• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
dollartaco said:
It's only a stupid way to play if you die a lot. If you get a lot of kills in the same spot, then it's a pretty fucking smart way to play.

You're obviously defensive, so you're obviously a camper. That's fine if you enjoy it and rack up kills. You just look like a boring player who is amused by snatching up no skill kills.

GodofWine

Hey, random question....for anyone who knows...the 'stat bars' for the guns, lets say a Assault Rifle, A LMG, and a pistol had the same amount of 'damage bar' filled in, does that mean they are equal?? or does the LMG still do more damage?

and how much faster does lightweight make you? like same as sprinting?

GuardianE said:
You're obviously defensive, so you're obviously a camper. That's fine if you enjoy it and rack up kills. You just look like a boring player who is amused by snatching up no skill kills.

Cool, so I present an argument and you go ad hominem. I'm not the one who is butt hurt over people without skill killing my sorry ass.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
GodofWine said:
Hey, random question....for anyone who knows...the 'stat bars' for the guns, lets say a Assault Rifle, A LMG, and a pistol had the same amount of 'damage bar' filled in, does that mean they are equal?? or does the LMG still do more damage?

It's not really clear, but the damage meter seems to apply to a per bullet basis. Each bullet does the damage listed in the bar, presumably. Though some have stated that the stats lie. Dunno how much truth there is to that, and I haven't really seen extensive testing that compares the guns.

Lightweight increases all of your movement speed, so your running speed and sprinting speed are both increased.

andycapps

dollartaco said:
It's only a stupid way to play if you die a lot. If you get a lot of kills in the same spot, then it's a pretty fucking smart way to play.

Well it can work if you're fairly decent at it when you're playing against people that don't know how to combat campers. I've gotten frustrated at it a few times.. usually the people that are decent at camping though will move on from their spot to a new spot so that I don't come get them though. Either way.. my approach is generally to move constantly and be checking my corners and across the distance, but when someone is lying down in tall grass and I'm walking along, it's impossible for me to see them.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
dollartaco said:
Cool, so I present an argument and you go ad hominem. I'm not the one who is butt hurt over people without skill killing my sorry ass.

You don't need to justify yourself to me and I sure as hell don't need to justify myself to you. You're being really defensive, which would seem to mean you have a stake in the argument. Everyone automatically assumes I get killed by campers left and right. I don't. But I still don't like campers.

What the fuck is wrong with not liking campers, even when I'm killing them. I don't get why the camping defense force is on my ass about an opinion.

EDIT: and I don't see any argument made. At all. At least no counter argument. I stated that camping is a lame way to play, which is entirely subjective. You're saying it's a legitimate strategy. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

GuardianE said:
You don't need to justify yourself to me and I sure as hell don't need to justify myself to you. You're being really defensive, which would seem to mean you have a stake in the argument. Everyone automatically assumes I get killed by campers left and right. I don't. But I still don't like campers.

What the fuck is wrong with not liking campers, even when I'm killing them. I don't get why the camping defense force is on my ass about an opinion.

tiniest little violin, bro.

MaxSteel

dollartaco said:
What else are you going to be aiming at? The ceiling?

There's nothing lame about setting a trap and letting retards walk into it over and over. I kill campers all the time who are hurting their team more than helping -- those are the ones you should be critical of.

agreed. it's not cheap. it's not like you're setting up and killing them when they spawn. it's an advantage of knowing the map well.

i don't play like that really because

a. i don't find it particularly fun, and
b. it's not as easy as some might make it out to be

but there are times when i'll plop down in a corner and just try to grab 5 or 6 kills in a row by aiming at a doorway, sure. not cheap - especially not when there are killcams.

.nimrod said:
so you're saying hiding in the corner of a room aiming for the only door isn't kinda lame and cheap but a tactical better position?

In objective-based games, this sort of thing is essential and a totally valid strategy.

GuardianE said:

dickwad-theory.jpg

d0c_zaius

so this is just another "throws are cheap and lame and lack skill" but instead of SF2 is MW2

if people don't know how to properly clear/ enter a room, dont know how to use a killcam, or cant get to me fast after dieing even with the retardedly fast respawn time (and close location respawning).....that to me sounds like a lack of awareness more than anything else.

EDIT: I agree with the point below about the respawn locations

I have no problem with campers. In fact, it makes the MP game more intense in some ways. What I do have a fucking problem with is this:

A sniper is lying prone looking at an alley shoots and kills me. What happens next? I literally respawn in the exact same spot I died five seconds later, only to die again. No tactical insertion was planted, fyi. The game's spawns are fucking obnoxious and need to be remedied.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
d0c_zaius said:
so this is just another "throws are cheap and lame and lack skill" but instead of SF2 is MW2

if people don't know how to properly clear/ enter a room, dont know how to use a killcam, or cant get to me fast after dieing even with the retardedly fast respawn time (and close location respawning).....that to me sounds like a lack of awareness more than anything else.

