• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

damn i couldve played the game today but the postman doesnt deliver on vet's day :(((

anyway, does anyone know if cod1 HD is available on xbox live yet? i ordered the hardened version and i believe it comes with a free download token...

amar212

Buckethead said:
I'd rather have a campaign double in length rather than Special Ops, to be honest.

Unspoiled it because it's an oppinion, not a spoiler.

Tto be honest, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Find a mate - online of split-screen - set to Veteran (3 stars) and go one by one. After 3rd Ops mission in Favelas you'll never remember single player again.

chubigans said:
Uncharted 2 is leagues ahead of this game in terms of story, setpieces, and just about everything else single player wise.

Uncharted is more cohesive and focused, certainly, but also it's far less original and ambitious than MW2. People need to get over it already. Yes, it's a fabulous game,
but it's also Indiana Jones in the video game world. It's charming, it's flashy, and it's
beautiful, but it's an adventure game with little substance beyond an emotional reaction.

MW2 in contrast is quite ballsy and original and the
Airport
mission alone
is sufficient enough to rouse an interesting debate or discussion. Analytical funtime!

And Uncharted is a console exclusive on a console with more raw processing power, created by a first party with unlimited budget. Naturally, it's going to have an advantage.

Apples and Oranges. Long story short, quit comparing the two.

Recoil

Buckethead said:
Uncharted is more cohesive and focused, certainly, but also it's far less original and ambitious than MW2. People need to get over it already. Yes, it's a fabulous game,
but it's also Indiana Jones in the video game world. It's charming, it's flashy, and it's
beautiful, but it's an adventure game with little substance beyond an emotional reaction.

Airport
mission alone
is sufficient enough to rouse an interesting debate or discussion. Analytical funtime!

And Uncharted is a console exclusive on a console with more raw processing power, created by a first party with unlimited budget. Naturally, it's going to have an advantage.

Oranges are way fucking better than apples, though.

Nachkebia

Banned
War between Uncharted 2 and MW2 single player campaign is so sad, both of the games are so retarded, abomination of narrative and storytelling, imbeciles unite!

danielijohnson said:
Yep, i went there too. So lame.

Ironically Activision were founded by a bunch of Atari employees that were fed up with not being credited for their work. Oh how times have changed, they're truly a company proud of their heritage..................

Zabka

Finished it on Hardened just under 6 hours. Pretty awesome throughout with some amazing moments, but the god damn blood effects almost ruined it for me. It's not just annoying because of its effect on gameplay, but because it totally fucks up the presentation. I probably spent 20% of the game with that shit all over the screen.

amar212 said:
Tto be honest, you have no idea what you're talking about.

I'm almost done with the Special Ops. On Veteran. 51 Stars as of now.

The MP section got beefed up immensely and already was to most, the main focus.
However, given MW 1's awesome but short campaign, despite being good, I can't feel but a little let down that the MW2 campaign was not given more depth as well.

Certainly many people want Co-Op, but the social need for me is fulfilled by MP.

So, yes I know what I'm talking about, maybe it's just my opinion?

Hanmik

Damn these retarded servers.. I was realy looking forward to playing online yesterday for the first time. But no way Jóse, the servers were down for PS3. So i booted up singleplayer and started to complete the game again, but this time on Veteran.. It´s not that it´s crazy hard on Veteran, it´s just some trial and error like the good old platform games.. I played for about 2 hours and when I stopped playing I was halfway through Hornet Nest.. but damn there are some frustrating moments, especialy when you are as old as me, and your reactions aren´t as good anymore.. :D

Nachkebia

Banned
Hanmik said:
Damn these retarded servers.. I was realy looking forward to playing online yesterday for the first time. But no way Jóse, the servers were down for PS3. So i booted up singleplayer and started to complete the game again, but this time on Veteran.. It´s not that it´s crazy hard on Veteran, it´s just some trial and error like the good old platform games.. I played for about 2 hours and when I stopped playing I was halfway through Hornet Nest.. but damn there are some frustrating moments, especialy when you are as old as me, and your reactions aren´t as good anymore.. :D

You forgot to mention strawberry marmalade :lol

brain_stew said:
Yep, the Call of Duty series sure is a bastion of originality. :lol :lol

uh, I think he means in the gameplay elements/scenarios that were presented in Codmw2 which is unlike anything you've experienced in any of the other COD games...and uncommon in most fps.

TheExodu5

Banned
Buckethead said:

Airport
mission alone

MW2 is more original? :lol

Singleplayer? Wouldn't say so.

