• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

I want to kick strawberry jam guy's fucking ass. One or two hit and you can't see a shit unless you take cover and fucking wait so that it is visible again. I take cover and before I can see any shit, one enemy will run to my position and kill me.

FAMAS + Bling + Silencer and Holographic Sight = Awesome

I seriously can't seem to force myself to use anything else... even after I unlocked everything besides the Extended Mags for it.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Crunched said:
Yeah, I won't give up. I'm more aggravated than I've ever been, but this son of a bitch will be mine.

Almost threw my controller just now, finally got to the end only to be told "true veterans get headshots" and being sent back to the start :lol

Pattern in that vid is pretty close to what I was doing anyway, but it helped me recognize some entrances to watch. Seems like the NPC SAS characters in that tutorial were a lot more helpful than the ones in my game, though. My guys are happy to just sit back, I'm lucky if they've even caught up to the same room I'm in.

Pack it in for the night man. If you have been doing it that long your nerves are fried. I went at that level for about 3 hours one day and couldn't get it. Spent so much time angry at the game because random guys wouldn't react to the flash bangs. Like they must have blinked just as it went off or something. But I picked it up the next day and did it on my 3rd or 4th try. Just took some rest and I actually had the reaction time to do it.

I am so thankful that this campaign is enjoyable on Veteran. I love these games on these levels. But only when they work. CoD4 was ok. World at War was horribly frustrating and I actually gave up on my first game this generation. Couldn't get through the burning house with the Russian. Walked away from the game and never turned back. I had finished it on Hardened but wanted the Veteran cheeves. Treyarch makes really really bad CoD games.

ILOVEASIANS said:
Yeah. I think the Oil Rig was my favorite mission overall.
Barf.
That setpiece with the Thermal Sight is AWFUL on Veteran. One of the worst setpieces in the game, IMO. Can't hide next to those tanks cuz they'll blow up when the enemies shoot them. Can't run up because there's sharpshooter enemies at every window. Can't sneak up because there's a steady flow of enemies coming towards you while your teammates stand around being useless and not watching your back, thus leading to enemies coming up behind you.

Aside from that it was pretty decent/good, but that setpiece just fucked everything up for me.

Red

Truelize said:
Pack it in for the night man. If you have been doing it that long your nerves are fried. I went at that level for about 3 hours one day and couldn't get it. Spent so much time angry at the game because random guys wouldn't react to the flash bangs. Like they must have blinked just as it went off or something. But I picked it up the next day and did it on my 3rd or 4th try. Just took some rest and I actually had the reaction time to do it.

I am so thankful that this campaign is enjoyable on Veteran. I love these games on these levels. But only when they work. CoD4 was ok. World at War was horribly frustrating and I actually gave up on my first game this generation. Couldn't get through the burning house with the Russian. Walked away from the game and never turned back. I had finished it on Hardened but wanted the Veteran cheeves. Treyarch makes really really bad CoD games.
Eh, I was pretty tense but did end up finishing it. Feels good man.

I have been soured on these games because of CoD3 and 4's veteran modes. They're just... not fun. It's weird because I don't want to hate these games. They have moments that are incredible, and I have a blast playing them at those points. But everything in between is such a chore.

Remy said:
It says, on the back:

To view a full length manual, including credits, visit www.activision.com/en_US/manuals

There's something terribly sad that Activision can't even spare the expense to print the names of the people who made the game in the manual.

Of course, if you go to that URL - you get taken to the main Activision site. And should you go to Downloads -> Manuals, there's no MW2 manual for download.

Even the manual is broken. :lol
Yep, i went there too. So lame.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I just went 22-5 on sub base...I should NOT be going 22-5. Game is for n00bs confirmed :lol

I even got to call in my own Pave Low....was awesome, I racked up like a bitchton of kills. I had people calling me all kinds of slurs, so I knew I was doing well.

What is the helicopter that you actually get to pilot? I want to unlock that. What's it called?

Sai-kun

Banned
MirageDwarf said:
I want to kick strawberry jam guy's fucking ass. One or two hit and you can't see a shit unless you take cover and fucking wait so that it is visible again. I take cover and before I can see any shit, one enemy will run to my position and kill me.

Oh my god. I almost forgot about this. Holy shit. Jam was a bad choice.

