• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

TheAzRim said:
I am a bit burned out from the MP, I don't know why. Haven't really played in a few days and don't have much desire to do so this weekend. Maybe I'll play if I can get a few good friends to join, but playing alone just sucks.

Probably because a huge chunk of the maps suck. The MP is screaming fun but some of the maps like derailed and wastelands are just poor design for a MP map.

LowParry

yes we can said:
Probably because a huge chunk of the maps suck. The MP is screaming fun but some of the maps like derailed and wastelands are just poor design for a MP map.

I liked Derailed when it works. Like hiding out in the forest-like area and watching people walk on by for an easy kill. Slowly progress forward because they'll keep on respawning in that warehouse or whatever and they'll come looking for ya in the same spot. It's like rage quitters coming back for more. ( I hope I'm talking about the right map. Snow map. )

GeeDuhb said:
Maybe this has already been discussed elsewhere...but I just had an idea. We should all use GAF as our clantags! It would be fun to randomly run into GAFers and actually know you were playing against them. Just an idea...

I like it, will change when i get home.

Eric WK said:
The... air. I'm not sure what tips you need. If you've seen one you can spot any of them.
Oh, shit, and here I've been thinking they were like some burrowing subterranean vehicle, like the Hippie Digger. I'll start looking upward. :lol

Insaniac said:
any team that is smart will have at least two people with stingers and air support goes down in a snap, except on levels like skidrow or karachi where it can be difficult to see the helicopter sometimes.

Most people don't communicate or perform any strategy outside of clans.

cameltoe

the lag was fucking brutal last night (360) Lets hope for better tonight or I swear to God I will just continue playing...... Take that IW!!!

winnarps

Some guy figured out a pretty nasty tactic on Estate last night.

Scavenger perk with Claymores hiding in the second floor of the house.

People kept yelling out 'why the fuck isn't he dead yet and why the hell are there a bajillion claymores planted up there?!?'

winnarps said:

People kept yelling out 'why the fuck isn't he dead yet and why the hell are there a bajillion claymores planted up there?!?'

Yeah when someone mentioned claymores and scavenger, I thought this house would be the place to do it. I'm surprised he didn't get his entire team in there, lovingly embraced by ten claymores each.

winnarps said:

I've been doing this. I had been ignoring scavenger perk until I decided to "level" it up for some challenge points then happily noticed that it also refills your grenades/claymores. I started having all sorts of fun with it after that.

winnarps said:

so scavenger re-arms equipment?!?! I had no idea.

Grenades? Flash bangs? all that good stuff?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I know it probably won't work forever, but the lightweight/marathon/commando build is still working in FFA. I have NEVER not finished in the top 3 using it, and most of the time I win outright.

I keep telling myself I'll stop when I complete the marathon and lightweight challenges... but I'm not sure I'll be able to :lol

It's too much fun running DIRECTLY at a dude, him seeing me and beginning to fire, and me lunging from several paces away for the kill, followed by "what the fuck?!?" in my mic. :lol

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
I've been doing this. I had been ignoring scavenger perk until I decided to "level" it up for some challenge points then happily noticed that it also refills your grenades/claymores. I started having all sorts of fun with it after that.
Is scavenger the same slot as Danger Close? Whoa. If not, you could see some pretty deadly house campers. Damn. Combine that with a blast shield for those odd grenade attacks. That sounds like a cottage industry there.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
GDJustin said:
I know it probably won't work forever, but the lightweight/marathon/commando build is still working in FFA. I have NEVER not finished in the top 3 using it, and most of the time I win outright.

I keep telling myself I'll stop when I complete the marathon and lightweight challenges... but I'm not sure I'll be able to :lol

It's too much fun running DIRECTLY at a dude, him seeing me and beginning to fire, and me lunging from several paces away for the kill, followed by "what the fuck?!?" in my mic. :lol

I'm going to be loving that class. Just need to get the Tac Knife. I imagine the Riot Shield would be a good complement, right? It doesn't slow you down and you get some protection from behind.

MrCompletely said:
so scavenger re-arms equipment?!?! I had no idea.

Grenades? Flash bangs? all that good stuff?

I didn't either until last night so I equipped scavenger and was reloading my Claymores left and right. I had two of them planted constantly and a third waiting when one of them blew up. Changed my opinion on Claymores totally.

Now my Hardcore load out is:

FAL silenced
Stinger
Claymores
Scavenger Pro
Cold Blooded Pro
Ninja Pro
Last Stand

This has been working so well for me and I seriously can't think of anything that will make me change it outside of changing up the gun.

GuardianE said:
I'm going to be loving that class. Just need to get the Tac Knife. I imagine the Riot Shield would be a good complement, right? It doesn't slow you down and you get some protection from behind.

It did seem to slow me down when I tried that.

GuardianE said:

Wrong, Riot Shield slows you to a crawl, its like carrying an LMG around. Use the SMG or the SNiper (sniper for the ghillie suit, or SMG for an oh shit time to spray moment) as they both have maximum mobility.

