• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Finished the campaign today on Hardened. I enjoyed it. Their best campaign they have done imo and some genuinely exciting parts. I want them to add a cover system for the next game though.

Now on to immerse myself in MP (and a bit of Spec Ops) from here on out.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Geoff9920 said:
Man, maybe I'm doing something wrong, but "Takedown" was one of the single most aggravating gaming experiences I've had in a long time.
Preach!

That level sucked donkey balls. Don't want to imagine that on Veteran.

Crunched said:
Mmmm, makes it a lot easier passing this game up. Respawning terrorists are what killed CoD4 for me.
He's wrong, though. They don't infinitely respawn.
They were simply flanking the shit out of him and he didn't realize. :lol I've played through the level several times now to know.

The level makes it seem as though you're supposed to rush in and kick ass, but if you do that, you'll be getting shot at from everywhere in no time... which is what happened to him (and me my first few tries, of course).

imtehman

Banned
dark10x said:
Good lord, the Rio mission is f*cking horrible. It HAS potential in that the map is pretty open ended, but throwing endlessly spawning dudes on the top of buildings is just not fun. You are constantly getting shot from all angles. The game is rushing you the entire time, which will get you killed, yet it's pointless to hold back and take caution as the enemies are seemingly infinite. The feeling of completing each "mini scenario" like many of the best shooters does not exist. It's just this constant pounding.

I'm getting through it, but every death feels completely cheap. Sometimes you just step out and are being shot from god knows where and can't retreat to safety. Why in the hell did they feel it was a good idea to keep spawning enemies like this? It kills any satisfaction one might get from clearing a level. It's just straight up bad design.

I'm still very early, though, so I'm hoping things turn around (I've heard the first Act is the worst of the three, after all). It's just frustrating to me that the game is still designed like this.

smh. you do realize that if i was a bad guy, i'd tell my henchmen to u know, shoot someone at all angles, and it would be smart to get guys on the roofs too.

Perhaps you should lower the difficulty instead of crying about how bad you are?

Crunched said:
Mmmm, makes it a lot easier passing this game up. Respawning terrorists are what killed CoD4 for me.
I don't think the Favella area was as respwan heavy as hes making it out to be. But it was a bitch when
guys started showing up on the rooftops and when you had to go on the rooftop as well
. I only had trouble getting past one part of the game where
you needed to use thermal sight
and that was because I was a dummy and wasn't looking up to realize that I was not only getting shot by enemies on the ground but enemies on upper levels.

Just finished campaign on veteran. Very much enjoyed it. Sure, it's over the top and half the time I was struggling to keep up with the story but it plays really well, the guns feel great, it looks fantastic (imo) and I love the set pieces and bespoke elements to the gameplay. Veteran was tough for sure (I didn't try any other difficulties, I really enjoyed COD4 on veteran) but I never got controller throwingly frustrated. Anyway, great campaign and I really don't see what's wrong with a bit of OTT action in our games :)

kuYuri

When the EMP went off and the view was in space, were you playing from the point of view of an astronaut or something?

imtehman said:
smh. you do realize that if i was a bad guy, i'd tell my henchmen to u know, shoot someone at all angles, and it would be smart to get guys on the roofs too.

Perhaps you should lower the difficulty instead of crying about how bad you are?
In his defence, I will say that Normal in this game is probably Hard on most games. Most of the time its not that bad because there are a lot of checkpoints, but sometimes the difficulty spikes like a bitch.

Strider2K99 said:
When the EMP went off and the view was in space, were you playing from the point of view of an astronaut or something?
Yeah.
You were an astronaut who was doing a spacewalk on the International Space Station
. I actually didn't realize it (because I didn't touch the controls) but I believe you could move your view around if you wanted to.

Strider2K99 said:

Seems so, was very strange. Looked great though, certainly cleared up what the fuck was going on in the launch trailer :lol

Strider2K99 said:
Seemed that way.

