• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

robertsan21 said:
wtf
that sucks! single player campaign way to short IMO! this game had the potential to be tied with uncharted for me but due to a lack of lenght in single player mode this game is second best of 2009
:lol
I totally agree. Uncharted 2 is unquestionably the best single player campaign of the year (and GOTY, if you ask me). It's unfortunate that they somewhat copped out with the ending of this game and are just going to put out another one to milk us for more money. The last few lines of the campaign are a sure sign of this.

"The whole world is going to be hunting us after this"
"I know a safe place"
(clearly not verbatim)

OUTER HEAVEN??!

imtehman said:
this is what gets to me. People talking about how over the top MW2 single player is, and how the story is hard to follow and go on to praise UC2, did they forget that UC2 is in its own way over the top and hard to follow as well
What the fuck?

UC2's story may be over the top but it's SUPPOSED to be grounded in fiction. It's fucking Indiana Jones in videogame form. When was the last time you heard about someone finding the Holy Grail? C'mon now.
As for hard to follow... what?!?!?! :lol

AranhaHunter said:
As in MW2 does not push the envelope further than Uncharted 2, I'm not gonna explain why, play both games and see for yourself.

I have, and I could explain why it does...and when I say envelope...it is in regards to scenarios more than anything.

however, you are not going to explain because you can't. You just want to disagree out of bias towards a game, as opposed to just looking at both objectionably.

S1lent

h4k said:
What bluetooth headsets do you guys use on the PS3? I have the Official PS3 Bluetooth Headset and it picks up too much background noise. I changed my microphone level to 1 and it's still just as bad. I need recommendations for a new mic. Anybody?

You have a noisy house or something? I don't have problems with my Official headset...

mr afghan jones said:
Cant believe anyone really think the SP is original in any way.

The main thrust of the plot is ripped straight from Red Dawn while other scenes are cribbed from the Rock, Con Air, Bond movies.

Its like Roland Emmerich and Michael Bay had a baby and called it Modern Warfare.

Its the sort of thing you grin at whilst playing through at the insanely OTT spectacle but make no mistake it is one of the most retarded games ever made.

Dumb fun? Certainly. Original? no way.

what makes this dumb, is you are only talking about the story in which no one ever said the story of MW2 was original.

snack

S1lent said:
You have a noisy house or something? I don't have problems with my Official headset...

Nope, not noisy at all. :lol

Nothing's more annoying then seeing your own mic icon keep flashing with the slightest sounds. It's dead quiet when I play. Just the volume of the game, and nothing else.

What mic level are you using?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I had no problems with the length or ending. I felt like I got a satisfying pay-off -- while still leaving really clear room for a direct sequel -- and felt like the game ended just before it overstayed its welcome (the drama curve from standard military stuff to OMG serious business was spot-on, thus making the short length seem totally acceptable to me). UC2 was also a great length for what it was, but thanks to the general nature of the gameplay and the light-hearted tone, I would have been fine playing even more! Whereas MW2's "here's something shocking, here's something shocking, OH GOD EVERYTHING IS GOING TO SHIT" tone could really only grab my attention for so long before fatigue would've set in. It would have become tedious.

uncharted 2 story hard to follow??

okey......maybe you should stick to super mario bros for NES, or maybe thats to complex aswell??

now back on topic, MW2 is over the top but thats a good thing

imtehman

Banned
Revolutionary said:
What the fuck?

UC2's story may be over the top but it's SUPPOSED to be grounded in fiction. It's fucking Indiana Jones in videogame form. When was the last time you heard about someone finding the Holy Grail? C'mon now.
As for hard to follow... what?!?!?! :lol

and MW2 with its FICTIONAL take of a Russian invasion of the U.S. Can't be over the top? sheesh

Chrange

Banned
Someone told me about the secret route to the top of the south building in Highrise so I made a private game and tried it out. Got almost to the top and someone shot me dead lol, I'd left it open and Jube joined and BUSHWHACKED ME!

Got to the top anyway - it's a nice overview of the map, plus a furry surprise awaits :D

10x94xj.jpg

33cp3lz.jpg

Fixed2BeBroken said:
I have, and I could explain why it does...and when I say envelope...it is in regards to scenarios more than anything.

however, you are not going to explain because you can't. You just want to disagree out of bias towards a game, as opposed to just looking at both objectionably.

