• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

HooCares

Neo Member
Freedom = $1.05 said:
Didn't know that o_O Well, it's still a good killstreak for someone having issues getting kills, thus having issues reaching a decent killstreak.

No argument there.

PS I like your GAF handle. goodstuff

evanylee

papercuts said:
Haha, yeah. The basis for the plot is formed on one giant plothole, basically.

It's actually pretty fucking retarded:
Considering that russians and americans are very similar in looks, no one could really identify the guy you were playing as as an american unless through some form of ID...which he obviously would not have on him when he was with the russian terrorists.

Of course you get the twists later on(Shepherd), and they don't really touch on Makarov much at that point. You never get a motivation for why they're doing this,

Kinda flimsy, but whatever, it's a videogame. LOL

I wondered about that too. International Terminal. Customs

I was dissapointed at first with multiplayer, but after playing it for 7 hours straight last night and messing around with all the attachments and perks, I realized this feels fresh I was call o duty"d out after world at war but now im addicted again.

And this is kinda off topic but am I the only one that hopes this is infinity wards last COD. Id really like to see a new IP. Hopefully thats why they hired a bunch of people within the last 2 years.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
evanylee said:
I wondered about that too. International Terminal. Customs

Not only that, but what about when one of the Russians gets shot to death during normal play? Makarov simply says, "Leave him, he's dead" or something. Doesn't that kind of go against the entire point?

Stantron

Lag makes playing with the riot shield really tough.
1) If I'm running, then get shot at from an angle, I immediately turn to the oncoming fire and start to block shots. Yet, the kill cam shows that I didn't even turn my body.
2) Same thing with oncoming fire. I can take hits to the shield as I walk forward standing. If an enemy starts shooting towards my feet, I immediately crouch. Yet the kill cam shows me die while standing.
3) If I manage to get a melee hit with the shield. The enemy can easily sprint to my side with a knife melee after being hit. WTF! First of all that shit should stun him from attacking back so quickly. And secondly, is his knife going through my shield?
4) Similar to above, with lag, an opponent can circle strafe and shoot in close quarters. I block ALL of his shots, but in the kill cam he manages to clip me from the side of the shield.
5) Judging when to use my throwing knife after an enemy has unloaded his clip is extra difficult too since by the time I see it, it's probably already happened a full second ago. :/

Obviously this is a problem with other classes as well, but the riot shield class is the most frustrating. I don't understand why it's so bad. I have an open NAT. I'm plugged directly into my router, and have an open port for the 360. Speed test shows I've got ~12Mbps down, ~2Mbps up and ~20ms ping, iirc. And yet, the kill cam ALWAYS shows a significant delay. This was a big problem for me with CoD4 too. I'm venting because I would have thought they would have improved this for MW2.

cameltoe

Stantron said:
1) If I'm running, then get shot at from an angle, I immediately turn to the oncoming fire and start to block shots. Yet, the kill cam shows that I didn't even turn my body.
2) Same thing with oncoming fire. I can take hits to the shield as I walk forward standing. If an enemy starts shooting towards my feet, I immediately crouch. Yet the kill cam shows me die while standing.
3) If I manage to get a melee hit with the shield. The enemy can easily sprint to my side with a knife melee after being hit. WTF! First of all that shit should stun him from attacking back so quickly. And secondly, is his knife going through my shield?
4) Similar to above, with lag, an opponent can circle strafe and shoot in close quarters. I block ALL of his shots, but in the kill cam he manages to clip me from the side of the shield.
5) Judging when to use my throwing knife after an enemy has unloaded his clip is extra difficult too since by the time I see it, it's probably already happened a full second ago. :/

Obviously this is a problem with other classes as well, but the riot shield class is the most frustrating. I don't understand why it's so bad. I have an open NAT. I'm plugged directly into my router, and have an open port for the 360. Speed test shows I've got ~12Mbps down, ~2Mbps up and ~20ms ping, iirc. And yet, the kill cam ALWAYS shows a significant delay. This was a big problem for me with CoD4 too. I'm venting because I would have thought they would have improved this for MW2.

