• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Sean

Banned
Lionheart1827 said:
I think you can climb ladders faster. Dont quote me on that though

That's Marathon Pro (which I just unlocked). Seemed kind of underwhelming (how many ladders are in MP, like two?) which is why I'm wondering if the Lightweight Pro is worth going after.

buy teh haloz said:
Lets you use your weapon faster after sprinting.

sounds good, thanks.

Jonsoncao said:
wat?

it is like 2 sec or sth you ll find a match, during intermission, if many guys quit, then it will take some time to balance, but still less than the countdown itself
360 version here

jmaybe it is time to change your isp

360 here and groups of 4 or higher take a pretty long time to find matches and that's if it doesn't drop one of us so we all have to back out to our lobby and start the search again.

The more people you have in your party, the more time it takes to find a match even though there are millions of people online.

Sean said:
That's Marathon Pro (which I just unlocked). Seemed kind of underwhelming (how many ladders are in MP, like two?) which is why I'm wondering if the Lightweight Pro is worth going after.

sounds good, thanks.

Thats right, lightweight pro allows you to aim quicker after sprinting.

Sean said:

sounds good, thanks.

Marathon Pro, if you're playing a speed/blitz class, is a godsend. Jumping over sandbags, fences, etc at the same pace as running means you never lose momentum and can always get in close for that SMG/shotty/knife kill that you are chasing. The place I love it the most is Quarry though. You know the big walls of stone leading up to that snipe platform by the buildings up top? You can scale that mountain in about 2 seconds, whereas it takes just as long(if not longer) to actually run up the path beside it. That map is what showed me how useful Marathon Pro could really be for a Runner build.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Sticking a riot shielder with semtex is always good fun, but it's even better when you take out the one or two guys that are huddled behind him. I think I had like nine grenade kills in a match on Afghan tonight. :lol

Taurus

.GqueB. said:
Ah ok. Well thats personal preference really. I find anything over 5 vs 5 to be annoying. I remember playing big team battle in halo was fun but only for a match or two. I prefer games be bit smaller in scale.
True, true. I hoped when I saw full-scale war in SP that there would be same kind of action in MP. It just wasn't my game, but I understand there are lots of people who will and do love this game.

Oh, one another thing to complain: lack of destructible things in MP maps, like floors, walls etc. I expected more from a 2009 game.

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
This sucks. My busy schedule will prevent me from playing this until next Thurs. By that time surely most everyone will overpower me. I don't know if it's worth keeping the game now.

J-Rzez

mcrae said:
dont listen to him.

ive never seen anyone bunny hopping.
you cannot snipe against a sniper with a p90. wtf.
camping is a poor strategy because the maps are so massive, its rare that you will find a good camping spot where you will rack up lots of kills. i havent encountered it virtually at all, i think for this reason. and at the same time, people complaining about campers complain how the maps are big with few chokepoints. so then go around and kill the camper from a differnt direction, moron
match making may be bad, but no where near broken. if you keep getting put in with the same group of guys, leave the lobby, wait till the game would have started, then join again. or play a different mode. its pretty simple.

You're not playing the same game then, as other's have agreed to what I said.
You can snipe with a P90 or other SMG, or LMG even, ffs I do it on a bit of the maps.
As far as being a moron, you can't kill your own team mates when they're in a train car, looking out in an obscure spot, going 1-0 the whole time on the map. It's not just playing against these people, they're on your team doing jack shit and you're at a loss then. And this happens WAY too often.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
God damn I hate the lag differences...trying to snipe people, shooting them dead on and missing :(

Using this shield/knife combo really messed up my ability to shoot guns though :lol Using SCAR with stopping power pro and still couldnt kill people with advantage.

Ten-Song

GOD YOU IDIOT YOU'RE RIGHT BEHIND THE SENTRY, WHY ARE YOU SHOOTING IT?! JUST KNIFE THE FUCKING THING ALREADY AND STOP SPRAYING BULLETS!

rodvik

Pyke Presco said:
Marathon Pro, if you're playing a speed/blitz class, is a godsend. Jumping over sandbags, fences, etc at the same pace as running means you never lose momentum and can always get in close for that SMG/shotty/knife kill that you are chasing. The place I love it the most is Quarry though. You know the big walls of stone leading up to that snipe platform by the buildings up top? You can scale that mountain in about 2 seconds, whereas it takes just as long(if not longer) to actually run up the path beside it. That map is what showed me how useful Marathon Pro could really be for a Runner build.

