• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Nyx

eek5 said:
One way to tell is when you see a bunch of precision airstrikes and attack helicopters being called in since almost no one uses those :lol Played some more matches and about 70-80% of them had people glitching infinite supply crates. Ugh

Had the same last night, it's the last drop for me, this game is going out of the door as soon as Battlefield BC2 is here.

(but ofcourse I'll still play this, as it's as highly addictive as it's annoying)

eek5 said:
You'll see it fail if you can't connect to the new host. I've seen that message when half my party was still in the game but I couldn't connect to the new host. Is your NAT open?

I get the same problem, only everyone is booted back to the lobby, minus 1 player. My NAT is open.

EliCash

eek5 said:
You'll see it fail if you can't connect to the new host. I've seen that message when half my party was still in the game but I couldn't connect to the new host. Is your NAT open?

Yeah, tis.

Mush

Is the CP glitch a problem on all platforms? I'm approaching Nine days of playtime and have never personally seen it on the PS3. Is it 360 only like most of the exploits?

eek5

Mush said:
Is the CP glitch a problem on all platforms? I'm approaching Nine days of playtime and have never personally seen it on the PS3. Is it 360 only like most of the exploits?

Yes. Seems like it was just discovered recently.

Ugh. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DC5bHwMnzw

I realize that with so many people playing the game that glitches are bound to happen, but whoever programmed the killstreak queue should be ashamed of themselves.

Why does MS cert have to take so long? I'm hoping that they can actually just retract their current patch and put this fix into it so we don't have to wait quite so long.

Lince

Banned
of course this game didn't need a beta...

I really hope MS/Sony are charging Activision big time $$$ for each certification, they just cannot encourage publishers to ship broken software and then release a dozen patches after launch.

Nelo Ice

Banned
man ive been playing this way too much and its not helping that im always up from 1-5 am(US) so i can play with my cousin in London :lol

Lince said:

At 2+ months after launch, talking about the lack of a beta is just dumb. A beta isn't going to be more than a 2, maybe 4 weeks. We're past the point where a beta would have stopped the issues we're seeing.

It's also not entirely fair to criticize for most bugs at this point. But you would have thought that after the first care package glitch, the devs would have looked more closely for holes in that part of the code - I know I would have, as a developer by trade myself. You could also have put extra hooks into the code specifically to ensure that it couldn't happen again. So I'm kind of annoyed that this is happening again.

Az

Lince said:

I really hope MS/Sony are charging Activision big time $$$ for each certification, they just cannot encourage publishers to ship broken software and then release a dozen patches after launch.

I just can't understand how COD4 was much better in terms of online. Why did they change the invite system on PS3? It was so easy to invite someone.

Meier

How the f did someone even discover that? I've still yet to see it but then again I never saw anyone do the blow themselves up with the stinger or whatever people talked about before. I am sure I will soon enough though.

Lince

Banned
divisionbyzorro said:
At 2+ months after launch, talking about the lack of a beta is just dumb. A beta isn't going to be more than a 2, maybe 4 weeks. We're past the point where a beta would have stopped the issues we're seeing.

well you know there isn't a fixed period of testing for a beta, I've seen less popular games with multiple betas before launch (Uncharted 2 and MAG)... anyway, finding an issue during said beta(s) could lead the developer not only to fix it for release but to come across or prevent other related issues like the ones we're seeing recently. In my opinion a public beta is like free massive QA for a developer, with both PSN/Live it's so easy and convenient that the only thing I feel "dumb" was Activision/IW deciding they didn't need one. So much confidence and arrogance... just show how naive they are.

TheAzRim said:
I just can't understand how COD4 was much better in terms of online. Why did they change the invite system on PS3? It was so easy to invite someone.

have a look at the way Uncharted 2 multi (a game played by a laughable number of players compared to MW2) manages parties/invites on PS3, it works flawlessly without needing to use the XMB crap, you can even "transfer" the party leadership to whatever party member without having to set up the party again... not to mention host migration never fails. Once again, arrogance and confidence that only lead to embarrassment and annoyance. IW is becoming a second-rate studio to me. Of course they're laughing at this post all the way to the bank :lol

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
IW seems like it has some massive issues with their development process if stuff like this is still slipping through.

...just crazy...

divisionbyzorro said:

I realize that with so many people playing the game that glitches are bound to happen, but whoever programmed the killstreak queue should be ashamed of themselves.

Why does MS cert have to take so long? I'm hoping that they can actually just retract their current patch and put this fix into it so we don't have to wait quite so long.

I cant hear that video, but please don't tell me you just have to have a care package in hand and then jump over an obstacle?

