• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Hanmik

bdouble said:
Its not really the game mode. Its more about getting the unlocks. If you keep choosing new guns (that you aren't absolutely horrible with) and getting the bonuses for those and unlocking things you will get all that extra exp. Using different perks and what not will also help.

ok. thank you.. I know the weapons give lots of Xp when you master them. It´s not that I´m slow at leveling, I like the pace. I was just wondering how some of my friends made it to the top of the list in VERY short time.. and all I see them playing is Domination..

sangreal

R2D4 said:
I never realized you could shoot down Helicopters and Harriers with a Predator Missile until I did it last night. Awesome.

Doesn't this come up during the campaign?
at the nuclear sub base i believe

I've done it with an AC-130 also, and I wouldn't be surprised if any of the bombing killstreaks did the job.

mr_boo

The Lamonster said:
How do I make sure I'm on the same team as my friend in Team Deathmatch? It's annoying when they scramble the teams after ever game. Will it keep us together if we're in the same Party?
You have to enter the waiting lobby with your team - in other words, form your team first via invites and than search for an active game lobby. If you invite your friends while you're already in an active game lobby, that's when they start putting friends on different teams.

Question for someone else: Do Sentry Gun (5 Kill Streak) count towards your active kill count? I already know that Kill Streaks from Care Packages do not. I just worry about the Sentry Gun cause it's essentially dropped like a Care Package.

So I have a .7 K/D ratio, and I couldn't care less. I've already racked up around 300 kills with the SPAS-12 and sprinted 32 miles. It's hilarious just running and gunning, it really seems to catch people off-guard. Spas+GRIP+Steady Aim is a beast.

Edit: I mentioned the sprinting because I used lightweight+marathon. All of this equals a KILLER headquarters set-up.

sangreal said:
Doesn't this come up during the campaign?
at the nuclear sub base i believe

I've done it with an AC-130 also, and I wouldn't be surprised if any of the bombing killstreaks did the job.

Yeah, if you have things in the air like harriers or choppers they sometimes shoot down the enemy air support as well (or at least the Harrier will, havent used the attack chopper/pavelow). I've used the AC130s machine gun to mow down enemy air support too(cant seem to hit the infantry with it, so I drop the 105 on them, a couple of the second weapons, and then shoot air support with the smallest gun for a few second while I wait for the big guns to reload.)

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
i wish i never wasted a kill steak unlock on the tact nuke but at the back of my head i think i will get it one day

LowParry

divisionbyzorro said:
And that's why I gave up on the airdrop bonuses. Too much work, and too unpredictable.

It's not that bad but it's good on the care packages because I've had times where I've had two AC160's drop. On the other side of the fence!

unomas

Banned
danielijohnson said:
So I have a .7 K/D ratio, and I couldn't care less. I've already racked up around 300 kills with the SPAS-12 and sprinted 32 miles. It's hilarious just running and gunning, it really seems to catch people off-guard. Spas+GRIP+Steady Aim is a beast.

Edit: I mentioned the sprinting because I used lightweight+marathon. All of this equals a KILLER headquarters set-up.

I can appreciate this post, too many people seem to post about a 2.0+ K/D ratio but the only way to do that is to camp like crazy and not put yourself out there too much. You can carry a .7 K/D ratio and have plenty of fun with this game. Personally I'll probably be a 1.0 when it's all said and done, that was where I was at on COD 4.

Kentpaul said:
i wish i never wasted a kill steak unlock on the tact nuke but at the back of my head i think i will get it one day

Mmmm...kill steak....

steak.jpg

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
J Tourettes said:
It worked! Thanks once again. I only guessed the Scar as it's my favourite as well.
Great! Yeah, the Scar is terrific. Tried out the FAL but ended up going back to the SCAR after a while.

You know what kind of perk I'd like to see? A thick vest of some kind that cuts knife melee damage in half (but doesn't protect from bullets). The Pro version could be impervious to Riot Shield strikes.

Man, I could use one of those.

Holographic aiming feels better to me...it sways with the user as to where the gun will be firing, instead of the red dot that looks straight ahead no matter what (and slightly less accurate.)

