• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

It had been probably 2-3 months since I played CoD:MW, but I've played this one every day since launch, and I seem to be getting worse. My k/d ratio is 1.18 at level 36, but over the past 3-4 days, am starting to feel like I am horrible at this game. It just feels like between campers, predator missles giving me the Hulk Hogan finger, very poor respawns in bunches, being on team "not good..... not good at all", and generally facing kids whom apparently have been going through extensive MW2 training in a underwater FPS practice facility, I have to fight tooth and nail to break even anymore.

My friend, whom I dominated on a very regular basis at MW1 is having 52-9 games and stuff. I completely dont understand whats going on.

Halcyon

So I rented MW2 last week and played through it, and got to level 20 in Multiplayer. I had to return it. I'm jonesing to play it so bad. It was my first COD game and I now understand.

My wife bought me the game for christmas and now I can't play it till then. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I'm having such fun with this build:

P90 w/Rapid Fire, Akimbo
AA-12
Semtex/Stun 'nade

Perks
Bling
Stopping Power
Steady Aim
Deathstreak: Matyrdom

Forget Sentry Guns, with both guns blazing, I'm a walking one that has the chance to occasionally drop a frag or toss a sticky bomb. I love playing Ground War, I just cut shit up with this build on Domination. :lol

winnarps

The gametype Demolition seems to offer an amazing amount of XP.

I was getting 3000+ bonuses from rounds last night. Compared to 1500 from TDM.

It also helps that it's a crazy fun gametype.

winnarps said:
The gametype Demolition seems to offer an amazing amount of XP.

I was getting 3000+ bonuses from rounds last night. Compared to 1500 from TDM.

It also helps that it's a crazy fun gametype.
Which one is Demolition again?

winnarps

Attacking and Defending teams. 2 rounds.

Attack team members all have 'bombs'. There are 2 bomb planting points that need to be destroyed before the round ends. Destroying one will extend the round timer. Destroying both wins the round.

Then it switches team roles after the first round.

winnarps said:
Attacking and Defending teams. 2 rounds.

Attack team members all have 'bombs'. There are 2 bomb planting points that need to be destroyed before the round ends. Destroying one will extend the round timer. Destroying both wins the round.

Then it switches team roles after the first round.
Ah ok. Haven't played that one much.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
HalcyonTB12 said:
So I rented MW2 last week and played through it, and got to level 20 in Multiplayer. I had to return it. I'm jonesing to play it so bad. It was my first COD game and I now understand.

My wife bought me the game for christmas and now I can't play it till then. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Convert to Judaism and ask to get it for Hanukkah. You'll get it a few weeks early.

Magik

Demolition is a really fun gametype but some of the bomb sites are absolutely terrible and not to mention there isn't a lot of time as well.

Halcyon

industrian said:
Convert to Judaism and ask to get it for Hanukkah. You'll get it a few weeks early.

impatience.jpg

TheApatheticOne said:
It had been probably 2-3 months since I played CoD:MW, but I've played this one every day since launch, and I seem to be getting worse. My k/d ratio is 1.18 at level 36, but over the past 3-4 days, am starting to feel like I am horrible at this game. It just feels like between campers, predator missles giving me the Hulk Hogan finger, very poor respawns in bunches, being on team "not good..... not good at all", and generally facing kids whom apparently have been going through extensive MW2 training in a underwater FPS practice facility, I have to fight tooth and nail to break even anymore.

My friend, whom I dominated on a very regular basis at MW1 is having 52-9 games and stuff. I completely dont understand whats going on.

The pool of talent for this game is so large that you are probably never going to be very good in the grand scheme of things. If you can have fun with the game knowing that, keep playing. There are games where there is no good reason to play if you aren't winning, because they are so soul crushing (I find RTS to be this way). This game is a blast to just be on the battlefield because there is so much crazy stuff going on. So, set your own goals and leave it at that. I do OK, but I get the most out of setting up a kill that would baffle and infuriate someone watching a kill cam.

By the way. is it necessarily the case that half the people in the game should have a K/D over 1, and half under 1? It seems that would be the case with a game that was all elimination modes, but does infinite respawns change this?

