• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

careful

GodofWine said:
That would be interesting, yet still totally vague....

I think I need to play with my alternate account in a private room and try to figure this out. I just cannot imagine an UMP being more powerful in terms of damage than any LMG.

Infinity ward needs to explain their gun ratings (though I fear this was done by pulling cards from a deck and scribbling on napkins.)
I'm assuming it's the same as COD4. Damage values are the same across any weapon class (30 damage SMG is same 30 damage for LMG). The damage over distance is different.
I'm still looking for a chart like this for MW2:
weaponchart.jpg

Kordos

careful said:
I'm assuming it's the same as COD4. Damage values are the same across any weapon class (30 damage SMG is same 30 damage for LMG). The damage over distance is different.
I'm still looking for a chart like this for MW2:

The guy behind that research is DenKirson.

Apparently the equivalent data files in MW2 are encrypted. There's a grassroots effort at http://denkirson.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general to do lots of testing to derive the same list.

GAF, please be nice to that forum. Don't post unless you're going to contribute to the research.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
slunk2zero said:
anybody else been experiencing shocking LAG on PS3 in the past few days? Every game ive played everybody has had 1 red bar, its most definitely not my connection as ive checked it out already.

Its becoming rather annoying!

Yup, but on 360. I posted yesterday. It was basically unplayable for me. I dunno what's up. Rooms weren't filling up (I played one match on Favela with 2 dudes on the other team), took forever to find a game, and when I did find a game it was laggy as hell.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
ShadyMilkman said:
And damn, the SCAR is the shit. I've given up on the M4 entirely as a result.

Indeed, though you almost always have to use scavenger because of how quick it runs out of ammo.

After 33hrs of MW2 in just over a week, my 360 has died.

FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Somebody donate me the PS3 version? I can't justify buying it again for my PS3 just for 2/3 weeks worth of play... :(

Foliorum Viridum said:

Somebody donate me the PS3 version? I can't justify buying it again for my PS3 just for 2/3 weeks worth of play... :(

This is why I never buy multi-plats on 360 anymore. 4 dead 360's and Microsoft has earned my distrust and lack of support.

I know my PS3 is more reliable, but the controller is infinitely better for FPS on the 360 and it's where I have the biggest friends list. In other words, only one of my friends has a PS3. :lol Plus achievements. -_-

Bah. Going cold turkey on the game is going to be a test of my character.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Foliorum Viridum said:

:lol Same thing happened to me a couple days ago :(.

Just a few more days until I get my 360 back.

VASPER

Banned
GodofWine said:
That would be interesting, yet still totally vague....

I think I need to play with my alternate account in a private room and try to figure this out. I just cannot imagine an UMP being more powerful in terms of damage than any LMG.

Infinity ward needs to explain their gun ratings (though I fear this was done by pulling cards from a deck and scribbling on napkins.)

I'm pretty sure that's how it worked in COD4 so I'm just assuming.

Yeef

Arjen said:
I suprised that i always seem to be the only one to shoot Heli's and Planes out of the sky with the stinger.
Not that i'm complaining, easy points for me.
Shot an Harrier and and heli down with one rocket today, it was a glorious sight :D
I have the opposite problem, I've been trying to get Ninja Pro, but I'd say about 60% of the time someone else shoots down killstreak rewards before I can. The only exception is the UAV's. I seem to be the only one that bothers to shoot those down.

minx

DevelopmentArrested said:
I have no problem with campers. In fact, it makes the MP game more intense in some ways. What I do have a fucking problem with is this:

A sniper is lying prone looking at an alley shoots and kills me. What happens next? I literally respawn in the exact same spot I died five seconds later, only to die again. No tactical insertion was planted, fyi. The game's spawns are fucking obnoxious and need to be remedied.

I can safely say that MW2 has one of the worst spawn systems in any game I have ever played. Much worse than COD4. I can't count the numerous times that I have killed an enemy only for him to spawn 10 feet behind me. I also can't count the number of times I have been killed and then spawned exactly in the same spot, right in the enemy's crosshairs. Bullshit.

Kweh

Anyone know what the music track is called when
you're running through the abandoned airfield with Shephard and Makalov's men fighting each other?

DMeisterJ

Banned
I love my handgun. Just unlocked the tactical knife :)

<3 this game.

I don't think I'm going to prestige though. I surely do not want to spend all this time I did on the game only to go back to level one.

lol @ this dude was bitching about maps, care packages, death streaks etc.....so I tell him to stop playing and he goes on a rant that he doesn't hate the game..........and hes level 70.......good work buddy

DMeisterJ said:
I love my handgun. Just unlocked the tactical knife :)

<3 this game.