Man, if this catches, it will totally fuck up MP.

URGHH CAN ANYONE MAKE A FPS THAT WORKS ANYMORE AND THATS BALANCED!!!

ARGHHH Tried to play something different to calm my rage, went into 3RD person Tactical, it was deathmatch, the score was 1700 to 600, the 6 kills all coming from me only, we were down a person because they decided to quit right before the match and my team just couldn't even get a kill, a bit later I started beasting on the campers, got some killstreakw going, comeback time, down by 2 kills than HOST MIGRATION SCREEN SHOWS UP and kicks me out. RAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGEEEE

FIX THIS SHIT GUERILLA.

tried to go back to KZ2 and I forgot how more fucked that game is, at least I was able to finish a game :p

So yeah, I am done, and going to wait for the next thing.

Lince

Banned
MarkMclovin said:
I cant hear that video, but please don't tell me you just have to have a care package in hand and then jump over an obstacle?

jump while quickly double tapping Right on the d-pad, you just need to get 3 kills (use OMA tubes + hardline) in the first minute of the game and then just sit back and live on the infinite care packages for the rest of the match, amazing?.

divisionbyzorro said:

It's also not entirely fair to criticize for most bugs at this point. But you would have thought that after the first care package glitch, the devs would have looked more closely for holes in that part of the code - I know I would have, as a developer by trade myself. You could also have put extra hooks into the code specifically to ensure that it couldn't happen again. So I'm kind of annoyed that this is happening again.

A beta would have caught the balancing issues earlier, which might have meant the glitches were concentrated on sooner as well.

MarkMclovin said:

While mantling, you double-tap right on the d-pad, then toss the marker, then pick up the crate, and then you get another marker.

It'll get fixed pretty quickly, but on 360 it's going to be held up by the famously slow Microsoft certification process.

Xux

Up to seven silver titles at level 37 on my second prestige. The L86 joins the FAMAS, TAR-21, F2000, UMP45, RPD, and Intervention in my little 500 kill club. Don't really want the whole collection, though; seems like too much of a pain in the ass to get most of the secondary titles (especially the launcher ones) and the sniper titles.

Guess it's just a nice sign to switch things up.

Xux said:
Up to seven silver titles at level 37 on my second prestige. The L86 joins the FAMAS, TAR-21, F2000, UMP45, RPD, and Intervention in my little 500 kill club. Don't really want the whole collection, though; seems like too much of a pain in the ass to get most of the secondary titles (especially the launcher ones) and the sniper titles.

Guess it's just a nice sign to switch things up.

I have silver titles for FAMAS, UMP45, SCAR-H, and TAR-21, as well as gold mastery titles for FAMAS, ACR, and AUG HBAR. I plan on grabbing as many of those as I can; once the nuke hunt is done, the weapon medal hunt is on!

FAL mastery is going to be a bitch...ugh...

wud said:
If you were good at COD4/WAW and have a lot of patience, along with a few people to play with regularly - go for it

if not avoid like the plague
This is surprising 'cause COD is like a Ponzi scheme: If you take half the players away from the player base, that guy with a 3.0 K/D is probably going to have a 1.5 - 1.75 K/D (or on the other extreme, he might jump to 3.5), and the dude with 1.5 is probably gonna have a tough time breaking even. ¿Verdad?

So if you scare people away from the game, you're making it more competitive for everyone, but the average Joe is most affected.

Shit, someone should commission a study on this. Clearly part of your score in this game is due to skill, but part of your relative skill is calculated by comparing it with the next guy. This is fascinating. The extremely good will probably get better, while the struggling player will start falling rapidly.

Obviously, according to the total posts in this thread, analyzing this game is about as fun as playing it. If I had a spare $10K and a university at my disposal, I'd get this thing published in Science. Or the scientific journal Gamespot.

divisionbyzorro said:

I'm fairly certain that Juices and I played a couple of kids yesterday that were doing this glitch. In something like 3 minutes, this group of three kids (who each didn't have more than 10 kills) called in something like 4 chopper gunners and a couple of harriers. Funny thing was that I had my Cold Blooded class out and shot down every bit of air support that they threw at us and wound up getting like 1500 points. :lol

funcojoe

divisionbyzorro said:
I have silver titles for FAMAS, UMP45, SCAR-H, and TAR-21, as well as gold mastery titles for FAMAS, ACR, and AUG HBAR. I plan on grabbing as many of those as I can; once the nuke hunt is done, the weapon medal hunt is on!

FAL mastery is going to be a bitch...ugh...

The nuke hunt.

Really?

l
o
l

What are you hunting for may I ask?

funcojoe

divisionbyzorro said:
Ten nukes. I currently have three.

