• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

mcrae

j-wood said:
Does GAF have a ps3 clan or anything? Anyone want to play some matches?

im down to play some matches whenever im on.. ill be on at 930pm est gmt -05:00) aka in 3 hours from now. PSN is Clabinator add me

NIN90

OldJadedGamer said:
I do, 100%. I turn up my speakers very loud so I can hear the direction people are coming from. In COD4, this was the "dead silence" perk that i used all the time.

Yeah, I do too. But that doesn't mean that everyone else does. Ninja Pro is a wasted perk imo cause most people wouldn't even hear you without that perk in the first place.

J-Rzez

Andronicus said:
so how is the Online since all of the hype has blown over? i still haven't picked it up. i may tonight

There is noticeable clips of lag very often. (360)
The majority of the maps due to design philosophy are weak at best.
The weapons are highly unbalanced. Why pick up a sniper rifle when on the majority of maps you can snipe with a P90 with an ACOG?
Spawn points are shitty.
The auto aim. It's one of the most heavily over used amounts in games in a while.
Bunny-hopping is getting old. It's basically getting to be like Unreal Tournament with real guns.
Match making, especially in parties is broken.
Game feels like an MMO at times, feels like there's a RNG feel to it.
Camping has really become a major problem. (aka, non-snipers using LMGs laying at the top of steps until they're shot, then they try to go back there, or go to a new campsite.

While the game has it's "awesome" moments along with fun times (trash talking), it's an exercise in frustration more often than a game of this caliber should be.

Dax01 said:
And the M16 beats all three.

It's surprising, and I didn't unlock the F2000 nor AK yet, but I honestly believe the ACR is a stronger all around weapon than the rest, even the M16.

panda21

i love scrambler.

i've got so many kills where i would of had no idea they were there until my radar went all fuzzy, and then used it to figure out where they were by checking which direction it was coming from since you can see how close you are by how strong it is :lol

its like a perk to give everyone on the other team a free heart beat monitor :lol

NIN90

Pro tip: You can throw nades/knives/flashs/stuns while your are climbing ladders. Throwing a knife into the face of that shit head that camps at the end of ladder feels great. :lol

Ten-Song

panda21 said:
i love scrambler.

i've got so many kills where i would of had no idea they were there until my radar went all fuzzy, and then used it to figure out where they were by checking which direction it was coming from since you can see how close you are by how strong it is :lol

its like a perk to give everyone on the other team a free heart beat monitor :lol

I've seen people try to snipe with that perk too, and it just makes them look super dumb. Other day I was running by an area, didn't see a single person, but noticed my radar get fuzzy, so I wandered further until my radar was completely scrambled, and then looked in the grass and found the guy. If he didn't have that perk, I would have just kept on running the same direction and would have never noticed him.

I can never see the use in that perk, because all it does to me is scream "you are approximately this close to where I am, come and find me for a free kill!"

mcrae

fps fanatic said:
Yes! My copy finally got here from Amazon. :D Going to jump on this tonight after I watch Sons of Anarchy.

Quick question for PS3 players, is the online fine now? I know people were having problems with invites and Trophies not unlocking.

Sorry if it's been answered, but I've been away from the thread for fear of spoilers...

living in canada, playing for the past 4 days, i havent had any trouble with lag, at all.
host migration has happened over a dozen times, and failed twice. not bad.

to others:
camping is never a problem for me... if you're complaining about it your playstyle sucks.

Ten-Song said:
I can never see the use in that perk, because all it does to me is scream "you are approximately this close to where I am, come and find me for a free kill!"

It works for indoors... just because you know they are near doesn't mean you know exactly where they are in the building... they could easily come around any corner and kill you.

mcrae

divisionbyzorro said:
No. See, that's what I mean about "don't trust the stats." The FMJ does not increase damage under ordinary situations. It acts like the "Deep Impact" perk in previous games: it increases damage when firing through walls, and that's it. The "stats" go up to show that it does have an effect on damage, but not in all situations. Don't equip it thinking that you're getting a damage boost, because most likely you're not.

where is this coming from?

the increase looks like maybe 3-5% of total damage. obviously its not going to go from 3 hit kills to two hit kills.

