• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

winnarps

MarkMclovin said:
So one of those jumping players meets me on highrise, jumps in front of me I shoot him and the motherfucker dies and falls over the edge of the building!

That, my friends is payback to all you jumpers out there. You can now carry on.

Assisted suicide kills are extremely satisfying.

Freedom = $1.05 said:
It's hard to be competitive until you reach the mid 20's so don't be discouraged if you have 2-15 matches. Learn the maps, try following people at much higher levels, & don't ignore the killcam until you are really aware of your surroundings. Try to use silenced weapons as they'll help keep you off some radars & have Care Packages equiped w/ hardline, as getting killstreaks early on can be harder than you'd think. This will let you enjoy most killstreaks before you can unlock them, thus helping you make some choices when you can finally unlock them.

The best bit of advice I can give is not to rush into things. That'll save you some frustration.

This is my biggest problem. I'm trying to discipline myself to actually watch the killcam. Not just to know where they are, but to learn strategies as well.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
MarkMclovin said:
So one of those jumping players meets me on highrise, jumps in front of me I shoot him and the motherfucker dies and falls over the edge of the building!

That, my friends is payback to all you jumpers out there. You can now carry on.

Jumping players? You mean players who jump all the time? Is there something wrong with that? I don't do it, I'm just curious.

TheKurgan

Freedom = $1.05 said:
It's hard to be competitive until you reach the mid 20's so don't be discouraged if you have 2-15 matches. Learn the maps, try following people at much higher levels, & don't ignore the killcam until you are really aware of your surroundings. Try to use silenced weapons as they'll help keep you off some radars & have Care Packages equiped w/ hardline, as getting killstreaks early on can be harder than you'd think. This will let you enjoy most killstreaks before you can unlock them, thus helping you make some choices when you can finally unlock them.

The best bit of advice I can give is not to rush into things. That'll save you some frustration.

Thanks for the reply. It has probably been at least a year since I played a COD4 multi so I was expecting a lot of 2-15 matches out of the gate. At my best I am an average 1 to 1 kill ratio player.

What is the best gun at lower levels?

GuardianE said:
Jumping players? You mean players who jump all the time? Is there something wrong with that? I don't do it, I'm just curious.
It's pretty hard to do that kind of thing in COD because you lose a lot of momentum if you jump to much.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
daw840 said:
Just annoying. This is NOT Halo people.

I mean, I figure it would really just make you a giant target. I fully endorse the other team jumping. :lol

Do you guys think we'll ever see a Callsign list? Considering how many factors are involved in multiplayer, and there's no real setting to test this sort of thing out in a stable environment, it'd be difficult to assess the requirements unless Infinity Ward told them to us.

Briefly played MP today, after saying I'd never touch it.

-There is no match making. I was going against level 60+ people off the bat in team DM. Highly unfair getting killed by thermal scopes at level 4.

-Maps are okay. I played a snow map and Quarry. They are better than WAW, at least.

-You die in 2 bullets and the gunplay is not very challenging. Are you suprised that there's camping?

andycapps

daw840 said:

I had someone pull the old Socom trick of sprinting around a corner at me, jumping and shooting me with his pistol as he immediately fell prone. Hadn't seen that one in a while so it worked on me. :lol And yeah, jumping is freaking annoying. That and campers. I could camp all day long and have a high KD ratio like them, but it's just not fun to sit there. The game is meant to be done running and gunning, IMO, unless you're a sniper (not nearly as many of them as in COD4, yet).

Also, about the assisted suicide, had an awesome one of those yesterday. Used the auto shotty yesterday (forgot the name) on someone and got 1 hit on them and then they jumped off a ledge and died. So awesome.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
palpabl_purpura said:

-There is no match making. I was going against level 60+ people off the bat in team DM. Highly unfair getting killed by thermal scopes at level 4.

-Maps are okay. I played a snow map and Quarry. They are better than WAW, at least.

-You die in 2 bullets and the gunplay is not very challenging. Are you suprised that there's camping?

There is matchmaking. The problem is when good players are partied with crappy players. It sort of throws the matching off. The actual level doesn't really matter. MW2 uses the TrueSkill rating to actually match people up (on the 360 at least). It's a hidden leveling system that assesses your actual skill at the game versus how much time you've spent playing... (debuted in Halo 2, I believe).

GuardianE said:
There is matchmaking. The problem is when good players are partied with crappy players. It sort of throws the matching off. The actual level doesn't really matter. MW2 uses the TrueSkill rating to actually match people up (on the 360 at least). It's a hidden leveling system that assesses your actual skill at the game versus how much time you've spent playing... (debuted in Halo 2, I believe).

That is not matchmaking. When people are killing you with weapons, perks and attachments that you don't have access to, it's a broken system. There is NO matchmaking in this game whatsoever.

andycapps

palpabl_purpura said:
That is not matchmaking. When people are killing you with weapons, perks and attachments that you don't have access to, it's a broken system. There is NO matchmaking in this game whatsoever.

