• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

NIN90 said:
I assume 90% of the player base doesn't even notice foot steps.
I learned a long time ago that dead silence isn't so much that other people can't hear you, it's that you can't hear yourself. if you're completely silent, you can hear everyone around you, and that's where its real benefit lies. well, that and the fact that heartbeat sensors are bullshit and it's fun to make them not work.

NIN90 said:
Yeah, I do too. But that doesn't mean that everyone else does. Ninja Pro is a wasted perk imo cause most people wouldn't even hear you without that perk in the first place.

It's a win/win then. The players not good enough to listen for me I'll sneak up and the players smart enough to listen for sounds won't hear me either so I can sneak up on them.

Jonsoncao said:
1.7Million ppl online at the same time...zomfg

Yet we will sit forever on a screen that says "Waiting for 1 more player to join..."

DMeisterJ

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
It's a win/win then. The players not good enough to listen for me I'll sneak up and the players smart enough to listen for sounds won't hear me either so I can sneak up on them.

Yet we will sit forever on a screen that says "Waiting for 1 more player to join..."
I've never understood with millions of players online, finding a match takes forever

Hyunkel6

DMeisterJ said:
I've never understood with millions of players online, finding a match takes forever

I guess it depends on where you live? I have been playing the MP since day 1, and the matchmaking has always been close to instantaneous for me. I also have experience severe lag in only one game.

kuYuri

D4Danger said:
how do you know who the host is?

As soon as the match starts, bring up the scoreboard and see who has full green bars. That person is host. Everyone else should still have yellow bars at this point.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Strider2K99 said:
As soon as the match starts, bring up the scoreboard and see who has full green bars. That person is host. Everyone else should still have yellow bars at this point.

Ahh ok. I'll have to remember that.

I don't think I've had any problems with host advantage. The problem with Gears was it was very close quaters fighting and the shotgun was 1 hit 1 kill so the host had a massive advantage.

If the game lags does it also effect the host? could the host continue to run around killing people while everyone else is stuck?

kuYuri

Strider2K99 said:

To be more specific, when I say as soon as the match starts, I'm talking specifically when the countdown is still going on at the beginning (10...9...8...etc.). That's when you need to check and again, you have to be fast before the game updates everyone's ping.

Ganhyun

Dabanton said:
I love how it's not worth calling in air support anymore as they get immediately hit by a stinger.:lol

Yea, I've noticed alot of that as well.

D4Danger said:
somebody blew up my chopper before it even got to the map :(

I've done that a few times myself. Causes alot of rage. :D

Narag

bigswords said:
AA - 12 Shotgun is god's given gift to counter commando craze people.

Amen. It irritates me when people use it to camp a corner or something but damn its funny as hell to clear a corridor or room with it then dropping it for a better weapon off a corpse. :lol

Anyone else angry about how every news outlet spoil the "controversial" level?! Its hard to avoid spoilers when everyone is talking about it...

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
bigswords said:
AA - 12 Shotgun is god's given gift to counter commando craze people.

I've never used it personally (duh) but it seems like it has too much recoil based on the videos I've seen on youtube of the real thing in action. I was actually worried when they announced it was going to be in the game cause I thought it would totally dominate.

bigswords

RSTEIN said:
I've never used it personally (duh) but it seems like it has too much recoil based on the videos I've seen on youtube of the real thing in action. I was actually worried when they announced it was going to be in the game cause I thought it would totally dominate.

I can strafe and do headshots with it, it's really dangerous close range, medium and long of course you won't be able to hit the side of barn, but CQC, it can rip through people quick.

bigswords

Narag said:
Amen. It irritates me when people use it to camp a corner or something but damn its funny as hell to clear a corridor or room with it then dropping it for a better weapon off a corpse. :lol

The only bad thing with that gun is that it chews through ammo pretty quickly, scavenger perk is required for this gun.

Yeah I have been in those situations when I turn a corner and bam! bam! me and another teammates go down. But it's so priceless against commando players , I see them "leap" to me and the fall backwards due to the impact of the shotgun blast lolz...

Jonsoncao

Banned
DMeisterJ said:
wat?

it is like 2 sec or sth you ll find a match, during intermission, if many guys quit, then it will take some time to balance, but still less than the countdown itself
360 version here

jmaybe it is time to change your isp

Keikoku

Banned
mcrae said:
dont listen to him.

ive never seen anyone bunny hopping.
you cannot snipe against a sniper with a p90. wtf.
camping is a poor strategy because the maps are so massive, its rare that you will find a good camping spot where you will rack up lots of kills. i havent encountered it virtually at all, i think for this reason. and at the same time, people complaining about campers complain how the maps are big with few chokepoints. so then go around and kill the camper from a differnt direction, moron
match making may be bad, but no where near broken. if you keep getting put in with the same group of guys, leave the lobby, wait till the game would have started, then join again. or play a different mode. its pretty simple.

Yeah this.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Ganhyun said:
I've done that a few times myself. Causes alot of rage. :D

You Maniac! You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God damn you to hell!

Keikoku said:
Yeah this.

