• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

J-Rzez

ACR > M16 in my personal opinion. ACR is just so accurate you spray far less than the other fully auto's, and there are situations where that accuracy is key from the hip. Good stuff.

It's a shame that Bushmaster has the "production rights" to this gun IRL. But then again, Magpul (who picked up the design elsewhere) probably doesn't have production capabilities to produce this correctly I imagine. And that they're only really known for accessories to boot I suspect, that people would be leery of it. From initial military/LE tests, it is performing admirably, though I suspect the HK416/417 will get the nod from more departments. UNLESS, there is a huge price difference.

jiien

ultron87 said:
I do it pretty much any time I have a Stinger on me. It's so easy. It is always annoying when it is one of the supports that has flares.

How do those work anyway? Does a specific support have a limited number of flares or does your missile actually have to get past them somehow?

Each support has a set number of flares. So it will take NumOfFlares+1 missile hits to take it out. AC130's have two, harriers have none...I don't remember off the top of my head. They either have between 0 and 2. : )

j-Rzez said:
ACR > M16 in my personal opinion. ACR is just so accurate you spray far less than the other fully auto's, and there are situations where that accuracy is key from the hip. Good stuff.

Agreed. M16 is powerful for range, but up close, it's a fifty-fifty thing. You miss that first burst, and you're dead. Which is why I also prefer the full auto ARs.

todahawk

BattleMonkey said:
Yes I hate constantly getting tossed into a badly losing teams in games.

Really some game modes should just have an "give up" point where it ends if there is such a huge discrepancy in scores, teams rarely can make MASSIVE come backs in this game due to killstreaks. Reminds me of Killzone where you a team had to win like 3 of 5 rounds to win the game and one team even when reaching it the game would keep going and force both sides to play out 2 more rounds and waste 30-45 minutes of play.... its already over, just end already!

My team was losing 180-0 on Terminal (HQ mode) before we finally snagged a HQ. I found a nice defensive position (prone with my RPD among some bodies right next to a golf cart) and our team setup a nice crossfire and just kept shifting and taking them out. We held out what felt like forever before the other team capped it but we caught the next HQ right away.

Next thing I know we get the victory, 200-180 and I couldn't believe it. Neither could the rest of our team, we just sat in silence while the other team bitched about our luck. Someone on our team finally blurted out "that was fucking awesome".

Our K/D wasn't great and the other team had a lot of really and good K/D ratios but man we just cranked away.

J-Rzez

jiien said:
Agreed. M16 is powerful for range, but up close, it's a fifty-fifty thing. You miss that first burst, and you're dead. Which is why I also prefer the full auto ARs.

I didn't get to try out the AK yet, getting there slowly, but that has good odds of being my AR of choice. The FN 2000 on the other hand, which you unlock after the ACR, is junk. Not very accurate, and burns through the ammo like mad.

I'm still a bit surprised there wasn't any newer variants of the AK put in there. Like the 10X series. Actually, I'm pretty surprised the AN-94 didn't make an appearance as well. I don't really think IW did their homework with the guns this time, nor really went out of their way to make people happy and put a better assortment in there. I-dub, SIG 55X series, AN-94 should be in there I think. The ACR also comes in 6.8 and 7.62 varieties, wish they would've put one of them in there. A little power boost would make the ACR a real killer.

jiien

J-Rzez said:
I didn't get to try out the AK yet, getting there slowly, but that has good odds of being my AR of choice. The FN 2000 on the other hand, which you unlock after the ACR, is junk. Not very accurate, and burns through the ammo like mad.

I'm a bit wary about the AK. People here have said it's really damn powerful, and historically through these games, it tends to be. I've never run across one to pick up in MP, but have obviously messed around with it in SP, and it seems to have way too much recoil (whereas the ACR and SCAR, and such, never seem to bounce at all). I guess I'll have to actually try it in action to reach a real verdict, but I have a feeling that the ACR/SCAR will be the gun(s) I use till I prestige.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
greenjerk said:
My team was losing 180-0 on Terminal (HQ mode) before we finally snagged a HQ. I found a nice defensive position (prone with my RPD among some bodies right next to a golf cart) and our team setup a nice crossfire and just kept shifting and taking them out. We held out what felt like forever before the other team capped it but we caught the next HQ right away.