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
Just beat the campaign on veteran. It's pretty mediocre stuff and incredibly easy compared to past call of duty games. Took me forever to beat COD4 on veteran.

ok what. the. fuck.

I keep reading little comments like this about the single player and it baffles me. I don't know, maybe cause I don't play games as much anymore, so when i do pick up a really qulaity game it kind of blows me away. but shit...this is probably one of the greatest single player games I have ever played. at least it feels that way right now....I mean holy shit...

Maybe some of yall are jaded? or am I just underexposed to gaming as of late period. Speaking with some of my friends they all agree (in regards to the game being stupid amazing), however they all don't play videogames as much these days either.

I dont know, maybe going to the club all the time and working so much..makes gaming a whole lot better?

I came into the thread to pretty much show my ecstatic-ness of how great this game is...and I read comments like "the first half of the campaign is boring" etc and Im just scratching my head like huh? What the fuck.

snack

Y2Kev said:
I just went 22-5 on sub base...I should NOT be going 22-5. Game is for n00bs confirmed :lol

I even got to call in my own Pave Low....was awesome, I racked up like a bitchton of kills. I had people calling me all kinds of slurs, so I knew I was doing well.

What is the helicopter that you actually get to pilot? I want to unlock that. What's it called?

Chopper Gunner.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Fixed2BeBroken said:
ok what. the. fuck.

I keep reading little comments like this about the single player and it baffles me. I don't know, maybe cause I don't play games as much anymore, so when i do pick up a really qulaity game it kind of blows me away. but shit...this is probably one of the greatest single player games I have ever played. at least it feels that way right now....I mean holy shit...

Maybe some of yall are jaded? or am I just underexposed to gaming as of late period. Speaking with some of my friends they all agree, however they all don't play videogames as much these days either.

I dont know, maybe going to the club all the time and working so much..makes gaming a whole lot better?

I came into the thread to pretty much show my ecstatic-ness of how great this game is...and I read comments like "the first half of the campaign is boring" etc and Im just scratching my head like huh? What the fuck.

Uncharted 2 is leagues ahead of this game in terms of story, setpieces, and just about everything else single player wise. Heck, even Batman is better. It's just unfortunate that this game came out after two-three blockbuster hits that really hit a home run...and COD6 is mostly more of the same.

Multiplayer is just as addictive as ever though, so it's easy to forgive.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
h4k said:
Chopper Gunner.
Cool, I could have had it, too. Damn. I have been reluctant to go for the big streaks because, well, I suck, but I've noticed so far that when I DO streak, I go big. Otherwise I just get mauled.

I suck on maps where elevation is important. I get destroyed on Quarry, and I even have a tough time on derailed. I am loving Skidrow, Highrise, and Sub base.

chubigans said:
Uncharted 2 is leagues ahead of this game in terms of story, setpieces, and just about everything else single player wise. Heck, Batman is even better. It's just unfortunate that this game came out after two-three blockbuster hits that really hit a home run...and COD6 is mostly more of the same.

I played and beat uncharted 2 and was blown away by that...but imo...this game destroys it.

played and loved batman as well...actually these are the only 3 games I have really played all the way through in like a year (next to shadow complex).

all were awesome, but codmw2 has blown me away...

I have some gripes with some MP tweaks, but one thing about this game makes MP sooooo much better. In the original MW, almost every single item in the environment was static. If you played hardcore, the second you saw something that was animated, you would shoot at it, and 9 times out of 10, you'd kill a person because NOTHING moved. Now we have paper and dust flying all over, pipes bursting, etc. It seems like they recognized that, too, and largely alleviated the issue. Kudos to IW for that.

Multiplayer is awesome. It's definately not the clusterfuck everyone was making out to be.
Maps seem a lot bigger for some reason. I just wish they had a shipment/dome style map. Lack of martyrdom is also a plus.

I will say the famas is beastly. I'm usually a smg kind of guy but i can't tear myself away from it.

Ten-Song

After having gone through a giant marathon with this game the day of release I thought I'd be a bit more mellow on it today, but goddamn I can't put the fucking thing down.

