• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

KGKK said:
Bwahahahahaha I love the melee, commando, marathon, lightweight combo!! So much fun. It ruins the K/D ratio on some maps however nothing like feeling like the prick that pisses everyone off. Gotta level up the pistol for the knife. Hmm that will take a whiel. Maybe in free-for-all.

Go Riot shield! alot more fun :lol

People panic and ty to back up/start running then you chase them and throw knifes at them or you kneel down and advance and smack them in the face. How i wish I could have filmed some of the match's last night.

Wastelands 5 of us went riot shield and headed to the bunker and just ran around smacking people, we then decided ot all use them for the next few matchs, we lost our first 2 games then we started dominating by 25+ kills just by using shields and throwing knifes :lol

Neverender said:
They should as long as it's not from a care package

Hmmm, I need to check what killstreaks I had active....my sentry gun was mowing down people while I sat back with my heartbeat sensor :lol

Finally had a decent showing in FFA thanks to that

Rayme

dralla said:
that's just how IW's MM works, it doesn't really match skill. Halo's MM is still the best
Halo & MW's matchmaking are more similar than you realize. Bungie set a good model to pay attention to. =)

MarkMclovin said:
Doesn't it use Truskill? I don't think it matters what rank they are in game. Might be wrong though.
MarkMclovin is right; there is a hidden trueskill value (or the equivalent, on PS3 & PC) that's used to matchmake you with other players. Your rank doesn't factor in at all, because unskilled players can level up too. Remember, your MW1/2 rank never goes down, it only increases.

If it wasn't like this, then (eventually) unskilled level-70 players would rise up to regularly take on the INCREDIBLY AMAZING level-70 guys. And there would be tears. Oh; there would be tears.

Johnlenham said:
Go Riot shield! alot more fun :lol

People panic and ty to back up/start running then you chase them and throw knifes at them or you kneel down and advance and smack them in the face. How i wish I could have filmed some of the match's last night.

Wastelands 5 of us went riot shield and headed to the bunker and just ran around smacking people, we then decided ot all use them for the next few matchs, we lost our first 2 games then we started dominating by 25+ kills just by using shields and throwing knifes :lol
Riot shields are pretty easy to counter if you know how though.

Domino Theory said:
So I tried that class I talked about earlier today (P90 w/Silencer, Marathon, Lightweight and Commando).

Holy FUCK.

Now replace Lightweight with Cold Blooded, and prepare for constant 20-5 or better games on appropriate maps.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Net_Wrecker said:
Now replace Lightweight with Cold Blooded, and prepare for constant 20-5 or better games on appropriate maps.

Nah, thanks to Lightweight, I'm pretty much Road Runner in MW2 and I don't think the UAV has ever kept up because I ALWAYS catch the other team by surprise so I'm okay without Cold Blooded.

I might switch Commando to Ninja, but Commando Pro is soogood.gif

Ten-Song

So, just for free experience, I pissed a harrier off and pulled my riot shield out. It just sat there perpetually trying to kill me and giving me free experience from deflecting the bullets. Then it flew away, after killing zero people.

Riot shields are awesome.

zewone

Foliorum Viridum said:
It is. I've had a few 7/8 killstreaks that were ruined by the fact I ran out of ammo and had to scavenge for a new gun, only to be picked off on my way.
That's not what extra mags does. Extra mags puts more bullets in your clip. Scavenger Pro starts you off with 3x the regular ammo.

EazyB

Banned
Domino Theory said:
So I tried that class I talked about earlier today (P90 w/Silencer, Marathon, Lightweight and Commando).

Holy FUCK.
If you're not using dual P90's you're not doing it right. ;)

Mr YuYu

dralla said:
god i hate the heartbeat sensor, it does nothing but encourage camping. why does it only show enemies in red? do teamates have different kinds of hearts

:lol Good point! Does the heartbeat sensor fuck your accuracy up? (Having a brick like that attached to your gun can't really help accuracy, no?)

aaaaa0

Papercuts said:
Haha, yeah. The basis for the plot is formed on one giant plothole, basically.

It's actually pretty fucking retarded:

Considering that russians and americans are very similar in looks, no one could really identify the guy you were playing as as an american unless through some form of ID...which he obviously would not have on him when he was with the russian terrorists.

Of course you get the twists later on(Shepherd), and they don't really touch on Makarov much at that point. You never get a motivation for why they're doing this,

Shepard set the whole thing up. He was mad that people didn't care when he lost 30,000 soldiers in a nuke that Zakhaev supplied in COD4. Worse, Zakhaev was declared a hero, and the ultra-nationalists took over Russia. So Shepard was looking for any excuse for a war.

So he makes a deal with Makarov: he feeds the CIA guy to Makarov, and he gets Makarov to plant a bunch of evidence that the CIA has been working with terrorists against the new ultra-nationalist government. After which they retaliate by attacking the US.

or again how the fuck they made Shepherd into that high of a rank if he wasn't really loyal.

Shepard was a loyal general that went insane after Zakhaev nuked half his soliders and was then proclaimed a hero of Russia.