Exactly. You have a kill cam so it's not that hard to find somebody. I find it's normally the people who run across open areas and jump about a lot who complain about campers.

ACE 1991

Just played demolition for about an hour, quite a fun game mode. It's very difficult to secure two areas though, I find it easier just to let the game go into a time extension, defending/attacking only one site.

Ten-Song

bigswords said:
Nah 3 rocketlaunchers shooting at , it's downed pretty quick.

That's the trick though, you need a few people on your team that aren't dumbasses and actually fire rockets at the thing. Though, if times are tough and I'm the only one with a stinger equiped, I'll fire both rockets, kill myself, and then kill the thing once I've respawned. Not really a great way to get rid of a kill streak, but I feel much better running around knowing that thing isn't in the sky.

Ganhyun

D4Danger said:
You Maniac! You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God damn you to hell!

:lol yeah, sounds alot like that after the match. :D I just laugh it off though. Its not like they can't do the same to my chopper/pavelow/harrier/etc. Unless of course, they are some of those that totally ignore anti air secondary classes. I have known a few of them.

evanylee

I wonder, after Gaz and Ghost, if there will be
another G named character (Goat?) with the same voice actor that ends up dying
in the next MW game

Stillmatic

This game is just getting frustrating. I've had the day off work and thought it'd be a good opportunity to get some MP going. I've had 1 green game all day (6 hours worth of trying). Friend invites are still not working. I've had about 6 console lockups today when searching for games (only happened since the 1.04 update). Even had a party of 8 NZ/AUS players and none of us ever getting to host a single game, sometimes it'd be one American with 4 green bars with our whole party and the rest left with red or yellow bars, it always happens when we get a party going.

What a waste of a day, they seriously need some regional search or something... :(

Mikey Jr.

Just a question about spec ops.

If you do them by yourself, does the difficulty lower versus doing it with a partner?

Bonus question: Whats the button for flares for the ac-130?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Mikey Jr. said:

If you do them by yourself, does the difficulty lower versus doing it with a partner?

Not in my experience.

The stealth level had the same number of enemies when I did it alone and with a buddy.

Jtrizzy

Rayme said:
Halo & MW's matchmaking are more similar than you realize. Bungie set a good model to pay attention to. =)

MarkMclovin is right; there is a hidden trueskill value (or the equivalent, on PS3 & PC) that's used to matchmake you with other players. Your rank doesn't factor in at all, because unskilled players can level up too. Remember, your MW1/2 rank never goes down, it only increases.

If it wasn't like this, then (eventually) unskilled level-70 players would rise up to regularly take on the INCREDIBLY AMAZING level-70 guys. And there would be tears. Oh; there would be tears.

Here is my issue. I just started playing MP and am constantly going against people at level 67. I'd really like to be playing against people who are just getting started as well as opposed to getting my ass waxed by people who have been logging massive hours to get to level 60 whatever.

I get how the truskill system works, but are you saying that it kept my stats from MW1 for my true skill in MW2? That's cool, but I had the first on PS3 but this one on 360 with a fresh gamertag.

jiien

Jtrizzy said:
Here is my issue. I just started playing MP and am constantly going against people at level 67. I'd really like to be playing against people who are just getting started as well as opposed to getting my ass waxed by people who have been logging massive hours to get to level 60 whatever.

I get how the truskill system works, but are you saying that it kept my stats from MW1 for my true skill in MW2? That's cool, but I had the first on PS3 but this one on 360 with a fresh gamertag.

My understanding of the system is that it can't truly figure out how "good" you are until you play for a little bit, rack up kills, deaths, etc. I'm not sure where the limit might be, but it takes some time for it to accurately "judge" you. It definitely did not take into account your MW1 stats.

bigswords

Ten-Song said:
That's the trick though, you need a few people on your team that aren't dumbasses and actually fire rockets at the thing. Though, if times are tough and I'm the only one with a stinger equiped, I'll fire both rockets, kill myself, and then kill the thing once I've respawned. Not really a great way to get rid of a kill streak, but I feel much better running around knowing that thing isn't in the sky.

I agree it's much tougher if you are in a random match, but take the cold blooded perk and scavenger, once you get the javelin u can take out the C130 with relative ease.

Strider2K99 said:

They've changed this a little bit to (I think) disguise it more than it was in COD4. In COD4 it was simplistic to determine who the host was.

Ten-Song

bigswords said:
I agree it's much tougher if you are in a random match, but take the cold blooded perk and scavenger, once you get the javelin u can take out the C130 with relative ease.

Does scavenger replenish launcher ammo? I use cold blooded on a couple of classes, but if I can refill rocket ammo, I may well just make an entire class dedicated to killing vehicles.

Narag

Ten-Song said:
Does scavenger replenish launcher ammo? I use cold blooded on a couple of classes, but if I can refill rocket ammo, I may well just make an entire class dedicated to killing vehicles.

It does.

Mikey Jr. said:

Bonus question: Whats the button for flares for the ac-130?

It automatically drops flares

Just unlocked the M24 EBR(final sniper rifle). Ahh its good to have that rifle back. :D

People can keep their Barretts. My intervention and M24 are my babies. :D

Top Bottom