• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Neverfade

Potential solution for nobody wanting to shoot down Air Support: Make it worth an actual kill or two. Advancement towards your next KS should be enough incentive, as points really aren't.

Who really gives a shit about your Score Rank of all things?

So I prestiged after being lvl70 for weeks. Urgh. It's a nice change having to go back to weapons I haven't used since day 1, but I'm missing my claymore's and Jesus, trying to take down a heli or jet without Cold Blooded seems nearly impossible.

MarkMclovin said:
So I prestiged after being lvl70 for weeks. Urgh. It's a nice change having to go back to weapons I haven't used since day 1, but I'm missing my claymore's and Jesus, trying to take down a heli or jet without Cold Blooded seems nearly impossible.

I made a separate class with Cold Blooded + Stinger. Good for leveling Cold Blooded into Cold Blooded Pro, also... Stinger is beast for removing air support, and you also don't take hits from them. 2 shots for Chopper Gunner, 2 shots for AC130. :D

2 shots because of flares, of course.

DarkJC

Neverfade said:
Potential solution for nobody wanting to shoot down Air Support: Make it worth an actual kill or two. Advancement towards your next KS should be enough incentive, as points really aren't.

Who really gives a shit about your Score Rank of all things?

The incentive is not getting your ass mowed down by air support and a bunch of experience for one stinger missile in most cases. If people would rather ignore it and let the enemy get free kills, let them.

It shouldn't matter to you anyway, because you're shooting it down, right?

I use the mini uzi with silencer and thermal on it for search and destroy. It's funny people saying "who the fuck uses a thermal on an uzi" and "stop sniping me with the thermal uzi"

FabCam

Just finished the campaign, here are my thoughts:

Story was...odd. I didn't know what the hell was going on half the time, poor presentation of story points I guess. Like, why did we fight to get onto
the sub and when Price launches the missile everyone is like "wtf man?!"
. And why did
Shepard turn on our squad?
It was all pretty crappily linked too. Would Russia really start
WW3 because they find one dead American man in an airport where civies got killed?
Surely the US could just go
"he was undercover, here's our files on Makarov. He did it."

Also to do with story, there's one section of the game that should be "holy shit!" but the atmosphere doesn't capture that at all.
Russians are invading the US! This is insane! Yet I didn't even know what was happening as the satellite cut scene thing didn't really suggest anything major was going down.

Gameplay gripes. There are some points where there are just too many enemies on screen. You're getting shot and you just don't know where from. I died so many times because I was taking fire so tried to find cover but then there were enemies above, behind and flanking me too! The AI is also annoying in some spots. Most of the time it's decent but at some points (Favela comes to mind) where enemies know exactly where you are and can spot you from miles away. Kind of annoying.

Another gripe was how many times you get hit by explosions for cinematic effect (something blows in your face and everything goes fuzzy for a few secs until someone picks you up). In CoD4 that only happened a couple of times making it really epic, but by the end of MW2 it was just getting annoying.

BUT. Still an incredible incredible game. Some set pieces are just so damn epic. And the shooting mechanic is just superb. I don't know what it is, but IW have the magic sauce when it comes to gun mechanics. They just feel so much better than any other game out.

Lince

Banned
J-Rzez said:
The game's not designed to be played competitively. It's designed to be more casual than ever. That's just how it is.

Exactly, ever since I accepted the fact the game is based around "cheap and fast" kills I stopped complaining and whining about campers, lag, commando warping, OMA infinite grenades and laughable spawns. I just join a lobby with my Univ. friends and play and trash talk for hours, not caring much about how did I kill that guy or how did he kill me, just having fun. This is a FPS for the masses, I've played both annoying 10 year olds and men well past their 40's, why? because you can actually kill in this game just by pressing a button and forget. Akimbo, Shotguns, smg & rapid fire, commando...

I know most of you don't agree but in my opinion this game takes no skill (not saying it isn't fun, read above) with a good connection every weapon is awesome and you destroy everyone, with an average-poor connection you're still going to kill some guys thanks to the game spawning you behind their back most of the time and encouraging you to camp in dark corners, btw I checked the leader boards on the PS3 version and it has almost 5 million users registered... mind blown?

edit: got my 5th nuke yesterday by camping with the help of my friends, I was sniping on Wasteland and they were protecting me from flankers, we usually do this in turns, so who's next trying to get a nuke? I know it's cheap, but that's the way the game is meant to be played :lol

aku:jiki

DarkJC said:
The incentive is not getting your ass mowed down by air support and a bunch of experience for one stinger missile in most cases. If people would rather ignore it and let the enemy get free kills, let them.