I was so upset when all he did was get blown away, though... when I saw that tiny snippet in the commercial showing gameplay in space, I was like "holy shit how is that going to work??"... turns out it's just a 15 second cutscene with a controllable camera. Boo-urns. Poor guy got blown away into space, though. :(

RobbieNick

Either this game is much harder than the first, or I just suck. Halfway through the Rio mission, I had to drop the difficulty to recruit just to get through it. Luckily, you get the same trophies on easy as you so normal.

P.S. I HATE the blood splatter on my face as a sign of getting hurt. I liked the old way better. If I'm getting hit and need to run for cover, I WANT TO SEE WHERE I'M GOING!

NameGenerated said:
This, I have yet to be killed by a random grenade. Very nice.

In the little bit of MP I've played so far, I love what they have done with the grenades. I really like the physics on them also. The trail effect while annoying to purists was also the right call imo as it makes them easier to see and balances them somewhat also.

I had some really interesting things happen with them in SP so I'm looking forward to see some of those situations recreated in MP.

imtehman

Banned
infinityBCRT said:
In his defence, I will say that Normal in this game is probably Hard on most games. Most of the time its not that bad because there are a lot of checkpoints, but sometimes the difficulty spikes like a bitch.

meh, then put it on scrub/rookie or whatever the lowest difficulty in MW2 is called.

Crying about level design and tactics that a guerrilla group(or any fucking other person with a some common sense) would implement in a real world setting is just finding an excuse to compensate for his poor play.

dark10x said:
Good lord, the Rio mission is f*cking horrible. It HAS potential in that the map is pretty open ended, but throwing endlessly spawning dudes on the top of buildings is just not fun. You are constantly getting shot from all angles. The game is rushing you the entire time, which will get you killed, yet it's pointless to hold back and take caution as the enemies are seemingly infinite. The feeling of completing each "mini scenario" like many of the best shooters does not exist. It's just this constant pounding.

I'm getting through it, but every death feels completely cheap. Sometimes you just step out and are being shot from god knows where and can't retreat to safety. Why in the hell did they feel it was a good idea to keep spawning enemies like this? It kills any satisfaction one might get from clearing a level. It's just straight up bad design.

I'm still very early, though, so I'm hoping things turn around (I've heard the first Act is the worst of the three, after all). It's just frustrating to me that the game is still designed like this.

I just beat this like 45 minutes ago on Veteran and I didn't think it was worse than any other Veteran level on COD4. Some of them are cheap... this one while aggravating reminded me that I was on Veteran.

imtehman said:
meh, then put it on scrub/rookie or whatever the lowest difficulty in MW2 is called.

Crying about level design and tactics that a guerrilla group(or any fucking other person with a some common sense) would implement in a real world setting is just finding an excuse to compensate for his poor play.
Rookie mode is probably too easy for large sections of the game. There are just a few sections where the game's difficulty spikes.

That being said its nowhere near as bad as Metal Gear Solid 2. That game was way too easy on nomal, and on hard it was challenging but fair-- until you got to Arsenal Gear. The difficulty spiked through the roof. COD4 also had a terrible section in Chernobyl where you had to wait for the helicopter.

Stoney Mason said:
In the little bit of MP I've played so far, I love what they have done with the grenades. I really like the physics on them also.
I don't. They seem to be magnetized to me.

This one time in the campaign, I saw a grenade land maybe 10 feet in front of me... thought to myself "I bet it's going to roll towards me". Mind you, there is NO decline in the ground towards me.
Sure enough, it rolls directly in my direction and blows me up.
Sigh.

dark10x said:

You ever play a CoD game? It's been like this since forever.

Red

Masta_Killah said:
You ever play a CoD game? It's been like this since forever.
I think that's what he was pointing out. 6 games in (including the Treyarch games), and we still haven't seen an improvement.
Revolutionary said:
He's wrong, though. They don't infinitely respawn.
They were simply flanking the shit out of him and he didn't realize. :lol I've played through the level several times now to know.

