• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Cornbread78

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by Cornbread78:
yup, the glitches and care package crap have pretty much done me in.... I can't wait until KZ3 and R3....

Cool Story Bro, I'll assume this is your last post in the thread then?

probably not..... No other good shooters out yet, LOL

Najaf

wud said:
decided to start watching killcams for once

i hate this game even more now :lol

Yeah, I made that mistake a while ago. I must admit, I do love hc/tdm simply because I am not exposed to that. Seeing one thing on your screen, then seeing something entirely different on a killcam, is pretty frustrating.

I make a habit of not watching them now unless I have no idea where my killer was.

wud

Neo Member
andycapps said:
And yeah, search and destroy is awesome if you have a good team. Most of my friends from here just do demolition though or team deathmatch. Occasionally some domination. Search and destroy is not something you can just play once or twice though and get good at it. You have to know the maps inside and out and know exactly where to go and where other players tend to go.

Exactly, its fun to play to demolition and stuff when theres only a couple people around, but search and destroy makes you appreciate the maps and teamwork. Think its the only bit of COD4 decency left in this game :lol

also im stuck on the fetching playlists thing and keep getting signed out of psn now, fucking brilliant

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
TheSeks said:
Also: :lol @ Infinite Care Packages. Useful, I guess for the Harrier/Chopper Gunner/etc. kills, but it doesn't further your streak so it's pointless.
But it can still get you a shitload of free kills, so it's not really pointless at all. Personally, I couldn't care less about how I get kills, just as long as I get a lot of them. I don't have the nuke equipped, so I suppose I just don't have the mindset of a nuke hunter.

andycapps

Cornbread78 said:
probably not..... No other good shooters out yet, LOL

Well since you listed KZ3 and R3.. if you only have a PS3 there is also Uncharted 2 which is great online, as well as Resistance 2 and Killzone 2.. Also the MAG beta is huge and has a lot of Gaffers on there. Obviously Socom and Warhawk. So there are other options.

Najaf said:
Yeah, I made that mistake a while ago. I must admit, I do love hc/tdm simply because I am not exposed to that. Seeing one thing on your screen, then seeing something entirely different on a killcam, is pretty frustrating.

I make a habit of not watching them now unless I have no idea where my killer was.

But if you watch the killcams, you can see where all of their teammates are!

EliCash

I read about the infinite care package glitch on this thinking that I would come across one or two people doing it. But nah, had about 6 or 7 games there and all I fucking heard was "friendly care package incoming" or "enemy care package incoming" all the time. Pretty much 2 or 3 people doing it every match.

I tried the glitch to see how easy it is and it is way too easy to do. Although, I didn't actually throw the second care package since I'm nice :)

Its pretty much ruined the game.

Boo this shit.

shermas

i just tried the care package glitch and i couldn't get it to work... hit a, tapped right on the controller twice, threw my flare, picked it up and that was it. didn't have another package ready to go. wonder what i did wrong?

i'm not a big cheeser or anything, just wanted to see if it was easy to do.

shermas said:
i just tried the care package glitch and i couldn't get it to work... hit a, tapped right on the controller twice, threw my flare, picked it up and that was it. didn't have another package ready to go. wonder what i did wrong?

i'm not a big cheeser or anything, just wanted to see if it was easy to do.

You gotta do it while mantling an object. Never tried it myself, so I don't know the timing tho.

shermas

divisionbyzorro said:
You gotta do it while mantling an object. Never tried it myself, so I don't know the timing tho.

yeah, that's what i tried... i tried three different times, all on quarry. i hit a to climb over something but couldn't get it to work. no biggie... back to playing without a care package killstreak reward for me.

Kyoufu said:
Is the multiplayer really that bad? Friend of mine tells me its horribly unbalanced with people running around Commando/Marathon specced. Is this worth getting or should I just pass?

don't listen to most of the babies in this thread.

get the game.

it's awesome

shermas said:
yeah, that's what i tried... i tried three different times, all on quarry. i hit a to climb over something but couldn't get it to work. no biggie... back to playing without a care package killstreak reward for me.
Did you tap twice on the directional pad and not the joystiq? Dont know why it wouldn't work.

bud

I KNIFE SOMEONE, I HEAR THE SQUELCHING SOUND , YET AM I THE ONE WHO GETS KNIFED INSTEAD?! THIS HAPPENS ALL THE TIME. FUCK THIS GAME.