I'm not gonna explain because I'm not gonna get in an e-peen I'm right you're wrong contest with you.

And btw, you don't sound biased at all, not in the least.

imtehman

Banned
robertsan21 said:
uncharted 2 story hard to follow??

okey......maybe you should stick to super mario bros for NES, or maybe thats to complex aswell??

now back on topic, MW2 is over the top but thats a good thing

UC2 is as hard to follow as MW2, which is to say, NOT HARD TO FOLLOW AT ALL, which was my point.

Does anyone feel that the weapons feel a bit too noob friendly? I've yet to move from the M4A1. I don't feel I need to and I'm level 21 now.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
dude, MW2 was extremely hard to follow!

if anyone can explain in clear, simple terms what Shepard's motivations were throughout the game (with spoiler quotes, obviously) I'll give them a fucking internet-penny. Because I'll be fucked if I could figure it out.

I didn't know why I was going what I was doing most of the time. Thankfully just trusting that I was killing the bad guys was enough to guide me through most of the game.

imtehman

Banned
MarkMclovin said:
Does anyone feel that the weapons feel a bit too noob friendly? I've yet to move from the M4A1. I don't feel I need to and I'm level 21 now.

noob friendly how? i don't know about you guys, but i would think that if i used a real life M4A1 at a target and sprayed and prayed the whole clip at least 1 bullet would hit it.

ZeroRay

Rez said:

if anyone can explain in clear, simple terms what Shepard's motivations were throughout the game (with spoiler quotes, obviously) I'll give them a fucking internet-penny. Because I'll be fucked if I could figure it out.

I didn't know why I was going what I was doing most of the time. Thankfully just trusting that I was killing the bad guys was enough to guide me through most of the game.

Plus the fact that a lot of the story takes place through battle chatter which you can't pay attention to since shit is blowing up everywhere.

I didn't even know what Price and Makorov were saying at the Airplane Graveyard, didn't even realize they were talking until the conversation was almost over.

Rez said:
I had no problems with the length or ending. I felt like I got a satisfying pay-off -- while still leaving really clear room for a direct sequel -- and felt like the game ended just before it overstayed its welcome (the drama curve from standard military stuff to OMG serious business was spot-on, thus making the short length seem totally acceptable to me). UC2 was also a great length for what it was, but thanks to the general nature of the gameplay and the light-hearted tone, I would have been fine playing even more! Whereas MW2's "here's something shocking, here's something shocking, OH GOD EVERYTHING IS GOING TO SHIT" tone could really only grab my attention for so long before fatigue would've set in. It would have become tedious.

do not agree, I liked this story and I wanted more and they could have turned it into something good at
the end but they decided to cut it short so they can give us MW3 in the most obvious way ever, now if they would release MW3 within 6 months then I would be OK with it, but we all know that aint happening so
fuck IW!

the way it ended was so horribly done wrong, its like watching a movie and at the most intense scene the film stops and credit starts rolling with the text watch the rest of the film in 2 years, bye

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
ZeroRay said:
Plus the fact that a lot of the story takes place through battle chatter which you can't pay attention to since shit is blowing up everywhere.

I didn't even know what Price and Makorov were saying at the Airplane Graveyard, didn't even realize they were talking until the conversation was almost over.
yeah, I'm certain that the in-game 5.1 mix is borked when it comes to in-game chatter. I had no problem hearing it on a friends TV, but at home I missed that entire conversation as well.