The only reason is I have a K/D over 1, and I played MW for about a month on PC. I expected a more horrifying experience, like when I played Halo 3 recently. I did switch to the PS3 version, and MW1 community probably didn't become absurd. It's nice.

rodvik said:
Thanks for ruining my ratio by the way.

I thought "hey I will try this speed/knife build I read about from my nice GAF friends" What happens? I get totally hooked. I just LOVE jumping off stuff throwing knives, causing panic when I get behind their lines watching as claymore detonate behind me after I triggered them. Everytime I boot up my regular iceman FAL build I think, "hmm well maybe one more knife man run wouldnt hurt..."

Result? my ratio is plummeting, but my god it is glorious .

Yeah, the ratio drops precipitously if you have a couple of bad games, and it takes some time when you go back to gunning to get used to the slow movement and the whole ranged combat thing. But man oh man, is that build ever addictive and hilarious. I love playing it on the big maps like Derail, Wasteland, and Afghan, because those are the ones where it absolutely should not work, but it still manages to come out close enough to even. If I play that class I've completely given up on shooting people, but I'm getting better with the knives. Tossed one at a guy in the trench on wasteland, grabbed the knife from his corpse, spun around, tossed it directly in his buddies face, got it back, jumped the trench and rushed down a sniper and stabbed him in the face while he's spraying .50 cal shots all around me. It was pretty funny.

But for the love of god, do not use that build in hardcore...it is terrible. I booted up a hardcore game and went like 5-23 on Rundown, which is one of ym better maps for knifing in standard TDM. It was a rude awakening for me. Everybody ahs a billion claymores all over the place, and theres nobody moving through the open, you have to actually crawl up into the buildings slowly and watch every nook and cranny...not fun. But in regular, its so awesome.

(Sorry about your ratio, but....c'mon, it was totally worth it, right?)

The amount of air support in this game has gotten ridiculous, god damn I wish they put back in the grenade spamming and got rid of these damn killstreaks. At least put a limit on amount of air support that can be out at one time, it's awful when a team has both air support hovering around AND a C-130 flying around also in the background blasting shit as well as dropping missles, they should all be limited to one air support at a time.

I'm scoring more points in matches going dedicated anti air duty shooting down everything :lol

BattleMonkey said:
The amount of air support in this game has gotten ridiculous, god damn I wish they put back in the grenade spamming and got rid of these damn killstreaks. At least put a limit on amount of air support that can be out at one time, it's awful when a team has both air support hovering around AND a C-130 flying around also in the background blasting shit as well, they should all be limited to one air support at a time.

I'm scoring more points in matches going dedicated anti air duty shooting down everything :lol
There is.

I tried out the shield combo last night and that was an entertaining distraction. I loved getting people trapped in the corner of a room and watching them panic just before I beat them to death :lol

BattleMonkey said:
Only on air support of the same type. You can still have a C130 and a harrier going at the same time for example.
I know. which makes it pretty silly that IW understood the need of a limit, but choose this to be acceptable.

BattleMonkey said:
Only on air support of the same type. You can still have a C130 and a harrier going at the same time for example.

Yup. We totally wrecked the other team on Favela last night with me calling in a pavelow & a teammate calling in a harrier airstrike on the other side of the map. This was immediately following by another pavelow from us. It was chaos :lol

FerranMG

Class_A_Ninja said:
By the way. is it necessarily the case that half the people in the game should have a K/D over 1, and half under 1? It seems that would be the case with a game that was all elimination modes, but does infinite respawns change this?

Nope, it's not necessarily this way.
Imagine there's only 3 people playing: person A, B and C.

A kills B.
B kills A.
Now k/d ratio for person A and B is exactly 1.
Then person C kills 2 times A and 2 times B.
Now k/d ratio for person A and B is 0.33, while obviously for that match k/d ratio for person C is >1.

You can extrapolate this to the whole game since the number of kills and deaths is always numerable.

Mikey Jr.

So guys, which one is better,

Harrier or chopper?

