• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Sandman42

I just figured out my new favorite class:

Primary Weapon: Doesn't matter(anything light like an SMG)
Secondary Weapon: USP w/ Tactical Knife
Blue Perk: Marathon Pro
Red Perk: Cold Blooded Pro
Yellow Perk: Ninja Pro or Commando Pro
Equipment: Tactical Insertion
Special Equipment: Flash Grenades(x2)

I basically just run around and knife people in their faces. It's amazing how many knife kills I can get on a small or medium sized map by just running behind enemy lines and taking them out one by one. I ended up on the top of my team for like 5 straight games. I've only tested this strategy on Team Deathmatch, so I'm interested to see how it does in objective and groundwar playlists.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
The Riot Shield is so much fun to use with a friend, or even by yourself. When they reload or swap weapons just toss a throwing knife in their face. :lol

So I've done the first two sets of Spec-Op missions on Vet and 3-starred everything except that damn Bomb Squad mission. Damn that mission! Damn it right to hell!

If somebody wants to play Spec Ops shoot me an invite. I should be on most of tomorrow. I haven't tried it yet. My GamerTag is over in that thread on the online forum.

DukeSucks

Unlocked akimbo on the UMP. Used it with bling and rapid fire. Can't see me using it too much, but it was ridiculous.

Also got my first sentry in a care drop. Didn't get any kills with it (surprised since it was on highrise), but I did camp it and killed several people trying to sneak up and destroy it.

jiien

Razor210 said:
I think the problem is that they think they're stealing an enemy crate. I nearly did to a teammate, and then I realized he was running over to take it, so I stopped.

I got the game immediately when it launched at midnight, and pretty much started on the multiplayer immediately (which worked out, because when the PSN went down later, I went to singleplayer), but my immediate thought when using care package drops was that they WERE for my teammates. For some reason, my impression was that they were for my team (you even get points when an ally picks yours up), so I kinda never assumed it was "mine".

In fact, sometimes when I got them, I was in too crucial a spot to hold for my team that I would chuck it back behind my team for one of them to get (or chuck it toward a party member, since I like to play TDM with a few of my friends), and then continue covering them as they picked it up.

IMO, that's the way it should be.

Edit: Of course, that kinda ruined the system because then no one would pick it up (if I had "nice" teammates), so then I had to run back and get my own. : ) I don't use them anymore anyway, but yeah, I wish that they had designed it such that you COULDN'T pick up your own care package (at least in team based modes, of course).

mileS said:
posts like these always confuse me. Oh I played this new game on my beefed up gaming PC then I played the console version. Oh man it was like not as good looking! can you believe it?

nobody needs to be reminded the the PC version can look better... nobody.

On the same token, why does it annoy you so much if its mentioned when you already take it for granted? If it doesn't bother you then why do you need to get all defensive when somebody brings it up? How exactly can it affect your enjoyment of the game?

MrPliskin

Banned
^^^^ It's probably because the manner in which you present these facts comes off as nothing more than elitist attitude than genuine concern.

I've downloaded the patches, still not getting trophies...wtf?

Mikey Jr.

Regarding PS3 version/hardware:

Anyones fat PS3 constantly reading the disk? Not sure if it's my PS3 or the way the game is handled, but it sounds strange. Like every 2 seconds, it'll make this whoop sound like it read the disk, go to normal, 3 seconds later, sound again, etc etc.

Anyone have this? FAT PS3.

Mikey Jr. said:
Regarding PS3 version/hardware:

Anyones fat PS3 constantly reading the disk? Not sure if it's my PS3 or the way the game is handled, but it sounds strange. Like every 2 seconds, it'll make this whoop sound like it read the disk, go to normal, 3 seconds later, sound again, etc etc.

Anyone have this? FAT PS3.

Yes. Upgraded 60GB here. I believe it's because they're streaming the textures off the disc. Pretty sure CoD4 just loaded the entire map into memory, but MW2 streams higher quality textures, so as you run around it's loading the next set.

G_Berry said:
Just traded my copy in at eb.
Until there is a local search option (Australia) IW can blow me. 90% of games are red / yellow bars with horrid lag which is unplayable. Not to mention the joy of 1 American joining a room full of Aussies and pulling host time and time again.

I'm getting to old for this shit

Agreed... Except I didn't take it back, still hoping for IW to come to their damn senses and include a local search. Does anyone have the quote of Robert Bowling saying they'd patch it in if international players weren't happy or something like that?

MrPliskin said:
^^^^ It's probably because the manner in which you present these facts comes off as nothing more than elitist attitude than genuine concern.

I've downloaded the patches, still not getting trophies...wtf?

IDK if the patches still have some old fixes but i Just delete the old patch and download the latest one. I get trophies just fine now.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
NameGenerated said:
The Riot Shield is so much fun to use with a friend, or even by yourself. When they reload or swap weapons just toss a throwing knife in their face. :lol
Maybe I've just encountered people using it wrong, but I haven't been killed by a single person using a riot shield. I've either been able to semtex them, destroy the shield, or just run around and knife them (when I was using marathon + lightweight).