Campers are lame NOT because they're effective or because they can get kills (it can be highly effective and it also has grave disadvantages). They're lame because they don't move at all. It's just a boring style of play. That's my gripe.

I suppose the comparison is pretty accurate. You can't win in SF4 by tickthrowing all day unless you're playing someone shitty. Comparably, you can't win by camping all day in MW2 unless you're playing against a shitty team.

Point is, they're still both boring as fuck.

HooCares

Neo Member
d0c_zaius said:

Guys, Jesus.

He's not saying,

"campers keep killing me and I can't deal. It's cheap."

He's dealing with it, and killing them, but just complaining that's it not as fun fighting them.

I happen to agree (and I also jack campers plenty of times. God I love my knife).

What I find most fun about this game is battling over central points on the map. both teams advance, take up position, throw nades, flank, call in streaks, fighting for control over an area. Those are great gunbattles and are the purest fun to be had in this game for me.

.nimrod

divisionbyzorro said:
In objective-based games, this sort of thing is essential and a totally valid strategy.[...]

i totally agree, but even in TDM where the objective is to hunt the other team down, lots of people are sitting in a corner waiting for an enemy to pass by.
and there's nothing more annoying in TDM than having to search the other team. there were times where i literally had to look under every stick and stone to find an enemy.
in complete silence. -.-

VASPER

Banned
GodofWine said:

I think the assault rifles are compared to each other not compared to all guns.
so each class(LMG,SMG,AR,ECT) has their own damage rating in comparison to the other weapons in their class.

LiveWire

d0c_zaius said:

/end of camping argument. Let's move on.

d0c_zaius

HooCares said:
Guys, Jesus.

He's not saying,

He's dealing with it, and killing them, but just complaining that's it not as fun fighting them.

I happen to agree (and I also jack campers plenty of times. God I love my knife).

What I find most fun about this game is battling over central points on the map. both teams advance, take up position, throw nades, flank, call in streaks, fighting for control over an area. Those are great gunbattles and are the purest fun to be had in this game for me.

Thats not what I said either.

Its the same in SF4. The game rewards/promotes running away tactics so much, its a pain to play a character I like that is dependent on chasing all the time. It's inherent to the design of the game though so I just deal or don't play SF4.

"Point is, they're still both boring as fuck."

Yup playing it safe usually is. Cant hate on people for doing it though, especially given the cluster-f feel of MP.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
HooCares said:
Guys, Jesus.

He's not saying,

I guess I'm just really shitty at explaining my point because this is what I mean. Apparently, though, anti-campers have become so demonized that as soon as the sentiment is sniffed out people assume it's the same old argument.

The weird thing about battling over central points on the map is that it's kinda like old school Call of Duty... you know, with the infinite enemy spawns until you advance far enough? Since your teammates always spawn near you (usually), and can spawn right away, you taking that central position requries you to advance on it. In my mind I'm thinking about the Estate map and how one team will occupy the house until the other team claims it, and they essentially switch sides.

mbmonk

d0c_zaius said:
if people don't know how to properly clear/ enter a room, dont know how to use a killcam,

Both of the above are valid, but I honestly wonder who truly follows the enter and clear rules/method when playing this game. Especially when it's a chaotic gametype like FFA or TDM and you aren't playing with a clan.

Again I think the enter/clear argument is valid, but I don't know how valid it really is.

Boss Man

If you're any good, camping will only slow you down and hurt your performance.

If you're bad, you can sacrifice fun (camping is boring...) to improve your k/d ratio a bit.

That's really all there is to it. Unless you find some amazing spot that lets you rack up ~30 kills a match, you're just taking advantage of the fact that most people don't want/need to sit in one spot for the entire match. You might kill some "retard" who runs through your door, but that same retard will just run somewhere else and get twice as many kills as you in the end.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Eric WK said:
How do you get that one?
You have to kill yourself and an enemy while holding/cooking a frag grenade. You'll only get the title if you're a 41 and have the Misery Loves Company challenge unlocked.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
mbmonk said:
Both of the above are valid, but I honestly wonder who truly follows the enter and clear rules/method when playing this game. Especially when it's a chaotic gametype like FFA or TDM and you aren't playing with a clan.

Again I think the enter/clear argument is valid, but I don't know how valid it really is.

I think he's talking more about entering a room while checking corners, possible elevated positions, and exposing yourself as little as possible. Actual tactics of clearing and covering each other as a team requires more coordination than I care to establish with my teammates.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
vatstep said:
You have to kill yourself and an enemy while holding/cooking a frag grenade. You'll only get the title if you're a 41 and have the Misery Loves Company challenge unlocked.

That's probably easiest to get on Rust FFA. Good to know. I like the <3 title.

GodofWine

VASPER said:
I think the assault rifles are compared to each other not compared to all guns.
so each class(LMG,SMG,AR,ECT) has their own damage rating in comparison to the other weapons in their class.

That would be interesting, yet still totally vague....

I think I need to play with my alternate account in a private room and try to figure this out. I just cannot imagine an UMP being more powerful in terms of damage than any LMG.