I don't think I'm going to prestige though. I surely do not want to spend all this time I did on the game only to go back to level one.
I've thought about this... I have more work and more children since the last time I tried prestige mode, but it's calling me. I don't care, I'll make to level 770. :D

I'm amazed by how balanced this game is, considering all the extra stuff Infinity Ward put into it. I thought the killstreaks would be too overpowered, but that doesn't seem to be the case. And when I first heard that Stopping Power was returning I was disappointed. Thankfully, however, Stopping Power seems to draw the attention away from Cold-Blooded, the far superior tier-2 perk. If Stopping Power wasn't in MW2, I could envision entire teams using Cold-Blooded.

And in the beginning of "No Russian," you are either in the tallest airport ever built or you are riding in the world's slowest elevator.

bdouble

Just had an amazing session. Just playing merd TDM and some really good games. The only time it sucks is when a bunch of people leave and its like 5 on 2. Anyways just unlocked the Fal. Paired with the Rafici (sp) and stopping power makes such a sweet combo.

Really find this game so much more balanced than CoD4. Lock on missles make everything but the AC130 pretty much fodder. Taking me a long time to get Cold Blooded pro as well because everyone keeps shooting these things. Its too easly almost ot just switch classes once you die to a stinger.

DMeisterJ

Banned
RE: Campers.

My problem with campers is not that they rack up kills, cause I just use the killcam and kill them. My problem is their camping fucks the flow of the game up. You're on levels where it's 6v6, but you see no one, so you get to either A) sit around and wait for them to uncamp, which doesn't happen or B) go and find them, but get killed in the process, thus killing the killstreak you were on.

And god forbid you have two teams of campers fighting each other. It's boring as fuck.

I sure as hell didn't buy a game about war to sit around and hide behind bushes the whole game. And even trying it is not for me. It's an easy way to get kills, but at that point, you turn the game from 'fun' to a chore. Why would I play the multi-player portion of the game a way to easily rack up kills? Why play something if you're not going to enjoy it? Especially if there are no online achievements or trophies, I don't understand turning the MP into something where you're camping for easy kills. Takes all the fun out of leveling up and shit. I could camp and get easy kills, but every time I leveled up would be boring, and hold no weight because I didn't try to do anything. Same thing with cheating on tests in real life. Getting away with doing something the easy way is well, easy, but it doesn't feel as good to earn something the hard way. Lots of campers would have a greater appreciation for the game if they worked hard for the kills and didn't view it as a means to an end. :/

DigiMish

DMeisterJ said:

My problem with campers is not that they rack up kills, cause I just use the killcam and kill them. My problem is their camping fucks the flow of the game up. You're on levels where it's 6v6, but you see no one, so you get to either A) sit around and wait for them to uncamp, which doesn't happen or B) go and find them, but get killed in the process, thus killing the killstreak you were on.

And god forbid you have two teams of campers fighting each other. It's boring as fuck.

I sure as hell didn't buy a game about war to sit around and hide behind bushes the whole game. And even trying it is not for me. It's an easy way to get kills, but at that point, you turn the game from 'fun' to a chore. Why would I play the multi-player portion of the game a way to easily rack up kills? Why play something if you're not going to enjoy it? Especially if there are no online achievements or trophies, I don't understand turning the MP into something where you're camping for easy kills. Takes all the fun out of leveling up and shit. I could camp and get easy kills, but every time I leveled up would be boring, and hold no weight because I didn't try to do anything. Same thing with cheating on tests in real life. Getting away with doing something the easy way is well, easy, but it doesn't feel as good to earn something the hard way. Lots of campers would have a greater appreciation for the game if they worked hard for the kills and didn't view it as a means to an end. :/

Different strokes for different folks.

UFRA

Jack Scofield said:
And in the beginning of "No Russian," you are either in the tallest airport ever built or you are riding in the world's slowest elevator.

Or you started from the basement level of the parking garage...

jiien

DevelopmentArrested said:
I can't understand how a rational human being would pick the SCAR over the ACR. The ACR is better in basically every way.

Would you mind explaining why? Not being argumentative, but I'm very curious. I have played both extensively, and the ACR seems much weaker in comparison. I tend to blow through ammo even quicker with the ACR than the SCAR (and I am by no means a spray and pray guy, I'm ranked within the top 50k when it comes to accuracy), because it just takes so much more bullets to take someone down. Yeah, it has a higher fire rate, but in my experience, the SCAR just kills faster.

How do you use it, and why do you think it's better than the SCAR in every way?

Edit: I personally think the ACR looks better than the SCAR (yeah, I like to pick weapons based on how cool they look to me...>.>), and it's not like I don't use the ACR at all. In fact, I use the M4, SCAR, and ACR depending on my mood, since they all pretty play exactly the same as far as my play style goes.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
DMeisterJ said:

Yeah i agree. Sometimes it can be shitty, i played some games yesterday where no one was killed for over 2minutes, except me... until i waited with everyone.