ZeroRay said:

MW2 was hard to follow, as you say, total shitstorm going on while over the com some guys are talking about the story, I also did not realize that makarov and price where chatting until it was almost over :lol

most of the time it was like this, I just stopped caring and keept on killing

imtehman

Banned
Rez said:

wasn't he trying to incite a war using subterfuge in order to exact revenge from teh first MW? sounds pretty easy to follow to me assuming you're familiar with MW1. And ffs, i do recall the narrative even saying that, essentially spelling it out in our faces. what's so hard to follow?

at least this is more easy to follow instead of
Nate being omniscient to the nuances of the whole shambala/resin/cintamani stone thing, which hey, was also spelled out for us through the narrative much like mw2

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Rez said:

I pretty much sat like a big quesiton mark in front of my TV when the story was unfolding during the "briefings" (like the invasion -- what the fuck?) and Shepherd explained things :lol

I hardly remember anything about COD4's story either. The thing about the COD-games have never been the story -- which in general is very bland and uninteresting -- but instead it's all about the setpieces.

imtehman said:
UC2 is as hard to follow as MW2, which is to say, NOT HARD TO FOLLOW AT ALL, which was my point.
I apologize for my post, then. I thought you were being sincere in saying that both games' stories were hard to follow. :lol

Cartman86

Banned
Fantastic game with single player not quite as good as MW, but still among my top 3 of the year so far (along with Uncharted 2 and Batman). My final impressions with SPOILERS

+ Awesome additions to multiplayer (shooting UAV's out of the sky, custom kill streeks, new perk features)
+ Breaching doors
+ Music
+ No more respawning enemies!!!
+ Chapter with the multiple restaurants was AMAZING
+ Still love the sequences with the "stealth"
+ IW really knows how to mix up context sensetive gameplay with the gunplay. From the climbing of mountain climbing to the hanging from rope kills to the crazy end of game pulling knife out of chest.
+ EMP taking out all the choppers and red dot was really cool
+ Some really cool set pieces (snowmobile, beginning Generation Kill stuff, getting killed a couple times, airport craziness etc.)

- Aim going crazy AND bloody jam all over screen was a little too much.
- Some weird transitions that seem like a step back towards COD2. This led to some confusion as to what I was doing.
- Every Villain had little to no characterization. Barely saw them either. Missed opportunity here
- Ended a little too quick (Pacing was off towards the end)
- Stuff in the US should've had some civilians to make it even more meaningful

- Oh and IW showed way too much. They should've left the US stuff out of the trailers completely.

imtehman said:
Just finished single player campaign and really enjoyed it! But had no clue what happened with the story LOL Why did
the traitor guy become a traitor and what happened to the russian guy? Was the war over???

mr afghan jones

Neo Member
imtehman said:
wasn't he trying to incite a war using subterfuge in order to exact revenge from teh first MW? sounds pretty easy to follow to me assuming you're familiar with MW1. And ffs, i do recall the narrative even saying that, essentially spelling it out in our faces. what's so hard to follow?

Well yeah its easy to follow in as much as that is literally what he says. Its not easy to follow in terms of it making absolutely no fucking logical sense whatsoever as to why he does that or even exactly what his involvement is. Personally I find the whole MW thing of the between mission bits being intel & briefings rather than actual cutscenes makes the whole story really clunky as its hard to get a handle on the characters and their relationships.

who are the hundreds of soldiers working for Shepherd when he goes bad? are they US army or just general baddies?

imtehman

Banned
roman2003h said:
Just finished single player campaign and really enjoyed it! But had no clue what happened with the story LOL
Why did the traitor guy become a traitor and what happened to the russian guy? Was the war over???

might want to spoiler tag that

S1lent

h4k said:
Nope, not noisy at all. :lol

Nothing's more annoying then seeing your own mic icon keep flashing with the slightest sounds. It's dead quiet when I play. Just the volume of the game, and nothing else.

What mic level are you using?

Oh, okay. I think mine is set to level 5, but my game volume is usually pretty low.

imtehman

Banned
mr afghan jones said:
Well yeah its easy to follow in as much as that is literally what he says. Its not easy to follow in terms of it making absolutely no fucking logical sense whatsoever as to why he does that or even exactly what his involvement is. Personally I find the whole MW thing of the between mission bits being intel & briefings rather than actual cutscenes makes the whole story really clunky as its hard to get a handle on the characters and their relationships.

who are the hundreds of soldiers working for Shepherd when he goes bad? are they US army or just general baddies?

i would guess its probably guys which would be the equivalent of blackwater, private military contractors
but this is just strictly a guess

LowParry

Beat the game. Loop holes with story. So many questions. I loved the set pieces for the game though. Beat on Vet. What a fucking disaster that was but very very pretty. I'll play around with spec op later but for now, it's all about MP.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Sorry guys I know Im in the minority here, but the I think the SP campaign is nothing short of SUPERB! I found it more enjoying than even U2. I played and completed it in one 8 hour sitting and it was a completely satisfying rollercoaster ride. How any of you can say the SP is shit is beyond me. Totally worth the $60 just for single player alone!