Holographic is great for moving and shooting, but red dot sight works for no movement situations.

bdouble

Hanmik said:
ok. thank you.. I know the weapons give lots of Xp when you master them. It´s not that I´m slow at leveling, I like the pace. I was just wondering how some of my friends made it to the top of the list in VERY short time.. and all I see them playing is Domination..
Yeah domination is a good place. Just because there are so many ways to score points. Defending offense but you have to capture stuff. If your winning in F4A you get a lot of exp too.

unomas said:
I can appreciate this post, too many people seem to post about a 2.0+ K/D ratio but the only way to do that is to camp like crazy and not put yourself out there too much. You can carry a .7 K/D ratio and have plenty of fun with this game. Personally I'll probably be a 1.0 when it's all said and done, that was where I was at on COD 4.
Some games I go 10 and 23, some games I go 23 and 10. It's just not a big deal to me. I'm not even bad at the game, i just don't like subscribing to other people's idea of how to make the game fun.

bdouble said:
Yeah domination is a good place. Just because there are so many ways to score points. Defending offense but you have to capture stuff. If your winning in F4A you get a lot of exp too.

Headquarters is good too, although it doesn't seem as good as it was before. S&D is also good, but only if you know what you're doing.

bdouble

unomas said:
Not completely true. I was .68 before I started playing f4a last night and went up to .8 something. Wasn't camping one bit. Was playing pretty much exclusively with the build I posted earlier.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
GuessWho said:
can someone explain me the advatage of holographic aiming? How is it different then red dot?
There's been discussion about this on the last couple of pages. Some people seem to think that the holographic sight gets more in the way than the red dot sight, but I think that's pushing it a bit. The holographic seems to zoom in a bit more than the red dot, which makes it slightly more effective at mid-to-long range, but not disadvantageous at close range like when using the ACOG.

Sushen

unomas said:
I suspect some of them are exaggerating their k/d as well, since there is no way to confirm or who would bother. Definitely it's tougher to have high k/d compared to COD4. And, I wish they take out k/d so that people can concentrate on winning the match rather than sitting in corners while your team needs help.

Dynamic3

chubigans said:
Great! Yeah, the Scar is terrific. Tried out the FAL but ended up going back to the SCAR after a while.

You know what kind of perk I'd like to see? A thick vest of some kind that cuts knife melee damage in half (but doesn't protect from bullets). The Pro version could be impervious to Riot Shield strikes.

Man, I could use one of those.

Holographic aiming feels better to me...it sways with the user as to where the gun will be firing, instead of the red dot that looks straight ahead no matter what (and slightly less accurate.)

Holographic is great for moving and shooting, but red dot sight works for no movement situations.

I think that's just your mind playing tricks on you. My holographic reticle certainly doesn't move within the sight.

In real life, the benefit of the holographic sight is that it allows you to keep both eyes open when looking through it, widening your field of view. As for in-game, no idea...

Fugu

Dynamic3 said:
I think that's just your mind playing tricks on you. My holographic reticle certainly doesn't move within the sight.

In real life, the benefit of the holographic sight is that it allows you to keep both eyes open when looking through it, widening your field of view. As for in-game, no idea...
Actually, that's the difference; the physical red dot isn't centered when turning with the red dot, while with the holographic sight, it is. Try turning as fast as you can with a red dot and seeing what happens to the location of the dot.

HooCares

Neo Member
Can someone who's 70 or prestiged confirm how killstreaks are unlocked?

I'm level 40~ something and have only unlocked 4. Will I get the rest by the time I'm 70?

Also, tactical knife people: What's so good about it? Commando by itself already seems pretty awesome. I hate using pistols so I haven';t unlocked tac knife. Explain why it's good please.

butts

HooCares said:
Also, tactical knife people: What's so good about it? Commando by itself already seems pretty awesome. I hate using pistols so I haven';t unlocked tac knife. Explain why it's good please.

Not only does it look badass, it also swings a lot faster.

I have been using this plus Marathon/Cold Blooded/Commando and doing really well (like others). I tried Lightweight with it as well but winded up getting camped too much and found it a lot harder to flank. Besides, with a P90 or Mini Uzi you can still move damn fast.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
butts said:

I'll give you the badass thing, but the swing speeds look the same to me. I speculated that the Tactical Knife would be faster since there has to be SOME advantage, but I didn't notice one.

HooCares

Neo Member
butts said:

I have been using this plus Marathon/Cold Blooded/Commando and doing really well (like others). I tried Lightweight with it as well but winded up getting camped too much and found it a lot harder to flank. Besides, with a P90 or Mini Uzi you can still move damn fast.

Thank you. I will give it a try. Now which pistol to level up with.....

Mik2121

unomas said:

I definitely don't put myself out there too much, and still have tons of fun. I'm not a camper either (in fact, completely hate the Wasteland level because it's full of campers), though I admit I might stand in the same place for a couple kills if I find a very good spot, but I always keep moving around, just not exposing myself.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Knifing campers in the back is probably my favorite thing to do in this game ever.