Been trying the harrier and I dunno. The initial missile strike is good, but after that, it seems like a piece of shit.

But I tried the chopper, and that thing seemed worse. I activated it on highrise, and it literally circled the map so far away that the chopper actually killing anyone was impossible.

Been using

Predator missile - 4
Harrier Strike - 6
AC-130 -10
with hardline, and I have been getting ac-130 a few times. The other problem I have with the harrier is that I still don't understand the topographical map, so when it asks me to select a location, I get confused by the map it brings up. I have no idea what is where.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Mikey Jr. said:
The other problem I have with the harrier is that I still don't understand the topographical map, so when it asks me to select a location, I get confused by the map it brings up. I have no idea what is where.

This embarassingly happens with me. For some reason, it was easier to understand in CoD4 when calling in an Airstrike. The first time I got a Harrier, I called it in on myself. :lol Got some kills, but it was still rather disgusting.

Brakara

GuardianE said:
This embarassingly happens with me. For some reason, it was easier to understand in CoD4 when calling in an Airstrike.

I managed to kill myself a couple of times by calling in an airstrike in CoD4. Of course in this game I upped it by killing myself with a care package drop. Hopefully nobody watched. :lol

Mikey Jr. said:
So guys, which one is better,

Harrier or chopper?

Been trying the harrier and I dunno. The initial missile strike is good, but after that, it seems like a piece of shit.

But I tried the chopper, and that thing seemed worse. I activated it on highrise, and it literally circled the map so far away that the chopper actually killing anyone was impossible.

Been using

Predator missile - 4
Harrier Strike - 6
AC-130 -10
with hardline, and I have been getting ac-130 a few times. The other problem I have with the harrier is that I still don't understand the topographical map, so when it asks me to select a location, I get confused by the map it brings up. I have no idea what is where.
It depends on where you place the strike. The last harrier jet (let's call him Jimmy) will hover over where you placed the strike. If you place the strike in an area where a lot of enemies are, Jimmy will get you a decent amount of kills (if he's not shot down to quickly).

Let's call the chopper Bob. When you call in Bob, he just flies around the map and tries to get you kills (sometimes he's quite rude and doesn't give you any).

Between Bob and Jimmy, I never notice one getting way more kills more often than the other. I'd say Bob and Jimmy are about equal in effectiveness.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Brakara said:
I managed to kill myself a couple of times by calling in an airstrike in CoD4. Of course in this game I upped it by killing myself with a care package drop. Hopefully nobody watched. :lol

:lol It's incredibly frustrating when calling in care packages, you're sitting there and one of your teammates decides to stand directly under the drop and look up at it. First of all, you're trying to steal my care package. Second of all, you're about to die by care package drop. I set my mic settings to be friends only, so I can't yell at them. Two of these scenarios ended in the teammate getting crushed by the package.

When choosing the direction of tha airstrike, are you choosing the direction the planes will fly towards or the direction the planes will come from?

Dax01 said:
It depends on where you place the strike. The last harrier jet (let's call him Jimmy) will hover over where you placed the strike. If you place the strike in an area where a lot of enemies are, Jimmy will get you a decent amount of kills (if he's not shot down to quickly).

Let's call the chopper Bob. When you call in Bob, he just flies around the map and tries to get you kills (sometimes he's quite rude and doesn't give you any).

Between Bob and Jimmy, I never notice one getting way more kills more often than the other. I'd say Bob and Jimmy are about equal in effectiveness.

Lucky you dumbed that concept down for his caveman mind.

Neverender said:
Lucky you dumbed that concept down for his caveman mind.
That's actually what I refer to them in game.

Harrier Jets - Jimmy
Chopper, Chopper Gunner, Pavelow - Bob
Care Package - Junior
AC130 Gunship - Steve
Turret - Billy

DMeisterJ

Banned
Right now I have my killstreaks as UAV, Heli, and AC 130, but the Heli doesn't normally take me up to 11 kills from 7, so I figure I'll switch it to Heli, Pave Low, AC 130 when I get my next reward.

TheExodu5

Banned
I personally think Pave Low is the best killstreak. That thing is really hard to kill, unless you've got an entire team going for it.