Next thing I know we get the victory, 200-180 and I couldn't believe it. Neither could the rest of our team, we just sat in silence while the other team bitched about our luck. Someone on our team finally blurted out "that was fucking awesome".

Our K/D wasn't great and the other team had a lot of really and good K/D ratios but man we just cranked away.

Every time i see someone talk about K:D ratios, I am reminded of seeing my team run away from flags in domination and hq's in hq pro.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Just started playing in the Demolition playlist.

This mode is pretty fun, Search and Destroy with respawns.

bdouble

J-Rzez said:
The ACR also comes in 6.8 and 7.62 varieties, wish they would've put one of them in there. A little power boost would make the ACR a real killer.
I don't think they are too concerned with caliber. I mean if that was a factor to the balance then the .50 cal wouldn't behave like it does.

I hope they have weapon packs. I love unlocking new shit haha.

J-Rzez said:
I don't really think IW did their homework with the guns this time, nor really went out of their way to make people happy and put a better assortment in there.
I think their selection has always been a little on the wack side. The weapons are supposed to be iconic and mean something, but they just kinda end up being a little silly in places. Skorpion, AK, other antique and unusable stuff. I mean, people know it's an AK-47 because it was developed in freaking 1947, right?

If you're gonna have an old-ass FAL and AK, why not the old-ass M14? If you're gonna have a TAR21 why not the L85?

I actually like their selection better this time around, but it's always felt a little light compared to some other games.

Kibbles

Not a Jellyfish said:
what game type?
Headquarters. Got my nukes on Rundown and Terminal.

Man did they nerf the Desert Eagle in MP. In CoD4 I could run around and kill people with just that. :lol

jiien

Kibbles said:
Headquarters.

Man did they nerf the Desert Eagle in MP. In CoD4 I could run around and kill people with just that. :lol

I feel like they nerfed pistols in general. I feel that the machine pistols and shotguns are much better secondaries. (Basing this off of how badass the Magnum was in WaW, thing was basically a shotgun). If it weren't for the tactical knife attachment, I'd say pistols were useless, but maybe I just suck with them.

cameltoe

unomas said:
What's your gamertag? I'll add you, I switched from 360 to PS3 and need to build my MW2 friends list up. Just ordered a mic today so hopefully I'll have it within a week from Amazon.

I have the PS3 version as well.....Ill rock some MW2 with ya

psn: cameltow

Narag

jiien said:
I feel like they nerfed pistols in general. I feel that the machine pistols and shotguns are much better secondaries. (Basing this off of how badass the Magnum was in WaW, thing was basically a shotgun). If it weren't for the tactical knife attachment, I'd say pistols were useless, but maybe I just suck with them.

I've little issues with pistols and no stopping power. Its not like I'm going to win against a higher powered gun but a well placed headshot seems to do the trick.

Magik

DeuceMojo said:
Ok, I know we've discussed this, but it's still evolving, so what's the basic consensus:

What is the highest XP/ fastest leveling multiplayer mode?

I find Demolition to be the best overall at getting XP and kills.

The rounds can last for a LONG time because when a bomb site is planted, the game timer stops until the bomb site is either diffused or destroyed. If the first site is destroyed, another 2 minutes is added to the match and unlike Sabotage, there is no spawn delay when killed or when you're killed after capturing the HQ in HQ Pro.

Its pretty common to rack up between 10000-15000 XP in Demolition since you get a ton of kills, XP for bomb planting or diffusing and the game gives a lot of Match Bonus XP each round.

I asked earlier but didn't see a response so here it goes again.

Does host migration work for anyone else, or does it just crap out for me? I swear it fails almost every time it pops up.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Tkawsome said:

Does host migration work for anyone else, or does it just crap out for me? I swear it fails almost every time it pops up.

I've logged over 48 hours in multi and I don't think I've seen one instance in which it's failed to migrate.

Nizz

Tkawsome said:

Are you playing on PS3? It's happened to me a couple of times. Not often, but a couple...

fps fanatic said:
Are you playing on PS3? It's happened to me a couple of times. Not often, but a couple...