DMeisterJ said:

So you don't like campers because they don't let you camp and go on killstreaks? :lol

I think everyone needs to relax about campers, a lot of times you think someone is camping they are just guarding a good chokepoint or making a line of sight to work with their team in some way.

The killcam pretty much eliminates not knowing where you were killed from so its not like they can get to some unfair spot out of the map and camp, you can always shoot them back quicker you know.

jiien

DMeisterJ said:

Yes, so much yes. If I leave a game because the other team is camping, it's not because of the dumb kills they get (they tend to not be winning, actually). It's because the match is boring as fuck. You go the first three minutes just trying to find people, and when you finally find all six of them huddled in the same house/bunker, and successfully clear them (you will die the first time, I mean, who expects to run into SIX fucking douches looking at the same door), they just go somewhere else, and then you spend another three minutes carefully looking into corners for the six of them again. Booooooring.

When that happens, my friends and I just leave. Not wasting my time running around doing nothing. Maybe it gives the impression to the campers that they're good, so I'm adding to the problem :p

Lots of campers would have a greater appreciation for the game if they worked hard for the kills and didn't view it as a means to an end. :/

Very well said. Without those 'FUCK YEAH' moments, I don't see the point in playing this game.

DMeisterJ said:

Winning is fun. If you run around like a chicken sans head, you're going to get mowed down by either a player or the armada of aircraft hovering over your head.

I think people play CoD like Halo at first, running directly at each other. The weapons are so deadly efficient that it would be foolish to get too close. I spend half of my time crouched down slowly moving from cover to cover. I think Killcam eliminates sitting in one place, unless someone is too afraid to hunt you down. :p

The only bullshit in MW2 are the care packages. I love getting a helicopter strike for free. Shit's worse than Mario Kart. Though I must say, stealing a care package from another player (or using your own as bait) is the best feeling in the game.

Pankaks said:
Indeed, though you almost always have to use scavenger because of how quick it runs out of ammo.

Yeah... albeit I've been doing S&D only lately so it hasn't been a problem, but yeah, otherwise, I have to use Scavenger.

dralla

DMeisterJ said:
Have you ever played a CoD before? CoD is camping, that's how you win. Find some good spots, move between them so you don't get to predictable, pick people off. If you're looking for a game of skill you're playing the wrong game

Pancakes

HooCares said:
You start with it. It's a blue perk.

No you don't.

# Marathon (default)
# Sleight of Hand (default)
# Scavenger (lvl 13)
# Bling (lvl 21)
# One Man Army (lvl 45)

Fugu

jiien said:
Would you mind explaining why? Not being argumentative, but I'm very curious. I have played both extensively, and the ACR seems much weaker in comparison. I tend to blow through ammo even quicker with the ACR than the SCAR (and I am by no means a spray and pray guy, I'm ranked within the top 50k when it comes to accuracy), because it just takes so much more bullets to take someone down. Yeah, it has a higher fire rate, but in my experience, the SCAR just kills faster.

How do you use it, and why do you think it's better than the SCAR in every way?

Edit: I personally think the ACR looks better than the SCAR (yeah, I like to pick weapons based on how cool they look to me...>.>), and it's not like I don't use the ACR at all. In fact, I use the M4, SCAR, and ACR depending on my mood, since they all pretty play exactly the same as far as my play style goes.
Try it with the ACOG. The ACR with the ACOG has no sway for some reason and it makes it an accuracy monster. The damage is only slightly less.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
minx88 said:
I can safely say that MW2 has one of the worst spawn systems in any game I have ever played. Much worse than COD4. I can't count the numerous times that I have killed an enemy only for him to spawn 10 feet behind me. I also can't count the number of times I have been killed and then spawned exactly in the same spot, right in the enemy's crosshairs. Bullshit.

Agreed, whatever algorithm they're running for the spawning must have a variable or a digit wrong. Enemy respawns account for around 50% of my deaths, shit is totally wack. Replace it with COD4, it's much better.

dralla said:
Have you ever played a CoD before? CoD is camping, that's how you win. Find some good spots, move between them so you don't get to predictable, pick people off. If you're looking for a game of skill you're playing the wrong game
What game does take skill, if you don't mind me asking.

Because I regularly get my ass kicked in MW2, "camping" or not.

jiien

Fugu said:
Try it with the ACOG. The ACR with the ACOG has no sway for some reason and it makes it an accuracy monster. The damage is only slightly less.

I tend to use my guns sightless, and the reason I don't use the M16 is because I personally feel the M16 is an awesome AR, but a horrible makeshift SMG (whereas, the fully auto ARs can manage close range combat, for obvious reasons). What I mean is, my play style is usually a mid/close range game (though I do end up getting a bunch of long shots anyway), so I rarely use the ACOG. I guess I'll give it a go tonight, and see what's up. Thanks.

dralla said:

Dumb, this game requires skill, pros will always do better than you at this game. Their aim will be faster and more accurate and their awareness will make it so you don't stand a chance. Especially when they are with their team.