The level makes it seem as though you're supposed to rush in and kick ass, but if you do that, you'll be getting shot at from everywhere in no time... which is what happened to him (and me my first few tries, of course).
Hush, you! I'm trying to justify my refusal to pay for this game.

I can safely say I almost never encountered the typical respawning issues of prior COD games and especially 4 which is why this was the best campaign imo along with a couple of other improvements.

There are sections where tons of characters come in waves or stages or move around or scripted setup encounters but it was never for the most part like COD 4 for me where I felt I had to move to deactivate the spawn triggers.

I could actually clear areas or kill people to clear areas and then take that position and when I died in the tough bits, it was actually a fair death imo in the sense that I simply didn't execute as well as I could have.

This one plays nothing like COD 4 in that regard to me at least on hardened.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Wow, I must be in the extremely small minority who enjoyed the
Favela
level.

Beat it on my first try on hardened, it was so satisfying busting a cap on those fuckers.

bloodline

Neo Member
I dunno if this has been posted here yet or not...cant seem to find it....but the games already been hacked on PC. Theres a video up over at 1up. Whats funny is with no dedicated servers, theres no admin to k/b these fools lololo1

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
AnnSwag said:
I really don't see why this game gets hyped so much. Sure MW1 was a good game but the hype for this is insane. I suspect a lot of casuals got sucked into the hype as well. I got this game the day it came out and I am blown away. Its amazing!
There are very good reasons for it, mostly grounded in the current social situation of a lot of countries. Entertainment thrives when economy's hurting. It's a well-known phenomenon.

Another thing is that the terrorist craze of the USA and the whole Army worship in mass media got to the youth of today. They want to surround themselves with stuff that addresses these topics in one way or another.

I brought this up somewhere else, but if you look at book top ten lists around 9/11, the RAF attacks, first Oil War and so forth, they're pretty telling concerning how people think en masse.

And don't forget that a lot of dudes expect the same kind of entertainment they got out of MW1, so that's why they buy.

The thing is that for MW1, people started jumping on the bandwagon even long after it was released; now they're on it from the start, so you'll see a sales peak right now, and over the coming two years, sales will eventually be around the numbers of MW1, plus the crowd that jumped on as newcomers.

Reviews scores have little to do with this, I'm pretty sure of that.

unomas

Banned
Beat both COD 4 and WAW on Vet. when my copy comes in tomorrow I'm all over this on Vet. WAW was more difficult to me than COD 4 on Vet, there was one level in particular that was just pure BS. I'm sure MW2 on Vet can't be any harder than either of it's predecessors.

Liquidus said:
Now none of the PSN accounts on my PS3 can sync their trophy lists, thanks IW for breaking my PS3. I'll pay $5 for the fix.

Yep

Pretty big problem right now it seems on the Playstation boards.
I can't sync my Borderlands trophies =(

DevelopmentArrested said:
This game feels much more forgiving on the monster closets than CoD4. Then again, I haven't played on Veteran yet.
Guys pop out of windows behind shutters like three times in one of the levels. If you look in the window, there's nothing there but like a small closet. It's absolutely absurd and feels like a shooting gallery.

I love it, though. Because even though you get killed the first time, you nail the bastard on the next run.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
One thing that still bothers me is the absolutely horrid third person spectating camera in S&D.

It's spazzes out all the time, isn't responsive, and just seems pointless. Why bother IW? Just leave it at first person spectating.

DevelopmentArrested said:
This game feels much more forgiving on the monster closets than CoD4. Then again, I haven't played on Veteran yet.

It is. At least on hardened.

There are far far fewer moments where I said bullshit like in COD 4. Like I said when I died or there was a tough bit, I generally always felt like I could have done that better and not died. Or taken a different approach.

That was not the case in COD 4.

Like I said my major complaint about the campaign is that the game needs a cover system for the SP. I'm always annoyed when a game has the AI doing animations I can't do.

And there are situations in MW 2 where you need to sort of pop out just to identify where people are and the cost of that is sometimes taking a few bullets. I'd much prefer a fps cover system like in Killzone 2 so I can sneak peak around corners.