It shouldn't matter to you anyway, because you're shooting it down, right?
I don't know what's up with you guys who hardline that there are only two options; take down air support or get taken down by it. I do neither; I just look where the chopper is and head in the opposite direction, stay inside, etc. I never get taken down by killstreaks except for total bullshit like a predator killing me when I was as far inside as I could possibly get, because the shooter got one of those shitty predators with a sideways angle.

Either way, I have more fun dodging the AC130 than I do trying to shoot it down - I'm done being killed 5 times in a row because the AC keeps flaring my damn stingers over and over and over.

Narag

Lince said:
edit: got my 5th nuke yesterday by camping with the help of my friends, I was sniping on Wasteland and they were protecting me from flankers, we usually do this in turns, so who's next trying to get a nuke? I know it's cheap, but that's the way the game is meant to be played :lol

I don't see how that's cheap. Sounds like teamwork in a teambased setting!

codecow

When you talk of rewarding casual play instead of skill; the score system does exactly this. There are guys that finish with what I consider to be crap play, let's say 15 kills and 20 deaths who have a better score than if I finish with 10 kills and 1 death.

I hate dying. Dying is not good. When someone dies 30 times in a match, I don't care if they also got 30 kills, to me it is crap play. They're feeding the enemy team's score and killstreaks by dying so much and IMO should have a score penalty in a game which is based more on skilled play.

They don't even sort the scoreboard by kills. Even in WoW (which is one of the most casual games ever created) their objective-based PVP sorts by KBs initially, not damage, not heals, not deaths, not an artificial score; they use killing blows.

There is a guy on my friends list who has prestiged several times who has like 14k kills, 17k deaths. To me this type of play is bizarre. There is something about this game which hooks people who can't go positive and they play it like crazy. You see them all the time in games, the guy with 14 kills and 20 deaths. I don't get it. How can someone play the thing for many days played and still not be able to go positive?

roosters93 said:
Is it my fault the Stingers miss sometimes?

No. You cant fire it until you have a lock on, but the flares will make the rocket fly off target. I sometimes find that an aircraft will go down in one, or not at all. A Pavelow dodged 4 of my stingers last night, and when I busted one out, the fucker went down in 1 shot.

codecow

roosters93 said:
If my K/d was less than 1, I don't think I could handle dying so much.

I mean if you're playing games like 30-10 then sure, I get that. But you can play games at 25-25 and have a K/D of 1.0, I wouldn't say that is a good score (personally).

backflip10019 said:
Karachi is the worst map in the game. Seriously, why is it so vertical? Vertical maps do not work in Call of Duty.

Karachi is tied for Rundown as the worst game.

I seriously don't understand what you guys are bitching about with the spawn system. Like I said above: I mostly play Domination and have never felt screwed by the spawns (except for Highrise, which is something totally different).

Lince said:
I know most of you don't agree but in my opinion this game takes no skill

Count me in as one of those guys who disagrees. Here's what I think (not that the masses really care what I think). I think MW2 is at its best when teams actually play as a team - it rewards team play more than anything else. I think that when playing against random people in public lobbies, the skill of an individual player gets incredibly diluted.

See, I think that's why IW tried to kill party chat. They understood that this game requires teamwork to flow properly and they knew party chat kills this in public lobbies. Even when playing Team Deathmatch you need friendlies to help spot enemies, clear corners, cover your back, etc. In Demolition, you need to be able to say "planting the bomb - cover me."

I'll say it again: the killstreak system is what really ruined this game. Not because the bonuses are too powerful, but because they changed our mindset when going into battle. We're now much more focused on our individual achievements rather than the team achievements. We say "Well, we lost, but I got a couple Pave Lows and an AC-130, so it was a good game." We rage when we start a round 6-1 because we wanted those Harriers so badly. And we camp more than ever so we can get those Harriers.