The only to make sure is to never call one in with an AC130 up in the air.

TheKurgan

I plan on diving into this game over the weekend - any advice for a solid early multiplayer build that can get me through the first dozen or so levels?

cameltoe

my killstreaks are set based on the map.....

Open type maps:
7 Harrier, 11 Chopper Gunner 25 Nuke

Tight maps:
3 UAV, 5 Sentry, 9 Pavelow

Aurora

j-wood said:
Can someone tell me about this speed knife build?
Marathon
Lightweight
Commando

Always keep moving around, stabbing people as you see them. Because you're so fast and constantly running around the map it's near impossible for someone to chase you.

Corran Horn said:
Trying the Shield combo with Commando/Marathon/Lightweight. Its pretty fun if you get people who are not sure how to kill you, unload a clip then reload and switch to gun and knife them :lol
Here is video at Terminal....Ive done alot better in the kill ratio though
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZxhBRAv2zU&fmt=22

lol that looks pretty fun, I've got to practice shield ramming people. Also only the other day I realized the shield on someone back will block things too, makes sense...

I'm genuinely enjoying multi, far far faaar from the better k:d ratios but I feel really accomplished when I break even lol. Can't wait till I get that stinger, I usually purposefully die after I shoot my first rocket with the lower tier one just to respawn and get the second killing shot off for easy points.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
j-wood said:
Can someone tell me about this speed knife build?
Well, with marathon and lightweight, you can run non-stop really fast, and commando gives you increased melee range, so you don't have to be very close to knife someone. The combination of these perks make it really, really easy to follow and sneak up on people who aren't as fast as you, as well as enable you to basically run right up to people and knife them in the face before they even realize you're there. Plus, knifing while running is seamless, so you can run around corners and into rooms without much fear and attack, whereas going from running to shooting takes a second or two.

steadfast

Aurora said:
Marathon
Lightweight
Commando

Always keep moving around, stabbing people as you see them. Because you're so fast and constantly running around the map it's near impossible for someone to chase you.

It's made that much more fun when you have the tactical knife unlocked with a silenced USP

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Son of Godzilla said:
People always seem so clueless when it comes to where to put tactical insertions. It's always some idiot sniper who dumps it right next to where he's sniping from, meaning sneaking up on him is a free two kills.

I put it about 10ft behind me so if somebody does knife me I spawn behind them :lol

works surprisingly well

TheExodu5 said:
I personally think Pave Low is the best killstreak. That thing is really hard to kill, unless you've got an entire team going for it.

The only to make sure is to never call one in with an AC130 up in the air.
Really? It tends to only take 1 or 2 Stingers to take it down. It does kill things better though.

I had a great game where the entire other team was using shields. They were murdering us until I figured out that you stun, grenade, stun shoot and stab. I was surrounded by 4 of them and ended up the last man standing. So awesome!

Hawk SE

Aurora said:
Marathon
Lightweight
Commando

I think the best name for the Custom Class to give this is "Blade Runner"

So one of those jumping players meets me on highrise, jumps in front of me I shoot him and the motherfucker dies and falls over the edge of the building!

That, my friends is payback to all you jumpers out there. You can now carry on.

Problem with the shield is, even though things feel smooth, and you are constantly facing your opponent, they will get you.. and in the death cam, you can see how the lag makes you open to attack.

Try standing under a harrier or in front of a turret for a shower of xp though.

TheKurgan said:
I plan on diving into this game over the weekend - any advice for a solid early multiplayer build that can get me through the first dozen or so levels?

It's hard to be competitive until you reach the mid 20's so don't be discouraged if you have 2-15 matches. Learn the maps, try following people at much higher levels, & don't ignore the killcam until you are really aware of your surroundings. Try to use silenced weapons as they'll help keep you off some radars & have Care Packages equiped w/ hardline, as getting killstreaks early on can be harder than you'd think. This will let you enjoy most killstreaks before you can unlock them, thus helping you make some choices when you can finally unlock them.

The best bit of advice I can give is not to rush into things. That'll save you some frustration.

Top Bottom