I feel your pain dude....even with 4 bars I feel like Im a full second behind at times. Now, when hosting..........

Stantron said:

you are assuming that everyone else has the same setup as you,
they don't

Stantron said:

I've had some really horrible lag issues as well. Usually at least a couple of times a match I'll go head to head with someone else and pump half an assault rifle clip into them before they fire back and kill me. Watching the kill cam shows from their perspective I've barely begun to look down the sights.

Fix this shit IW. (Preferably by implementing dedicated servers into all versions of the game)

OgTheClever said:
I've had some really horrible lag issues as well. Usually at least a couple of times a match I'll go head to head with someone else and pump half an assault rifle clip into them before they fire back and kill me. Watching the kill cam shows from their perspective I've barely begun looking down the sights yet.

Fix this shit IW. :/

There's no way to fix it.
Except for dedicated servers. And even those wouldn't completely fix the problem, just make it a little better.
Welcome to online gaming.

Edit: Damn your stealth editing :lol

dralla

is there any benefit to using the Uzi over the P90? I don't use SMG's much in general because of machine pistols, but I use the P90 once in a while

divisionbyzorro said:
Except for dedicated servers. And even those wouldn't completely fix the problem, just make it a little better.

I question if people ever think of the technical side of these things before bitching about it.

divisionbyzorro said:

:lol
Stealth editing has become a bit of a nastly habit of mine. I usually post something and immediately decide to make small changes after reading over it again. (and this is even after previewing it)

I really hate the "1 second" lag in the game. Ping is fucking ridiculous at times. Whenever I see the killcam, it's entirely different than what I did. Fucks up the kill/death ratio. I envy those with better connections...

practice02 said:
I question if people ever think of the technical side of these things before bitching about it.
I'm thinking about it in comparison to games such as Killzone 2 or Uncharted 2 where I haven't experienced the same issue.

OgTheClever said:
I'm thinking about it in comparison to games such as Killzone 2 or Uncharted 2 where I haven't experienced the same issue.

Do those games have killcams? I haven't played them, so I don't know. It's entirely possible that they have the same issues, but since you can't watch the perspective of the other player, you just don't know it. :D

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
BattleMonkey said:
Host advantage is very apparent especially in killcam footage when somehow I shoot someone twice that REGISTER on my reticle yet the footage shows I did not hit them at all and they just murder me. Oh look for some reason that same person is on top of the score board.

The game can get very laggy, lot laggier than COD4 was in general and host advantage is pronounced now.

This is what really, really pisses me off the most in this awesome game - a hell of a lot more than campers to tell you the truth, because I always come back for the campers in the end.

I can't count the amount of times where I've gotten the jump on someone, put two registered bursts in his HEAD with either a FAMAS or M16, and end up dying with one hit, then watch the replay and see for some reason that I'm there running blindly into the guy and get hit three times in the knees without even firing at him period and die - it's fucking infuriating, especially since you know should be mopping the floor with these people yet they are beating you due to that bullshit...

It really gets to me because I don't camp whatsoever, and I run around getting the drop on people from the front and behind, and yet still die when I clearly fired and registered hits TWICE in the amount of time it took them to fire back just once... fuck.

divisionbyzorro said:
Do those games have killcams? I haven't played them, so I don't know. It's entirely possible that they have the same issues, but since you can't watch the perspective of the other player, you just don't know it. :D
It's not just down to killcams (which I actually hate because they ruin sniping, but that's another issue). It's down to the what I described about firing more than enough bullets into opponents to tear them to shreads, yet they still kill me whilst I don't even see them firing until much later then me.

RubxQub said:
I know you're a dirty sniper, Dax!

I see your accuracy percentage being curiously high, so I know what's up!

Edit: Also my playstyle isn't the same as most other people, so I respectfully decline all commentary on weapon selection due to stubborness and angst. I'm trying out the M16 again tonight...but mainly because I want the XP from using a new weapon, not because I really want to like it :lol

If it's better for me I'll find out tonight.
You will use it and you will like it.

It's the goddamn M16.

Anyone play with the vibration off? My controller was dying last night and was so weak it stopped vibrating. It seemed as if I was able to aim a little bit better without it, but it was so weird to not have the feedback.