Go check out the MLG recap games from Anaheim.

Fugu

Epic Tier 3 Engineer said:
What game does take skill, if you don't mind me asking.

Because I regularly get my ass kicked in MW2, "camping" or not.
I don't know what platform you guys are playing this on, but I play on PC and I frequently top the leaderboards (I would say I finish first three-quarters of the time at least; my profile ratio is just above 2:1) and I never camp. In fact, I've gotten the accolade for most time spent sprinting in nearly every game I've played. This game is about exploiting people's reactions, not about specifically camping; while camping is one way to accomplish this, another way (the method I employ) is to spring around like a motherfucker and exploit the fact that campers are rarely, if ever, prepared to face a challenge placed directly in front of them. If you can learn to win direct, head-on firefights, MW2 can quickly become your bitch, which is why many people describe it as a game that doesn't require a lot of skill. It's not true (as a good player versus a good player still makes for an interesting match) but that's where it comes from.

Hyunkel6

What are the requirements for unlocking the tactical knife? I want to try the commando build that everyone is talking as soon as I get home. :D

.nimrod

dralla said:

wat?

cod4 is arcadey, fast and the opposite of camping Ô_o

tsigo

Hyunkel6 said:
What are the requirements for unlocking the tactical knife? I want to try the commando build that everyone is talking as soon as I get home. :D

For the USP .45 it was 75 kills with the gun. Might be the same for all of the pistols, I'm not sure.

jiien

Hyunkel6 said:

You need a crapload of kills with your pistol of choice. I think. Which, IMO, is a rough journey. Good luck! (I know the end result is definitely worth it!)

Edit: Beaten. But yeah, I believe it is the same for all pistols.

/fuel on fire

Old quote

I'll borrow a bit of Ayn Rand philosophy from Atlas Shrugged, I imagine many of us are familiar with it now.

"Never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

By camping, you are demanding that other players make the game fun for you. If everyone was to camp, obviously everyone would sit in their place, kill no one, and nothing would happen until the timer ran out. Camping requires a sacrifice on the part of your victims to willingly go along with your strategy to make it work. This is why people don't like campers, because you contribute nothing while expecting others around you to support you. Essentially, you're a looter.

Ironically this requires the sanction of the victims to work. People wonder why people camp, but it is because they are willing to deal with it. Take away the victims and the campers are left with nothing.

One thing again, note that when someone complains about campers, that doesn't mean they run around all crazy like jumping up and down with no care for staying alive.

Also, obvious exception for objective gametypes.

I remember one CoD5 game that was particularly brutal. Took my PuG team almost 5 minutes to find them. Spent the match killing them when we could find them. They were terrible. Got their leet clan asses blown out of the water, but it was BORING AS FUCK. I only stayed so I could trash talk as much as possible after the match. Annoyance with campers doesn't mean you can't kill them. It's all about if you are contributing to 'the fun' or not. So yeah if your spending all your time looking for them and it's not fun, just leave and find another match in like 20 seconds. You don't owe them anything, no sense getting all wound up, just go play with the fun kids.

Hyunkel6

tsigo said:
For the USP .45 it was 75 kills with the gun. Might be the same for all of the pistols, I'm not sure.

jiien said:
You need a crapload of kills with your pistol of choice. I think. Which, IMO, is a rough journey. Good luck! (I know the end result is definitely worth it!)

Thanks. But damn, 75 kills is a lot. I guess FFA on Rust is my best bet.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Just unlocked the Desert Eagle, holy shit it's way more inaccurate than I remember it being in CoD4.

need 100 kills for the tactical knife

divisionbyzorro said:
That's how long it took them to unlock Cold Blooded and the Stinger. With those, Harriers and copters are just free XP for me. I'm predicting an uptick in Stealth Bomber/EMP usage as the community adjusts to the shift against powerful air support. As it is, Predator Missiles and Sentry Guns tend to give more kills than Chopper Gunners these days.

Sentry Guns are worthless if you have ColdBlooded Pro on since it doesn't target you or shoot at you. You can walk right up to the front of it and knife it to disable it.

Yeef said:
I have the opposite problem, I've been trying to get Ninja Pro, but I'd say about 60% of the time someone else shoots down killstreak rewards before I can. The only exception is the UAV's. I seem to be the only one that bothers to shoot those down.

As I said before, my friends and I fight over who gets to shoot them down first to the point where it's turned into a little game for us. I shoot down the UAV everytime I see it but I play Hardcore all the time where UAV can really help the other team. Not so much with TDM.

DMeisterJ said:

I got my 55 gold cross in COD4 but for MW2, I may do it once just to see what it's like but I more than likely won't go past that.

Top Bottom