• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Dax01 said:
It's the best gun in the game, overall, by quite a considerable margin.
Pssssht.

...perhaps I should give the damn thing another try, but I really don't like 3 shot bursts over semi-auto firing.
Mad Max said:
Not overall, but it's pretty good at mid-long range.
Long range is it's major weakness from my experience. Unless you can see the entire body of the person, you're not going to be able to get all 3 shots on target over a long distance.

Something just so much more visceral to me about slamming the trigger and seeing my trigger pulls result in shots instead of just holding it. The FAL without a silencer is the sexiest sounding gun in the game by FAR.

Playing HQ with a bunch of guys that have no idea whats going on and prefer to just treat the mode as a team death match is so damn infuriating.

Dynamic3

Fugu said:
Actually, that's the difference; the physical red dot isn't centered when turning with the red dot, while with the holographic sight, it is. Try turning as fast as you can with a red dot and seeing what happens to the location of the dot.

Just tried it, and both became off-center.

I have been using the L86 LSW quite a lot since I unlocked the red dot for it. Is it just random what weapons you unlock attachments for or if say I switch to the scar will I automatically start unlocking perks and attachments for that gun?

Macattk15

My K/D ratio is like 1.4 but I can't get killstreaks above like 6 haha. I'll often get 6 kills then die, get 5 kills then die ... so on and so forth. I'll never be able to call in my own Pavelow!

I guess it's cause I'm constantly running around and in the middle of the map usually. I should camp some when I get moving on the streak.

RubxQub

BruceLeeRoy said:
I have been using the L86 LSW quite a lot since I unlocked the red dot for it. Is it just random what weapons you unlock attachments for or if say I switch to the scar will I automatically start unlocking perks and attachments for that gun?
You need to use the gun in specific ways to unlock the attachments.

Most of them are kill count specific, but others require you to get a certain number of kills with other attachments to unlock other attachments.

You can see what you have to do to unlock them by hovering over the attachment and pressing "X" in the create a class screen.

steadfast

BruceLeeRoy said:

Correct. You can look at the challenges in the Barracks to see what you need.

For example, 10 kills with most assault rifles will net you the grenade launcher, 20 (or 25) will get you red dot, etc etc.

Some are conditional like you need so many kills with ACOG to unlock thermal and so many kills with the grenade launcher to unlock the shotgun.

Whatever gun you're using is what you'll level up and get attachments for.

edit: fuck my slow typing :)

RubxQub said:
Pssssht.

...perhaps I should give the damn thing another try, but I really don't like 3 shot bursts over semi-auto firing.
There's a reason why so many people have commented on their higher K/D spreads in games where they use the M16.:lol

Any recommendations for killstreak rewards for those of us that are killstreak impaired? I rarely rack up more than 4-5, and I'm not sure what I should unlock. I'm still using the defaults.

steadfast said:
Correct. You can look at the challenges in the Barracks to see what you need.

For example, 10 kills with most assault rifles will net you the grenade launcher, 20 (or 25) will get you red dot, etc etc.

Some are conditional like you need so many kills with ACOG to unlock thermal and so many kills with the grenade launcher to unlock the shotgun.

Whatever gun you're using is what you'll level up and get attachments for.

edit: fuck my slow typing :)

Ah gotcha thanks a lot guys.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
RubxQub said:

Long range is it's major weakness from my experience. Unless you can see the entire body of the person, you're not going to be able to get all 3 shots on target over a long distance.

Something just so much more visceral to me about slamming the trigger and seeing my trigger pulls result in shots instead of just holding it. The FAL without a silencer is the sexiest sounding gun in the game by FAR.

I'll pose this question for you as well:

GuardianE said:
I want to love the FAL, but I'm not so sure anymore. It has the exact same stats as the SCAR, except it's semi-auto and has more recoil. I think that's bogus. The FAL should at least do a little more damage or something. While I've perfected hammering on that trigger (G3 player in CoD4), the advantages of the FAL aren't entirely clear to me. I can get Long Distance kills very easily with the SCAR. I can even softly depress the trigger to get single shots with the SCAR, like the FAL, except with less kickback.

Am I missing something?

