• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Sushen

cjelly said:
So is Veteran anywhere near as annoying as previous games?
While it was hard, I didn't think I was cheated like WaW where I got shot on my back out of no where. Veteran mode in COD4 is all about classic shooter mentality: memorize your game and have a perfect run of it. I'm sure many gafers remember the old days of having perfect run in R-Type and such shooting games. No, it's not for everyone, but I got the same kind of vibe from it.

GDJustin said:
It didn't need to be playable. And the player didn't need to play AS
a terrorist.
Both these choices seem to have been made just to be shocking.

Later in the game it's
PRICE that shoots off the nuke - not the player. But that moment still has a large impact
It gave me a better overview of what was happening in the last act and the understanding that
Shepherd was a more dangerous psychopath than Makarov. (who was only really a greedy, vicious thug and pawn for hire)
It adds nothing to the overall package and should have been cut.
It added plenty for me, friend.
Playing through that section the first time, I was disgusted by what i saw and sad at the fact that I couldnt do anything meaningful to stop it. Then I replayed it, intentionally, after I had beaten the campaign and had a better understanding of who was who and what was what, and the hatred I had of a couple of mutts was replaced with a cold chill at the thought of what was really happening. The evil I was seeing felt thicker and perhaps more disturbing.
And I`m not sure why you highlighted your other spoiler as a moment of `large impact`
If that`s what stands out to you in the whole story, then no wander we`re on a different page.

Caddle

If anyone wants the game early here is the number to the store where I made my purchase.718-485-9522 she has a ton of copies Of course this is just for the New York City folks. Anyone familiar with brooklyn, the store is located on pitkin avenue.

X26

Banned
ZZMitch said:
Has anyone got to prestige yet or is there any info on prestiging bonuses?

One guy did, and it was just callsigns, prestige challenges, and emblems I think

You get new bonuses every prestige though

LowParry

Deciding if I want to do the midnight release of this. The Gamestop over where I'm at is dong the midnight lauch but starting at 9PM with the game playing for those who wanna play and free food from Wingers. Hella tempting.

A.R.K

For those with ps3 version:

can someone plz tell me how the setup for MP games is?
Is there a party system? Custom game setup? friend invites?
How is the lag so far? Matchmaking?

I need to convince some friends to buy it so need all the info. Thnx

.nimrod

A.R.K said:

the MP is basically the same as on the 360 feature wise: you can have a party, custom games and send friend invites. the invites are handled through the xmb this time.
of all the games i played, only a few had lag due to the game not being released yet and only few people playing from all over the world. i think it even chose a new host once when the pings were too low.

which brings us to ingame host migration: it works :)

another thing that has changed since cod4 on the ps3 is the mute function. you can now also mute people while you're in the lobby and the game remembers it so you don't have to mute the same player again. you can also now send friend requests to anybody in the lobby

Rickard

I'm probably going to be playing this game offline a lot, so I was wondering, how does the create-a-class/unlock system work in local?

kuYuri

Full Recovery said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0Owdu_BE7A

Looks like I'll be using the FAL. Why did you take out my M14? WHY?

Because the FAL replaces the M14.

A.R.K said:

No offense, but alot of these questions are answered in the OP.

.nimrod

Rickard said:
I'm probably going to be playing this game offline a lot, so I was wondering, how does the create-a-class/unlock system work in local?

you have to create an offline profile for that
haven't done that though, don't know if there are some things different from the online mp

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
And I`m not sure why you highlighted your other spoiler as a moment of `large impact`
If that`s what stands out to you in the whole story, then no wander we`re on a different page.

IW set a scene on the
ISS
just to highlight the fallout (pun semi-intended) of that sequence. I think it's safe to say they intended the moment to be impactful.

DoomGyver

Strider2K99 said:
The M21 is the exact same gun model as the M14. Why not have both? Why not have the option? All they'd have to do is give the M21 its 10 round mag and the M14 its 20 round mag. They could even give the FAL and M14 the same stats, I don't care.

And where is the G36c, Dragonuv, G3, M1911, Scorpion? Why leave these out? Dragonuv and M14 are in spec ops btw.

Rickard

.nimrod said:
you have to create an offline profile for that
haven't done that though, don't know if there are some things different from the online mp

Why would I have to create an offline profile?
Why can't I just use my regular profile?

.nimrod

Rickard said:
Why would I have to create an offline profile?
Why can't I just use my regular profile?

i dunno, maybe because the online ranks/stats/unlocks are stored on IW's servers and loaded each time you go to the online lobby

Strider2K99 said:

No offense, but alot of these questions are answered in the OP.

why would they replace a beautiful looking gun like the m14 with such an ugly rifle like the FAL? -.-

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Got to play the PS3 version at a friends house last night.
The airport scene is very disturbing and intense and ultimately awesome.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
bob_arctor said:
Got to play the PS3 version at a friends house last night.
The airport scene is very disturbing and intense and ultimately awesome.
Same here, I just came home this second. What disturbed me more than that was
the war in America
. It felt tragic as fuck.

Eric WK

Teetris said:
Same here, I just came home this second. What disturbed me more than that was
the war in America
. It felt tragic as fuck.

The part of this that really got me was
going into one of the homes in Arcadia and seeing the TV flickering with the breaking news on. It just rang very true.

I dont agree about the score being all that impressive.
And Hans Zimmer isnt responsible for all of themes, only the main ones I believe. I heard some tracks in there that made me think `how in gods name could a man like Zimmer produce something like this` and it turns out he didnt. He`s only credited for the main themes, just like Harry Gregson williams is only credited for main themes in MW.

Playing through the first game's single-player for the final achievement I never got and to get my skills honed for MW2 on Tuesday. Looking forward to it.

Holy fuck what a crazy story that was.

I kept myself pretty much in the dark besides learning the details of that infamous chapter and I have to say I'm fucking impressed with the single player campaign. It was almost like IW wanted to tell an
MGS
in the Call of Duty universe. That's pretty insane to me.

When that fourth chapter starts and the title
Wolverines!
pops up I still wasn't expecting what eventually turned into a giant mother fucking
invasion of the Eastern part of the United States
complete with all the trimmings and visuals you'd expect from a gunfight in
small town US
and
Washington DC
. That was some pretty fucking insane shit! I actually found myself giving a damn about these characters.

I still think they need to refrain from trying to tell little details of the story during actual gameplay as I find myself not picking up on them.

Still, this is a fantastic single player game and I'm also loving what I've played of the multi so far.

This really was a
Metal Gear Solid
style story without all the ridiculous melodrama and shitty dialogue. I'm not saying the dialogue was great but it was appropriate.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
ZROCOOL said:
Hmmm.. I just might go back to fye to pick up that ps3 prestige bundle.

I got a look at the googles today while doing shipment. I didn't open the package of course, but they look pretty cheap. =/

Violater

m,browser_fullscreen

Cancels preorder
This some kinda joke?

Calen

Violater said:
m,browser_fullscreen

Cancels preorder
This some kinda joke?
Looks like he doesn't have the full RGB range configured on his PS3. Game doesn't look nearly that washed out and "compressed" on my PS3 at home.

Klyka

Banned
Violater said:
m,browser_fullscreen

Cancels preorder
This some kinda joke?

They are not showing the exact same spots, the PS3 shot just has a bad angle for the lighting and is a very flat surface.
If you cancel your preorder over this, I weep for you.

Top Bottom