• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Ramirez

I agree with most of those points...

I'm pretty sure that my main beef with the game is about how it really has nothing to do with gun fights anymore and is more about killstreaks and making the most idiotic classes you can think of.

The countless bad spawns into killstreaks and lightweighting knivers/shotgunners just completely ruin the game for me.

Ovid

VaLiancY said:
Take out Commando and I'll be happy and after that I'd pray if you could change your FoV in this game.
Why do people bitch about Commando. If everyone uses it you'll be on an even playing field.

wud

Neo Member
tarius1210 said:
Why do people bitch about Commando. If everyone uses it you'll be on an even playing field.

someone uses the model 1887s bling on you? use them yourself

someone doing the infinite carepackage glitch? use it yourself

someone putting sentry guns inside geometry? do it yourself

sorry but its a stupid fucking mentality to fall into. They need to remove commando, it is utter bullshit. That huge list posted a page ago is all true

Ramirez said:
I agree with most of those points...

I'm pretty sure that my main beef with the game is about how it really has nothing to do with gun fights anymore and is more about killstreaks and making the most idiotic classes you can think of.

The countless bad spawns into killstreaks and lightweighting knivers/shotgunners just completely ruin the game for me.
This, exactly this. I wish that there was a playlist that eliminated killstreaks (or at the very least limited them to UAV and Counter UAV) and made the game about gun fights, you know, real skill as opposed to the bullshit that goes on in this game.

I know many people have mentioned this before, but I sometimes love when people use the Scrambler perk. Kept killing the same guy over and over until he left hehe.:D

VaLiancY

tarius1210 said:

Because it's unbalanced? I don't see how you can dart across five feet and kill someone with a knife. I have a lot of issues with this game, it is enjoyable but it could have been a lot better without the killstreak whoring and plethora of other balance issues.

ultim8p00

Banned
wud said:
someone uses the model 1887s bling on you? use them yourself

someone doing the infinite carepackage glitch? use it yourself

someone putting sentry guns inside geometry? do it yourself

sorry but its a stupid fucking mentality to fall into. They need to remove commando, it is utter bullshit. That huge list posted a page ago is all true

Fuck no. Why the hell would you even suggest that? They should just reduce the knife distance. Taking out commando entirely is dumb. I love using commando to jump out of buildings and get away.

UFRA

eternaLightness said:
I know many people have mentioned this before, but I sometimes love when people use the Scrambler perk. Kept killing the same guy over and over until he left hehe.:D

Yup, true lol.

When I first got the game, I was like "wow, what a cool perk!". Then, I quickly moved on to something else when I realized that it does more damage than help. Everytime my radar starts to get fuzzy, I immediately start searching the area and almost always find the guy using it.

It's just like a big arrow over his head saying "OH PICK ME, PICK ME!! I'M RIGHT IN THIS AREA!!" :lol

VaLiancY said:
Because it's unbalanced? I don't see how you can dart across five feet and kill someone with a knife. I have a lot of issues with this game, it is enjoyable but it could have been a lot better without the killstreak whoring and plethora of other balance issues.
That's not even the thing that bothers me the most. What bothers me is the fact that people who use commando are often invincible when they're in the act of lunging to kill you. I can't tell you how many times I've shot what should have been a kill shot at a lunging enemy and it's just gone right through him and I die. It's not fair. It's not fun.

I noticed that if you have a OMA class, you can switch the pack with a dropped weapon by:
1) Standing over a weapon
2) Pressing the weapon switch button
3) immediately press and hold the reload button

Does anyone know if this was a glitch or deliberate?

VaLiancY

backflip10019 said:
That's not even the thing that bothers me the most. What bothers me is the fact that people who use commando are often invincible when they're in the act of lunging to kill you. I can't tell you how many times I've shot what should have been a kill shot at a lunging enemy and it's just gone right through him and I die. It's not fair. It's not fun.