There is matchmaking, you may not like how it works.. But it tries to match people of equal rank, which also correlates to perks and weapons.

But you don't need any of that stuff.. What do you think people that prestige do when they get thrown in a 50-70's match?
imo thermal is a wank attachment and only found minor use for it on wasteland.

palpabl_purpura said:

That's how the system works. You won't be matched with people of the same level, because their level is not necessarily an indication of skill. You'll be matched based on TruSkill (of course, that may or may not be accurate either, but that's another discussion). Any yahoo can get up to level 70 with enough time, no matter how bad they are at the game. So quit bitching and level up your guns, or stop playing.

winnarps

Re: matchmaking-

I've noticed that if I play by myself, it will match me up against other players around my level (currently the 40-50 range).

However, if I jump into a game with my casual friends (who are around 15-30), it seems to downrank me and match us with players in that same range, with an occasional 50+.

Then, if I'm playing with my hardcore friends (who are near 70), I'll be thrown into games with higher ranked players, and even a few that have prestiged.

So it seems purely based on XP level when playing solo, and then an averaged XP level when grouped up.

bud

what's the difference between the holographic vision and the red dot sight? i couldn't really notice a difference when using the scar-h rifle (only level 16 here lol).

skidrow's awesome. all the action seems to take place in the green light area haha.

andycapps

So this is a question for MW2 PS3 owners.. I can join people's parties fine, no issues. However, when I send out a part invite to a friend, they say they get a message cannot connect to server. I'm using an ethernet connection and it says my NAT type is open on that front multiplayer page. Is anyone else having this issue?

I'm thinking they're not in the multiplayer area when accepting my invite and that it's some form of user error on their end. I don't see why they wouldn't be able to connect to me.

Graf Nudu said:
How can you kill a guy with the shield at all? I know, attack from the back, but when he confronts you?

Grenade or flash bang and run around behind him while he's stunned and can't move. Or run around the building and shoot him from behind. :lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So is there a reason that after ~10 - 15 minutes playing the campaign the game spazzes the fuck out, the fps drop to ~2, and the screen begins to flash, even when in the main menu?

Because it's the only game on my PC to do it and, quite frankly, it's fucking annoying.

The Chef

Man I am terrible at this game.

For a while I was using a SCAR with ACOG scope and silencer. I thought this was a pretty ideal setup but I noticed that it takes quite a few hits to take someone out. Rarely am I able to take someone down as they are running through an area.
So I ended up trying the SCAR with bullet penetration but man I must just be really horrible at this game. Its feels like there is just so much recoil on that gun that I cant aim very well. And when I try and burst fire I typically just get owned.
Maybe I need to switch to more of a light machine gun or something.

Lastly, what does everyone have their sensitivity set at? I put mine a little above "High" but I found it was pretty difficult to aim precisely at a far off target so I switched back to Normal.

bud

The Chef said:

For a while I was using a SCAR with ACOG scope and silencer. I thought this was a pretty ideal setup but I noticed that it takes quite a few hits to take someone out. Rarely am I able to take someone down as they are running through an area.
So I ended up trying the SCAR with bullet penetration but man I must just be really horrible at this game. Its feels like there is just so much recoil on that gun that I cant aim very well. And when I try and burst fire I typically just get owned.

i'm having a lot of fun with pp-2000 as my secondary weapon.

Graf Nudu said:
How can you kill a guy with the shield at all? I know, attack from the back, but when he confronts you?
If he gets up close and confronts you, try to get to his side and knife him.

winnarps said:
Re: matchmaking-
rest of post
My only complaint with matchmaking right now (and it was the same for CoD4) is that sometimes it puts me into games that are halfway finished, are just about to end, or have just ended.

Hyunkel6

The Chef said:

The SCAR's recoil was also unbearable for me. I could barely get any kills with it. Some people swear by it though. Try switching to the M4A1 or the TAR. They are much more stable.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Hyunkel6 said:
The SCAR's recoil was also unbearable for me. I could barely get any kills with it. Some people swear by it though. Try switching to the M4A1 or the TAR. They are much more stable.
I don't even notice the recoil on the SCAR; I love that gun. Maybe it's because I've played plenty of games where the recoil is much more substantial across the board. In COD, as always, it's very manageable.

I use the TAR occasionally but I don't like it as much. It doesn't feel as powerful.

The Chef

Hyunkel6 said:

Ill definitely give those a shot.

vatstep said:
I don't even notice the recoil on the SCAR; I love that gun. Maybe it's because I've played plenty of games where the recoil is much more substantial across the board. In COD, as always, it's very manageable.

