• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Mohonky

I'm not really getting into MW2. I played more of Call of Duty 4 online than I have a other game ever, but playing MW2 is just dull.

- No local search filters. I figured this might not be such a big problem but it has been. Getting a lot of overseas rooms. Was surprised to hear they weren't using a local search option like Treyarch had for WaW. Can't see why they didn't use that tech since it was so readily available.

- No party chat. It pissed me off when they announced it and playing the game has done nothing to change my mind on the subject. Rooms full of racist fuckwits, screaming kids and people playing shitty music for everyone to hear over their microphones. Can't chat with mates playing different games either. They took one of the best features of Live and dictated no one could use it. I subscribe to Live I should be the one to decide whether I use it or not. Cheaters are just going to use another chat program over PC if they really feel the need too, punishing everyone for that is bullshit. The argument of forcing players to atleast communicate to form strategies is laughable, racism, screaming, music and 4 letter words aren't a tactic.

- Maps are too big. Maybe I'm alone on this, but the maps are just too large. It means virtually every map turns into a complete snipe fest. I don't mind using a sniper at times but not every map and it feels like snipers have the advantage on virtually every map on the game, which means players are camped out which in turn means the whole 'run and gun' gameplay on some of the tighter maps in CoD4 doesn't exist in MW2.

- No hardcore headquarters. My favourite game mode. They added it to CoD4, they added it to WaW and for some reason they geniuses at Infinity Ward decided yeop lets drop that game mode. Why? So you're left with Hardcore Deathmatch. Which leads back to the previous problem; every map has a team full of snipers. You're dead before you can do anything because snipers are camped out picking you off before you've even had a chance to move or even see an opponent and with no actual objective to perform, you can camp out as long as you want. I used to love Hardcore Search and Destroy but I've played it enough now, I want something a lil faster.

I'm just not feeling this game at all now. I was absolutely pissed at the mess Gears of War 2 was online, that lag infested fuck fest complete ruined the MP for me and I gave up on it months ago bitterly disappointed because I loved the original. I figured oh well I'll wait for MW2, at least after MW they can't possibly fuck that up and yet with every announcement of the multiplayer I was baffled by the decisions but still hopeful. Now however, I'm actually just kind of over it. I've played more Borderlands than I have MW2 and when I am actually trying to get into MW2 I'm thinking maybe I should just go back and play some more Forza 3.

At this point in time, if they added new maps to Call of Duty 4, I'd rather buy them and play that than MW2.

Continuing to grind through single-player, being thrown into one random mission to another. Lots of yelling. Plenty of dieing. On pace to beat it in 6 hours.

And the party chat thing pisses me off, too. I hate talking with other people on Live. Most love cussing every other word, or enjoy calling everything "gay" and I'm a "faggot" for laughing at someone's gamertag name with my friend and so on. God. I have to play Ground War with my friends, just because it allows party chat, and we have to deal with many people in small maps. Ugh.

Another pet peeve: before this game, I would have said give me 60fps over a nicer-looking 30fps. But the graphics are really lacking, IMO. Eh, sacrifices, I guess.

Nachkebia said:
Man, I am not enjoying maps :( none of the maps I really love, most of them are fine but nothing lovable :D

The ONLY map I love here is probably Terminal. That map is a good time. Everything else can die. I instantly loved at least 5 maps in CoD4, but these are pretty meh overall. So much camping, and basically no hotspots. Everything feels random.

remz

Insaniac said:
so, what exactly does the tac-knife do for the pistol? I hear faster melee but it seems exactly the same.
If you have the pistol out the animation is completely different, so I guess it's faster.

Mik2121

Man, Xbox Live must be full of kids and shit, because I've been playing (almost 10h already) all the time online on the PS3 and I have yet to hear any insult. Everybody speaking is usually quite nice.

So what does scrambler actually do and is using ninja better for a stealh class?

I agree about the map sizes. I used to main sub machine guns, now I just sit back and snipe with the famas.

methos75

Banned
Mik2121 said:
Man, Xbox Live must be full of kids and shit, because I've been playing (almost 10h already) all the time online on the PS3 and I have yet to hear any insult. Everybody speaking is usually quite nice.