That's happen to me a lot. I'm cautious about turning a corner with my automatic shotgun, I get off two blast and I see my killcam thinking to myself "How did he/she live two point blank AA-12 shots?". Shit like that diminishes my enjoyment with this game.

eek5

backflip10019 said:
They aren't really invincible as they are moving at supersonic speed through that 5 meters. It's possible to kill them using one hit kill weapons but most guns don't have the rate of fire required to put 100 damage into them even with stopping power in time (especially unreliably from the hip)

If you've ever knifed before you've probably experienced your screen going red after knifing someone.

Of course latency makes this even more of a mess because it's possible that you get killed by the knife attack before you even see it which means your shots were meaningless anyway but I guess it works both ways.

You can always sidestep knife attacks, hip fire and hope for the best, or hip fire shotguns. I have found all three techniques to be very effective against knifers because both of the attacks will outrange a knife lunge easily giving you enough time to kill them before they begin their warp towards you.

Fireforge_98

Neo Member
Just a random thought about the complaints regarding 'knifing'...in real life if you're within 3 feet of someone and they are trying to kill you you are better off with a knife then an assualt rifle.

I think a lot of people don't realize there is a reason why you have primary, secondary, and a knife...they are for different scenarios. There are times when you shouldn't be using your primary.

Najaf said:
I paid 60 dollars for Oblivion and got a bug ridden piece entertainment that was among the most enjoyable experiences of this generation. MW2 is, overall, an amazingly polished game. The multiplayer is exceptional compared to most similar products out there. This is displayed when looking at the core mechanics such as hit detection (I'm looking at you battlefield) and map design.

MW2, like every game, has issues. However, MW2 separates itself from the pack on so many levels that at this point, it is as if people are complaining of the taxes they need to pay after winning the lottery.

in canada you dont pay taxes on winnings....

eek5

Fireforge_98 said:
Just a random thought about the complaints regarding 'knifing'...in real life if you're within 3 feet of someone and they are trying to kill you you are better off with a knife then an assualt rifle.

I think a lot of people don't realize there is a reason why you have primary, secondary, and a knife...they are for different scenarios. There are times when you shouldn't be using your primary.
I think the problem is commando is good out to about 16 feet. :lol

ultim8p00

Banned
Fireforge_98 said:

If you are within 3 feet from me and I already have a shotgun pointed at you and I shoot you in the face, I think you'll probably miss that stab. Plus the knifing happens at like 10 to 15 feet away. The person practically teleports towards you.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Fireforge_98 said:

Actually, I've read research that concluded a knife is better than a gun even out to 20 feet. Even a trained police officer will have a difficult time getting a shot off against a knife-wielding person if their weapon is holstered.

backflip10019 said:

It is fair, because without ninja, you should have heard him coming and killed him before he even knew where you are. Your heartbeat sensor should bleep him before he gets to you. Without sit-rep, he couldn't see your claymore. Commando IS a balanced PERK. It isn't free. It's a perk. It's a pro and a sacrifice. If they lunged, you lose. You kill them before they lunge, you win. Your team of 6 should have your spawn on lock and now they're good as dead.
I said this once and i'll say it again...this game is WAY more friendly to the camper than the runner. If you're having issues with runners then you need to play the game more and put on some headphones or something. Find a crew to play with so you can get lock down the map. Learn these god awful bog-like unbalanced maps that have so many overpowered vantage points/sneaky spots that the runner won't even have a chance. The game will stop being entertaining and you'll feel dirty but you'll win and be playing the game IW designed...at least that's how it seems to me.

How many times do you really see the runner/knifer class person go positive? I don't ever see it unless I'm playing mercanaries and even still usually they go 10 and 15 or something.

wud

Neo Member
divisionbyzorro said:
Why are we complaining about realism in a game where you get all your health back by hiding for ten seconds? :lol :lol

We're not complaining about realism, we're complaining about unbalanced broken bullshit

eek5

Mr. B Natural said:
It is fair, because without ninja, you should have heard him coming and killed him before he even knew where you are. Your heartbeat sensor should bleep him before he gets to you. Without sit-rep, he couldn't see your claymore. Commando IS a balanced PERK. It isn't free. It's a perk. It's a pro and a sacrifice. If they lunged, you lose. You kill them before they lunge, you win. Your team of 6 should have your spawn on lock and now they're good as dead.
I said this once and i'll say it again...this game is WAY more friendly to the camper than the runner. If you're having issues with runners then you need to play the game more and put on some headphones or something. Find a crew to play with so you can get lock down the map. Learn these god awful bog-like unbalanced maps that have so many overpowered vantage points/sneaky spots that the runner won't even have a chance. The game will stop being entertaining and you'll feel dirty but you'll win and be playing the game IW designed...at least that's how it seems to me.