So do you do burst fire with it?

daw840

Hyunkel6 said:

Haven't had too much of a problem with recoil on the SCAR-H, I have nearly maxed out it's kills as of now.

winnarps

Dax01 said:
My only complaint with matchmaking right now (and it was the same for CoD4) is that sometimes it puts me into games that are halfway finished, are just about to end, or have just ended.

That happened to me quite a bit in COD4, but has yet to happen with MW2.

Although, we once were up by 100 points in Domination and had the entire enemy team quit out. They were replaced, but then the replacements quit. This repeated itself a few times until we won the match. The last half of that game was pretty boring.

bud said:
what's the difference between the holographic vision and the red dot sight? i couldn't really notice a difference when using the scar-h rifle (only level 16 here lol).

skidrow's awesome. all the action seems to take place in the green light area haha.

This was discussed a few pages back, but to sum it up, not much difference.

andycapps said:
I had someone pull the old Socom trick of sprinting around a corner at me, jumping and shooting me with his pistol as he immediately fell prone. Hadn't seen that one in a while so it worked on me. :lol

:lol That's the first thing I'm doing when I play later.

Spec Ops definitely makes up for the easier Veteran difficulty. We found this out the hard way after having to do Wetwork multiple times after fucking up the last breach.

Jayge said:
Pchat killed a lot of that in almost every game on the service now. I've missed it.
Yeah, party chat is kinda counter-friend-making. I wouldn't know the guys I play MW with if there'd been party chat available in COD4.

Quite a few times I will be in a group with my friend and then all of a sudden we are thrown into completely different games or one of us fails to connect to the game.

MaxSteel

palpabl_purpura said:

bitch bitch bitch

i like that there's a reward for those who have put more time into the game.

and yeah, you start off with minimal stuff, but you level up very quickly, and then you're good to go. after an hour of playing you'll have unlocked plenty of adequate weaponry.

daw840 said:
Haven't had too much of a problem with recoil on the SCAR-H, I have nearly maxed out it's kills as of now.
SCAR is easily the best early weapon of the game. Think I stoppped using it at 1,000 kills. I miss it.

daw840 said:

I agree. It doesnt work the same way anyway and its not effective at all. In a game like CS youre never penalized for constant one right after another jumping. In COD, you try to jump constantly and after that first jump you hardly lift off the ground anymore. :lol

Lionheart1827 said:
I agree. It doesnt work the same way anyway and its not effective at all. In a game like CS youre never penalized for constant one right after another jumping. In COD, you try to jump constantly and after that first jump you hardly lift off the ground anymore. :lol

It's funny to see the jumpers 'cause they're totally Halo transplants. In COD4 I used to LOVE killing Halo jumpers. I think you see progressively less and less because they realize this game is something completely alien to them. And I'm happy to see them off.

DeuceMojo said:
It's funny to see the jumpers 'cause they're totally Halo transplants. In COD4 I used to LOVE killing Halo jumpers. I think you see progressively less and less because they realize this game is something completely alien to them. And I'm happy to see them off.

Ha, I've never seen this on the PS3 but can only imagine how ridiculous it looks :lol

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
People don't even jump around that much in Halo, either. I never really see it when play anymore, at least.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The Chef said:
Ill definitely give those a shot.

So do you do burst fire with it?

I use the SCAR as my primary. I've dabbled with the FAL (an equivalent semi-auto) and eventually went back to the SCAR after leveling up the FAL. I hardly notice the recoil on the SCAR because I burst fire. With burst fire, you can snipe with the thing, red dot, no problem. It's very powerful and very accurate. Then again, I also have Stopping Power equipped.

DeuceMojo said:
SCAR is easily the best early weapon of the game. Think I stoppped using it at 1,000 kills. I miss it.

Why did you stop using it?

Az

Oh so that's where that whole jumping is comming from. I always asked myself wtf those people are doing. Go ahead jump, fly, dive there is no getting away.

andycapps

hypostatic said:
:lol That's the first thing I'm doing when I play later.

Haha do it. I assume it'd be really good with a machine pistol as well. And no, I'm not encouraging this tactic, I think it's ridiculous. :lol

The Chef

GuardianE said:
I use the SCAR as my primary. I've dabbled with the FAL (an equivalent semi-auto) and eventually went back to the SCAR after leveling up the FAL. I hardly notice the recoil on the SCAR because I burst fire. With burst fire, you can snipe with the thing, red dot, no problem. It's very powerful and very accurate. Then again, I also have Stopping Power equipped.

I think I'll stick with it and try messing with burst fire some more.

Is the bullet penetration add on worth it?

Just got 8 Tactical Nukes yesterday. Never thought I'd even put it on my loadout, but my friend convinced me when he popped my nuke cherry in game.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
andycapps said:
There is matchmaking, you may not like how it works.. But it tries to match people of equal rank, which also correlates to perks and weapons.

Yeah, I am level 16 and matched with level 30-somethings often. The thing is that you can get to level 30 or 40 by grinding all day , everyday and sucking every game.

Top Bottom