Remember how getting 7 kills used to be the best thing you could do? And everything after that was gravy?

Kujo

divisionbyzorro said:
We're now much more focused on our individual achievements rather than the team achievements.
Yeah I hate this in Domination. People too scared for their KD ratios or losing their killstreaks to capture a point or run to defend one.

smik

Xevren said:
Spawns definitely break this game. It makes it really hard to have fun. Some of the maps would be an easy fix really, Sub Base's respawns are the worst in any game I have ever played they are just terrible.

Ran into my first set of boosters just now too, wasn't hard to find them to put an end to that. Really sad people would do that.

QFT!

its a shame that only 50% of this map gets played (A + B area) leaving the entire top half
(C area in domination) completely empty or useless

only ppl u see their are there ones that are just camping to get that 1 more kill for their streak, which even that happens rarely

sigh

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
So last night I was finally able to feel like a veteran in this game. I know what it feels like to absolutely chump your opponents :lol

We were playing last night and my friend was the party leader (level 25, no prestige), and it dumps us into a game that is pretty much all sub-50 people that are pretty clearly Fresh XMas Fish.

Pretty much every game I went something like 5:1 or greater, and I never really felt like anyone really had a chance in a 1:1 encounter. The skies were constantly filled with my Harriers and Pavelows (finding I prefer these two to the Chopper Gunner because I can whip them out more often).

It was nice to be put into a game with a bunch of prestige'd folks later and still be able to pull off the same ratio...let me know I could still hack it with the "big boys" :lol

Have slowly worked my K/D up to a 1.35 and my accuracy is still slowly climbing to 20%...currently at 19.45% or so. I seriously have to go like 5:1 with 25+ kills for 5 games straight just to go up a hundredth of a point. The first half of my MW2 career I was such a solid 1.00 player that I'm fighting tooth and nail to climb out of the low 1.00 K/D range. (Have something like 19,000 kills now)

Love love love love love this game. I still have my "OH WHAT THE FUCK" moments where I genuinely don't understand how I either didn't kill the other person or how I died...but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that experience is pretty much common amongst all competitive FPS games.

Ended the night yesterday by reaching level 48 on my second prestige for my beloved ACR, and racking up enough kills to get my silencer in a few games. I'll now play with that class till I reach the end of this prestige and figure out if I want to do the entire run all over again...

3rd prestige icon is so fucking ugly...but 4th prestige and beyond have wonderful icons... by doing it a 3rd time I'm pretty much signing up to do two full laps instead of just one...because fuck the big grey cookie icon.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Of course the game requires "skill" to excel. The people who aren't doing well and conclude that the game requires "no skill" just haven't found which type of skill the game demands of them. Once you figure this game out it becomes incredibly fun.

However, I can definitely appreciate when people say that they can't be bothered to figure it out. This game can drive you batshit insane. It is a different Call of Duty than we're all used to. It's very reasonable that someone would be turned off of this game. This game is like a 10 year old with ADD and borderline personality disorder. It can be tough to like this game. I was in this position originally but then I had an "ah ha!" moment and things clicked.

MarkMclovin said:
No. You cant fire it until you have a lock on, but the flares will make the rocket fly off target. I sometimes find that an aircraft will go down in one, or not at all. A Pavelow dodged 4 of my stingers last night, and when I busted one out, the fucker went down in 1 shot.
Exactly, I've been saying this all along. The Pavelow WILL die with one shot, if it happens to be the shot that takes it down that time. When I first got the Stinger on this prestige, my very first Pavelow dodged my two rockets, necessitating my suicide and respawn with two more rockets.
On the other hand, I had some trees between a Pavelow and me when I fired a rocket and it exploded into a great ball of fire on the first shot.
Kudos to the developers on that... adds a little challenge to the game. I used to know that if two people called in Harriers at the same time I could kill both with two shots. Since the patch, I know it's going to be 3-4.

Lince

Banned
guys, guys... of course it takes skill to excel, I meant it's too easy to kill someone in this game, autoaim, powerful weapons with high fire rate and so on, and the fact that you can get some nice frags and killstreak rewards just by camping in some vantage point and wait for people to come by, sadly that's what most people doing even in objective games. Maybe it's the 600 hours I put on KZ2 and now killing some dude with two bursts from my smg across the map feels "easy".