Infinity ward needs to explain their gun ratings (though I fear this was done by pulling cards from a deck and scribbling on napkins.)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
GodofWine said:
That would be interesting, yet still totally vague....

I think I need to play with my alternate account in a private room and try to figure this out. I just cannot imagine an UMP being more powerful in terms of damage than any LMG.

Infinity ward needs to explain their gun ratings (though I fear this was done by pulling cards from a deck and scribbling on napkins.)

The Call of Duty wikia has a sort of incomplete analysis of the guns. They've only done actual Hardcore and Regular match testing with a few of the guns, but it lists point values for those guns. Other entries have point values that are presumed, but untested.

The damage values, as VASPER mentioned, definitely seem to be in comparison to the other guns of the same class.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
GuardianE said:
That's probably easiest to get on Rust FFA. Good to know. I like the <3 title.
I tried to get it last night on Estate when I found THREE people sniping from the top of the waterfall (which is a terrible spot; it's so easy to flank them). I snuck up behind them and martyred myself, but when the title didn't unlock after the game, I realized it's because I don't have that challenge available yet.

d0c_zaius

GuardianE said:
I think he's talking more about entering a room while checking corners, possible elevated positions, and exposing yourself as little as possible. Actual tactics of clearing and covering each other as a team requires more coordination than I care to establish with my teammates.

Yup you are correct. Regular TDM is too crazy and unorganized to do it legit unless you have a dedicated group. Given how the game flows, it isnt really necessary and would probably only make a overwhelming win that much worse.

But time and time again Ive had people run through the center of a doorway and not even bother to check corners, rooftops, etc.

Im sure it will change in time. It took a couple of days for people to start using flash bangs instead of running into rooms blindly like its UT3, or even taking our air support instead of just bitching about it.

Jagernaut

OldJadedGamer said:
Thank you for saving me the time of typing the exact same thing.

First get some tissues to wipe your tears... then equip the Stinger and take down heli's before they even enter the battlefield. When I play, choppers and harriers don't stand a chance and are shot down within seconds.

This is a legitimate gripe. I'm level 23 and still haven't unlocked Cold Blooded yet. Shooting down air support without Cold Blooded is hard. You can die in seconds before you fire your rocket.

d0c_zaius said:
Im sure it will change in time. It took a couple of days for people to start using flash bangs instead of running into rooms blindly like its UT3, or even taking out air support instead of just bitching about it.

That's how long it took them to unlock Cold Blooded and the Stinger. With those, Harriers and copters are just free XP for me. I'm predicting an uptick in Stealth Bomber/EMP usage as the community adjusts to the shift against powerful air support. As it is, Predator Missiles and Sentry Guns tend to give more kills than Chopper Gunners these days.

anybody else been experiencing shocking LAG on PS3 in the past few days? Every game ive played everybody has had 1 red bar, its most definitely not my connection as ive checked it out already.

Its becoming rather annoying!

yodandy

Anyone have an game saves or a trainer i could download? i've googled but can find nothing, i played straight until like the 2nd to last mission tonight and start it up today and my saves are gone (pc version)

halp.

edit: nevermind, found one on gamecopyworld

Feel the Swift said:
Oh wow, don't you love stat whoring. This guy went 64-11 on Highrise Domination :lol . And we still won but it was an embarrasing win.

He was probably going for a nuke victory, and probably had a buddy helping watch his back. Good job pulling out the win regardless.

Kibbles

I wish they had hardcore FFA with no killcam. I would've had a tactical nuke in the spot I was at. :lol I died while using my chopper gunner. Shame.

PatzCU

saiftk said:
I'd just like to say the soundtrack of this game is spectacular. Hans Zimmer, great job sir.

I thought parts of it were great, like Gulag. Definitely some unique sounds/samples he created for the level. Actually, I think the Gulag track is used on the title screen.

Unfortunately, 90% of the score is re-hashed Hans Zimmer style, generic military music. But, in a game that is re-hashed, military style fun, it fits! The music is as much of a guilty pleasure as the gameplay.

PatzCU said:
I thought parts of it were great, like Gulag. Definitely some unique sounds/samples he created for the level. Actually, I think the Gulag track is used on the title screen.

Unfortunately, 90% of the score is re-hashed Hans Zimmer style, generic military music. But, in a game that is re-hashed, military style fun, it fits! The music is as much of a guilty pleasure as the gameplay.

The score for
No Russian
is absolutely incredible.

slunk2zero said:
anybody else been experiencing shocking LAG on PS3 in the past few days? Every game ive played everybody has had 1 red bar, its most definitely not my connection as ive checked it out already.

Its becoming rather annoying!

Every now and then, but not too much

Arjen

I suprised that i always seem to be the only one to shoot Heli's and Planes out of the sky with the stinger.
Not that i'm complaining, easy points for me.
Shot an Harrier and and heli down with one rocket today, it was a glorious sight :D

Top Bottom