I've gotten REALLY lucky with supply drops I've noticed. I've gotten to control the AC-130 like five times simply by picking them up from supply drops. My friends hate me for it. :lol

Also, in ground war team death match, one of my friends NUKED THE FUCKING GAME. It was glorious.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Fixed2BeBroken said:
I played and beat uncharted 2 and was blown away by that...but imo...this game destroys it.
Ok then. Can't really argue with ya. In the end, it's just great to see games being enjoyed so much. :D

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
chubigans said:
Uncharted 2 is leagues ahead of this game in terms of story, setpieces, and just about everything else single player wise. Heck, even Batman is better. It's just unfortunate that this game came out after two-three blockbuster hits that really hit a home run...and COD6 is mostly more of the same.

eh? Batman was good but nowhere near the quality of MW2 in my humble opinion.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Cerrius said:
eh? Batman was good but nowhere near the quality of MW2 in my humble opinion.
Well to be fair I'm incredibly biased as I loved the animated series of Batman, and to see it done so well in videogame form was just mindblowin'. :D

chubigans said:
Ok then. Can't really argue with ya. In the end, it's just great to see games being enjoyed so much. :D

I dont know man....I think all the explosions and shooting is whats doing it for me in codmw2. Its really hard to compare uncharted 2 and codmw2 cause they are 2 such tottally different experiences.

snack

What do you guys like more: Chopper Gunner or AC 130? I've only used AC 130 once when I jacked somebody else's supply drop and I don't think I got one kill with it. I kept zooming in and shit, I had no idea what I was doing. But with Chopper Gunner, I just aim and shoot where the helicopter takes me. :lol

I didn't play the original MW; was all this aerial bullshit in that game too or was it added for this one? Maybe I'm just an old-school FPS curmudgeon who prefers his action up close and personal but in my games so far it feels like almost half my deaths come from death-from-above air strikes that I'm mostly powerless to prevent. This isn't a ragepost as I've actually been doing fairly well for a self-confessed 360 shooter n00b, but I just don't see what this element adds to the game. If IW was looking to add a way to introduce a lot of really cheap kills that require almost no skill, I'd say they've succeeded.

2real4tv

Arpharmd B said:
Ok so I don't want this game.

Yet. My whole entire friends list is playing it.

So.

I feel like a kid on the side of the road, and all my buddies just drove by me in a Humvee and splashed mud all over me. They were laughing and having a blast, meanwhile there I was sitting in the mud, all by myself, waiting for 20 minutes to find one match in SF4.

For real, man, I'm getting this I guess? Having never played a COD before, am I going to get Nuub Powned? I have played Halo, and was ok at it.

lol...Iam in the same boat...guess I will give in and get it tomorrow...lol

kitch9

Banned
Fixed2BeBroken said:

played and loved batman as well...actually these are the only 3 games I have really played all the way through in like a year (next to shadow complex).

all were awesome, but codmw2 has blown me away...

You nuts!? The 3rd act is how the game should have been all the way through. Multiplayer yes, but the single player for me started really only at the Oil rig. IW do quick infiltration routines very well, and it was annoying it took until well into the game ot get one.

kitch9 said:
You nuts!? The 3rd act is how the game should have been all the way through. Multiplayer yes, but the single player for me started really only at the Oil rig. IW do quick infiltration routines very well, and it was annoying it took until well into the game ot get one.

like i said, i dont know, maybe its cause I dont game as much anymore...but every single act has blown me away...its been like non stop awesomeness.

And if this is the case as to why this is so awesome to me..then I thank all the clubs/bars in DC/VA

btkadams

Fixed2BeBroken said:
like i said, i dont know, maybe its cause I dont game as much anymore...but every single act has blown me away...its been like non stop awesomeness.

And if this is the case as to why this is so awesome to me..then I thank all the clubs/bars in DC/VA
i was far more blown away by uncharted 2, but this game is great too.

btkadams said:
i was far more blown away by uncharted 2, but this game is great too.

for me uncharted 2 blew me away more in its execution, graphics (omg the views), characters, story...etc. the actual shooting segments and actual gameplay dont do it for me as much as codmw2 does. maybe its cause Im into fps. I mean dont get me wrong...all the shooting segments and gameplay in uncharted 2 were awesome and great...but codmw2 is so much better...but again, I attribute that to me being more of a FPS kind of guy.

h4k said:
What do you guys like more: Chopper Gunner or AC 130? I've only used AC 130 once when I jacked somebody else's supply drop and I don't think I got one kill with it. I kept zooming in and shit, I had no idea what I was doing. But with Chopper Gunner, I just aim and shoot where the helicopter takes me. :lol

I took Chopper Gunner from an enemy care package and went 27-5 xD Haven't used the AC-130 yet, but from what I've seen it's easier to rack up kills with the Chopper Gunner then with the AC-130. Untill people learn to shoot down choppers from the sky that is.