RubxQub

Lince said:
guys, guys... of course it takes skill to excel, I meant it's too easy to kill someone in this game, autoaim, powerful weapons with high fire rate and so on, and the fact that you can get some nice frags and killstreak rewards just by camping in some vantage point and wait for people to come by, sadly that's what most people doing even in objective games. Maybe it's the 600 hours I put on KZ2 and now killing some dude with two bursts from my smg across the map feels "easy".
For what it's worth, auto-aim is a fucking nightmare, not a help.

There are so many times where instead of getting a double or triple kill, I'll die...because the game decided to take my crosshairs away from the target I was shooting and instead slides to follow some other dude who crossed my path.

So fucking frustrating. I turned off auto-aim in the single player...I want that shit off in the multiplayer! YOU AREN'T HELPING! AAAAAHHHHH

A few days back, someone mentioned their love for the M93 Raffica. All my loadouts now have the P90 as primary and Raffica as secondary and I'm alternating between the two going through challenges to get the attachments.
Took me a minute to get the hang of a 3-round burst pistol, but it does its job. On Derail, I kept running laps around the map, dropping in on the second floor of the warehouse with the sniper ledge to kill one or two snipers every time. It was awesome to just sneak up crouched, aim, pull the trigger once, and watch the sniper lay his head down for The Big Prone.
Now I know why the guy called it the Mini-16. A one-shot pistol? Nice.

cameltoe

divisionbyzorro said:
Karachi is tied for Rundown as the worst game.

I seriously don't understand what you guys are bitching about with the spawn system. Like I said above: I mostly play Domination and have never felt screwed by the spawns (except for Highrise, which is something totally different).

Count me in as one of those guys who disagrees. Here's what I think (not that the masses really care what I think). I think MW2 is at its best when teams actually play as a team - it rewards team play more than anything else. I think that when playing against random people in public lobbies, the skill of an individual player gets incredibly diluted.

See, I think that's why IW tried to kill party chat. They understood that this game requires teamwork to flow properly and they knew party chat kills this in public lobbies. Even when playing Team Deathmatch you need friendlies to help spot enemies, clear corners, cover your back, etc. In Demolition, you need to be able to say "planting the bomb - cover me."

I'll say it again: the killstreak system is what really ruined this game. Not because the bonuses are too powerful, but because they changed our mindset when going into battle. We're now much more focused on our individual achievements rather than the team achievements. We say "Well, we lost, but I got a couple Pave Lows and an AC-130, so it was a good game." We rage when we start a round 6-1 because we wanted those Harriers so badly. And we camp more than ever so we can get those Harriers.

Remember how getting 7 kills used to be the best thing you could do? And everything after that was gravy?

I agree with you my man....everyone is so focused on killstreaks.

Garryk

I have this game installed to my 360 HDD and I keep getting disc unreadable errors at random points in the game. I've tried deleting and reinstalling it, but I still get the error. Anyone else have this problem?

Garryk said:
I have this game installed to my 360 HDD and I keep getting disc unreadable errors at random points in the game. I've tried deleting and reinstalling it, but I still get the error. Anyone else have this problem?

Clean the disc, delete the cache.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Mojo said:
Yeah I hate this in Domination. People too scared for their KD ratios or losing their killstreaks to capture a point or run to defend one.

I've noticed that the best teams are ones which have a 1 or 2 noobs that sprint to capture the flags for this very reason .

the great thing about domination is that you get 150 pts for capturing points. So whilst attacking capture points may be somewhat of a suicide run they can still work out for you.

shooting down harriers/helicopters are also a good way of getting points if you are doing suicide runs.

RubxQub said:
There are so many times where instead of getting a double or triple kill, I'll die...because the game decided to take my crosshairs away from the target I was shooting and instead slides to follow some other dude who crossed my path.
I always wondered about this. It tends to happen too fast for me to see that it was auto-aim, but yeah I'll often rush a room or ambush a line of enemies running up the incline in Rust and think "two or three kills for sure" and then end up getting one or NONE because I shoot and wound, change targets, shoot and wound, then die.
In fact, it screws you even w/o multiple targets. I was covering the top of the stairs in Estate, looking out the front door when someone runs in from the kitchen or something, drawing my crosshairs automatically to the bottom of the stairs, then off towards the living room, all the while people rushing in the front door and killing me. WTF?
Although, I think everyone's been in the situation where they strafe from behind cover and hit an enemy they didn't even aim at, or make an amazing across-the-map shot with an AR. Those have got to be auto-aim doing you a favor.