Kinda flimsy, but whatever, it's a videogame. LOL

So has anyone actually found out the difference between red dot and hologram sights yet? I still have no idea despite switching quite often to try and find out.

Ten-Song

J Tourettes said:
So has anyone actually found out the difference between red dot and hologram sights yet? I still have no idea despite switching quite often to try and find out.

Best I can tell is the red dot is a bit more of a pin-point sight, while the holo sight seems to be a bit of a wider circle. Beyond that, I can't tell the difference between the two.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
J Tourettes said:

Only that the holographic sight is smaller and gets muddy after a while, while the red dot stays has a wider contour and stays crystal clear. I've never seen the point in upgrading, since it doesn't actually add anything to the range or precision either.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Posting my previous question since the thread is moving so fast:

One thing I wonder - do people use auto-aim in MP? Discovering auto-aim in MW2 Veteran was a revelation for me, but the mechanic seems way too slow for MP.

Geoff9920

Chittagong said:

One thing I wonder - do people use auto-aim in MP? Discovering auto-aim in MW2 Veteran was a revelation for me, but the mechanic seems way too slow for MP.
The "snap-to-nearest enemy" aiming from single player doesn't exist in multiplayer. You just get the standard aim assist.

Mr YuYu said:
:lol Good point! Does the heartbeat sensor fuck your accuracy up? (Having a brick like that attached to your gun can't really help accuracy, no?)
It doesn't. Also, to reiterate, the M16 is an amazing gun. Because of that gun, I managed to get four emergency airdrops yesterday. I know have the red dot + heartbeat sensor for my M16.

Everdred

Chittagong said:

Auto aim doesn't exist in multiplayer.

bah, beaten.

Geoff9920 said:
The "snap-to-nearest enemy" aiming from single player doesn't exist in multiplayer. You just get the standard aim assist.

It exist, but only when initially going into ads mode. It's been like that since the first MW.

pringles

Pyke Presco said:
If I go through all the work of getting up to melee range when you have an assault rifle/SMG/LMG/sniper/claymore traps, I bloody well deserve that kill, thank you very much. If you can 1 shot me with a sniper rifle from 300 feet away, or with a FAMAS burst at 75 feet, my knife at 1 foot should get the edge. Just sayin'.
I was thinking more in general, not of the annoying/retarded players who decide to not use any weapons at all and just run around with marathon, lightweight and commando and melee people.
I use normal weapons and none of the above perks, but I still get a shitload of knife kills.
My main gripe with the melee being insta-kill in any situation is that it takes away from the satisfaction of assassinating people. I think if you go through all the work of getting around the enemies and creep up behind them, you should get an easy kill.
If you're just sprinting through corridors, ready to press the melee button as soon as you run into someone, you shouldn't be rewarded. Or there should atleast be a perk or something that counters one-hit melee kills (from the front).

Nelo Ice

Banned
so whats with this your sign in status has changed error?
im getting this on 360 now after i finished setting up my new router with tomato fw and opening ports

before i set up the new router i never got this error

Geoff9920

Masta_Killah said:
It exist, but only when initially going into ads mode. It's been like that since the first MW.
But that's not quite the same; it's just a by-product of the strong aim assist that CoD has.

Hanmik

What gamemodes do you play..? are there any good one´s for fast leveling..? In CoD4 i played lots of HQ games for fast levels.. how about MW2..? I see that the ones on top of my friends leaderboards tend to play alot of Domination.. is that good for points or why do they play domination..?

Got my first nuke, on Favela.

FAL bling noob tube and holographic (holographic is ridiculous, dont get why people choose red dot over it) secondary shotgun with Hardlines and Steady Aim.

Went Attack Attack Copter to Chopper Gunner to Nuke. Only had to get like 8 actual kills :lol

Ended 25-4. So amazing.

xxjuicesxx said:
Got my first nuke, on Favela.

FAL bling noob tube and holographic (holographic is ridiculous, dont get why people choose red dot over it) secondary shotgun with Hardlines and Steady Aim.

Went Attack Attack Copter to Chopper Gunner to Nuke. Only had to get like 8 actual kills :lol

Ended 25-4. So amazing.

I can honestly say I've not noticed the difference, apart from the holographic dot obscuring more of my target.

Brakara

dralla said:
god i hate the heartbeat sensor, it does nothing but encourage camping. why does it only show enemies in red? do teamates have different kinds of hearts

It's probably tuned to your team mates through an IFF system. You know where they are and so do the sensor.

Arjen

Hanmik said:
What gamemodes do you play..? are there any good one´s for fast leveling..? In CoD4 i played lots of HQ games for fast levels.. how about MW2..? I see that the ones on top of my friends leaderboards tend to play alot of Domination.. is that good for points or why do they play domination..?

I always played HQ in MW, but i'm not enjoying it anymore now for some reason.
I only play Groundwar, mainly because partychat is allowed

Any tips on the killstreaks to use when getting the nuke? Right now I have pavelow at 9, chopper gunner at 11, and then the nuke at 25. I was three kills away from getting it two times yesterday.