Thanks for ruining my ratio by the way.

I thought "hey I will try this speed/knife build I read about from my nice GAF friends" What happens? I get totally hooked. I just LOVE jumping off stuff throwing knives, causing panic when I get behind their lines watching as claymore detonate behind me after I triggered them. Everytime I boot up my regular iceman FAL build I think, "hmm well maybe one more knife man run wouldnt hurt..."

Result? my ratio is plummeting, but my god it is glorious .

I gave cold blooded a go after unlocking it last night. Felt at a major disadvantage, SCAR felt weak (I use a silencer) without stopping power until I unlocked FMJ which seems to compensate for it. Feels like a good setup now along with scavenger pro.

I'm kinda pissed at Infinity Ward for not penalizing people who just camp on objective based games, racking up tons of easy kills but hurting their team's chance of winning big time.

Nothing worse than a headquarters or domination match with a sniper on your team who does nothing but get easy kills from people trying to get flags, but not really defending shit at the same time.

Other games have handled this balance much better in the 2 years since MW1 came out.

Mileena

Banned
Yea the ACR with a silencer is like an SMG with range. It's so good. Though I switched to the M16 with red dot and silencer and got my ratio up to 1.8 :D

corkscrewblow said:
Yea the ACR with a silencer is like an SMG with range. It's so good. Though I switched to the M16 with red dot and silencer and got my ratio up to 1.8 :D

I can't waaaaaait for the M16 with a silencer. Such a good gun.

UFRA

I successfully took down an AC-130 in multiplayer today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I'm doing pretty well, get my 4 kills and I call in a care package. It's a predator missile. Cool, not too bad considering the douches on the opposite team are just camping on the rooftops of some buildings. That will be perfect to get them with.

So I quick hide in a corner while I equip the predator missile and the game switches me to the missile-cam and I start quickly looking for targets. I see 3 guys all within just a few feet of each other on the roof of a building. OWNAGE TIME!!!!!

Suddenly, the camera cuts out in mid air and I immediately get pissed thinking that someone killed me while I was operating the missile or something.

To my extreme delight, I see at the top of the screen that I got +400 points, and then in the top right corner my callsign appears and says "Destroyed AC-130" LOL. :lol :lol

The thing literally spawned right under my missile without me even knowing it...I bet the guy with the AC-130 was so pissed. :lol

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I just won three straight FFA matches with

Marathon
Lightweight
Commando

...by doing nothing but running around the map knifing dudes. They were BIG wins, too. I'd get my 30 kills with 2nd place around 20-22.

The first match I did this I ended up earning 15,000 EXP :lol I completed the first three ranks of Commando, and a handful of other challenge completions.

Three out of my five custom class slots are now filled with "cheese" classes -

- The "knife yo face" build I just outlined.
- A similar build, but with a riot shield. You can melee people from SO FAR AWAY with that shield with Commando.
- An explosives build that gives me a grenade add-on, scavenger (unltd grenades) and danger close.

Anyone know when in a party is match making based on party leader's skill level?

It's weird. When I play in a party with my friend as party leader I always do bad. But when I'm playing by myself I do really good. What gives?

GDJustin said:
I just won three straight FFA matches with

Marathon
Lightweight
Commando

...by doing nothing but running around the map knifing dudes. They were BIG wins, too. I'd get my 30 kills with 2nd place around 20-22.

The first match I did this I ended up earning 15,000 EXP :lol I completed the first three ranks of Commando, and a handful of other challenge completions.