Just my $0.02

isamu said:
Sorry guys I know Im in the minority here, but the I think the SP campaign is nothing short of SUPERB! I found it more enjoying than even U2. I played and completed it in one 8 hour sitting and it was a completely satisfying rollercoaster ride. How any of you can say the SP is shit is beyond me. Totally worth the $60 just for single player alone!

Just my $0.02

why did it take you 8 hours???? took me 4 and a half.. which i don't mind.. did you play on hardcore, because in that mode the game just pisses me off!

Really enjoying this game online. Anyone else a fan of the SCAR? I do miss the team tactical playlist. Oh and getting a kill with a throwing knife is the most satisfying thing ever. so much fun

You do know what the ending of MW2 means though, right?

Price/Soap co-op campaign extravaganza. Or not because I don't think IW would do something that awesome.

imtehman

Banned
roman2003h said:
just did.. edit your post as well :) just didnt feel like it was possible to spoil this game.. just feels kinda random

and to answer your question, there was a part where
Captain price has this whole speech about how if shepard lives his truth is the truth etc. So what happen was the story showed just enough to know what will happen in the future (through price's dialogue), but at the same time leave it ambiguous for mw3 (i'm guessing) What we do know is that, without actually showing us the outcome, the truth would be revealed and that Shepard will be seen as a war criminal because shepard died. He would of been seen as a war hero if he lived and everyone else died.

isamu said:

Just my $0.02

I'm not that far into the game; just beat favela, but I'm enjoying it as well.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I'm far from finished with the SP campaign, but three or four missions in I'm slightly disappointed. All the annoying shit from the previous games are still here and very much present in the levels I've played so far. The favelas was a nightmare for me to play through. There's a section I hard to replay ten times because I got shot from every direction by respawning enemies as soon as I stepped out.

Insaniac

So, has anyone found a practical use for the throwing knife? seems utterly pointless besides being an amusing toy once in a while. It's range is pitiful, might as well toss a grenade or sprint closer for the stab, and it doesn't throw any faster than a grenade to make it useful as a quick kill.

imtehman said:
noob friendly how? i don't know about you guys, but i would think that if i used a real life M4A1 at a target and sprayed and prayed the whole clip at least 1 bullet would hit it.

Firstly, you can get an easy kill from across the map. No way does the 'range' bar graph line make any difference how high/low it is. Next to no recoil. Sniper rifles are too powerful - People are shooting with a kill before even fully looking down the sight.

And fuck the people who jump and kill as well. FFS, this isn't Halo. The rifle should be pointing down when you're jumping, just like when your running.

ItsInMyVeins said:
I'm far from finished with the SP campaign, but three or four missions in I'm slightly disappointed. All the annoying shit from the previous games are still here and very much present in the levels I've played so far. The favelas was a nightmare for me to play through. There's a section I hard to replay ten times because I got shot from every direction by respawning enemies as soon as I stepped out.

It does get better.

Okay, we've got a bunch of speculation about why (do not highlight unless you've beat the game)
Shepherd betrayed 141, but what is the real reason?
My theory was because 141 knew about "No Russian" and he simply wanted to tie up loose ends with that, and make sure no one could tie him to the incident. But then, there's other theories out there... what's the real reason?

LowParry

Insaniac said:
So, has anyone found a practical use for the throwing knife? seems utterly pointless besides being an amusing toy once in a while. It's range is pitiful, might as well toss a grenade or sprint closer for the stab, and it doesn't throw any faster than a grenade to make it useful as a quick kill.

One hit kills. Even at a distance if you hit their feet. I kid you not.

Mik2121

I have one question regarding the multiplayer.

How many stats get recorded? Is it really deep? I'm a stats-whore :p, so I was wondering how much info do we get.

Some screenshots of the stats screen would be much appreciated :)

Top Bottom