Yeah, PS3. Host Migration doesn't happen often, but when it does it's almost a guarantee "Server timed out".

Mad Max

Tkawsome said:

I agree, it only works about 40% of the time, so I still get kicked back to the lobby a lot like in cod4.

Mileena

Banned
Tkawsome said:

Playing on 360 and it only fails like 5% of the time.

ultron87 said:
I do it pretty much any time I have a Stinger on me. It's so easy. It is always annoying when it is one of the supports that has flares.

How do those work anyway? Does a specific support have a limited number of flares or does your missile actually have to get past them somehow?

Yeah, the flares piss me off cause I waste a rocket.

oh, and 360 here... no migration problems at all that I've seen in over 20 hours.

Beezy

Apo said:
Oh yeah, the killstreak bonuses are completely insane. Had a balanced game with a score of 4300:4100 and then the enemy team called a harrier and a cobra at the same time and then we were defeated.
Keep a rocket launcher as you secondary (I use stinger), use the coldblooded perk, and shoot them down as soon as they appear.

There are weapons and perks to deal with every killstreak bonus (except the nuke).

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
So, thanks to this thread, I decided to swap out my SCAR for the AUG for my mid-range build (stopping power, sleight of hand, ninja).

HOLY SHIT THIS GUN IS AMAZING. Sometimes for some reason the game requires me to unload a full SCAR clip to kill people. THE AUG OBLITERATES PEOPLE! And I think it's more accurate to boot! (maybe has less recoil?)

With my new weapon, I'm 15-0 on Wasteland (first game I'm trying it). Guided missile. Call in Harrier airstrike. Everything going great.

HOST MIGRATION

Oh shi-

*please work please work please work*

UNABLE TO FIND HOST SERVER TIME OUT

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

RSTEIN said:
HOST MIGRATION

Oh shi-

*please work please work please work*

UNABLE TO FIND HOST SERVER TIME OUT

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

What really chaps my ass is a couple of days ago it cut out at the end of a match I had 0 deaths on.

:(

Nizz

Anyone else like the TAR assault rifle? I started playing around with it and it's a decent gun. Fully automatic, nice iron sight, good distance.

I also got Akimbo for the MP5K last night, but I used it just once. Maybe some more time with it will do me good. Feels more like a novelty, although it's still pretty awesome to take somebody out with it. :D

Risette

A Good Citizen
fps fanatic said:
Anyone else like the TAR assault rifle? I started playing around with it and it's a decent gun. Fully automatic, nice iron sight, good distance.

I also got Akimbo for the MP5K last night, but I used it just once. Maybe some more time with it will do me good. Feels more like a novelty, although it's still pretty awesome to take somebody out with it. :D
*raises hand* I love the TAR. I almost exclusively use it except on sniping maps. It's really fast and does a good amount of damage, although a little inaccurate.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
fps fanatic said:
I think I'm starting to like it as much, if not more than the SCAR. I use one on my run-and-gun class and the other on my stealth class with a silencer.

Blader

Started playing the game today, finished Act I. I'm liking it so far (loved the Goldeneye moment in "Cliffhanger" :D) but the blood spatter is really fucking annoying. There isn't any way to turn it off, is there?

Nizz

Fyrus said:
*raises hand* I love the TAR. I almost exclusively use it except on sniping maps. It's really fast and does a good amount of damage, although a little inaccurate.
It is pretty good. I have that with Sleight of Hand Pro, Stopping Power Pro, and the Scramble perk (still don't have pro on that yet).

There's still plenty of perks that I don't have the Pro version of, but I'm working on it. I'm probably pretty close to getting Marathon Pro. Lightweight perk I'm getting up there with.

So far only Pro perks I have are for Sleight of Hand, Stopping Power, Scavenger, and Steady Aim. Gonna be a fun time working on em. :D

Yep, Harriers and Choppers can fight it out in the air.

Also, I love the TAR, but despise the red dot. If I put the RDS on that gun I cant hit the broadside of a barn. Luckily the iron sights are one of the better rifle sights in the game.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Pyke Presco said:
Yep, Harriers and Choppers can fight it out in the air.