Stantron

UltimaPooh said:
It works for indoors... just because you know they are near doesn't mean you know exactly where they are in the building... they could easily come around any corner and kill you.
User should have the option of turning it on/off. Would be good for playing mind games. :lol

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
~Devil Trigger~ said:
I really dont see how people can like Afghan but hate Wasteland, i really dont.
Cause Afghan is decent but Wasteland is not?

This game has probably the worst spawning implementation ever in a game. The amount of times I have spawned about 5 metres from where I died.

bdouble

mcrae said:
im down to play some matches whenever im on.. ill be on at 930pm est gmt -05:00) aka in 3 hours from now. PSN is Clabinator add me
I really want to get into some party games. I'll add ya
name is superdave25 on psn.

kamspy

I'll no longer try to hide it for the sake of looking cool on the internet.

This game has me downright ready to write fucking fan-fic for the modern warfare story cannon.

I think hope it's just a combination of me loving the game and being let down in the way the story was told.

Also, all GOTY contenders from now on MUST have a level called "The Gulag" about flying into a fucking KGB death castle and busting out the once thought dead Cpt. Price!!!!! Best gaming 'fuck yeah' since MGS2.

I don't know how I became emotionally connected to the cast of MW either, but the whole game I was DYING for Ghost to reveal that he is Gaz!!!! he is damn it. feels good man.

*poster does not acknowledge the existence of the PC version.

S1lent

bdouble said:
I really want to get into some party games. I'll add ya
name is superdave25 on psn.

I think you're on my friends list from the gamertag thread. I should have sent you an invite to the GAF MW2 chat, a few of us have been partying up and playing from there. Let me know if you want another invite (or if I forgot to send you one on the first place).

And if anybody else wants an invite, let me know on PSN, mine is S1lentTwo.

Accident

Ten-Song said:

It works great for Headquarters, a couple of guys near the HQ and you are basically playing without a radar.

BPK

J-Rzez said:
The weapons are highly unbalanced. Why pick up a sniper rifle when on the majority of maps you can snipe with a P90 with an ACOG?
Spawn points are shitty.
The auto aim. It's one of the most heavily over used amounts in games in a while.
Bunny-hopping is getting old. It's basically getting to be like Unreal Tournament with real guns.
Camping has really become a major problem. (aka, non-snipers using LMGs laying at the top of steps until they're shot, then they try to go back there, or go to a new campsite.

While the game has it's "awesome" moments along with fun times (trash talking), it's an exercise in frustration more often than a game of this caliber should be.

It's surprising, and I didn't unlock the F2000 nor AK yet, but I honestly believe the ACR is a stronger all around weapon than the rest, even the M16.

Hmm...this sounds worrisome. I was looking at getting this game in a few weeks after the hype blows over, but this post gave me pause.

mcrae

BPK said:
Hmm...this sounds worrisome. I was looking at getting this game in a few weeks after the hype blows over, but this post gave me pause.

dont listen to him.

ive never seen anyone bunny hopping.
you cannot snipe against a sniper with a p90. wtf.
camping is a poor strategy because the maps are so massive, its rare that you will find a good camping spot where you will rack up lots of kills. i havent encountered it virtually at all, i think for this reason. and at the same time, people complaining about campers complain how the maps are big with few chokepoints. so then go around and kill the camper from a differnt direction, moron
match making may be bad, but no where near broken. if you keep getting put in with the same group of guys, leave the lobby, wait till the game would have started, then join again. or play a different mode. its pretty simple.

Robot 492

Banned
J-Rzez said:
Spawn points are shitty.

Pretty much.

My biggest issue is with the matchmaking. I really want to enjoy the game, but god damn it's so frustrating at times :/

Spec-Ops is fun as hell though. I'm up to 40 stars.