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
vatstep said:
Maybe I've just encountered people using it wrong, but I haven't been killed by a single person using a riot shield. I've either been able to semtex them, destroy the shield, or just run around and knife them (when I was using marathon + lightweight).
That's pretty much how you kill shields. Or shoot them in the feet if they are standing. Doesn't seem like a lot of people know that yet though so I've been having lots of fun with it.

I even got the smasher challenge of Afghan, kill 3 in a row with shield bashes :p

vatstep said:
Maybe I've just encountered people using it wrong, but I haven't been killed by a single person using a riot shield.

Same here. Uncharted 2 trained me pretty well in dealing with these guys though.

Zinthar

jiien said:
I got the game immediately when it launched at midnight, and pretty much started on the multiplayer immediately (which worked out, because when the PSN went down later, I went to singleplayer), but my immediate thought when using care package drops was that they WERE for my teammates. For some reason, my impression was that they were for my team (you even get points when an ally picks yours up), so I kinda never assumed it was "mine".

In fact, sometimes when I got them, I was in too crucial a spot to hold for my team that I would chuck it back behind my team for one of them to get (or chuck it toward a party member, since I like to play TDM with a few of my friends), and then continue covering them as they picked it up.

IMO, that's the way it should be.

Edit: Of course, that kinda ruined the system because then no one would pick it up (if I had "nice" teammates), so then I had to run back and get my own. : ) I don't use them anymore anyway, but yeah, I wish that they had designed it such that you COULDN'T pick up your own care package (at least in team based modes, of course).

I completely agree. In the few instances that I'm actually good enough to get one, I alert my teammates to it and let them grab it if they happen to be closer. At the very least, you'll get some cover so that you can grab it, or provide it for them to get it.

SlickVic

Wow domination is pretty fun 6v6. I used to play this on CoD4 PC on 48 player servers and never could do shit in this mode as every capture point was so strongly defended. With the lower player counts I'm actually get my fair share of captures each round. Have to see if I'll like S&D more too once I unlock it.

I kept bagging on IWNet for lowering player counts but damn, I'm digging MP so much more now. :lol

mcrae

just tried riot shield combo. got one knife kill, one grenade kill (w/ a flash lol) threee gun kills with a scar i picked up, and 5 melee kills with shield. this was on the desert map with the downed airplane, it worked well, a couple people really did run away :lol . went 10-4, going to keep trying this out for sure.

btw, PS3 gaffers, add me, tag is in the online forum thread

edits:
went 10-10 on that inner-city fighting map. the smaler one, with the area full of chickens. not the one with tanks.. couple of those were gun kills

went 16-4 on the map thats on the top of an office building, 12 knife/melee kills, 2 sentry kills and two gun kills.

this build is fun

If you shoot a riot shield with an AT-4, will the guy die?

if you have a strong enough gun, and empty a clip into the upper part of the riot shield, it breaks and the person dies... its happened to me before.. not sure what type of gun is the cutoff limit, i imagine bullet penetration helps. the thing is that most people don't realize this and either aim for your feet (then you crouch) or run away

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wow. Just put me in a match that spawned me ON a fucking claymore, then respawned me by two teammates one second before a predator missile hit all of us to end the game. I wish I could set an option to always have me join a lobby, I fucking hate the midmatch joining since it usually puts you in a game right about to end or just a team getting completely fucked by the other team.

Got a heartbeat sensor now and already did a lot better in my last match on Derail(another shitty map). Now I can camp back to all these campers, yay.

Anerythristic said:
First post in this thread, I sat down and completed the campaign last night. I have one question.

What the fuck did he mean "remember no russian?" Also when yur ACS module goes down, you should change your ACS code A.S.A.P...just sayin'

They're Russian terrorists attacking a Russian airport while pretending to not be Russians. Talking Russian like a native would spoil that, not to mention everyone there would understand what was said and would be able to react. The Boss Russian was reminding his guys not to use their native language.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Papercuts said:
Wow. Just put me in a match that spawned me ON a fucking claymore, then respawned me by two teammates one second before a predator missile hit all of us to end the game. I wish I could set an option to always have me join a lobby, I fucking hate the midmatch joining since it usually puts you in a game right about to end or just a team getting completely fucked by the other team.
I don't understand why this happens at all. You'd think it would be a fairly easy fix. It happens to me waaay too often — on average, out of ten games joined, one or two are always in progress and about to end. I honestly don't care about wins/losses, it's just frustrating.

On another note, Rust is insane. One second I love it, the next I hate it. It's such a small map that you're basically spawning on top of one another; the totals end up being ridiculous most of the time. I just had a game where the winner went 30-25, and everyone else was either 1:1 K/D or worse.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I love hardcore mode...never played it in COD4 before. It's like the good ol' days of Counterstrike Xbox.