How many times do you really see the runner/knifer class person go positive? I don't ever see it unless I'm playing mercanaries and even still usually they go 10 and 15 or something.

Most of the time when I see knifers they will go +2-5 at best. I hip fire my F2000 at close range though so they have little chance against me since I'm always moving and checking my 6. :D

wud said:
We're not complaining about realism, we're complaining about unbalanced broken bullshit

Complain about infinite care packages then. That is way more broken than any of the gameplay stuff listed on the last page.

ultim8p00

Banned
RSTEIN said:
Actually, I've read research that concluded a knife is better than a gun even out to 20 feet. Even a trained police officer will have a difficult time getting a shot off against a knife-wielding person if their weapon is holstered.

With a shotgun?

kaizoku said:
the game plays brilliantly and the niggley problems people document have not been that much of a nuisance, for me anyway. Its not like its a lackadaisical product like GTA4, now THAT's what you call a shoddy poorly designed game.

LOL

jiien said:
Yeah, it's cool man, I didn't mean to target you specifically in what I was saying, just speaking generally. Yeah, it is a frustrating thing to encounter, and a team full of people that are really good at it is a rage-inducing experience.

Meh, not worth getting uppity about it though. The more I play, the better I get, and I learn how to counter those kinds of players. Just takes practice.

Thats the thing, all the practise in the world isnt going to stop the situations where the game is dead because everyones camping - I get uppity when I want to play slayer and end up playing hide and seek instead :lol

As for the knifing thing, Ive heard that you get a few frames of invincibility when you commando lunge, that would explain the situations of shooting someone in the chest while they knife you.

Fugu

Najaf said:
I paid 60 dollars for Oblivion and got a bug ridden piece entertainment that was among the most enjoyable experiences of this generation. MW2 is, overall, an amazingly polished game. The multiplayer is exceptional compared to most similar products out there. This is displayed when looking at the core mechanics such as hit detection (I'm looking at you battlefield) and map design.

MW2, like every game, has issues. However, MW2 separates itself from the pack on so many levels that at this point, it is as if people are complaining of the taxes they need to pay after winning the lottery.
Yeah, Oblivion was a bug-ridden mess, but it was a single-player bug-ridden mess. There's less concern with balance in a single-player game because the only restriction on how broken the player would like the game to be is the one they place on themselves. I wouldn't define a game that has seen its player base hop from one exploitable weapon to another as IW sluggishly fixes the ones that get the most complaining about a polished game.

eek5

Fugu said:
- Turrets can still be placed in walls on many levels (Underpass).
These need to be fixed (and it looks like they are) but I haven't seen any instances of it in 1300+ games

- Akimbo G18s are bizarre (I'm told this is exclusive to the PC).

The G18 hip spread isn't any larger (in fact it may be a bit tighter) on akimbo versus a single one. This probably needs to be addressed although it is a lot more "broken" on PC since recoil is more controllable.

- Commando has a ton of invincibility frames that I doubt were intentional.

http://denkirson.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=853

Not really. To quote Den:

If you don't get a hit indicator, then he wasn't hit.
The MeleeChargeDelay is only about 0.15 seconds and will pull the player at extremely high speeds to get him on-target in that brief fraction of a second.
At best, you can only get two shots in that timeframe with anything except akimbo glocks.

- OMA Tube takes away the weapon's biggest weakness. If this was intentional, it's extremely bad for play balance. If this was unintentional, why the hell haven't they fixed it yet?

You can do the same thing with scavenger and even faster if the room is littered with blue bags. You still have to change kits every time. I'm going with 100% intentional

- Attack Choppers are vastly underpowered and their AI makes them almost completely useless. When harriers, also a seven kill streak, pick up more kills in their "chopper" phase than the legit chopper does, there's something wrong.