I mean, I get that it "feels" different, but other than that the two guns seem pretty much identical. Unless, as someone claimed earlier, the stats "lie".

droopy

GuardianE said:
What does this mean?
Well, for example, when you equip FMJ on a gun the damage bar goes up although all they actually do is increase penetration. Also the stinger and the other rocket launcher are listed as doing the same damage but only the stinger can one-shot a harrier.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
droopy said:
Well, for example, when you equip FMJ on a gun the damage bar goes up although all they actually do is increase penetration. Also the stinger and the other rocket launcher are listed as doing the same damage but only the stinger can one-shot a harrier.

Are you absolutely positive that FMJ doesn't increase the damage of the gun slightly? I haven't tested the stinger vs. the other launchers. Couldn't it have to do with where the rocket hits?

RubxQub said:
Knifing campers in the back is probably my favorite thing to do in this game ever.

I've lost so many kills going for knife kills instead of just plugging them in the back from a distance because I want them to feel the shame of their actions :lol

My K/D ratio is at 1.11 right now and slowly rising. Ever since I've switched to my ninja build I've been having some pretty intense murder sprees.

Also switched up my killstreak rewards to be a bit more dominant.

5: Predator Missile
7: Harrier Strike
11: AC130

Once I got the 5, it's possible to immediately go right to the Harrier Strike with a double kill and then pretty quickly go into the AC130 if the Harrier does it's business.

A kill chain like that is pretty damn brutal if you can get the initial 5 consistently.

Rubx, this is the exact same killstreak setup I use on my knife build. There will be times when I might only get 1, or 0 kills in a life. But if I can manage a 5 streak(b/c my team has a UAV up, or the enemy is just parked in a single area where I drop in from above, such as going up the log ramp at the back of the mansion in estate, so you come in the upstairs) then the shit hits the fan. My K/D was about 1.9 before I started knifing, now its fallen to about 1.7 or so, but oh man is it worth it. I was much more reliable before when I was using a silenced 90 build or a thermal sniper, but I still tend to go positive more often than not, and that KS setup just screams terror for the enemy. Also, got the challenge for 5 kills with a single predator this morning on Afghan, they were all parked at the top of the hill overlooking the plane. I knifed like 2 in the cave, got my predator, called it in and saw them all spawn up there. I now have a nifty new title.

And also, the tactical knife is definitely faster than the original melee, to whoever was claiming it wasnt, go to the default class with the tac knife on the revolver. Melee with the revolver, then switch to the other gun and melee with that. The tac knife comes out at least twice as fast.

RubxQub

GuardianE said:
I'll pose this question for you as well:

I mean, I get that it "feels" different, but other than that the two guns seem pretty much identical. Unless, as someone claimed earlier, the stats "lie".
For me it's just about feel.

I feel more in control with the FAL than I do with the M16, because I'm the one choosing where my shots go based on how quickly I fire, not a random calculation the game makes based on a burst volley or an automatic spray.

I'm a control freak and the FAL gives me the ability to fine tune my shots more because not a single round gets fire unless I want it to.

...it's really a personal preference thing. I don't have some amazing reason why, it just feels better for me :lol

Cornballer said:
Any recommendations for killstreak rewards for those of us that are killstreak impaired? I rarely rack up more than 4-5, and I'm not sure what I should unlock. I'm still using the defaults.

Use Hardline and stick to UAV, Care Package, & Predator until you feel comfortable moving up. Getting a really awesome care package usually makes the predator easy to get, so eventually you might work your way up from there and get some other killstreak like chopper or harrier.

RubxQub

Dax01 said:
There's a reason why so many people have commented on their higher K/D spreads in games where they use the M16.:lol
I know you're a dirty sniper, Dax!

I see your accuracy percentage being curiously high, so I know what's up!

Edit: Also my playstyle isn't the same as most other people, so I respectfully decline all commentary on weapon selection due to stubborness and angst. I'm trying out the M16 again tonight...but mainly because I want the XP from using a new weapon, not because I really want to like it :lol

If it's better for me I'll find out tonight.