The whole "defensive play helps your team" argument is bullshit. In Domination, Demolition , the instant spawns stipulate that incapacitating the enemy won't help your team achieve the objective. Sure, the opponents may be spawned slightly further away from the objective, but it takes little time for them to recover.

What I tried to say there was basically that simply killing the other team will not help your side win (as opposed to most other games that include a spawn delay). So to all of you K/D players who claim to help your team, I call bullshit. :p

i_am_ben said:
I've noticed that the best teams are ones which have a 1 or 2 noobs that sprint to capture the flags for this very reason .
Yeah, the precious K: D. Wow. Completely fucks up Domination, keeps people from playing Demolition, Sabotage.
I wonder what would happen if they weighted scoring in Domination like 500 pts per capture, 20 pts per kill; maybe you'd find the game played completely differently.
I can see it now... 5 guys prone on every capture point, very little camping. :lol

F#A#Oo

Banned
roosters93 said:
If my K/d was less than 1, I don't think I could handle dying so much.

I find it hard to take k/d ratio seriously...like-wise the leaderboards...

I get really bored of MW2 very quickly...I like to play Riot Shield class as well as Tactical Knife...

Some games I can go on massive streaks others I'm bottom...

For me...the killstreaks have destroyed the game.

aku:jiki

DeuceMojo said:
A few days back, someone mentioned their love for the M93 Raffica.
Believe that was me. :D

What's funny is that I've gone in the opposite direction since then. I play sloppier and can't use burst-fire weapons anymore, because I've played with the ACR for so long. Had to switch back to PP2000 for secondary so I can spray with that one too. :lol

Had an epic shield run last night. Ran into a room with like 5 guys camping and sniping and they just panicked so I could easily pick them off one by one. Then there was a guy camping the opposite side of the room too and he started unloading into my shield, gave up and ran for me and I got him too! Finally died just one kill away from the streak. Would've been epic to win with nothing but the shield. :lol

DeuceMojo said:
Sabotage.
Not true, dude. Sabotage is a 20-minute killfest with enormous opportunities for streaking. People adore it. :D

F#A#Oo said:
B) Some games I can go on massive streaks others I'm bottom...

A) For me...the killstreaks have destroyed the game.
I think B is a direct result of A. I LOVE games where I'm 38-8 or 12-0 or whatever. At the same time, I've had matches where I went 7-14 and still felt I had a good time.
Kill streaks can turn the tide and turn your average player into a superstar, like the guy that cautiously seeks out a few kills, gets a Pavelow, then starts tear-assing around the map looking for the shit. Without the killstreak, he's still mousing around, looking for the surprise kill.
Conversely, maybe the game where you were going to come out on top gets undermined by an enemy killstreak and you go 12-16. It was still exciting, right?

RubxQub

DeuceMojo said:
Yeah, the precious K: D. Wow. Completely fucks up Domination, keeps people from playing Demolition, Sabotage.
I wonder what would happen if they weighted scoring in Domination like 500 pts per capture, 20 pts per kill; maybe you'd find the game played completely differently.
I can see it now... 5 guys prone on every capture point, very little camping. :lol
I don't think people care about score, they care about K/D, which needs to be adjusted (I'm just as guilty as anyone).

I'd say remove Kill and Death metrics in the game entirely and go with a purely score oriented system.

Kill Streaks become Score Streaks.

In non-deathmatch type games, the objectives net you substantially larger scores than killing people, which would encourage people to go for objectives without worrying how many times they had to die to get there. What's important is that team's are compelled to do what the game mode is forcing them to do, and with global leaderboards, that isn't happening.

This would be great, because then the game would reward people doing the objectives with Score-Streaks and the people just sitting off to the side racking up kills hardly getting rewarded.