It depends, I ran into a bunch of shit heads this morning playing it on the PS3, also bear in mind that everyone and their mother has an headset on the XB360, not many do in my experience on the PS3 so you hear less idiots.

BigKaboom2 said:
I don't know if this is common knowledge but you can one-hit kill a sentry gun by knifing it. :lol

Two hits with the riot shield. It's funny to push forward on it then take it out with your shield. :lol

Jube3

Mik2121 said:

Yea as stated above its just that every retard is given a mic. Theres a ton of nice people on live, they are just drowned out by the 3 screaming kids in a cod match. Ive done now what eric recommended to me and thats basically mute everyone at the start of the match. Great solution infinity ward, instead of me shooting the breeze with my buddies while I play some COD I know have the option of listening to sound effects or someone start rapping lol.

Im also in the camp that is having trouble finding a map to love. Terminal jumps out at me and I could play that all day. Theres tons of action, great choke points at burgertown, the terminal and the bookstore all next to each other and a good size from one end to the other. I also like favela, while its more camp than Im used to (LOVED run and gun in cod4 crash ftw :D ) I enjoy the firefights there. The maps feel more like waw or the cod4 DLC than the original cod 4. But who knows maybe its just that I havent played them enough.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Who's idea was it to drop the M60? And who was the other person who told this dude that that shit was a good idea?

Mr.NiceGuy said:
About to finish Act II.

How many Acts in this game ? because I'm already fed up.

Ya I haven't even finished the Airport mission and I prolly wont play single player again.

Nachkebia

Banned
Net_Wrecker said:
The ONLY map I love here is probably Terminal. That map is a good time. Everything else can die. I instantly loved at least 5 maps in CoD4, but these are pretty meh overall. So much camping, and basically no hotspots. Everything feels random.

Exactly, Terminal is so far the most likable...

rodvik

Jube3 said:
Yea as stated above its just that every retard is given a mic. .....

.....Im also in the camp that is having trouble finding a map to love. Terminal jumps out at me and I could play that all day.

Standard operating procedure for me nowadays is to reduce the voip volume to zero. If I want to talk to my friends we just call each other on the phone. If I leave it on I just hear something that makes me mad, takes the fun out of the game.

For maps I like Invasion, Karachi and Terminal, least favourite is Wasteland.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
cjelly said:
Isn't Terminal just a slightly larger Broadcast?
Smaller, if anything.

Some maps do seem to have this randomly generated feel, but the same was true of CoD4. It makes me wonder how feasible it would've been to implement a a user-end map editor.

I suppose it's only a matter of familiarising yourself with the chaos of each location's geography. We're all getting there, hour by hour.

purg3 said:
My fav as well. kind of reminds me of a Rainbow 6 map, probably why I like it so much.

Yesssssss. I didn't really get into Rainbow 6 Vegas adversarial modes (Terrorist Hunt 4 Life), but it really does remind me of the Expo Center in R6V2. It's a great map.

They should just have a DLC pack with the 5 best CoD4 maps in different times of day/weather, and I would be fine with that.

Cataferal said:
Some maps do seem to have this randomly generated feel, but the same was true of CoD4.

The only map that felt like this game in CoD4 was Countdown, and EVERYONE hated that map. Pretty much all the other ones were very focused on specific hot zones which both teams got rotated around as the spawns would change.

mcrae

i dont get the love for terminal... probably because i die on it often, :lol . too much white... i dunno, no real reason to dislike it, but my ratio there is always lower than elseware

A lot the maps are way too big. Terminal is perfect. The rest just don't seem designed well or take their inspiration from China Town, which is an awful map. I hate to say it but WaW had better maps.

Tzeentch

Finally got bored of maxing out my UPK45, so I went with the SCAR. SCAR + Holo Sight = LOVE :D Pity I basically NEED to have Scavenger though, as you start out with an absolutely laughable amount of ammunition.

UFRA

Mik2121 said:
So I'm the only one enjoying Escape (the map with the house on top of the hill)? D:

Is that the one that's Makarov's "hideout" mansion sort of thing in the forest?

If so, I love that map. Great for sniping, especially in Search and Destroy.

Mik2121

UFRA said:
Is that the one that's Makarov's "hideout" mansion sort of thing in the forest?