DeuceMojo said:
Is scavenger the same slot as Danger Close? Whoa. If not, you could see some pretty deadly house campers. Damn. Combine that with a blast shield for those odd grenade attacks. That sounds like a cottage industry there.
Scavenger is first slot, and Danger Close is second slot. I know this because I'm trying to Pro my Danger Close and my setup is Scavenger Pro(in order to get extra nades and thumper rounds), Danger Close, and Ninja Pro. I feel awful thumping people with the thumper, and can't wait until I'm finished with it, feels so cheap. :/

So the guy with the riot shield, scavenger, claymores -- possibly danger close -- ,and a shotgun for smartasses, could set claymores throughout that house and let his teammates take care of the long range kills from the relative safety of a booby-trapped HQ.

There really really should've been two houses on that map rather than making it Creek Pt. 2.

The Chef

DMeisterJ said:
I also just started using Scavenger Pro.

<3

That and my silenced ACR are helping me tons.

I never understood the benefit of Scavenger until just recently. Now that Im starting to get better and am surviving much longer I run out of ammo constantly.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Zod the Bear said:
It did seem to slow me down when I tried that.

Pyke Presco said:
Wrong, Riot Shield slows you to a crawl, its like carrying an LMG around. Use the SMG or the SNiper (sniper for the ghillie suit, or SMG for an oh shit time to spray moment) as they both have maximum mobility.

Aw, that sucks. I thought it didn't have a mobility rating so it'd be good to have on your back.

DeuceMojo said:
So the guy with the riot shield, scavenger, claymores -- possibly danger close -- ,and a shotgun for smartasses, could set claymores throughout that house and let his teammates take care of the long range kills from the relative safety of a booby-trapped HQ.

There really really should've been two houses on that map rather than making it Creek Pt. 2.
I would think so. The way bodies build up in that house, one could literally cover every door and window by the halfway point in the match.:lol

Chittagong

Gold Member
what's a good policy for leaving the game? usually when I end up in matched into a team losing 4000-2000 with 4 minutes left, I don't give a f'k and just leave.

Chittagong said:
what's a good policy for leaving the game? usually when I end up in matched into a team losing 4000-2000 with 4 minutes left, I don't give a f'k and just leave.
If I get put into a match that's already started, I back up into spectator mode and check the score. If they are getting crushed, I spectate the players on my "team" until it kicks me for inactivity. If it's close, I'll join in.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Chittagong said:

It doesn't really matter since you'll just be replaced. If it were any other game, I'd say it's in bad form. You do forfeit your match bonus XP though, so I'd just try to get some kills to raise that puppy a bit.

EDIT: oh, you meant when you join the losing team. You're probably not getting any big bonuses anyway, so you might want to just leave.

Nizz

Finished the single player yesterday, hell of a ride! I gotta say it was nice
and totally unexpected to see Captain Price again!

I've been flipping back and forth between single player and multi till I finished the campaign last night. The multiplayer is still gaming crack pressed on a disc. ;)

Although I jumped into a FFA match last night on the Rust map for the first time and jesus, it's like Killhouse or Shipment part two.

It was pretty much respawn, take two steps and take somebody out, then die. I love the look of the map, in a way it reminded me of Pyrrhus Rise from Killzone 2. The desert setting, old, abandoned structures. Except Rust is on a much smaller scale.

Th Terminal map so far is probably one of my favorite new maps. Good size, different ways to get inside and outside.

I also tried one Spec-Ops mission last night, the Favela level. That was really fun, going to have to touch that mode again tonight.

got2bekidding said:
I would think so. The way bodies build up in that house, one could literally cover every door and window by the halfway point in the match.:lol

I definitely want to try taking over the house and holding it down. However, I do fear the machinegunner who finds good cover and peppers that house looking for the inevitable backdraft chain reaction and kills. :lol

ZZMitch

winnarps said:

I did that last night when getting my nuke :D

DeuceMojo said:
I definitely want to try taking over the house and holding it down. However, I do fear the machinegunner who finds good cover and peppers that house looking for the inevitable backdraft chain reaction and kills. :lol
How incredibly awesome that would be?! Fun would be had for all, those in the house and outside it. :lol

GDJustin said:

Yes, this combo is indeed awesome. Actually got my highest killstreak (without using the killstreak rewards) with it and 80% of the kills were with a knife.

cameltoe said:
the lag was fucking brutal last night (360) Lets hope for better tonight or I swear to God I will just continue playing...... Take that IW!!!
Hahah... now that's the spirit. :lol

Dude, people complain about super lag in some games, and yet I love it some nights. You know the lag compensation is working correctly when I'm getting the credit for kills that I made 10 seconds ago.

unomas

Banned
Tkawsome said:
I need some more Gaf buddies for the PS3 version, who should I send an invite to?