Cornbread78

I think the arrogance of IW is more maddening than anything on these issues. They don't want to fix asnything on it and spend the extra money because they already made their cash for the game.... At least Insomniak tried to fix R2 (and failed unfortunately) and Gorilla definately fixed KZ2. Infinity Ward has not offered the same level of service.

Cornbread78 said:
I think the arrogance of IW is more maddening than anything on these issues. They don't want to fix asnything on it and spend the extra money because they already made their cash for the game.... At least Insomniak tried to fix R2 (and failed unfortunately) and Gorilla definately fixed KZ2. Infinity Ward has not offered the same level of service.

You're absolutely right. Too bad they never fixed the Javelin glitch and the Akimbo 1887s.

KaYotiX

Banned
bud said:
I KNIFE SOMEONE, I HEAR THE SQUELCHING SOUND , YET AM I THE ONE WHO GETS KNIFED INSTEAD?! THIS HAPPENS ALL THE TIME. FUCK THIS GAME.

The best part is when you knife someone but die then you respawn doing the knife animation.....

Cornbread78

You're absolutely right. Too bad they never fixed the Javelin glitch and the Akimbo 1887s.

Javelin Glitch maybe, but did they really fix the 1887? I seam to be getting snipped from a LOOONG ways away with it, still unbalanced IMO.

Cornbread78: Range was fixed on regular akimbo 87s, they missed balancing out the blinged version with FMJ as well. That fix is coming very soon.

jiien said:
Well, call it what you want then, but "camping" in that sense is a perfectly legitimate way to get kills. If you're a fool enough to continually run in his line of sight when you know where he is, then I don't know what to tell you. Moreover, for a teamwork-centric experience (at least for the non-FFA mode, of course), you should have a mic, and should be communicating. Sure, I die to people that frustrate me, because it seems cheap. But that's just because I didn't want to die, and did anyway. Just because he bested me when I didn't think he should have doesn't make make him a "camper" (with the stigma it carries). It just means that I know where he is now, and so do all my teammates as soon as I die, and there are numerous ways to get around someone doing that. At the very least, I know NOT to go there again. It reduces his effectiveness to zero, and makes it such that the six of us can then gang up on the other five members, and therefore theoretically have the advantage.

And seriously, the reason you are staring down that pathway is everything. What is right and wrong is obviously high subjective, especially when people are playing in a way that the game allows for (ie, not hacking, glitching, cheating). Therefore, the reason why someone is staring down that pathway means everything as to the perception other people will have of him. Is he useful to his team? Then fine, you guard that pathway, and I'll learn how to outsmart you. Is he not useful to his team? Then wow, what an idiot.

I don't even like having true campers on my own team. They are useless teammates, and make it such that the people that actually work together have a disadvantage in numbers.

Just so you know, im not someone whining about being killed by campers out of frustration in terms of getting demolished, in the least big headed way possible im actually pretty good at the game and after getting killed once avoid him or actually kill him (unless he's better of course :D, but typically I have the advantage on a player whos staying still). I also dont actually care about my teammates being useful, ranking up is a very personal thing and someone on my team camping just makes me think hes cheap rather than helping me out, the same the other way round, as I said its a legitimate tactical option, just not very fun.

Especially when the entire enemy team camp's you literally cant walk into theyre territory to kill any of them without stepping into a line of fire, and on gametypes like domination if you control both capture points anyway theres no point running at them feeding them killstreaks, the game just becomes VERY frustrating as you try and kill them only for them to spawn near theyre camp spot when your inevitably killed by a team mate or just boring while everyone camps. Dont get me wrong i still go positive against campers but its still a frustrating experiance simply out of the fact im the only one moving about!

Cornbread78

Cornbread78: Range was fixed on regular akimbo 87s, they missed balancing out the blinged version with FMJ as well. That fix is coming very soon.

Really, something to look forward to. Don't get my comments wrong, I love the game, it's just one of the most frustrating online experiences I've even had with all the hacks, glitches, cheats and overall exploitation of them in the game. I guess I miss KZ2, LOL

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
maybe its just me but the bitching in here is getting out of hand :lol newcomers are having second thoughts on buying the game ffs!

from a critique point of view the game is far from broken. frustration comes from internet issues (what game doesn't have lag/latency?), cheap opponents and your own mistakes/lack of skill/bad decision/bad session or what not.