Why? So you can have the emblem? That emblem lost it's meaning a long time ago. Imo you're just wasting time goin for nukes. I got 2 and then unequipped it just cause it's not worth the time camping for it.

Sure there are days like yesterday where I had two games I started off the match 28-0 and I thought lolz I coulda had another nuke but fuck it ya know. Does that emblem mean that much to you?

Dax005

funcojoe said:
Why? So you can have the emblem? That emblem lost it's meaning a long time ago. Imo you're just wasting time goin for nukes. I got 2 and then unequipped it just cause it's not worth the time camping for it.

Sure there are days like yesterday where I had two games I started off the match 28-0 and I thought lolz I coulda had another nuke but fuck it ya know. Does that emblem mean that much to you?

Yes i agree, the nuke emblem just isn't a proof of anything (skill?) these days, due to those boosters.
On the other hand the 8-bit Price is a cool one...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
funcojoe said:
Does that emblem mean that much to you?

To some people, yeah.

Though, I do agree with you. Nukes have lost all meaning after the boosters. I haven't gotten one (as I keep getting shot as I get close to the 24 kill limit) but if I did it'd be by my own skill than LOL FRIEND BOOSTING ME.

Also: :lol @ Infinite Care Packages. Useful, I guess for the Harrier/Chopper Gunner/etc. kills, but it doesn't further your streak so it's pointless.

Man, this game is fucked up. Good thing I've stopped playing it. :lol

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
funcojoe said:

Or maybe the game has presented him with a challenge and he wants to go for it?

RSTEIN said:
Or maybe the game has presented him with a challenge and he wants to go for it?

Pretty much this. I won't be satisfied until I legitimately earn all the killstreak emblems.

And yes, the sad part is that I'll probably never wear the nuke emblem because I know nobody respects it. I wish there was a title that says "IT'S LEGIT;" although nobody would believe that either :)

The sadder part is that it's going to hold me up from starting my second prestige. I can't prestige again and leave three nukes out there....

Ten nukes is just a ridiculous number though. I know there are people who have legitimately earned more than that, but ten is insane for the vast majority of us. Getting a legit nuke takes more luck than anything else - you essentially have to be playing against catastrophically stupid opponents to pull it off.

funcojoe

divisionbyzorro said:
Pretty much this. I won't be satisfied until I legitimately earn all the killstreak emblems.

And yes, the sad part is that I'll probably never wear the nuke emblem because I know nobody respects it. I wish there was a title that says "IT'S LEGIT;" although nobody would believe that either :)

The sadder part is that it's going to hold me up from starting my second prestige. I can't prestige again and leave three nukes out there....

Ten nukes is just a ridiculous number though. I know there are people who have legitimately earned more than that, but ten is insane for the vast majority of us. Getting a legit nuke takes more luck than anything else - you essentially have to be playing against catastrophically stupid opponents to pull it off.

Try and play with a group of low level friends during the daytime hours. You'll get your nukes in no time.

Cornbread78

Face it, this game has some serious flaws, boosts, glitches, party system horror, no clan support, but IW will never fix it, why bother, they already made their money back 100x over. Imaging if they took the party system from R1/R2 andthe Clan system Killzone and added that into this game, it would be the greatest online shooter ever, no question asked, but why bother when the game has already grossed as much as it has.

Yeef

MarkMclovin said:
Well, in that you tube vid, the guy is getting 1 hit kills from what I can only assume is more than 20m away, from the hip. He's killing guys through that gap, whilst he is standing way past the crane on the other side. It still doesn't add up.
The damage is per pellet. The masterkey fires 6 pellets, most shotguns fire 8. On the right hand side of that chart it tells you how many pellets the shotguns shoot (shotguns don't get any bonus damage for headshots).

Cornbread78

Go look up Bud007's stats, he kept a ticker on his PSN comment bar for awhile. I think he was at 60+ dropped last time I checked...

funcojoe said:
Try and play with a group of low level friends during the daytime hours. You'll get your nukes in no time.

Someone earlier said that the matchmaking keys on the party leader...I have low level friends, but I've always been the party leader! I'm hoping to get them together this weekend to play, and see if I see a difference. Hopefully it'll be better for them - I hate putting them in games with multiple second and third prestiges...

Cornbread78 said:
Go look up Bud007's stats, he kept a ticker on his PSN comment bar for awhile. I think he was at 60+ dropped last time I checked...