Well f you Mw2, tried playing multi player game just now and it froze my ps3! I was only able to play one game and then couldn't find anything afterwards

Nelo Ice

Banned
i hate it when u completely dominate a game and ur team still loses

earlier i had back to back games where i had around 27 kills and less than 15 deaths yet my team lost :lol

TheExodu5 said:
MW2 is more original? :lol

Singleplayer? Wouldn't say so.

wow....that comment is so going over everyones head. There are alot of gameplay elements/scenarios that were presented in CODmw2 that is unlike anything youve seen in any of the previous COD games...and that are uncommon in most typical FPS. period. this is fact. I think that's what he was getting at. Not neccissarily the story and general concept of gameplay.

Sephon

Can anyone direct me to the page where in this thread where you shout and scream about which console is best for this game?

I just got the PC-version, since I thought it was the obvious choice for an FPS due to the controls, but I'm curious what the different strengths and weaknesses are with the different ports.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Stoney Mason said:
I'll just say pretty much like the infamous terrorist scene, I didn't take this in the manner you did. Some of the quotes are very anti-government and some are of the Dick Cheney variety. And without giving too much away, by the end of the game, this isn't the most patriotic story ever told from that perspective.

I have yet to finish it so I give it the benefit of a doubt. Thanks for the reply.

Just did a Ground War Domination game where 8 of us protected the 1 guy with the Nuke killstreak reward while he got 25 kills in a row. Needless to say, it was hilarious to see 1 guy with 30+ kills, and the rest of the team at 0, yet we still won.

Just played the Terminal map and got into a one on one shoving match as a Shield with another Shield user on the plane. I won the epic tard battle but have no clue how.

Yoboman

Fixed2BeBroken said:
wow....that comment is so going over everyones head. There are alot of gameplay elements/scenarios that were presented in CODmw2 that is unlike anything youve seen in any of the previous COD games...and that are uncommon in most typical FPS. period. this is fact. I think that's what he was getting at. Not neccissarily the story and general concept of gameplay.
You could say that for Uncharted 2

Sephon said:
Can anyone direct me to the page where in this thread where you shout and scream about which console is best for this game?

I just got the PC-version, since I thought it was the obvious choice for an FPS due to the controls, but I'm curious what the different strengths and weaknesses are with the different ports.

See here:

http://www.lensoftruth.com/?p=16236

and here:

http://www.pcgames.de/aid,699195/Mo...owser&image_id=1220187&browsersize=fullscreen

To summarise, the PS3 and 360 versions are damn near identically graphically apart from the odd bloom effect here or slightly different method of shadow filtering there but the PS3 will perform as much as 10-20% worse in high action scenes.

As ever the PC version is the best, not only does it receive the usual image quality boost (which goes a long way when the consoles use such a low resolution) but many of the textures see a major increase in resolution as well (its pretty striking in parts). Anything from a 8800GT up will deliver console level "60fps" performance at ~3x the resolution (1680x1050) so long as you have the standard 2ghz Core 2 and 2GB of RAM. Obviously you trade the harsh auto aim for precise mouse control as well. The PC version is definitely no where near where it should be but it absolutely is the best way to experience the game by some distance.

I'd say it goes something like:

PC>>360>PS3

Edit: Notice how all the signs and number plates are unreadable in the console versions but pin sharp in the PC version, you can't tell too well from that shot but even the character models have better resolution textures as well:

16822_mw2_122_735lo.jpg

Ignore the colour differences they should simply be different due to the different colour spaces TVs and monitors use.

Fixed2BeBroken said:
this is somewhat true. I will agree...however I think codmw2 is alot more edgier in this regard and pushes the envelope a hell of a lot further.

No.

But MW2 is still a great game.

EDIT:

I'm so pissed off that I did the Pit Run in 30.05 seconds, fucking bullshit.

Mik2121

Nov 12, 2009 17:08:00 JP OSAKA A DELIVERY CHANGE REQUEST FOR THIS PACKAGE WILL BE PROCESSED / THE PACKAGE IS BEING HELD FOR FUTURE DELIVERY. UPS WILL ATTEMPT DELIVERY ON THE DATE REQUESTED
Nov 12, 2009 15:54:00 JP OSAKA THE RECEIVER WAS UNAVAILABLE TO SIGN ON THE 1ST DELIVERY ATTEMPT. A 2ND DELIVERY ATTEMPT WILL BE MADE

FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Now it's arriving tomorrow morning... :(

Fuck UPS though. When I order with EMS and I'm not at home when they first deliver it, they always come again in the same day, but when I called to UPS (an hour ago) they told me they couldn't make a second delivery... grrr..
I'm not using UPS ever again. Even their customer service (where I had to call to ask them to deliver it again) is awful here..