Freedom = $1.05 said:
Use Hardline and stick to UAV, Care Package, & Predator until you feel comfortable moving up. Getting a really awesome care package usually makes the predator easy to get, so eventually you might work your way up from there and get some other killstreak like chopper or harrier.
Cool, I'll give that a shot. Which of the ones just above Predator is worth going after? (Precision Airstrike (6), Harrier Strike (7), Attack Helicopter (7), Pave Low (9), Stealth Bomber(9))

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Cornballer said:
Cool, I'll give that a shot. Which of the ones just above Predator is worth going after? (Precision Airstrike (6), Harrier Strike (7), Attack Helicopter (7), Pave Low (9), Stealth Bomber(9))

Of those? Harrier Strike and Pave Low.

Cornballer said:

Depends on you, really. The great thing about Care Packages is that you'll demo almost every killstreak with enough playtime. Eventually you'll can find which one suits you best :D

Cornballer said:

I'd avoid the Airstrike and Bomber, personally. Unless you really understand the map and catch the enemy all sitting at the right spots, you'll find yourself missing more often than not with those. Stick with the Harrier and the copters; they'll stay in the air and keep killing things for you.

Insaniac

got 2 legit javelin kills last night. Those things are so hard to use but so funny when you kill rooftop campers. plus the killcam looks awesome-sauce.

taku

Foliorum Viridum said:
How is that different from any other map in any other FPS? :lol
Well, for once.. in other FPS the camping spots can easily be counted on one hand (okay, two). This game? On some maps, I could write a whole essay on the matter.

Insaniac

taku said:
Well, for once.. in other FPS the camping spots can easily be counted on one hand (okay, two). This game? On some maps, I could write a whole essay on the matter.

you mean you don't like favela?!

moai

i find that the harrier and the chopper are useless. the harrier is a sitting duck and easy 300 xp if you carry a stinger. the chopper at least moves, but it's easy to take down.
that is if you equip a launcher.

pd: forgot to mention that with cold blodded i stopped being killed by them. i can`t remember the last time that happened.

X26

Banned
moai said:
i find that the harrier and the chopper are useless. the harrier is a sitting duck and easy 300 xp if you carry a stinger. the chopper at least moves, but it's easy to take down.
that is if you equip a launcher.

true, but most don't and it's not uncommon that your harrier lasts the entire duration without being hit

although I've noticed mine are startign to get hsot down more frequently, guess people are learning

DMeisterJ

Banned
Dax01 said:

I thought it was just me!

As soon as I got it, I got like 6 matches in a row with a positive, when getting a positive used to be an exercise in frustration. And I actually don't need the Red Dot for this, so I don't have to use bling, since all I need is my heartbeat sensor.

<3

Nizz

Yes! My copy finally got here from Amazon. :D Going to jump on this tonight after I watch Sons of Anarchy.

Quick question for PS3 players, is the online fine now? I know people were having problems with invites and Trophies not unlocking.

Sorry if it's been answered, but I've been away from the thread for fear of spoilers...

PhatSaqs

Banned
Insaniac said:
got 2 legit javelin kills last night. Those things are so hard to use but so funny when you kill rooftop campers. plus the killcam looks awesome-sauce.
I was excited to unlock it and quickly went back to the Stinger....

DMeisterJ

Banned
fps fanatic said:
Yes! My copy finally got here from Amazon. :D Going to jump on this tonight after I watch Sons of Anarchy.

Quick question for PS3 players, is the online fine now? I know people were having problems with invites and Trophies not unlocking.

Sorry if it's been answered, but I've been away from the thread for fear of spoilers...

It's A-okay.

Trophies and online are fine.

rodvik

RubxQub said:
For me it's just about feel.

I feel more in control with the FAL than I do with the M16, because I'm the one choosing where my shots go based on how quickly I fire, not a random calculation the game makes based on a burst volley or an automatic spray.

I'm a control freak and the FAL gives me the ability to fine tune my shots more because not a single round gets fire unless I want it to.

...it's really a personal preference thing. I don't have some amazing reason why, it just feels better for me :lol

Same. FAL gives me the control I crave. I unlocked thermal for it last night and while it has a pleasing morale impact on the opposition I think FAL with red dot is still my favourite gun. I feel I earn each kill and it forces me to think about each shot and never spray.