Also, I love the TAR, but despise the red dot. If I put the RDS on that gun I cant hit the broadside of a barn. Luckily the iron sights are one of the better rifle sights in the game.
Yeah the TAR's red dot in MP is AWFUL. I use the holo sight.

In the campaign there's a TAR with the normal RDS and there's one called "TAR-21 Mars Sight" - which has the red dot that it uses in the MP. Weird.

FAMAS+stopping power has been my primary since...ever. I keep trying to get myself to try out the SCAR and other such things you guys talk about but I can never bring myself to actually do it. Everyone's down in one or two shots.

DMeisterJ

Banned
J-Rzez said:

It's a shame that Bushmaster has the "production rights" to this gun IRL. But then again, Magpul (who picked up the design elsewhere) probably doesn't have production capabilities to produce this correctly I imagine. And that they're only really known for accessories to boot I suspect, that people would be leery of it. From initial military/LE tests, it is performing admirably, though I suspect the HK416/417 will get the nod from more departments. UNLESS, there is a huge price difference.

Yes, ACR is much better than the M16. I like being able to control my bursts, rather than it be a 3 round. I'm going to stick with it until I get the AK which I know I will love.

--

As an aside, I'm really liking the ACOG scope. I really didn't at first, but I'm liking it much more than the Red Dot as of now. Especially with the ACR, I can use it at mid to long range with little fuss, and use my handgun/tac knife combo at short range.

I'm also really liking the silencer with my ACR. Not giving up my position is awesome, and I love the sound. But the conundrum I'm in is that I need Bling so that I can use both the ACOG and the silencer, so I stopped using Scavenger. I kinda missed it for a match or two, but then I saw that I was really only pumping 2-3 bullets into people before they died because I'm using Stopping Power, so I don't really need lots of bullets to killstreak higher.

J-Rzez

Relix said:
So what's the best weapon =P

FAMAS -> SCAR -> FAL -> ACR. That's the AR progression I'd recommend. Do the others for the challenges if you want the points and don't care about stats like me.

I don't like the LMG's too much, except the AUG. The thing is an absolute monster.

SMGs, MP5k isn't bad. UMP is nice. P90 is same old ridiculous weapon from before, but seemingly more accurate at range now. Uzi is fun. That Vector, hate it.

Used the Barret until the WA2000. Messing with the "EBR" now.

All the machine pistols are great. The Raffica though, is insane. I can actually combat people with basically any other weapon with it.

rodvik

glaurung said:
OK so the multiplayer game is almost unplayable for me by now.

I am below rank 20, most proper weapons and stinger are still locked and I get matched up with rank 30+ guys all the time.

Which means pretty much this kind of a deathstreak for me:
  • Killed by someone shooting me through the wall.
  • Killed by a sniper.
  • Killed by the same sniper shooting me through a wall.
  • Killed by the same sniper again.
  • Killed with missile.
  • Killed by Harrier.
  • Killed by the same Harrier, through a wall.
  • Killed by the same Harrier, through another wall.
I would not say that I am a complete failure, but the weapons balance is way off in this game. And with this kind of a scenario happening all the time, my experience gains have slowed to an absolute crawl. Meaning I will probably keep as far away from the multiplayer as possible.

Reminds me how I tried the first MW multiplayer after the launch of WaW. By some freak of a matchup I got into a game with two German clans, where all players had multiple prestige ranks. I remember someone saying "Was ist das, ein Ebene Sechs Spieler?"

I was level six and for the remainder of the round I was continously headshot through the walls.

I might come back to the multiplayer once I get some pals to buy a copy.

What level are you? If you have unlocked hardcore mode perhaps try that?

Seriously, I know it sounds counter intuitive but for me hardcore mode gives a more even playing field when it comes to equipment that regular. Your milage may vary but its worth a shot.

Failing that, maybe try one of the big team modes outside of deathmatch. There you can gain good xp by holding flags or moving with groups.

Does anyone think C4 is the best equipment and perhaps a little overpowered, I unlocked it like two days ago and I have more kills with it than all my other equipment combined. Its so fun setting traps on flags and headquarters. :lol

Top Bottom