I was just curious if people do this on purpose.

snap0212

got2bekidding said:
Anyone play with the vibration off? My controller was dying last night and was so weak it stopped vibrating. It seemed as if I was able to aim a little bit better without it, but it was so weird to not have the feedback.

I was just curious if people do this on purpose.
Yes. Same here.

I said it before, but what the hell is going on with those servers? When I first played MW2, like two days before the official release, I found 25-30 servers. Now it sometimes takes 10 minutes to find one server!

kuYuri

BattleMonkey said:
Host advantage is very apparent especially in killcam footage when somehow I shoot someone twice that REGISTER on my reticle yet the footage shows I did not hit them at all and they just murder me. Oh look for some reason that same person is on top of the score board.

The game can get very laggy, lot laggier than COD4 was in general and host advantage is pronounced now.

I've started to notice this as well. Something felt really off about the game the more and more I played it, when compared to CoD4. Then I started to realize that my shots never seem to land where I want them to and I started to assume it's the netcode.

cameltoe

OgTheClever said:
It's not just down to killcams (which I actually hate because they ruin sniping, but that's another issue). It's down to the what I described about firing more than enough bullets into opponents to tear them to shreads, yet they still kill me whilst I don't even see them firing until much later then me.

that makes it worse, they are host AND camping...you have no chance it seems.

Mogg0

Banned
I'm fucking infuriated with this fucking game. Situation:

Australian
Level 40
Mostly using Scar, FAMAS or P90.

Now on WaW and COD4 my k/d was 1.8 and 1.7 respectively. I started MW2 in the first few days with a 1.6, but now I'm down to 1.3 and diiiiving. I am absolutely fucking pissed because I know I'm not bad.

It's a combination of lag and my choice of weapons I think. I'm a run and gun player. But now I'm getting owned and I just don't want to play anymore.

McHuj

Quick question on the story

what was the point of setting of the nuke over DC? How does that help end the conflict?

Frillen

Stantron said:

I've played for over 10 hours now and I've only knifed like two guys or something. Should have been 20 or so if it wasn't for the annoying 1 second action lag that I have to deal with 24/7. No wonder why I camp 99% of the time I play the game, when I lose 90% of the short-range combats. Pumping 10 bullets into a guy, only to get killed and the kill cam showing 3 shots fired. ARGH!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Mogg0 said:
I'm fucking infuriated with this fucking game. Situation:

Australian
Level 40
Mostly using Scar, FAMAS or P90.

Now on WaW and COD4 my k/d was 1.8 and 1.7 respectively. I started MW2 in the first few days with a 1.6, but now I'm down to 1.3 and diiiiving. I am absolutely fucking pissed because I know I'm not bad.

It's a combination of lag and my choice of weapons I think. I'm a run and gun player. But now I'm getting owned and I just don't want to play anymore.

Your K/D ratio means diddly. Just relax and have fun. Ultimately, you'll find people with shitty K/D ratios who are better than you, and vice versa. There's such room for exploration in the Class system that you're seriously missing out if you only play with classes you dominate with. And yeah, you might suck total ass with a stealth/sniper/Rambo class in the beginning, but you'll get XP and add some variety to your play.

butts

^^^ exactly

I started to give up on KDR in this, there is just too much going on. I was hanging at about 1.4 but after just last night it slipped to 1.32. I decided its more fun to do stupid stuff every now and then instead of trying too hard all the time. Its more fun that way I think.

Shield/Thumper/Clays/Scavenger/Danger Close/* is pretty fun some times :)

T Ghost

McHuj said:
Quick question on the story

what was the point of setting of the nuke over DC? How does that help end the conflict?

It unleashed a huge EMP over that area killing all russian military vehicles, equipments and communications to their forces on the area giving the American forces a huge opportunity to turn the tide over without wiping the entire Washington DC area with bombers.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
T Ghost said:
It unleashed a huge EMP over that area killing all russian military vehicles, equipments and communications to their forces on the area giving the American forces a huge opportunity to turn the tide over without wiping the entire Washington DC area with bombers.