Attack choppers move around the map making them a bit more difficult to target. Their low attack power also gives them less of a threat level. When a harrier comes in it is almost shot down in a match with good players but they'll usually let the attack chopper roam around for the full duration. Its weakness is almost its biggest strength.

- The pave low killstreak bug has gone unnoticed since the game came out (Pave Low kills gotten in killstreak form only add to your killstreak some of the time, whereas Pave Lows out of care packages always do).
I think it's something like the Pavelow kills don't count unless someone on your team has already launched a pavelow. This needs to be fixed though as well as sentry adding to kill streak.

- Glass has as much health as a person (and they have more than three times as much health as a person on hardcore).
not sure how this is a bug?

- The Holographic Sight is bugged on an overwhelming amount of weapons, most notably the FAL (the holographic sight on the FAL makes it lose its range penalty, so all shots do maximum damage).

Not true. The damage still drops down but only to 40 instead of 35. No other guns have damage boost and I don't see how this is remotely broken.

- There's a large disparity (depending on the gun) between the HUD and what gun the game considers you to have equipped when you are switching guns. If you switch guns and try and pick up another while you're loading the gun you switched to, instead of replacing the gun you have equipped (and the gun the HUD says you have equipped), it replaces the one you switched from. This is most notable in laggy games and it also leads to a lot of weird reload problems.

haven't had this problem

- Several guns reload before their animations suggest they do. This isn't really a bad thing but it's exploitable (not as much as it was in CoD4, though).

All the guns have addtimes shorter than their reload animation. They also make a click when they are reloading (or you can see the ammo bar). I don't consider reload canceling to be particularly broken, in fact I was reload canceling since COD4 and didn't even realize it. :)

- Throwing knives are almost useless.
Not really. What do you want them to do? Make the hitbox bigger for them? It takes quite a bit of aiming to use throwing knives but useless is hardly a word I would use to describe them. They'll drop a knifer in his tracks.

- Claymores can be dropped in a straight vertical line from a tremendous distance on certain surfaces (to try this, go on the roof of highrise, face to the right of the map, walk as far to the left as you can go without falling off of the building, and drop a claymore).

This is minor and not exploitable really. I don't see how this could give you an advantage versus say placing a claymore smartly somewhere.

- Last stand has invincibility frames and final stand has frames where you can be shot but you can't do anything back.
Most annoying when you're shotgunning people or sniping them. This will never get addressed imo.

- Danger Close gives claymores a shotgun-like effect by which they kill you instantly from a certain range and then stop doing damage completely an inch later.
All explosives have a blast radius. Danger close increases the damage in the radius but not the radius. You're really reaching to make the list longer imo.

- The blast shield is completely worthless.
In HC? Yes. In Core it can help a lot especially if you are shielding.

- The riot shield is fun but not viable; the melee should have increased damage (not a one-hit kill but I believe it only does 50 right now) and stack with stopping power, but should not stack with commando.
What's the point of doing 60 70 80 90 or 99 damage? It will still take two hits to kill someone with it. Stopping power is for bullets not melee so that makes little sense. If you want to complain about being sniped in the toe though, that's a different story.

- Whether this is a bug or not I don't know, but an iota of guns have ACOGs that don't sway.
not a bug

- The AK sways with nothing equipped (again, I don't know if this is a bug or not).
not a bug

- The chopper gunner's bullets don't correspond at all with where it's actually shooting.
That's because they bounce

- Giving the AC130 a turning radius means two things. One, aiming close to its center causes it to go really wonky and causes the screen to start panning like mad. Two, on larger maps, it is possible to stand on the side of maps and become impossible to be hit due to the combination of the AI and the limited radius. Also, the MG is useless unless the person you're shooting at is AFK.
The AC130 isn't as good as the chopper gunner, that's for sure. Considering the amount of flares increasing AC130 duration would just make people complain more though. :)

- The matchmaking system will sometimes make 7v5 games.

This is extremely rare and the game has never started with 7v5 in my experience.