What's your gamertag? I'll add you, I switched from 360 to PS3 and need to build my MW2 friends list up. Just ordered a mic today so hopefully I'll have it within a week from Amazon.

Druz

GDJustin said:

It's cheap, takes advantage of P2P pings

LiveWire

DeuceMojo said:

Wouldn't a rocket-propelled grenade fired up into the house set off the claymores?

winnarps said:

Easy way to deal with this kind of guy is to either toss nades into the house from the outside or tube in there to blow up claymores. Also, don't forget that you have easy access to the second floor from behind (where no one claymores) if you run up the woodpile in the back corner.

I do that all the time and get 2-3 campers every time. It's silly how they have no idea you are coming since everyone either forgets about that or doesn't know you can get in the house from that direction.

Chittagong

Gold Member
GuardianE said:
It doesn't really matter since you'll just be replaced. If it were any other game, I'd say it's in bad form. You do forfeit your match bonus XP though, so I'd just try to get some kills to raise that puppy a bit.

EDIT: oh, you meant when you join the losing team. You're probably not getting any big bonuses anyway, so you might want to just leave.

It's kind of a cycle of bullshit. Once you get thrown to an obviously losing game, you quit. Because people leave the losing team, you are much more likely to be thrown on the losing team than the winning one. Last game was the best. 30 sec left when I joined to lose.

unomas

Banned
ismaboof said:
God this game's multiplayer is frustrating. How are people so good? I don't get it.

It's hard in the beginning until you can get some perks and get used to the gameplay. Some good tips I've read just in this thread are to follow a high level player around, someone at least 50+ or even a 40 level to see what spots they go to and what types of strategies they use.

Also, I was a 1/1 KD ratio guy in COD 4, but I started out horribly in MW2 going as low as .33 early on in multiplayer, now that I'm up to a 22 and have some decent perks I've managed to get up to a 1.02 in TDM, but it hasn't been easy.

Lastly, camp a little bit, find some decent spots so you can get some easy kills here or there, but don't stay in one place for too long unless it's a tough area for someone to ambush you in. It's hard in TDM to rack up big numbers without camping a little bit or having access to all the perks.

I'm just an average player though, I'm sure others will have better advice for you, but the different modes can require different types of setups. I doubt anyone in this thread has a KD ratio higher than 2/1 just playing TDM, maybe a few people.

My best killstreak so far is 12.

BuRT!

I finally got a nuke last night! I guess you don't get any titles until you set off 2 though :(

Domination seems to be the best way to get it since the games are usually very long. I get 20-24 kill streaks often and fall just short of the 25, so frustrating.

OldJadedGamer said:
Easy way to deal with this kind of guy is to either toss nades into the house from the outside or tube in there to blow up claymores. Also, don't forget that you have easy access to the second floor from behind (where no one claymores) if you run up the woodpile in the back corner.

I do that all the time and get 2-3 campers every time. It's silly how they have no idea you are coming since everyone either forgets about that or doesn't know you can get in the house from that direction.

Also, stun grenades disable claymores. No excuse for repeated dying by them.

droopy

winnarps said:

Pretty sure planting a third claymore detonates the first one you planted, not that being able to continuously replace them isn't worth it anyway.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Chittagong said:
It's kind of a cycle of bullshit. Once you get thrown to an obviously losing game, you quit. Because people leave the losing team, you are much more likely to be thrown on the losing team than the winning one. Last game was the best. 30 sec left when I joined to lose.

I joined a game and literally lost as a took a step forward.

ChefRamsay said:
Sounds like an 'experience curve'. Can't remember the technical name, but it goes something like this:
experience_curve.jpg

1. Basically, when you first start playing, you underthink everything. This is good. You are unpredictable. Call it beginner's luck.
  2. Then you start to try to learn how to play. As you become more experienced, you overthink things and become very predictable. This leads to poorer results, even though you are more experienced. This is where you are now.
  3. Keep fighting through it and eventually you'll blow past the overthink stage and get proportionally better with experience.
Btw, if anyone knows the real name of this phenomenon/curve, please tell me. I learned it in first year but can't remember it now... When I learned it, I believe the prof was trying to apply it to teamwork. I apply it to studying, as stage 1 is 'don't know enough to know you're screwed and therefore write the exam with confidence', stage 2 is 'HOLY FUCK I KNOW NOTHING', stage 3 is where the real studying happens.

That really is a smart concept. Makes me want to keep pushing through, as someone said above.

I'll throw the [GAF] tag on for sure, great idea! ( [GAF]Aversicles on psn)

Chittagong said:

Yes I hate constantly getting tossed into a badly losing teams in games.

Really some game modes should just have an "give up" point where it ends if there is such a huge discrepancy in scores, teams rarely can make MASSIVE come backs in this game due to killstreaks. Reminds me of Killzone where you a team had to win like 3 of 5 rounds to win the game and one team even when reaching it the game would keep going and force both sides to play out 2 more rounds and waste 30-45 minutes of play.... its already over, just end already!

Top Bottom