I do get pissed at the game, but I'd get equally pissed off at some Halo dickface running around getting headshots while jumping around like a ninja! fuck him and fuck that crazy shit! :D

People get pissed when things aren't going their way thats all.

usually when I'm getting raped by someone I just find a new lobby if trying to outplay ends up with me getting pissed. Either his connection is making him come out on top everytime or the gulf in skill is just too much for that particular moment. other days I'll play like a monster.

aku:jiki

divisionbyzorro said:
Yeah, they really fixed the Models good. Come now, I'm all for being fair and balanced too but IW are being bitches about this game. Just the fact that their community manager blatantly ignores their own forum, despite making a thread asking for criticisms and ideas for the game (which is what people are posting). He got what he asked for and now he can't be bothered, how lame service is that?

KaYotiX said:
The best part is when you knife someone but die then you respawn doing the knife animation.....
This is 90% of my knifing now. I have no idea what happened, my ping is supposed to be fine, nobody else is lagging much...but knifing almost never works, and I get the ridiculous post-mortem taunt seriously 90% of the time I try. WTF.

Cornbread78

Good points kaizoku, but most people's comments are reflections of their online experiences. I wouldn't want people to pull blinders on and be oblivious to shortcomings or difficulties within the game. I may be new and people may not agree with me at all, but I appreciate the collection of opinions that everyone expresses here and I'm glad it's not always a love fest for the game. But I agree at the same time, it shouldn't be a dump site....

kaizoku said:
maybe its just me but the bitching in here is getting out of hand :lol newcomers are having second thoughts on buying the game ffs!

This game deserves ten times the amount of bitching it actually gets, and ten times fewer sales.

If only one person gets turned off from buying the game this thread has done some good.

SSM25 said:
Yeah, people complain too much about this game, but it's AWESOME.

When you're not hunting for killstreaks, the game is great. If you set your streaks lower, you feel much better about yourself; I'm not kidding. My favorite thing is playing Demolition with UAV/Jammer/Sentry. So much fun!

jiien

bobs99 ... said:
Just so you know, im not someone whining about being killed by campers out of frustration in terms of getting demolished, in the least big headed way possible im actually pretty good at the game and after getting killed once avoid him or actually kill him (unless he's better of course :D, but typically I have the advantage on a player whos staying still). I also dont actually care about my teammates being useful, ranking up is a very personal thing and someone on my team camping just makes me think hes cheap rather than helping me out, the same the other way round, as I said its a legitimate tactical option, just not very fun.

Especially when the entire enemy team camp's you literally cant walk into theyre territory to kill any of them without stepping into a line of fire, and on gametypes like domination if you control both capture points anyway theres no point running at them feeding them killstreaks, the game just becomes VERY frustrating as you try and kill them only for them to spawn near theyre camp spot when your inevitably killed by a team mate or just boring while everyone camps. Dont get me wrong i still go positive against campers but its still a frustrating experiance simply out of the fact im the only one moving about!

Yeah, it's cool man, I didn't mean to target you specifically in what I was saying, just speaking generally. Yeah, it is a frustrating thing to encounter, and a team full of people that are really good at it is a rage-inducing experience.

Meh, not worth getting uppity about it though. The more I play, the better I get, and I learn how to counter those kinds of players. Just takes practice.

clashfan

Another newbee question: What's with all these guys running around with a knife? It's like chickens with their heads chopped off. :lol

Ovid

divisionbyzorro said:
When you're not hunting for killstreaks, the game is great. If you set your streaks lower, you feel much better about yourself; I'm not kidding. My favorite thing is playing Demolition with UAV/Jammer/Sentry. So much fun!
Yup, I found this to be very true. I already completed the End Game challenge and no longer care about getting nukes or Chopper Gunners. UAV>Predator>Harrier and I'm happy.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
cameltoe said:
looks like my account was suspended! Trying to figure out why....

BOOOOOO they dont allow game videos!!

Why don't you just put it up on... Noob Tube

HAHAHAHAHAH I made a funny

Fugu

divisionbyzorro said:
There are two things wrong with this.

One, it took them two months to "fix" the 1887s. I say "fix" because their "fix" consisted of changing the range of the Akimbo 1887s to that of the non-Akimbo 1887s. They were in fact so lazy with this "fix" that they neglected to change the range for FMJ Akimbo 1887s which meant that it subsequently took players about ten minutes to figure out a way around this "fix". They did patch this on PC (after about two weeks), but in patching the 1887s, they somehow managed to completely break the matchmaking system (there's still a very rampant bug that doesn't allow you to host two consecutive games or the game crashes and everyone's kicked from the lobby).