Three out of my five custom class slots are now filled with "cheese" classes -

- The "knife yo face" build I just outlined.
- A similar build, but with a riot shield. You can melee people from SO FAR AWAY with that shield with Commando.
- An explosives build that gives me a grenade add-on, scavenger (unltd grenades) and danger close.
:lol

I just tried your load out on FFA and it was hilarious. 30 kills and 19 deaths, but second place was much closer then yours (27). It was on High rise and there were moments where I had to shoot some people up, but ~25 of those kills were from melee/throwing knives.

rush777

Probably the wrong thread but I shall ask anyways. When I'm playing online it works totally fine for about 4 matches then I will start getting booted midgame, the link and Act lights on my modem turn off as well when I get booted. Then I'll go to the lobby and it will automatically put me right back into the game and the process repeats.

This game is amazing and addicting as fuck :D

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Tkawsome said:
:lol

I just tried your load out on FFA and it was hilarious. 30 kills and 19 deaths, but second place was much closer then yours (27). It was on High rise and there were moments where I had to shoot some people up, but ~25 of those kills were from melee/throwing knives.

Yeah dude. I am NOT a great CoD player (.85 K/D ratio), but I win 50% of FFA matches with this build, and finish top 3 in the other 45% of FFA matches.

And yeah. If you have the opportunity to shoot a dude, it is implied that you take it :lol That's why you should take the silenced weapon of your choice.

Also, this build works better on some maps than others. On Rust and Scrapyard you will absolutely DOMINATE. Just make loops around the outside of the map... knife knife knife. On Estate it is harder... you can't run around like a crazy person. I prefer to lurk around the greenhouse area or over by the garage, and rush in when I hear action.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
ok, how do you use the perks? Are they automatically activated when you pick some up?

I played FFA and almost managed to get a positive k/d ratio this time (think I was about .9) but I don't know what to do with the perks, also, what does the UAV do?

got that twice and the guy gets a little radio or something out for a second. then it's back to normal guns.

and how the fuck are you supposed to deal with aeroplanes? That's just a garbage mechanic.

This game is amazing and addicting as fuck

ADDICTIVE

Rikyfree

I can't wait to play this! Just one thing that I wish IW and pretty much all multiplayer developers would do is steal Killzone 2's warzone mode. I just love that it switches randomly from mode to mode. It's such a great teamwork demanding mode! Please, IW, if you are looking at these boards, do this. I know people would love this if it were in more games! Just look into it, please. I don't know if you can patch something like that in, but it would so be worth it.

catfish said:
ok, how do you use the perks? Are they automatically activated when you pick some up?

I played FFA and almost managed to get a positive k/d ratio this time (think I was about .9) but I don't know what to do with the perks, also, what does the UAV do?

got that twice and the guy gets a little radio or something out for a second. then it's back to normal guns.

and how the fuck are you supposed to deal with aeroplanes? That's just a garbage mechanic.

ADDICTIVE

You will eventually be able to equip perks, in the beginning you have to depend on the presets. The UAV shows you the enemies locations as long as they don't have the Cold Blooded perk on, and as for the planes, you either have to wait them out or shoot them down. Chose a class with a rocket launcher, aim at the plane until the beeping starts and then fire.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
im on the verge of not playing this game ever again.. and to anyone saying that this camping phenomena is a 'myth' or over exaggerated..i just got off of the game with 5 of my friends..we were playing on invasion..all the other team did was hole up in a random part of their spawn and mow down anyone who was within view...so we decided to all hole up in one room together and wait to see if they would advance..we hit the time limit and won the game with 2 kills because not a single one of them would leave their side of the map...coupled with the most primitive lobby system I've ever seen in my life..aka if you don't have a party and you attempt to play a game you're pretty much guaranteed to be tossed in to one already in progress onto a team that has absolutely no hope in hell of winning..disappointing to say the least

Insaniac

so how often do you guys smash tactical insertions? I always camp by them and knife the guy right as they respawn, always hilarious

Insaniac said:
so how often do you guys smash tactical insertions? I always camp by them and knife the guy right as they respawn, always hilarious
I am yet to be knifed on spawning. People have tried. But I am aware that its a chance they might be camping it so I always rush as soon as I spawn on a Tactical Insertion.

NeoUltima

Insaniac said:
I rarely see anyone use them. I think I've only destroyed 2 insertion points ever.