Makes too much sense, so I have to assume there's a massive flaw with the system (like entire teams getting score-streaks at the same time for multi-capping locations or something)

Lince

Banned
DeuceMojo said:

also rewards for objective games should be awarded to those accomplishing them, capture two points in less than 5 minutes = care package, 3 points = chopper gunner / ac130 or something like that, killstreaks should only be enabled for TDM modes.

edit: at first I exclusively played domination with the riot shield and was always on top in the scoreboard but with terrible K/D ratios... at some point I had like 4k more deaths than kills, then I started playing "the way most people play" and now I have 4k more kills than deaths, so I made up 8k kills just by carefully building my killstreaks instead of rushing to the objectives.

mYm|17|

Sucks that they added the ridiculous amount of killstreaks in this game. IW seriously needs to add a playlist that had the killstreak output in COD4 (UAV/Airstrike/Chopper) or just a barebones one.

Sadly, I doubt it will happen.

RubxQub said:
I'd say remove Kill and Death metrics in the game entirely and go with a purely score oriented system.

Kill Streaks become Score Streaks.

In non-deathmatch type games, the objectives net you substantially larger scores than killing people, which would encourage people to go for objectives without worrying how many times they had to die to get there.
This system would work. At the very least, implement it in objective games, and leave it out of deathmatch games. Deathmatch games, well, rely on having a good ratio. Objective games -- with kill-to-death scoring enabled -- become, wait for it... yes, they become fucking deathmatches.

codecow

Internet Celebrity said:
The whole "defensive play helps your team" argument is bullshit. In Domination, Demolition , the instant spawns stipulate that incapacitating the enemy won't help your team achieve the objective. Sure, the opponents may be spawned slightly further away from the objective, but it takes little time for them to recover.

What I tried to say there was basically that simply killing the other team will not help your side win (as opposed to most other games that include a spawn delay). So to all of you K/D players who claim to help your team, I call bullshit. :p

Think of is this way, there are two ways to increase your K/D. The first is, as you say to kill a lot of people. The second is to die very little.

Now let's consider a mode like Domination. You increase your team score by getting a kill. You increase your team score more dep. on how many flags your team controls. If you rarely die, you haven't increased the enemy's score.

Not increasing the enemy's score helps your team win, and it helps them win even more if you're scoring by killing people.

Also consider that someone who doesn't die a lot isn't contributing towards enemy killstreaks.

Magik

mYm|17| said:
Sucks that they added the ridiculous amount of killstreaks in this game. IW seriously needs to add a playlist that had the killstreak output in COD4 (UAV/Airstrike/Chopper) or just a barebones one.

Sadly, I doubt it will happen.

I've been asking for a barebones mode for the longest time.

Hopefully in the future we get the game modes separated properly by having all the game modes listed under: Regular, Hardcore and Barebones with Barebones having no killstreaks at all. At least that way everybody will have the chance to play the game how they want to rather than having to deal with the bullshit that usually goes on nowadays.

codecow

RubxQub said:
I don't think people care about score, they care about K/D, which needs to be adjusted (I'm just as guilty as anyone).

I'd rather have a mode where they take out the score but I know I'm in the minority on this.

codecow

DeuceMojo said:
This system would work. At the very least, implement it in objective games, and leave it out of deathmatch games. Deathmatch games, well, rely on having a good ratio. Objective games -- with kill-to-death scoring enabled -- become, wait for it... yes, they become fucking deathmatches.

I think WoW did a good job of this. Your team gets 3 things for winning and 1 for losing. Scoring is still kill-based although objectives are tracked (flag caps, etc...) The CoD analogy would be to reward 3000xp for a win and 1000xp for a loss or something but cease to reward guys who are 3-30 who happen to have sat on a lot of flags.

RubxQub

codecow said:
I'd rather have a mode where they take out the score but I know I'm in the minority on this.
I think Duece got it right.

Deathmatch games should be Kill/Death oriented while objective games should be score oriented.

I disagree, however, that a person going 3-0 is better than a guy going 17-14.

The 3 and 0 guy isn't doing anything...he could be replaced with someone else who actually plans on playing the game. The 17 and 14 guy helped push our team to victory much faster. In a close game, the 3 and 0 guy isn't going to be the game-changer and potentially win the team the match, it's going to be the 17 and 14 guy who goes out there and pushes his team across the finish line before the other team, netting the win.

...I don't know, I loathe people who think this game is about hiding and camping and not contributing.