Single player question

after killing Shepherd with a throwing knife, the single player ends for me and I see the credits rolling, I click and return to the main menu, and it says I only have completed 50% of the campaign mode, why is that, I completed the game shouldnt it be 100%?

I also have a question regarding makarov, did I ever get to kill him? I know there was a mission were I went to makarovs house but I have no memory of killing him

00011000 said:
I have never played a CoD game before but want to get MW2 today. Do I need to have played CoD4 first?

does anyone recommend I play CoD4 first? Bear in mind that I just finished Uncharted 2 last night.

You'll be fine playing MW2, but I definitely recommend playing the first as well.

robertsan21 said:
Single player question

after killing Shepherd with a throwing knife, the single player ends for me and I see the credits rolling, I click and return to the main menu, and it says I only have completed 50% of the campaign mode, why is that, I completed the game shouldnt it be 100%?

I also have a question regarding makarov, did I ever get to kill him? I know there was a mission were I went to makarovs house but I have no memory of killing him
What difficulty setting did you complete it on?
I completed it on Veteran with like... 15ish Intels collected and it said 90% complete.

Anyway, on an unrelated note, I had an excellent time with multiplayer tonight. Search and Destroy earned me 7 more friends to my PSN list in 3 hours of playing it. So fun, and so many good-sport gamers. <3 PSN

EDIT: Sorry, didn't answer the second part:
No, there's no closure on Makarov. Expect him in Modern Warfare 3?

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm training the lightweight perk...so I'm running nonstop and knifing.

Just went 19-15, 17-19. Not bad for knife only in open maps. :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I just bet the Fevala on Veteran (and the rest of Act I)!

This is the first COD game I've bothered trying to do that for. I'm having so much more fun this time. I died a fuuuuuck load of time on Takedown!, but this time I was prepared for it, so it didn't bother me as much. Especially since I realised that that section is actually really forgiving with checkpoints if you take the time to find a safe-section and lay-low for a moment or two.

I'm appreciating the game so much more at the moment. What a rush!

Oh and boourns to no achievement for beating the Fevala on Vet. I felt like I achieved more on that then I did with the rest of the game. :lol

AranhaHunter said:
No.

But MW2 is still a great game.

So, no, and heres why because game A and game B does these exact same game elements and presents these exact scenarios thus we have done this before in Game A and Game B thus why COdmw2 doesnt push the envelope further?

or just, "No."

as in...I just want to disagree but I can't really explain why.

Revolutionary said:
EDIT: Sorry, didn't answer the second part:
No, there's no closure on Makarov. Expect him in Modern Warfare 3?

wtf
that sucks! single player campaign way to short IMO! this game had the potential to be tied with uncharted for me but due to a lack of lenght in single player mode this game is second best of 2009

mr afghan jones

Neo Member
Cant believe anyone really think the SP is original in any way.

The main thrust of the plot is ripped straight from Red Dawn while other scenes are cribbed from the Rock, Con Air, Bond movies.

Its like Roland Emmerich and Michael Bay had a baby and called it Modern Warfare.

Its the sort of thing you grin at whilst playing through at the insanely OTT spectacle but make no mistake it is one of the most retarded games ever made.

Dumb fun? Certainly. Original? no way.

imtehman

Banned
Nachkebia said:
War between Uncharted 2 and MW2 single player campaign is so sad, both of the games are so retarded, abomination of narrative and storytelling, imbeciles unite!

this is what gets to me. People talking about how over the top MW2 single player is, and how the story is hard to follow and go on to praise UC2, did they forget that UC2 is in its own way over the top and hard to follow as well

Fixed2BeBroken said:
So, no, and heres why because game A and game B does these exact same game elements and presents these exact scenarios thus we have done this before in Game A and Game B thus why COdmw2 doesnt push the envelope further?

or just, "No."

as in...I just want to disagree but I can't really explain why.

As in MW2 does not push the envelope further than Uncharted 2, I'm not gonna explain why, play both games and see for yourself.

snack

What bluetooth headsets do you guys use on the PS3? I have the Official PS3 Bluetooth Headset and it picks up too much background noise. I changed my microphone level to 1 and it's still just as bad. I need recommendations for a new mic. Anybody?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Fixed2BeBroken said:
this is somewhat true. I will agree...however I think codmw2 is alot more edgier in this regard and pushes the envelope a hell of a lot further.
I would agree with this, but I think the game's overall execution of these 'edgy' elements is a hell of a lot more clunky than UC2's presentation of its 'ahead of the curve but not quite MW2 level' moments (the train, for instance).

Top Bottom