I still havent unlocked the M16 yet but I didnt like it in MW1, the 3 shot thing never did it for me.

droopy

GuardianE said:
Are you absolutely positive that FMJ doesn't increase the damage of the gun slightly? I haven't tested the stinger vs. the other launchers. Couldn't it have to do with where the rocket hits?
Well it is difficult to test without health bars or anything, but with such a small boost, it would only help with when it turns a 3HKO into a 2HKO or something like that. With the SCAR at least this doesn't happen (for me). And location-based damage on the launchers would be lame considering you can't aim them.

droopy said:
Well it is difficult to test without health bars or anything, but with such a small boost, it would only help with when it turns a 3HKO into a 2HKO or something like that. With the SCAR at least this doesn't happen (for me). And location-based damage on the launchers would be lame considering you can't aim them.

The main benefit for fmj is the deep impact. And id assume that the little damage burst really comes in handy when shooting through a surface.

I know anecdotal evidence means nothing, but ive been rolling with grip and fmj on the rpd and since i got fmj, id definitely say i can get kills faster. not a lot faster, but faster

Yeah, I'm getting pretty miffed at the shitty team balancing. I'm constantly the only person with a k/d ratio above one on my team far too many times.

droopy said:

No. See, that's what I mean about "don't trust the stats." The FMJ does not increase damage under ordinary situations. It acts like the "Deep Impact" perk in previous games: it increases damage when firing through walls, and that's it. The "stats" go up to show that it does have an effect on damage, but not in all situations. Don't equip it thinking that you're getting a damage boost, because most likely you're not.

X26

Banned
Red Blaster said:
Yeah, I'm getting pretty miffed at the shitty team balancing. I'm constantly the only person with a k/d ratio above one on my team far too many times.

A lot of that is because of party's, although even in merc TDM you can get some really unbalanced teams as well

RubxQub

X26 said:
A lot of that is because of party's, although even in merc TDM you can get some really unbalanced teams as well
MercTDM is all I play unless my friends are on, then it's Ground War w/Party Chat.

HooCares

Neo Member
Freedom = $1.05 said:

Except that kills from care package streaks do not count towards future streaks.

And I'll ask again, can someone confirm that you can unlock all the streaks at 70? How are they unlocked? Thanks.

careful

What's the max player count allowed in a party? If I party up with 10 people, will it split us 5/5 for eg. in team deatchmatch. Can we go in 18 deep in Groundwar and play 9 vs. 9?

X26 said:

Even in Merc TDM, the point spread post-match should lead to equal teams but I incessantly see the other team with like 4 people over 1000 points whereas my team only has myself and maybe one other over 1000.

I just played a round that had the other team had the top scorer of the previous round and then 4 others with 1000 with the last guy at 50 points. Myself and one other had over 1000 with the rest at only 700-500.

RubxQub

divisionbyzorro said:
Ground War allows Party Chat? I thought only FFA and Merc TDM allowed it.
Yes, sir.

The ones with the * next to them allow party chat, Ground War included.
Red Blaster said:
Even in Merc TDM, the point spread post-match should lead to equal teams but I incessantly see the other team with like 4 people over 1000 points whereas my team only has myself and maybe one other over 1000.

I just played a round that had the other team had the top scorer of the previous round and then 4 others with 1000 with the last guy at 50 points. Myself and one other had over 1000 with the rest at only 700-500.
I was in a MercTDM game with a bunch of really cool guys, but only one team (our team) had mics. We wiped the floor with the other team every game we played (probably about 5) and the match making kept lumping us all together :lol

We loved it, but it was so broken.

RubxQub said:
Yes, sir.

The ones with the * next to them allow party chat, Ground War included.

I was in a MercTDM game with a bunch of really cool guys, but only one team (our team) had mics. We wiped the floor with the other team every game we played (probably about 5) and the match making kept lumping us all together :lol

We loved it, but it was so broken.

Good to know! I don't know how I didn't notice that before. Ground War was already my favorite playlist, but now even more so.

I wonder if the matchmaking automatically lumps non-voice players together if possible...

HooCares said:
Except that kills from care package streaks do not count towards future streaks.

And I'll ask again, can someone confirm that you can unlock all the streaks at 70? How are they unlocked? Thanks.

Didn't know that o_O Well, it's still a good killstreak for someone having issues getting kills, thus having issues reaching a decent killstreak.

Top Bottom