Insaniac said:

I used to smash them instantly on site, but now ive gotten cheeky and, killed the user, waited for him to spawn, and kill him again ^-^

NeoUltima said:
I rarely see anyone use them. I think I've only destroyed 2 insertion points ever.
They are awesome in Domination. Place one outside the place you are going to take over. Go in packing heat. Die, spawn faster than they can say: "Got you noob". Throw in a flash where you now know they are and go in guns blazing. Place a new one when you have killed everyone. You are basically your own backup. The only one I trust =P

Insaniac

Tenkai Star said:
They are awesome in Domination. Place one outside the place you are going to take over. Go in packing heat. Die, spawn faster than they can say: "Got you noob". Throw in a flash where you now know they are and go in guns blazing. Place a new one when you have killed everyone. You are basically your own backup. The only one I trust =P

as much as I hate camping, you can realy abuse the tac insertion on some maps. On a game of domination on quarry, I put a tac insertion above territory B every time. By the time I decided to stop going for B, I had racked up 4 UAVs, 3 care packages, and 3 sentry guns >.>

Insaniac said:
as much as I hate camping, you can realy abuse the tac insertion on some maps. On a game of domination on quarry, I put a tac insertion above territory B every time. By the time I decided to stop going for B, I had racked up 4 UAVs, 3 care packages, and 3 sentry guns >.>
Yeah I know. I put one over B once but it felt cheap. Now I put them outside B or inside B on that map.
The funniest moments is when I drop a Tactical insertion and get killed seconds after and just hammer the square button and respawn with the one who killed me in sight :lol Instant payback

People always seem so clueless when it comes to where to put tactical insertions. It's always some idiot sniper who dumps it right next to where he's sniping from, meaning sneaking up on him is a free two kills.

Son of Godzilla said:
People always seem so clueless when it comes to where to put tactical insertions. It's always some idiot sniper who dumps it right next to where he's sniping from, meaning sneaking up on him is a free two kills.
:lol "whops, didn't think of that"

bigswords

catfish said:

ADDICTIVE

Perks are something you can choose to bring in, they are unlocked by your level. You can turn a perk to a pro version when you complete the set objectives for it.

The UAV will scan your radar on your top left. You can see the orange dots are enemies, but if your radar is jammed (u see static) it will do jack shit. Normally when an enemy fires a NON-silenced weapon it will appear on your radar as well, but will disappear over time.

For destroying air support , you will need rocketlaunchers. Preferable you will a stinger or Javelin as those have auto lock on abilities.

corkscrewblow said:
Like I said before. Use the M16, get your K/D spread up.:lol

pringles

Arjen said:
So glad i finally unlocked the stinger, i'm shooting Heli's and Planes out of the sky left and right, so good :D
Seriously, multiplayer becomes 10,000x better after you unlock the Stinger and cold-blooded.

My main build has the M16 Bling w. red-dot and silencer, cold-blooded, ninja and Stinger.
Needless to say any enemy air-support except for AC130's don't last very long.

BIVIANO!

pringles said:
My main build has the M16 Bling w. red-dot and silencer, cold-blooded, ninja and Stinger.
Needless to say any enemy air-support except for AC130's don't last very long.
That's my exact same build. Was using the SCAR before the M16 unlocked.

I reached Level 70 couple of days ago, so decided to stop playing multi-player for few weeks especially with the fact that I am not going Prestige unlike the last time. I started Spec-Ops with my buddy and we've been doing fine.

Bunch of friends got on and we all started playing domination, I decided why not go with higher kill streak rewards this time? Map we were playing was Afghan and I started with an m-16 with stopping power. Got 7 quick kills and I deployed the Harrier, by the time the Harrier went down, I was 14-0. I then got my Chopper Gunner up in the air and kicked the enemies ass for a while getting quite a lot of double kills. By the time my chopper went down, I was 31-0. I then realized that I got 17 fucking kills with the gunner. Got the Nuke, we let all the flags go and gave them the lead though we were winning, when they had a decent lead to win, deployed the nuke, we end up with a WIN. I think i was 39-2 or something at the end of the game.

Never had a nuke before, felt good that I got one, but at the same time I realized how cheap it is, thinking how many people would be camping to get a high kill streak. It is also stupid that you can win the game by deploying a nuke, no matter you were winning or not prior to the nuke.

Top Bottom