I hate myself enough for doing this; don't make it worse :lol

Although my K/D has gone up from 1.1 to 1.18 since I started this, so I suppose I'm getting better? Or maybe just camping harder. :lol

winnarps

funcojoe said:

Yep, played a bunch of games immediately after work with a low level friend (he was level 35, non-prestige). All my games were 20+ kills and few or no deaths. Got 2 nukes back to back that afternoon.

Having played all the games in this series, I really think the perks and air support is too over the top this time around. Its fun most of the time, but getting shredded by chopper/harrier over and over even right at a spawn is kind of infuriating. The only other gripe so far is why did they have to move the M16 so many levels up, I love that gun! :lol
I think that with the way the maps are set this time around, its more conducive to play tactical, and not run around like a UT game. I need to start playing in a more tactical frame of mind.

andycapps

wud said:
decided to start watching killcams for once

i hate this game even more now :lol

You like the lag and hit detection? That's what made me give up on COD4 after several months of playing it and prestiging several times. After a while I just got so frustrated with how... newbish it is. Incredibly fun to pick up and play but man, it can get frustrating, especially if you play search and destroy or something with no respawn (which was my main thing on COD4). Don't get me wrong, I'm still playing it because it's easy to get into and play a few games and that's where at least a couple of my friends are playing at a time, but man.. it does get frustrating the more you play it and notice the details.

wud

Neo Member
andycapps said:
You like the lag and hit detection? That's what made me give up on COD4 after several months of playing it and prestiging several times. After a while I just got so frustrated with how... newbish it is. Incredibly fun to pick up and play but man, it can get frustrating, especially if you play search and destroy or something with no respawn (which was my main thing on COD4). Don't get me wrong, I'm still playing it because it's easy to get into and play a few games and that's where at least a couple of my friends are playing at a time, but man.. it does get frustrating the more you play it and notice the details.

Huh? I hate the lag and hit detection, hence I hate watching the killcams to see how bad it is. I disagree with search & destroy though...get a good team and its the best game-mode out of all imo.

aku:jiki

divisionbyzorro said:
I hate myself enough for doing this; don't make it worse :lol
You should be happy you weren't in the game of HCHQ I was in yesterday! Jesus. First this one dude pulls off 3 nukes in a row and is totally casual about it in the chat - and he didn't camp anything. He correctly defended the HQ's and just got his nukes from that. When he left, some other dude came in and started doing the same thing, nuking every match!

Speaking of Hardcore, I unlocked and tested out the FAL Masterkey today and, yeah...it works all right. On Karachi, I one-shot killed a guy on top of the typical camper roof from the monolisk thing by the corner of the map. That doesn't happen often though, as the damage on the thing is oddly inconsistent. Sometimes you have to pump two clean shots into his back from less than a meter's distance, sometimes you can one-shot snipe with it.

andycapps

wud said:
Huh? I hate the lag and hit detection, hence I hate watching the killcams to see how bad it is. I disagree with search & destroy though...get a good team and its the best game-mode out of all imo.

When I said "like" I was being sarcastic. I don't care for it either, just saying that killcams illustrate how bad it is sometimes. Particularly how you'll go around a corner and die when you immediately start shooting a guy and empty half a clip into him. Then you watch the killcam and it just shows you running around the corner straight at the guy and then firing once or twice before he takes you out while you're looking like an idiot.

And yeah, search and destroy is awesome if you have a good team. Most of my friends from here just do demolition though or team deathmatch. Occasionally some domination. Search and destroy is not something you can just play once or twice though and get good at it. You have to know the maps inside and out and know exactly where to go and where other players tend to go.

aku:jiki said:
You should be happy you weren't in the game of HCHQ I was in yesterday! Jesus. First this one dude pulls off 3 nukes in a row and is totally casual about it in the chat - and he didn't camp anything. He correctly defended the HQ's and just got his nukes from that. When he left, some other dude came in and started doing the same thing, nuking every match!

Speaking of Hardcore, I unlocked and tested out the FAL Masterkey today and, yeah...it works all right. On Karachi, I one-shot killed a guy on top of the typical camper roof from the monolisk thing by the corner of the map. That doesn't happen often though, as the damage on the thing is oddly inconsistent. Sometimes you have to pump two clean shots into his back from less than a meter's distance, sometimes you can one-shot snipe with it.

I may be one of the only people who think that the nuke (when people aren't boosting for it) is actually a good addition to the game. It acts as a mercy rule to end lopsided games early, it encourages players to shoot down air support, and it gives you something to play for even when you're down by a lot.

I would imagine that HCHQ is the mode with the most nukes in it. Without killcams, good players who understand maps can easily rack up insane scores. I've tried playing it before, but I just found it really annoying; and like you said, the CG can easily get you killed if you're not careful.

Top Bottom