I have been getting awesome scores trying to get it though, even put up 59 kills in a room with only 5 deaths.

harrytang

Cataferal said:
Same here. Unless we're both missing something...?

until I fixed my tv settings from 720p to 1080i ( my tv didnt display 720 very well) they both looked the same. Now the holographic looks like a dot inside a circle. The difference for me is that I can see through the holographic site, where as the red dot covers up what I'm looking at. Could be imagining things though. Anyone else?

Cataferal said:
Same here. Unless we're both missing something...?

A quote from the COD Wikia page

The Holographic Sight is now an attachment in Modern Warfare 2's multiplayer and is awarded for getting 60 kills while aiming down the Red Dot Sight. Unlike the RDS, the reticle in the middle doesn't sway when turning, and while it doesn't seem to have a greater zoom it does appear to be more accurate, making it a more competitive "choice" compared to its previous game counterpart.
In the campaign it can be found attached to weapons used by various forces, such as Russian (both police and military), US Army and even the Brazilian favela gangs.

Does the RDS really sway when turning?

And what it should look like.

2052gkl.jpg

Astr00

This might have been stated in the past 195 pages, but it's easier to ask ... Does anyone know how to unlock the emblem with a gorilla wearing a crown?

Can anyone answer this question, why do I suck?

I was really good at COD4, easily getting airstrikes, choppers etc. Not sure if it's in part due to my lack of knowledge (and love) of the maps, or having the wrong set ups, but really I've degreaded so much.

Scar -
Bling - red dot and silencer
Cold blooded
Steady aim

Or sometimes I 'go loud' and opt for Sleight of hand, but still suck.

It's so infuritating, I need to keep my cool, as the more I die, the more frustrated I get, and the worse I play.

On another note, SP of MW1 is far superior and memorable. Coherent, consistent plot. Great set pieces.

Kibbles

Everdred said:
Auto aim doesn't exist in multiplayer.

bah, beaten.
Lies. I was aiming up at the windows in Scrapyard and a player ran past and my reticule moved over a bit as he ran past.

BattleMonkey said:
Different red dots (manufacturer, price, etc) have different looking red dot reticles, they all don't look the same and can be all very different.

I meant that maybe the foreground should be blurrier and the sight area clearer. But instead, in the game, the only difference is the actual reticule is bigger. Not much help really is it considering it's an unlock further down the line.

Kloid

Neo Member
Kibbles said:
Lies. I was aiming up at the windows in Scrapyard and a player ran past and my reticule moved over a bit as he ran past.
There's a distinction to be made between what might be considered 'auto-aim' though.

The gun 'sticking' ever so slightly to a target as they move across your centre would be something I'd call Aim Assist. Whereas, the ability in single-player (and spec-ops?) to aim-down-sight in the rough direction of an enemy and have it snap instantly on to them would be something I'd called Auto-Aim.

MarkMclovin said:
I meant that maybe the foreground should be blurrier and the sight area clearer. But instead, in the game, the only difference is the actual reticule is bigger. Not much help really is it considering it's an unlock further down the line.

You mean holographic difference? In real life the point of the holographic is simply that if your not properly looking down the sight or moving too much the reticle would dissapear telling the shooter his shot is not properly lined. Red dots on other hand are always on no matter how you look through the scope so it gives you false aim that can be off. The scopes can be nearly identical depending on make and model visually, but in function they work different.

Level 8 Boss said:

I was really good at COD4, easily getting airstrikes, choppers etc. Not sure if it's in part due to my lack of knowledge (and love) of the maps, or having the wrong set ups, but really I've degreaded so much.

Scar -
Cold blooded
Steady aim
It's probably the silencer, or the lack of stopping power. When trying to get the heartbeat sensor for the M16, I had a much harder time killing people with the silencer than without, even with stopping power.

pringles said:
I was thinking more in general, not of the annoying/retarded players who decide to not use any weapons at all and just run around with marathon, lightweight and commando and melee people.
I use normal weapons and none of the above perks, but I still get a shitload of knife kills.
My main gripe with the melee being insta-kill in any situation is that it takes away from the satisfaction of assassinating people. I think if you go through all the work of getting around the enemies and creep up behind them, you should get an easy kill.
If you're just sprinting through corridors, ready to press the melee button as soon as you run into someone, you shouldn't be rewarded. Or there should atleast be a perk or something that counters one-hit melee kills (from the front).

Want to stop melees from the front? Use a riot shield. Problem solved, although it reduces your firepower significantly.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
Level 8 Boss said:

Scar -
Cold blooded
Steady aim

Or sometimes I 'go loud' and opt for Sleight of hand, but still suck.

It's so infuritating, I need to keep my cool, as the more I die, the more frustrated I get, and the worse I play.

On another note, SP of MW1 is far superior and memorable. Coherent, consistent plot. Great set pieces.

try switching Cold blooded for Stopping power. Because the silencer only decrease the distance on long range shots.

Top Bottom