NullPointer said:
This. I've run into all of one bunny hopper in my matches and it didn't do him any good. If campers are a problem, play objective modes. They'll still camp, but they'll also lose.
And there's absolutely no "sniping" with the P90.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
So I got the game on Saturday and now am at level 30. I find that my k/d is really starting to get hit hard all of a sudden. Why... it's because I'm getting matched up against >40 guys who mow me down with you-know-what-gun. This gun-the gun of all guns-makes my FAMAS or SCAR look like a pee shooter. I rarely win a duel with anyone wielding these bad boys.

I really miss my precious weapon that was so glorious in MW1. Soon it will be mine... then you'll all pay... I swear...

I think they set the unlock rank a bit too high. It's quite a change vs. MW1!

DRE Fei

"Camping"

I'm not sure which game you guys are playing, but in the version of modern warfare that I play, bullets drop you pretty easily. Do you expect people to skip merrily out in the open with a big flashing target on their chest for you? Quit fucking running and gunning so much. Also, the killcam makes it impossible to go completely undetected. If they happen to find a really good camping spot, they cannot stay there for the whole game so what's the big deal?

Heartbeat Sensor/Ninja

I appreciate the sensor as a cool piece of tech attached to an already cool looking gun, but I find myself relying on it too much whenever I have it equipped. That is why I try not to use it except on Favela. Fuck that map, even though I usually have decent stats on it. I truly feel that many people will not prestige due to the perks being so strong in this game. Combine that with the fact that prestige is only slightly less lame than it was last time, and I can see many strong opponents in the future. I also think ninja and cold blooded should share the same perk slot. The fact that you can have cold blooded+ninja+silenced weapon is insane and I cannot understand why they didn't balance those 2 perks out.

Dina

Full Recovery said:
Modern Warfare 2 Experience Calculator
http://www.mlwgames.com/mw2exp/

Find out how long it will take you to get to prestige 10 level 70

Oh shit, lvl 1 prestige 1 is more then the step from lvl 69 to 70? I thought it would be the same. Knowing that, prestige is fucking dumb. I love the game, but simple gamelengtheners like that are so cheap.

DevelopmentArrested said:
ACR >>> both combined.

Aug-hbar.jpg

If ya don't know...now ya know.

RSTEIN said:
So I got the game on Saturday and now am at level 30. I find that my k/d is really starting to get hit hard all of a sudden. Why... it's because I'm getting matched up against >40 guys who mow me down with you-know-what-gun. This gun-the gun of all guns-makes my FAMAS or SCAR look like a pee shooter. I rarely win a duel with anyone wielding these bad boys.

I really miss my precious weapon that was so glorious in MW1. Soon it will be mine... then you'll all pay... I swear...

I think they set the unlock rank a bit too high. It's quite a change vs. MW1!

lolwat. If I can beat up people 50+ with a Riot shield you can beat them with guns :lol

The scar is a pretty decent weapon, atm im using the m4something (burst shot one) to get the unlocks etc, the one above scar is pretty damn good aswell.

The one in mw1 the first M4 you get was the best one imo and thats the one im dicking about with now (like unlocking the shotgun in one round :p)

mr_boo

Stopping Power pretty much a given when going with the ACR? I was really looking forward to the FAL until someone mentioned the kick...I miss my G3 (COD4) :(

Ten-Song

God I fucking hate Wasteland so much. There is absolutely no game mode that is fun to play on it. It is a terrible map, and Infinity Ward should feel bad for including it in the game. I really would like to understand what kind of design philosophy went into the damn map (beyond it being a remake, that is).

"We feel we have a great map here, because it's a big friggin' circle, and the only method of safe combat on the outside is sniping or camping, or both, and the only way to be effective at normal infantry combat is to travel into the center of map, into what we call the 'grenade hole.' Why is it called the grenade hole? Because, grenades, that's why. This way, either you're constantly dodging sniper fire, or you're getting flash banged or stunned every two seconds, and that's what makes it an awesome map!"