Also just tried the FAL and...not seeing why it's getting so much love. :(

remz

Neverender said:
Agreed... Except I didn't take it back, still hoping for IW to come to their damn senses and include a local search. Does anyone have the quote of Robert Bowling saying they'd patch it in if international players weren't happy or something like that?
I've had like one match with a green connection out of hundreds without, it's fucking ridiculous.

Eric WK

Finally decided to equip the Nuke as one of my killstreaks and I'm getting it much more often than I expected. Once I hit seven kills I pop the Harrier then the Chopper Gunner almost always gets me to the Nuke. Once I finish the challenges associated with it I'll stop using it.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Is there a playmode that doesn't have the killstreak rewards?

And after more play, I've decided that these maps are too complex for their own good.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
vatstep said:
I don't understand why this happens at all. You'd think it would be a fairly easy fix. It happens to me waaay too often — on average, out of ten games joined, one or two are always in progress and about to end. I honestly don't care about wins/losses, it's just frustrating.

On another note, Rust is insane. One second I love it, the next I hate it. It's such a small map that you're basically spawning on top of one another; the totals end up being ridiculous most of the time. I just had a game where the winner went 30-25, and everyone else was either 1:1 K/D or worse.

Yeah, not only do you join a game you can't really even accomplish much in, but then you get the ending stats and then the lobby into next map. I just want to go into lobbies all the time, or matches just starting. I've had this complaint since 4, I'm surprised it's still like this.

commish said:
Is there a playmode that doesn't have the killstreak rewards?

And after more play, I've decided that these maps are too complex for their own good.

I wish. :\

rush777

mileS said:
posts like these always confuse me. Oh I played this new game on my beefed up gaming PC then I played the console version. Oh man it was like not as good looking! can you believe it?

nobody needs to be reminded the the PC version can look better... nobody.

Amen brother!

VaLiancY

<Enemy chopper gunner arrives on the map>
<Aims an AT4 at it>
<Enemy chopper gunner pops flare>
<AT4 rocket goes to the North Pole>
<Facepalm>

MrPliskin

Banned
DMPrince said:
IDK if the patches still have some old fixes but i Just delete the old patch and download the latest one. I get trophies just fine now.

No, I just didn't realize that you had to FINISH the section for the trophies to be awarded for some things (like Train the Militia). Got the 30 second trophy though, and I think that'll be one of the hardest. Playing through on veteran now, should be exciting!

played some multiplayer and then a friend asked me if i wanted to do some spec ops. got to the 30 star mark, cleared the first set and almost the whole second set on veteran plus a couple other missions in the later sets. the stealth missions are my favorite, doing it in co-op we would see two stragglers and i'd take left and my friend would take right and we'd count down and kill them quick. a few of the stealth parts we played through so much that we pretty much knew where everyone was everywhere and could take them all out one by one like clockwork.

Wallach

Definitely would like to see Hardcore mode do away with killstreaks altogether. The camping you get on some maps is downright ridiculous. Hardcore mode is campy enough as it is.

KGKK

Banned
WTF is this matchmaking BS. I'm only level 4 and I am getting into team games with level 30's and 40's. Well at least I did not come in last place in those games:lol

jiien

commish said:

Agree so much. I usually play with three friends in TDM, so I sometimes there are at least four of us on the team that are coordinated. Even that isn't enough on some maps to watch each other's backs, and such. Which is a bit ridiculous IMO. I can imagine how frustrating it must be to not even have that, because people tend to barely work together in TDM.

KGKK said:
WTF is this matchmaking BS. I'm only level 4 and I am getting into team games with level 30's and 40's. Well at least I did not come in last place in those games

Maybe I'm missing something, because a lot of people have mentioned this in this thread, but I'm curious: was it really ever any different? I don't seem to remember WaW having any special matchmaking... I never really got into CoD4, did it have better matchmaking than this? Or is this just the norm that people expect nowadays? I'm just curious, not trying to start anything.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
KGKK said:
WTF is this matchmaking BS. I'm only level 4 and I am getting into team games with level 30's and 40's. Well at least I did not come in last place in those games:lol

i think it just matchmakes the least lag room

Calen

KGKK said:
Matchmaking considers player skill, not your in game level. Also, if you've just started, you're assumed to be of average skill until you've played enough matches for it to make a more reasonable decision.

HoTHiTTeR

Has anyone seen, or does anyone have a chart that shows the weapons and their damages w/ and w/o the perks like Stopping Power? Very curious to change around my perks and weapons but was curious about damage rates.

I know someone did this for GRAW a long time ago, I figure COD fans had to have made this too.

God, Favala (Map with about 30 small buildings) is such a miserable map to play. All 7 of my deaths were from people sitting in a corner watching the door.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the very section of the first real mission in MW2 is weird. did anyone actually enjoy shooting tiny dots in the distance with your grenade launcher? there was very little feedback as to whether or not what I was doing was right. I don't know why they bothered leaving that section it, it seems to me the game would have been better off starting on the back of the truck.

Top Bottom