EDIT: After the GameFaqs, 1UP, Official PlayStation, NGU, and many other boards picked up on this, I figured it would be best to make it painfully obvious that this is not true! This was me simply having a good time writing up my personal fantasy. Don't get me wrong: I'd love it if this was true, but it's not. This is simply a perfect example of how people on the internet don't check their sources and rush to jump on every bandwagon they find.

I mean, seriously, did you even check the quote? It says "Generic Gaming Magazine." Geez.

The original post follows:

Would this be better?

Generic Gaming Magazine said:
Infinity Ward Announces New "Momentum System" For Modern Warfare 2

This morning, Robert Bowling (@fourzerotwo) tweeted that a new "Momentum System" would replace the killstreak system in Modern Warfare 2, setting the internet abuzz. To the best of this GGM editor's knowledge, no modern video game has ever made such drastic changes to its core multiplayer structure in this manner, and you, dear reader, are in luck. Only GGM has the exclusive details about what you will see when the next title update hits on January 20th for both Xbox Live and Playstation Network.

No More Killstreaks

Yes, you read that right. Those precious killstreaks that you spend hours camping in the corner to earn are all going bye-bye. In their place is a brand new "Momentum System," which rewards you for actively, yet smartly, pushing on objectives and playing as a team. In practice, it's very simple: every time you earn a kill, capture an objective, plant a bomb, or do anything to help your team's cause, you gain points to fill your momentum meter. When your meter reaches key points, you can choose to "cash in" your meter for one of those precious bonuses, like a UAV, Sentry Gun, or the dreaded Chopper Gunner. But be careful: cashing in your meter will cause you to "spend" all of the points you've currently accumulated, bringing you back down to zero. So you'll have to decide if you think that a UAV now is better than a possible Predator Missile later.

Lest you think this isn't fair when compared to the old system, wait until you hear this: getting killed will no longer reset your streak. That's right. If you die, your momentum will not be reset to zero under most circumstances (Bowling tells us that suicides or teamkills in Hardcore modes will reset the meter to zero). Rather, you'll incur a penalty to your meter. We pressing Bowling to tell us exactly how much you would lose, but all he would say was "it depends." Apparently they have some super-secret formula which takes into account what exactly you were doing when you died. For example, getting killed while running around in the open would cause a greater loss than getting killed while pressing on an objective.

Speaking of deaths, we were also very excited to learn about the new "Noble Sacrifice" accolade, which rewards players who risk their lives to complete objectives. Said Bowling: "We noticed that many players wouldn't play aggressively because death is such a huge punishment in this game; the new 'Noble Sacrifice' award takes this away." Simply put, if you and two teammates work on capturing a flag in Domination, but you get killed while trying to grab it, as long as that flag is captured for your team, you will get a "Noble Sacrifice" message and won't incur a loss of momentum. This works in all objective based modes, and will hopefully encourage the more cowardly of you to actually put yourselves on the line for your team.

But this brings us to the biggest change in the new system: Team Momentum. Not only will each player have an individual momentum, but so will each team. This momentum will swing back and forth as the match progresses based on how well each team is doing relative to the other. If the bar swings too far in one direction, one of the more devastating momentum bonuses will be automatically released. Yes, you guessed it: the dreaded "Tactical Nuke." In fact, the nuke is no longer an individual reward. It can only be earned by the team as a whole and serves as a sort of "Mercy Rule" for those highly lopsided matches. "We always viewed the nuke as a sort of mercy rule anyway," Bowling told us, "and we were very disappointed to see the way that the community reacted to its inclusion. With this new system, we feel that the tactical nuke will fit more naturally into the flow of the game."

We got to go hands-on with the new system in an exclusive event held only for GGM, and we walked away incredibly impressed. While Team Deathmatch games felt almost identical (and, in fact, are essentially unchanged), the objective-based games felt like new life had been breathed into them. Personally, I was overjoyed by the newfound usefulness of the Riot Shield, as using it properly can now actually earn those precious bonuses we've all come to love. This feels like an entirely new game, one with a greater sense of camaraderie and teamwork. Obviously, the true test of this update will be when it releases next month to the incredibly vocal and picky Modern Warfare community, but the general consensus around the office is that we're sold on it.

