• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Shinjiru

CrazedArabMan said:
C and C's, lol

That's where my brother picked up this and ODST early, only a 30 minute drive when I'm at home and not up at college.

Yeah, I have picked up a few games from C&C Fremont - Uncharted 2 being the most recent. It's about a 30 minute drive from me (Huron, OH) as well.

I`m anxious to see the mainstream media reaction to this game.
If the game is capable of disturbing or offending seasoned gamers, non-gamers are going to be horrified or incensed. It`s gunna get nasty and I can already smell the fucking righteous crusaders that are gunna crawl out of the woodwork. Hilary Clinton is against violence in video games, BTW, so I wouldnt be surprised if the fucking Obama administration threw in its two cents on MW2.:lol
Republican politicians will be livid of course.

chubigans said:
More comparison pics (some are the worst comparisons I've seen in a while :lol )

they say they made a mistake with the PS3 grabbing and will post new pics on monday.

though honestly I don't expect much.
The first time they got the digital foundry grabber, the guy responsible put more effort into it, but the later ones seem to be by people who don't really know how to do it right.

2 basic principles if you want to compare screenshots:

- try to snap the exact frames/scenes for both versions, I know it's hard but e.g. you can simply throw some screenshots from the start of a level in there (= exact same player/camera orientation if you don't touch the pad)
- calibrate the colours, contrast etc. for both consoles (once) so they look the same on the monitor of the grabber. This stuff is not graphic related AT ALL as everyone can calibrate the TV to his or her likings. It will only result in people saying "oh, version x looks worse because it looks too bright" "colours are not as vibrant" etc. (this was actually done right the first time, I especially commend the guy for it so I guess the other comparisons were made by different people)

Shinjiru said:
Yeah, I have picked up a few games from C&C Fremont - Uncharted 2 being the most recent. It's about a 30 minute drive from me (Huron, OH) as well.

I'm actually just on the border in Michigan (I'm up at college, Michigan State right now), so it really isn't that bad of a drive when I'm at home, they have a forum too that you can check out, they post updates of what they have in stock, that's how I found out about MW2 and ODST.

ZeroRay

theignoramus said:
If the game is capable of disturbing or offending seasoned gamers, non-gamers are going to be horrified or incensed. It`s gunna get nasty and I can already smell the fucking righteous crusaders that are gunna crawl out of the woodwork. Hilary Clinton is against violence in video games, BTW, so I wouldnt be surprised if the fucking Obama administration threw in its two cents on MW2.:lol

Gonna make hot coffee look like a joke.

Or not since this country is more hostile to sex than violence. :lol

Shinjiru

CrazedArabMan said:
I'm actually just on the border in Michigan (I'm up at college, Michigan State right now), so it really isn't that bad of a drive when I'm at home, they have a forum too that you can check out, they post updates of what they have in stock, that's how I found out about MW2 and ODST.
Cool. I frequent their forums every now and then. That's how I found out about Uncharted 2 also. I basically ran out of my house as soon as they updated the banner with "Uncharted 2 get it here first!!!". I was planning on picking up MW2 there too, but the $20 credit from Amazon was too good to pass up.

Dynamic3

SolidusDave said:
- calibrate the colours, contrast etc. for both consoles (once) so they look the same on the monitor of the grabber. This stuff is not graphic related AT ALL as everyone can calibrate the TV to his or her likings. It will only result in people saying "oh, version x looks worse because it looks too bright" "colours are not as vibrant" etc. (this was actually done right the first time, I especially commend the guy for it so I guess the other comparisons were made by different people)

I know at least the PS3 version is faded, because on my TV it looks that way yet the HUD remains vibrant. I have it set to full color too.

ZZMitch

Dynamic3 said:
I know at least the PS3 version is faded, because on my TV it looks that way yet the HUD remains vibrant. I have it set to full color too.

Well that's too bad. I find it hard to believe that IW would release a game like that with washed out colors...

Rickard said:
Has there not been a media response already?

You know what?

Maybe it's not even coming?
It`s coming. MW2 is the probably gunna set sales record day 1. It will be in the hands of millions of players of all ages and all it will take is some soccer mom or conservative parent yelling about their indignation at the top of their lungs.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Woo-Hoo! MW2 beaten on Veteran Fuck Yeah!

Only Spec-Ops related trophies left (Started Veteran @4PM finished @ 2AM, with a 3 hour break in between)

38/51 Trophies, @70% Completion, gotta wait for my friend to do spec-ops with me, I promised him + he doesnt get it till Tuesday launch =/

Eric WK

Just finished on Veteran. About seven and a half hours all told. I guess that's a touch short, but I only ran into a couple places where I got bogged down and they weren't anywhere near as bad as Call of Duty 4. I'm more than happy to spend seven and a half and not be frustrated rather than spend ten or eleven.

Quality wise, this is a high bar for action games/first person shooters and I don't see how Bad Company 2/GRAW 3/etc. are going to come close. I had huge concerns regarding the story based on spoilers I had seen, but ultimately I completely changed my view. (And no, it wasn't hard to follow - a problem I've had in the past with this series).

But the way this story is presented, both directly to the player and on the surface, is excellent. The themes presented are plain as day, they're pounded into you and it's very, very effective. theignoramus touched on that and he's absolutely right.