I'm not exactly sure about that. The Americans were relying on electronic vehicles and equipment as well. If anything, it seemed to cripple both sides... especially since they almost carpet bombed DC anyway. Price's motive seemed to be one that would instigate a radical retaliation against Russia (hence Shepherd getting a "blank check" after going off)... all from the launching of a nuke from a Russian silo.

I mean, maybe not, but that seemed to make sense to me, since Price was going on and on about how you need a bigger flame to snuff out smaller ones and all that.

Stantron

divisionbyzorro said:
:( I wish there was a way to filter for players that have good/great pings only. Why is this not an option? Seems like a hellova lot easier solution than dedicated servers on consoles. Or at least give us a local only search option.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Anyone else hate how when you miss with the knife, you are vulnerable for x amount of seconds? Why is it that hard to try to stab with the knife, and then go back to shooting?

Also, does anyone else notice they miss with the knife a lot at point blank range, like when you didn't miss? That's exacerbated by the long time of recoil of missing.

DMeisterJ said:
Anyone else hate how when you miss with the knife, you are vulnerable for x amount of seconds? Why is it that hard to try to stab with the knife, and then go back to shooting?

Also, does anyone else notice they miss with the knife a lot at point blank range, like when you didn't miss? That's exacerbated by the long time of recoil of missing.

I miss a lot when trying to knife as I run around a building corner, and yes, the delay is frustrating.

Hyunkel6

DMeisterJ said:

In my last match, me and this guy kept missing each other with the knife, but we were too afraid to draw our weapons, because of the delay. We literally danced around each other for about 5 seconds trying to knife the other. Best knife fight I had. It was awesome. :D

Mogg0

Banned
It worked great in World at War. Why Infinity Ward can't manage it, I do not know.

THE CURRENT MATCHMAKING IS FUCKING TERRIBLE. Pity us Aussies.

Hyunkel6 said:
In my last match, me and this guy kept missing each other with the knife, but we were too afraid to draw our weapons, because of the delay. We literally danced around each other for about 5 seconds trying to knife the other. Best knife fight I had. It was awesome. :D

In my opinion, the only perk missing was a "faster weapon swap" perk. Hell, that should have been the upgrade for Sleight of Hand.

Mogg0 said:
It worked great in World at War. Why Infinity Ward can't manage it, I do not know.

THE CURRENT MATCHMAKING IS FUCKING TERRIBLE. Pity us Aussies.

Sometimes I feel like IW deliberately looked at everything Treyarch did and automatically said "Well, since Treyarch sucks, we will outright refuse to do that." Local search, stat-tracking...the little improvements that Treyarch made are all gone.

NorrenRadd said:
I miss a lot when trying to knife as I run around a building corner, and yes, the delay is frustrating.

I almost never miss. I've experienced lag just a handful of times... I guess I've been lucky.

j-wood

Can someone tell me how you are supposed to get kills with the sleight of hand perk? All it does is increase reload speed, yet it says I have to get 25 kills with it to rank it up.

j-wood said:
Can someone tell me how you are supposed to get kills with the sleight of hand perk? All it does is increase reload speed, yet it says I have to get 25 kills with it to rank it up.
As long as you have the perk equipped, any kill will count towards that goal. (At least I think that's how it works...)

j-wood

Cornballer said:
As long as you have the perk equipped, any kill will count towards that goal. (At least I think that's how it works...)

Not so. I've had it on for 2 matches, and in the barracks it shows 0/25 kills. Does it take time to update locally or something?

Hmmm, that's strange. I thought my Stopping Power and Sleight of Hand kill counts for challenges were accumulating at the same rate last night. Maybe I'm thinking of something else.

Calen

divisionbyzorro said:
Thing is, though, you're not watching the perspective of the other player in the killcam. You're watching the perspective of the server. We do tons of lag compensation and prediction to try to ensure that when you shoot a guy on your screen, you're actually hitting him - but from the server's point of view, you may already be dead when that is happening locally.

The way things get scheduled means that this should be happening as much to other people from their point of view as it does to you, from yours - for any reasonable spread of pings.

Top Bottom