Be sure to check out our video section for exclusive footage of the new system in action.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
man I suck so bad I can't even use the aim assist, no wonder I get owned so often. I usually press LT and then start to aim, because I feel like I get more control I guess. Like I'll go into aim-mode before rounding a corner. Bad habits maybe. I can't even use the auto aim in solo player very well. Hitting the targets on that assault course thing does my head in :lol

maybe I should try to get used to positioning my aim at the right heights and then strafing to aim.

I've taken to playing sabotage lately. I think the game really benefits from having clear targets and a slight pause in between respawns. Think it encourages team work more than domination as well. But a major downside is you get jerks who are only interested in dragging out the game in order to get their kills. No interest in doing the objectives at all. One guy on highrise even took the bomb to the top of the crane in highrise so no one could possibly grab it. I get really annoyed with people who play solely to improve their standing. You're supposed to enjoy playing the actual game and that involves the various modes, the teamwork dynamics, mastering the guns and trying to win.

But instead people are OBSESSED with ranking up and levelling everything up. They play to rank up whereas people like me rank up to play. One guy lost and at the end he was like "haha I got 80 kills!". Felt like calling him a fucking loser. When you get stuck in a game like that you just want to get it over with but you don't want to quit and it ends up going on forever.

Might have to switch to a hardcore mode or something. It feels like 9 out of 10 people don't give a flying fuck about winning or losing and in a team based game I hope IW see this as a serious problem.

codecow

RubxQub said:
I think Duece got it right.

Deathmatch games should be Kill/Death oriented while objective games should be score oriented.

I disagree, however, that a person going 3-0 is better than a guy going 17-14.

The 3 and 0 guy isn't doing anything...he could be replaced with someone else who actually plans on playing the game. The 17 and 14 guy helped push our team to victory much faster. In a close game, the 3 and 0 guy isn't going to be the game-changer and potentially win the team the match, it's going to be the 17 and 14 guy who goes out there and pushes his team across the finish line before the other team, netting the win.

...I don't know, I loathe people who think this game is about hiding and camping and not contributing.

Yeah 3-0 for an entire match is pretty crap. I mean there is some middle ground there, I think the middle ground occurs when you get to a score of around 1000 (with no caps) in Domination. Of course you get more score for shooting guys on or from a node, so basically if you cap 10 dudes on a node IMO you helped your team enough.

My favorite maps in the game are ones where I can move not a lot but hit two node spots, and my favorite mode is Domination. TDM I find to be a bit too random, I like knowing where people are going to be and where good places are to shoot at them. TDM has this a bit, but often I find I do better if I have less of a plan and play more free flow. I like the strategy aspect a bit more.

Edit: I also like Demolition a lot for the same reasons. BTW when I started the game I was really terrible so I'd be one of the guys who disarmed and planted a lot and died all the time. It wasn't fun compared to the fun I am having now owning people.

codecow

kaizoku said:
Might have to switch to a hardcore mode or something. It feels like 9 out of 10 people don't give a flying fuck about winning or losing and in a team based game I hope IW see this as a serious problem.

I prefer winning but only because it means my team is better which means I am less likely to get shot in the back or side. If not for that, I actually wouldn't care since I am more interested in improving K/D and getting titles for my guns than W/L or my level.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
divisionbyzorro said:
Would this be better?

sounds awesome, is that an onion style joke?

am I the only person in the world playing this who has no idea what my K/D ratio is? I have never looked, don't even know where to find it. Don't see why it matters really. I can see why emblems and rank matter, prestiging is prestigious etc. but ratios, stats and being nerdy about things just breaks what we liked about the game in the first place. You migt as well go play an MMORPG.

codecow

kaizoku said:
sounds awesome, is that an onion style joke?

am I the only person in the world playing this who has no idea what my K/D ratio is? I have never looked, don't even know where to find it. Don't see why it matters really. I can see why emblems and rank matter, prestiging is prestigious etc. but ratios, stats and being nerdy about things just breaks what we liked about the game in the first place. You migt as well go play an MMORPG.

This stat shows up on Leaderboards->Kills. When I first got the game I had never played MP in any of the other CoD games so I was computing it in my head until I noticed they did it for me.

And yes, I like playing MMORPGs :D

Top Bottom