I've lost so many kills going for knife kills instead of just plugging them in the back from a distance because I want them to feel the shame of their actions :lol

My K/D ratio is at 1.11 right now and slowly rising. Ever since I've switched to my ninja build I've been having some pretty intense murder sprees.

Also switched up my killstreak rewards to be a bit more dominant.

5: Predator Missile
7: Harrier Strike
11: AC130

Once I got the 5, it's possible to immediately go right to the Harrier Strike with a double kill and then pretty quickly go into the AC130 if the Harrier does it's business.

A kill chain like that is pretty damn brutal if you can get the initial 5 consistently.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Son of Godzilla said:

I want to love the FAL, but I'm not so sure anymore. It has the exact same stats as the SCAR, except it's semi-auto and has more recoil. I think that's bogus. The FAL should at least do a little more damage or something. While I've perfected hammering on that trigger (G3 player in CoD4), the advantages of the FAL aren't entirely clear to me. I can get Long Distance kills very easily with the SCAR. I can even softly depress the trigger to get single shots with the SCAR, like the FAL, except with less kickback.

Am I missing something?

HooCares said:

Its fucking fun as hell. It's like using a complete stealth class(cold blooded, silencer, ninja) for the first time. Its addicting once you come up behind that first group of 3 or 4 people. They dont even see it coming. Its not my normal class, but if the guys on the other team are pissing me off, I humiliate them.

I think the Care Package is a *much* better reward than anything else below 7. Being able to pull out airstrikes and such for 4 kills is insane, and it allows you to create ambush sites on demand.

And honestly, if you can reliably get to 5, it ain't harder to get to 7.

Care Package + Harriers + Chopper Gunner is my default.

Cday

Banned
Got it last night and played for 5 hours straight. It's amazing how superior this game is to CoD4. It makes me sad to think there will be no point in playing CoD4 ever again. Even though it's a great game.

On another note I'm going to have to buy a 360 game case off ebay or something because this gigantic hole in both sides of the box shit is not okay.

Son of Godzilla said:
Seriously, how can yall not fucking love Afghan? It's a sniper map that punishes snipers. It's perfection.

I don't see the hate for Afghan, it's perfectly simple. Found it to be one of the simplest and most straight forward of all the new maps which are full of clusterfucks of debris and verticle hiding places.

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
anyone unlocked the M16? Is it 3 rd burst like previous? Looking at the stats it looks like quite a badass gun.

bud said:
afghan is the worst map everrrrrr
Afhgan is one of the best maps in the game. Don't hate.

Zanboo said:
anyone unlocked the M16? Is it 3 rd burst like previous? Looking at the stats it looks like quite a badass gun.
It's the best gun in the game, overall, by quite a considerable margin.

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
Dax01 said:

thanks dax, i have two levels to grab it, guess i'll grind those out tonight :D

might create one of those pure stealthers with p90 silenced to enjoy the grind :lol

--- is it still three round burst? ---

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
Son of Godzilla said:
I think the Care Package is a *much* better reward than anything else below 7. Being able to pull out airstrikes and such for 4 kills is insane, and it allows you to create ambush sites on demand.

And honestly, if you can reliably get to 5, it ain't harder to get to 7.

Care Package + Harriers + Chopper Gunner is my default.

i hate the hassle of waiting for the package to drop, picking it up and then figuring out what you're going to do with whatever random thing you get.

i think it's much easier to predator -> harrier
predator is an easy guarantee for at least two kills, depending on the map

Zanboo said:
thanks dax, i have two levels to grab it, guess i'll grind those out tonight :D

might create one of those pure stealthers with p90 silenced to enjoy the grind :lol

--- is it still three round burst? ---

Yeah its still 3 round burst. It is godly, maybe even more so than in COD4. It is so fucking powerful even without stopping power.

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
Lionheart1827 said:
Yeah its still 3 round burst. It is godly, maybe even more so than in COD4. It is so fucking powerful even without stopping power.

oh god, i literally want to leave work right now to go get it unlocked...

i loved the m16 in cod4

i could see m16 with acog and fmj bling might be nice

Enosh

Dax01 said:
I wouldn't be that sure, it's awesome yeah and I almost unlocked everything on it, by I still need to test the ACR, FN2000 a ak47 against it

steadfast

Zanboo said:
oh god, i literally want to leave work right now to go get it unlocked...

i loved the m16 in cod4

i could see m16 with acog and fmj bling might be nice

I use it with red dot and silencer in S&D with cold blooded pro and ninja pro -- genuine license to kill. Soooo much fun.

Top Bottom