Two, claiming IW is making an effort to fix their broken game based on the fact that they have solved two problems is ignorant of how many problems this game really has.
- Turrets can still be placed in walls on many levels (Underpass).
- Akimbo G18s are bizarre (I'm told this is exclusive to the PC).
- Afghan still has huge collision issues even if you can't blatantly walk off the map anymore (how did QA not notice this?).
- Commando has a ton of invincibility frames that I doubt were intentional.
- OMA Tube takes away the weapon's biggest weakness. If this was intentional, it's extremely bad for play balance. If this was unintentional, why the hell haven't they fixed it yet?
- Attack Choppers are vastly underpowered and their AI makes them almost completely useless. When harriers, also a seven kill streak, pick up more kills in their "chopper" phase than the legit chopper does, there's something wrong.
- The pave low killstreak bug has gone unnoticed since the game came out (Pave Low kills gotten in killstreak form only add to your killstreak some of the time, whereas Pave Lows out of care packages always do).
- Certain... leaves in Favela are indestructible.
- IWNet was ill-conceived when the game launched and barely functional. It was designed with the console gamer playerbase in mind. As such, it's extremely difficult to get a good game in non-peak hours on anything but TDM due to the fact that there simply aren't that many people playing in any given region. It's not like on the X360 where there's probably around a million people online at once (I would guess more); there's 175 000 on at most and around 100 000 actively playing (When I was on last night at 4 AM, TDM Express had 987 people playing on it; needless to say, I couldn't find a game) so unless you live in an extremely well-populated area (hell, I live in Toronto and I can't get a decent game sometimes) you're screwed. The best part is that the last PC patch made shit exponentially worse with the introduction of the aforementioned game-crashing bug that prevents players from hosting two games in a row.
- The disparity between player models and that player's actual ability to shoot is huge; In MW2 your gun and your eyes are at your forehead, resulting in people being able to shoot from behind cover with only the tips of their heads sticking out. This is a major design flaw but it would take a lot to fix and balance so I doubt IW will ever do it.
- EMPs are almost completely useless considering where they're placed on the killstreak list and that they don't work on nukes.
- Care packages have huge collision issues and do enough damage to kill someone regardless of velocity.
- Glass has as much health as a person (and they have more than three times as much health as a person on hardcore).
- The Holographic Sight is bugged on an overwhelming amount of weapons, most notably the FAL (the holographic sight on the FAL makes it lose its range penalty, so all shots do maximum damage).
- Flashbangs don't work like they're supposed to/the game tells you they do on turrets.
- Claymores have a lot of weird foibles, like exploding (but not hurting anyone) when they're knifed. The flashbang effect also doesn't match the animation.
- If a player who has been stuck picks up a new weapon, the semtex will explode but it won't hurt anyone.
- There's a large disparity (depending on the gun) between the HUD and what gun the game considers you to have equipped when you are switching guns. If you switch guns and try and pick up another while you're loading the gun you switched to, instead of replacing the gun you have equipped (and the gun the HUD says you have equipped), it replaces the one you switched from. This is most notable in laggy games and it also leads to a lot of weird reload problems.
- Several guns reload before their animations suggest they do. This isn't really a bad thing but it's exploitable (not as much as it was in CoD4, though).
- Throwing knives are almost useless.
- Claymores can be dropped in a straight vertical line from a tremendous distance on certain surfaces (to try this, go on the roof of highrise, face to the right of the map, walk as far to the left as you can go without falling off of the building, and drop a claymore).
- The announcer will neglect to tell you things if a lot of things happen at once (most notable on Domination). This isn't a big deal but that it wasn't a problem in CoD4 and it is in MW2 is a little funny. This happens with challenges a lot too.
- Last stand has invincibility frames and final stand has frames where you can be shot but you can't do anything back.
- Danger Close gives claymores a shotgun-like effect by which they kill you instantly from a certain range and then stop doing damage completely an inch later.
- The blast shield is completely worthless.
- The riot shield is fun but not viable; the melee should have increased damage (not a one-hit kill but I believe it only does 50 right now) and stack with stopping power, but should not stack with commando.
- Whether this is a bug or not I don't know, but an iota of guns have ACOGs that don't sway.
- Some points -- like B on estate -- can be captured through walls.
- The AK sways with nothing equipped (again, I don't know if this is a bug or not).
- Demolition's two-out-of-three format allows one team to win the match by winning on defense twice but never winning on offense. Not a bug, but extremely poorly thought out.
- The respawns on most game modes are worse than they were before. In domination, the game will frequently spawn you on a point not controlled by you if a point controlled by you has people on it. If you are behind the other team in TDM, it is likely that whoever you kill will respawn behind you (assuming that the majority of your team is not with you). If both points are being bombed in demolition, the game will revert to TDM spawning style and place you in random places. HQ's are the worst: Not only does it frequently split your team's spawns (if, say, the HQ is in the middle), it's also sporadic in its selection of the distance that it spawns you from the HQ. While the 30 second grace period alleviates this somewhat, it doesn't as much as it should because the team inside still has an advantage. Not to mention the fact that the game, in general, doesn't account for what's going on where it wants to spawn you (I think we've all been spawned into a predator missile or tube before) making it hard to place any real weight on kills and deaths.
- The chopper gunner's bullets don't correspond at all with where it's actually shooting.
- Giving the AC130 a turning radius means two things. One, aiming close to its center causes it to go really wonky and causes the screen to start panning like mad. Two, on larger maps, it is possible to stand on the side of maps and become impossible to be hit due to the combination of the AI and the limited radius. Also, the MG is useless unless the person you're shooting at is AFK.
- The matchmaking system will sometimes make 7v5 games.