Mileena

Banned
I love how PS3 host migration works like 1/5 times.

and also, Commando is a broken piece of shit. Fuck the knife class, shit is filled with scrub players that can't aim a gun.

wud

Neo Member
fetching playlists? you've been fetching them for the past fucking half an hour

my ps3 is given priority by my router

all the ports are open

its a wired 8mb connection

there is no firewall

Why does this shit always happen?

shermas

after a shitty early session on 360, i FINALLY got into a match with 4 bars and started to play well again. it's a shame they don't do local matchmaking... to me, that's the single biggest issue with the game. the difference, for me, between 3 and 4 bars is huge.

i find myself almost unable to play the game when i'm consistently stuck in a 2 or 3 bar match.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Fucking aye.

Almost every game I've been in, someone has been using the care package glitch =/.

Garjon

The thing with MW2 is that I'll go on periods where I absolutely despise everything about it - the lag, the exploits and so on. Despite all of this however, every now and then I'll get into playlists where people will actually go for the objectives and not just camp, Noobtubing will be at a low and all of the good maps will show up in the rotation.

Not to mention, it is immensely addictive.
Kholdstare101 said:
Eh. Not sure if this is known or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9xp0fzEGMA&

What the hell IW? :lol
What is that?? No wonder you hear of people trying to shoot down air support with shotguns :O

jiien

You know what this game needs? I'd love for people to be able to give their arrow icons on the minimap a unique color. You'd only see that color if the person was in your party (so non party members would still appear to be green arrows on your team, and enemies are still red dots), but this would be awesome as far as calling out locations and identifying friends. So many times, when I'm playing with four or five friends, I don't know who is who, so when I want to warn them that I just saw someone running behind them, I either get the name wrong, or attempt to describe/name the location. If everyone could have custom colors, that would be so kickass.

But I guess the bugs/glitches/hacks are more important :(

GarJon said:
The thing with MW2 is that I'll go on periods where I absolutely despise everything about it - the lag, the exploits and so on. Despite all of this however, every now and then I'll get into playlists where people will actually go for the objectives and not just camp, Noobtubing will be at a low and all of the good maps will show up in the rotation.

Not to mention, it is immensely addictive.

What is that?? No wonder you hear of people trying to shoot down air support with shotguns :O

Posted a page or two ago

i love how when you set the bomb in demolition, if you drop a claymore right after, the laptop opens again as you are running away, effectively blinding you from the dude standing right in front of you with a shotgun.

i find all the flaws and glitches funny though, i still love this game.

mr_boo

eek5 said:
What's the point of doing 60 70 80 90 or 99 damage? It will still take two hits to kill someone with it. Stopping power is for bullets not melee so that makes little sense. If you want to complain about being sniped in the toe though, that's a different story.
I never understood this rationale. If the logic is "it makes no difference", than why not increase the damage? Seems to me that collateral damage is often over-looked.

Griffith

Banned
I've been loving the claymore with scavenger recently. I must have gotten 6 kills in a row with it just by continuing to place it in the same spot over and over again in demolition on terminal inside the plane. I couldn't believe people continued to walk into it again and again.

UFRA

wud said:
fetching playlists? you've been fetching them for the past fucking half an hour

my ps3 is given priority by my router

all the ports are open

its a wired 8mb connection

there is no firewall

Why does this shit always happen?

Karma.

FabCam

boredofcanada said:
i love how when you set the bomb in demolition, if you drop a claymore right after, the laptop opens again as you are running away, effectively blinding you from the dude standing right in front of you with a shotgun.

i find all the flaws and glitches funny though, i still love this game.

This happens in S&D too. So annoying as the laptop fills the screen and you can't see shit while you're trying to run and find a good place to camp.

jiien

FabCam said:
This happens in S&D too. So annoying as the laptop fills the screen and you can't see shit while you're trying to run and find a good place to camp.

You can knife as you're pulling out the laptop though. As soon as the counter or killstreak starts, you can no longer do something, but I've actually started pulling out the laptop and knifed a guy before it fully came up. Perhaps it's a bug? But it was cool.

I find it's just best to find some sort of corner, and lay down prone. As long as you don't move, people tend not to see you, or run right past you. When I'm in a rush, I just prone wherever I am, but I still rarely get killed if I'm actually looking for a corner or hill or something.

Top Bottom