Gameplay-wise it's more of the same, refined. The set pieces are great, the variation in pace and style is quite good, etc. If you have a good time playing Infinity Ward's campaigns, you're going to enjoy this. There's nothing terribly innovative as far as gameplay is concerned, though.

And for the final time, there are no more infinitely respawning enemies. Tough spawns and crackshot AI, of course. But they absolutely, without a doubt in my mind, do not infinitely respawn.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
theignoramus said:

I doubt it. The elections already took place for the year.

Thanks for the impression, Eric. I had little doubt this game would deliver but now I'm sure of it. Still can't help shaking my fist when I see you on my friends list playing it, though:lol

AnIco said:
How does it look a good amount better? Looks exactly the same. I only see a difference in contrast, which is down to capture method.

Yep all the difference i can see is the xbox one looks a smidge darker. Looks like iw have done a good job makeing these two version look the same.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
supermackem said:
Yep all the difference i can see is the xbox one looks a smidge darker. Looks like iw have done a good job makeing these two version look the same.
We cannot close this case until we've had the Digital Foundry Face-Off!

Considering the permission Activision has been giving GameStops to go on and sell MW2 because of the Mom and Pop leaks, it wouldn't hurt to call your local stores tomorrow and see if they just decided to start selling it.

NG28

AnEternalEnigma said:
Considering the permission Activision has been giving GameStops to go on and sell MW2 because of the Mom and Pop leaks, it wouldn't hurt to call your local stores tomorrow and see if they just decided to start selling it.

Whoa, where did you hear this?

NG28 said:
Whoa, where did you hear this?

Kotaku had an article Saturday night saying that Activision has been granting permission to GameStops in New York, Pennsylvania, and Ohio to start selling MW2 because of the amount of "mom and pop" stores breaking street date in those areas. And some people have been saying their stores have been saying "fuck it" and selling it anyone who asks.

NG28

Yeah, I decided to check a few pages back and noticed you posted earlier. I live in PA so hopefully I can pick mine up tomorrow, thanks for the heads up.

Dilly

Banned
So, for the people who have played the SP yet.

Is there a guy with a big mustache? I seem to recall every COD had a character who looked like Captain Price in COD4.

Shawsie64

Banned
Im a dirty dirty man and am gonna buy the PC version retail.. I can still use steam features yeah? just my bandwidth this month is a bit low..

SuperÑ

OptionN, ShiftN
FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKK!!!!!!

MW2 freezes my X360 at "Wolverines!" level, RROD is imminent >:mad:

Enosh

Shawsie64 said:
Im a dirty dirty man and am gonna buy the PC version retail.. I can still use steam features yeah?

yeah
:D

Graf Nudu said:
Um, I don't know if I somehow missed it, but is the UAV-jammer perk still there?
You mean "Scrambler - jam enemy radar near you" or "Cold Blooded - undetectable by UAV"?

nib95

Banned
From the very few comparison shots that are actually in exactly the same spot, the visuals seem identical. Though the PS3 version does seem to be lighter/have less contrast and the 360 version appears to have minor blown out white highlights. Would this have anything to do with calibration, or are these frame buffer grabs? because it's very hard to retrieve lost highlights if they are like that from source.

Call_of_Duty_Modern_Warfare_2_PS-1.jpg

Call_of_Duty_Modern_Warfare_2_PS3_v.jpg

nib95 said:
From the very few comparison shots that are actually in exactly the same spot, the visuals seem identical. Though the PS3 version does seem to be lighter/have less contrast and the 360 version appears to have minor blown out white highlights. Would this have anything to do with calibration, or are these frame buffer grabs? because it's very hard to retrieve lost highlights if they are like that from source.

they use the grabbing machine sold by Digital Foundry, these things have their own monitor so it should not be too hard to calibrate the different outputs of the consoles with test images (and if you want to do them 100% exact, take screenshots of this and compare the colours with photoshop etc., then calibrate again). Both inputs are HDMI, don't know the console settings in this case (Full range etc.).
After that, you can see if the contrast differences etc. are really due to the game version (which is IMO not the case most of the time as I don't have to calibrate my HDTV for each game to achieve a good image ;) )

but again, at least wait till Monday as they already said they made a mistake with the PS3 grabs:
http://www.videogameszone.de/?menu=0901&s=thread&bid=3060&tid=8309757&mid=8310179#8310179
"new pics on monday, no change in details but the washed out look will be gone"

Aspiring

Wasnt pumped at all for this game but the closer the release dates get, the more excited i get.

I wonder if CoD Classic will be available to download right away on PSN, or will we wait until Thursday? If its right away, its shows how pathetic HMX are at organising their shit with the whole LEGO Rock Band not exporting bullshit.

snap0212

chapel

Banned
Got the game Saturday morning and played for 3 hours in mp before I had to get some sleep. Woke up 4 hours later and played until I went to work.

This game is even more addictive than mw1. I am loving it a lot. My medium skills from mw1 are showing, and I can usually be in the top 2 or 3 players most of the time.

I am thinking of plowing through sp since mp will be reset soon. Glad I got the game though. Ordered it off of ebay and paid 29 in shipping. Had to wait 2 days, but still worth it.

Top Bottom