Otherwise though there was a lot I liked in this campaign from a gameplay perspective. It was a big step up from COD 4. Honestly I didn't have high expectations for the campaign as I mostly enjoyed COD 4 as multiplayer experience but this game surprised me. I was compelled to finished the single player and rather quickly which is always a good sign.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
AgentOtaku said:
Yep

Pretty big problem right now it seems on the Playstation boards.
I can't sync my Borderlands trophies =(

Fuck, I knew something was wrong. I unlocked a trophy in Demon's Souls tonight and when I tried to sync it would get stuck at 87%. I guess it's time for 3.02 or something.

Stoney Mason said:
It is. At least on hardened.

There are far far fewer moments where I said bullshit like in COD 4. Like I said when I died or there was a tough bit, I generally always felt like I could have done that better and not died. Or taken a different approach.

That was not the case in COD 4.

Like I said my major complaint about the campaign is that the game needs a cover system for the SP. I'm always annoyed when a game has the AI doing animations I can't do.

And there are situations in MW 2 where you need to sort of pop out just to identify where people are and the cost of that is sometimes taking a few bullets. I'd much prefer a fps cover system like in Killzone 2 so I can sneak peak around corners.

Otherwise though there was a lot I liked in this campaign from a gameplay perspective. It was a big step up from COD 4. Honestly I didn't have high expectations for the campaign as I mostly enjoyed COD 4 as multiplayer experience but this game surprised me. I was compelled to finished the single player and rather quickly which is always a good sign.
MW2 is so, so far behind when it comes to SP mechanics that it's almost laughable. It's still really fun because the guns are interesting, it's twitchy, and the sound design is pretty brilliant, but games have long since surpassed it.

I shouldn't like it, but I do. Plus it's nice that the levels vary wildly. I'm excited every time I finish a mission to see what the next one will look like.

Docpan

This is one of those increasingly rare instances on ps3 that support 1080i and 720p, as opposed to just 720p.

Oddly, I've noticed that my playstation menus, etc, look better in 1080i, while games in 720 look sharper.

Is there a way to force mw2 to run in 720 without completely disabling 1080 from the display menu? Is there really even a difference, or am I just imagining things?

Epic Tier 3 Engineer said:
MW2 is so, so far behind when it comes to SP mechanics that it's almost laughable. It's still really fun because the guns are interesting, it's twitchy, and the sound design is pretty brilliant, but games have long since surpassed it.

I shouldn't like it, but I do. Plus it's nice that the levels vary wildly. I'm excited every time I finish a mission to see what the next one will look like.

I'll go ahead and disagree for the most part. I actually found the gun play engaging and the combat engaging in the single player which generally isn't the case in COD games. I thought this was a very credible SP experience. I can see someone not liking the style of it or preferring a different style of single player game and there are some specific complaints I have but for the most part I enjoyed it and not in an embarassing I wish this was like Halo kind of way.

It's a different style of shooter but I'll honestly say this one makes a credible case for being different. There were some utterly unique moments I loved in this one that I haven't really felt in other fps games. The favela and suburb fighting especially.

btkadams

fetching playlists forever (ps3 version), but on the bottom it shows a friend is playing a game of domination in some level. so im connected but not?

Nizz

Crunched said:
You tell 'em bro.

Possibly unrelated, but I decided to finish up the first Modern Warfare today. Had stopped on the mission "All in" in the first one because it was stupidly frustrating on veteran (but then, what isn't?). Made it through and have been playing Mile High Club on and off for the past three hours :lol

It's just ridiculous. Can't stand the campaign in this game, but I'll be damned if I don't get this achievement.
Can I suggest to you this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VmLBb4_8bY I followed it to a tee and beat Mile High Club on Veteran last weekend.

Disappointing to hear all the problems with online and Trophies with the PS3 version of MW2. Hopefully these problems are ironed out by the time I get the game in a fucking week or so (last time I go with super saver shipping from Amazon)...

Top Bottom