UFRA

Animator said:
I have managed to die to a fucking supply drop crate like 6 times in one game. There should be a trophy for that ... ;_;

It fell on you and killed you?? :lol :lol :lol

Animator said:
I have managed to die to a fucking supply drop crate like 6 times in one game. There should be a trophy for that ... ;_;
Sometimes it rolls into you at 1 mph and kills you. :( Fuck, the supply drop that has four crates is probably better than an airstrike.

snack

My only major pet peeve in this game would have to be joining a game that's basically already over, AND you're on the losing team. This happened to me so many times last night. Does this happen to any of you?

Banned
I have never played a CoD game before but want to get MW2 today. Do I need to have played CoD4 first?

does anyone recommend I play CoD4 first? Bear in mind that I just finished Uncharted 2 last night.

I like almost all the maps. Except Quarry. Quarry is the worst goddamn map ever.

Also the third person team mode seems like the most pointless thing ever. CoD Ass Mode! Now with even less aiming!

Animator

UFRA said:
It fell on you and killed you?? :lol :lol :lol

Yea man,

the first time it was when I called it. I was waiting for my turret to arrive and the crate dropped on the stairs and fucking rolled over me.

All the other ones were straight out of looney tunes. I would be running and suddenly a crate out of nowhere falls on my head :(

The best one was, I called in a supply crate but as soon as I threw the grenade I got killed. I spawned at the tactical insertion I dropped like 10 meters back and the same enemy saw me. He was aiming when the crate fell on his head and killed him. :lol

UFRA

h4k said:
My only major pet peeve in this game would have to be joining a game that's basically already over, AND you're on the losing team. This happened to me so many times last night. Does this happen to any of you?

Happened to me at least 3-4 times tonight...pisses me off.

UFRA

Animator said:
Yea man,

the first time it was when I called it. I was waiting for my turret to arrive and the crate dropped on the stairs and fucking rolled over me.

All the other ones were straight out of looney tunes. I would be running and suddenly a crate out of nowhere falls on my head :(

The best one was, I called in a supply crate but as soon as I threw the grenade I got killed. I spawned at the tactical insertion I dropped like 10 meters back and the same enemy saw me. He was aiming when the crate fell on his head and killed him. :lol

:lol That's some epic stuff right there.

I had no idea those things could kill you. I'm going to have to sit under a drop just for fun once. :D

Just finished the game. Impressions:
-Thought that the opening and closing scenes were perfect. I got goosebumps. So psyched for MW3.
-Airport mission was EXCELLENT. Shake that sand out of your vaginas, you whiny babies. Best "morality choice" in any videogame.
-The missions oscillated between absolutely amazing to uninspired. I'd rather have a campaign double in length rather than Special Ops, to be honest.
-My favorite mission was the Rio mission with Whiskey Hotel in second place. The White House mission was pointless and if I chose, wouldn't have been included.
-Captain Price's return went from "oh fuck this shit" to "aww yeahhh". For MW3 they really need to focus on your squad more. They can't just kill off loved characters like that.

All in all an excellent, excellent game, I just hope next time they have less playable characters, a more focused story (MW1 > MW2), and dial down the more ridiculous elements
and find a nice balance between cinematic explosiveness and SAS/Marine realism.

UFRA

h4k said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06MlRwcVojE

EPIC game winning knife kill. You have got to watch this.

That's just awesome.

I must say, I just love the throwing knife. What a cool addition. I use it with my Sniper class since I have my perks and guns all set to give me stealthy benefits (silencers, radar jammer, etc.) so sneaking up on someone and throwing a knife into the back of their head is pretty satisfying.

Also YouTube comments always crack me up:

dued27 (8 hours ago) Show Hide 0 Marked as spam Reply | Spam
I bet your friend that threw the knife is jesus

:lol

Top Bottom