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Ten-Song said:
God I fucking hate Wasteland so much. There is absolutely no game mode that is fun to play on it. It is a terrible map, and Infinity Ward should feel bad for including it in the game. I really would like to understand what kind of design philosophy went into the damn man (beyond it being a remake, that is).

"We feel we have a great map here, because it's a big friggin' circle, and the only method of safe combat on the outside is sniping or camping, or both, and the only way to be effective at normal infantry combat is to travel into the center of map, into what we call the 'grenade hole.' Why is it called the grenade hole? Because, grenades, that's why. This way, either you're constantly dodging sniper fire, or you're getting flash banged or stunned every two seconds, and that's what makes it an awesome map!"
Makes for a good sabotage map though.

mcrae

Dina said:
Oh shit, lvl 1 prestige 1 is more then the step from lvl 69 to 70? I thought it would be the same. Knowing that, prestige is fucking dumb. I love the game, but simple gamelengtheners like that are so cheap.

uhh, no, its the same each prestige. you fucked up somehow

Robot 492

Banned
Ten-Song said:
God I fucking hate Wasteland so much. There is absolutely no game mode that is fun to play on it. It is a terrible map, and Infinity Ward should feel bad for including it in the game. I really would like to understand what kind of design philosophy went into the damn map (beyond it being a remake, that is).

Yeah, it's a great sniper map.

My favorite map is the Airport one (Terminal?), but I can never get into any games on it.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Fuck man, my last 3 or 4 matches were full of that annoying lag shit yet again - what the HELL man.

Time to call it quits for tonight.

It's extremely frustrating in such a game like this where you can die so quickly.

Costanza said:
Just finished the campaign. Awesome action packed ride. Loved every minute of it.

back to gamefly it goes now (don't care about multiplayer)

That's.. that's like buying any other videogame just for the box it came in, that's wrong and you should feel bad. :lol

mbmonk said:
In what cases is it preferable to use a Stun nade over a Flash nade? It just seems like Flash nades are better hands down. What am I missing?

If you're running an already fast build (like the Marathon/Lightweight builds) or a silent running build (the Ninja/cold-blooded guys), the stun will slow down the target(s) and make them even easier prey and you don't want to give away your position, the stun is the better option as the light of the flash 'nade can be seen over a much farther area.

Robot 492

Banned
Hyunkel6 said:
I often get it in TD and Free-For-All.
I rarely play TDM and I never play Free-For-All. I usually play Capture The Flag or Domination. I'll start playing some TDM again though, since I really want to play more games on that map.

Nizz

mcrae said:
living in canada, playing for the past 4 days, i havent had any trouble with lag, at all.
host migration has happened over a dozen times, and failed twice. not bad.

to others:
camping is never a problem for me... if you're complaining about it your playstyle sucks.
Not bad, thanks for the info. I told myself I'd try the game after I finish watching "Sons" on FX, but I think I'm gonna try at least single player right now. ;)

Griffith

Banned
Ten-Song said:

I love Wasteland on Headquarters. It's so easy to rack up kills. Every time I play it, I almost always get to the AC 130. And I don't camp, or snipe, I target the people who do, using my stealth class.

Mogg0 said:
All nice in theory, but for us Aussies no matter how much the engine compensates, we get fucked over. Treyarch managed to help the issue by including a function that greatly increased the chances of finding a locally hosted game.

I know you've said the MW2 should cover this, but IT DOESN'T. AT ALL. It's far, far worse.

I'd really love a response, and not for you to do your usual routine of posting, and then never responding to the questions that pop up as a result. I don't mean to sound like a prick, I'm just frustrated.

So? Any chance of local search? And what about stat-tracking?
Yeah, pretty fucking stupid of all things to leave out (let's not get started with all that again) is a local search. You expect all of us Aussies to be playing Americans all the time?

One other thing that irks me about this game is in the SP. You play a mission there is multiple checkpoints which it says it saves at. In theory it works, when you die you restart at that checkpoint. But when you quit and save you have to start the mission over again from the start. Worst design flaw imo.

Top Bottom