That's all I can come up with right now. I'm sure if I looked harder I could find more, and I know for a fact that the 360 version has more problems than the PC.

Fugu said:
bitching bitching bitching bitching

Look, I'm not going to go point by point with you. Some of your points are valid, and some are just stupid. No, IW isn't perfect - I'm so glad you took the time to point that out to us. Yes, the game has issues - plenty of them. No, they won't all be fixed. We all get it. But right about the time that it became "cool" to trash Infinity Ward as a developer was about the same time that they stopped giving a shit about what you said.

Najaf

KaYotiX said:

Something I run into all the time is dying while reloading, and then respawning and continuing the reload animation. Of the dozen times it has happened, it has not gotten me killed. But I know the first time I get taken out in the middle of that I'm muting the microphone for obvious reasons.

Fugu

divisionbyzorro said:
Look, I'm not going to go point by point with you. Some of your points are valid, and some are just stupid. No, IW isn't perfect - I'm so glad you took the time to point that out to us. Yes, the game has issues - plenty of them. No, they won't all be fixed. We all get it. But right about the time that it became "cool" to trash Infinity Ward as a developer was about the same time that they stopped giving a shit about what you said.
They aren't "points".
They're problems in the game that IW have neglected to fix. People aren't bashing IW because it's "cool", they're bashing them because some people paid upwards of $70 for a game that would be enjoyable if it worked like it was supposed to and IW is neglecting to address that.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Confidence Man said:
This game deserves ten times the amount of bitching it actually gets, and ten times fewer sales.

If only one person gets turned off from buying the game this thread has done some good.

the hell are you doing in this thread?

the game rocks. It causes me to rage quite often, but so do my favourite sports games and I rage because I care.

the game plays brilliantly and the niggley problems people document have not been that much of a nuisance, for me anyway. Its not like its a lackadaisical product like GTA4, now THAT's what you call a shoddy poorly designed game.

I will easily log 100 hours plus into this game and I still probably wont have accomplished everything.

ps : I just went back to COD4 and finally finished the story mode and played a round of multiplayer. I don't know if its Ps3 vs 360 but it felt a lot worse, the new game is so much more my thing.

Najaf

Fugu said:
They aren't "points".
They're problems in the game that IW have neglected to fix. People aren't bashing IW because it's "cool", they're bashing them because some people paid upwards of $70 for a game that would be enjoyable if it worked like it was supposed to and IW is neglecting to address that.

I paid 60 dollars for Oblivion and got a bug ridden piece entertainment that was among the most enjoyable experiences of this generation. MW2 is, overall, an amazingly polished game. The multiplayer is exceptional compared to most similar products out there. This is displayed when looking at the core mechanics such as hit detection (I'm looking at you battlefield) and map design.

MW2, like every game, has issues. However, MW2 separates itself from the pack on so many levels that at this point, it is as if people are complaining of the taxes they need to pay after winning the lottery.

Top Bottom