If so, I love that map. Great for sniping, especially in Search and Destroy.
I've not played SP all that much so I can't tell (I got up to the terrorist mission), but yeah, it's the one with the cabin in the woods. I love it, and the house/cabin itself reminds me a lot of Counter Strike!.

Finally unlocked the Bling perk. Rockin' my M4 with a grenade launcher and holographic scope. Is it just me or does the FAMAS work better with a red dot? I can always line it up with someone's head and end it quickly. I guess its because its burst vs the M4 being rapid fire.

There are some multiplayer maps I just cannot stand. So many ways to get snuck up on. Need to get used to them I gather, but I still have the old maps from the original COD4 beta in my top list.

I liked the singleplayer a lot. Very solid experience for me, much better than the first in most aspects. Do not like the blood splatter. It should be patched. Removing a players vision in an FPS game is FUBAR. Spec Ops is a blast, although sometimes it's exceedingly difficult.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Had a nice 3-4 HQ games tonight grinding out a couple Grenade Launcher challenges. The launcher doesn't normally fit my play style, so playing HQ was a nice way to wrack up those kills without it feeling too "grindy."

It also gave me a chance to knock out the first few Danger Close and Scavenger perk challenges - two perks I don't normally use.

It wasn't an amazing build - my K/D was about the same as normal. But it was certainly a much faster and much more fun way to get those kills than team deathmatch would have been. I also had one AMAAZING kill at the sub base. I launched a nade at a dude moving perpendicular to me that was waaay on the other side of the stage. I actually had to lead him by a good amount. I wish I could have seen the kill cam :(

Mik2121

Kydd BlaZe said:
Woops :p

Yeah, dunno why I posted Escape. I think I got it mixed the first time and I just didn't bother checking the name again.

But yeah, Estate, Terminal and Highrise are my current favorites.

But we need some darker level as well.

Alf-Life

--- SP SPOILERS BELOW ---

Aww man, finished the campaign last night and I'm torn...

Was a slick ride, for me the 3rd Act of COD4 dragged on - none of that here. BUT - man... the end... when Ghost (he's Gav, I guess? -- quick imdb search shows yes) goes through all that shit... that stupid Defend mission that really shows you how good L4D's finales are... and then gets shot... you realise they left behind the valour of WW2 for some stupid Middle-rate Action Movie Shite. And they already used that shooting you in the gut as you board a vehicle trick.

Anyway, good campaign, but disappointing their new stuff (astronaut, etc) didn't kick as much ass as COD4 when it first arrived on the scene.

Oh well, on to SpecOps which looks cool, and MP which should last me :)

I'm going to around to see a mate later tonight but he doesn't have LIVE. Can I just bring my HDD and plug it in to his console so that I get the achievements for the Spec Ops? :D I don't think I can sign in and retrieve my profile if he's not on LIVE, right?

Slightly off-topic, I know, but it's all in the name of MW2 completion. :p

UFRA

_Alkaline_ said:
If you like sniping or like to be stealthy, Wasteland's great.

This.

Why does everyone hate Wasteland so much? :/

I've found certain areas where if you press yourself right up against the outer walls of the map, you can blend in with the vegitation that's growing on the wall and it's perfect for sniping. :D

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Alf-Life said:
--- SP SPOILERS BELOW ---

Oh well, on to SpecOps which looks cool, and MP which should last me :)

you can use spoiler tag next time with [.spoiler]spoiler[./spoiler] without the .
spoiler

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
UFRA said:
This.

Why does everyone hate Wasteland so much? :/

I've found certain areas where if you press yourself right up against the outer walls of the map, you can blend in with the vegitation that's growing on the wall and it's perfect for sniping. :D
That's half the reason people hate that map, because of the way people sit out there and snipe. If you kill them, they'll just go do it again.

NeoUltima

Hey now, Highrise is a great map. Wasteland is good too. There are some gems in there...but yeah a lot of the maps are mediocre.

edit: guess i am in the minority of liking wasteland lol

There's a difference between camping and finding a good position though.

If someone gets higher ground or finds a clever spot that gives him an advantage, that's fine. They found the spot, they deserve to reap the rewards.

If someone sits in a dark corner though, that's just shit. That said, the people who do this are almost always easy to kill straight after since they foolishly tend to stay in the same location every single time.

Top Bottom