• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

CrazedArabMan said:
I don't think Marathon is overpowered, it's what it can be combined with like commando that can make it unfair. But commando overall is a unbalanced perk that should never have been put in this game in the first place.

Have you used a silenced AA-12 before? The silenced AA-12 has more range than the Commando melee lunge. Just some food for thought.

divisionbyzorro said:
Have you used a silenced AA-12 before? The silenced AA-12 has more range than the Commando melee lunge. Just some food for thought.

Sorry, but I don't go around with a shotgun out the whole game waiting for a commando player to come running around the corner. But that isn't the point, commando is overpowered. People running around at super speed lunging at me from insane distances, I've been killed by commando players not when they are running at me in a good sized area, but when they come around a corner and I have a small distance but enough where a regular guy would die from a few well placed shots of my gun. Instead they tele-lunge at me from a good 10 - 15 feet away. Also I like to keep my regular gun out because you never know when you will need it around the next corner for a guy who is 50 feet away or so.

I seriously want to know who at IW thought it would be great to give knifing a huge power boost in a game about guns...

CrazedArabMan said:
Sorry, but I don't go around with a shotgun out the whole game waiting for a commando player to come running around the corner.

Not my point. My point is that the gun with the shittiest range in the game still outranges the Commando melee lunge. The goal is just to give some perspective to the "insane" range you refer to.

Dresden

CrazedArabMan said:
Sorry, but I don't go around with a shotgun out the whole game waiting for a commando player to come running around the corner. But that isn't the point, commando is overpowered. People running around at super speed lunging at me from insane distances, I've been killed by commando players not when they are running at me in a good sized area, but when they come around a corner and I have a small distance but enough where a regular guy would die from a few well placed shots of my gun. Instead they tele-lunge at me from a good 10 - 15 feet away. Also I like to keep my regular gun out because you never know when you will need it around the next corner for a guy who is 50 feet away or so.

I seriously want to know who at IW thought it would be great to give knifing a huge power boost in a game about guns...
I doubt you've actually tried playing a commando build. You don't lunge from ten feet away. It's more akin to five.

divisionbyzorro said:
Not my point. My point is that the gun with the shittiest range in the game still outranges the Commando melee lunge. The goal is just to give some perspective to the "insane" range you refer to.

I hate to walk into this 'discussion' :lol - but I refuse to use the shotguns, I just dont find them very much fun, maybe thats why I also have a problem with commando? I know what wasnt your point but theyre probably designed to be the best counter?

I do think though that if commando didnt have those invincible frames I wouldnt have a problem with it at all. The lung is very jarring but if im shooting at them as they lung as long as theyre lunging at me I would kill them which would be nice.

divisionbyzorro said:

So you are telling me that commando range is fine and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it?

I'll gladly flesh out what I believe is the problem when I get back from class.

DoomGyver

divisionbyzorro said:
Are you sure about that? The AA12 silenced has the shortest range of all the shotguns and I'd bet the commando lunge has the same range. Plus when you lunge you're invincible.

Full Recovery said:
Are you sure about that? The AA12 silenced has the shortest range of all the shotguns and I'd bet the commando lunge has the same range. Plus when you lunge you're invincible.

You'll have to trust this highly official image on ImageShack :lol For what it's worth, I got it off of EvilGamer's (Victrix around here) Justin.tv channel. It's somewhat out of date (it still shows the old Bling 1887s), but to the best of my knowledge IW hasn't changed Commando since launch, so it should be good.

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/1773/bestchartever.png

It shows the silenced AA-12 going to 0 damage at 7m, and commando melee lunge capping out at 5m.

RavenFox

Banned
Mr. B Natural said:
If you play domination on favela, and you don't expect somebody to try to quick flank you like that then you deserve to die. That guy just ran right into 4 people and nobody shot him. Again, learn how to play this game, then make an assessment about balance. Until then watch and learn. Nobody is going to do that to you anymore, right? Right. Next time you play domination in favela, you're gonna have your gun ready and the poor sucker that thinks he's being all tricky is going to have something coming.

Marathon is most helpful at the beginning of the game to get position before others do. After that, it's fairly pointless. It's gonna get you in trouble more than anything else because if you're running for so long that marathon needs to kick in, you're running too much.
Have to say I agree with most of this.

Belfast

I don't know what happened, but my accuracy and overall skill has absolutely gone to shit over the past couple of weeks.

Really, the only thing I can point to is that I haven't played with anything above three bars recently (PC version). There was awhile there where I could rack up killstreaks like nobody's business, but that has only happened once or twice in the past few days.

VaLiancY

I played for three hours last night with my friends - not one Terminal game. But Afghan, Wasteland and Derail were on constant playback which sucks because Afghan is a cursed map for me and my friends.

VaLiancY

divisionbyzorro said:
How do you know I don't? :lol
I don't. Seriously - I don't.

And I don't think all criticisms of this game are invalid:

• One Man Army is a broken perk and needs to be fixed.
  • I hate that the most effective KS setup for boosting personal K/D always starts with a Predator missile, thus discouraging people from using UAV and helping the team.
  • In fact, I think the current KS system is screwed up. There should have been three KS slots and you get to pick one from each slot (like perks). The first slot has low KS bonuses that support the team (like UAV, Counter-UAV, and Sentry Gun). The second slot has medium KS bonuses designed to get a few kills (like Predator or Precision Airstrike). The third slot has the bigger bonuses (Pave Low, AC-130, etc). Care packages don't make sense in this system, so they're all gone.
  • A few of the maps are horrible for playlists that they appear in. Highrise, in particular, should never appear in the Domination playlist. Derail should never appear in Team Deathmatch.
  • The riot shield is mostly useless for anything other than trying to piss off the other team. It can help in objective modes, but your score will be so low that it's not worth using.
  • Melee speed should be radically reduced (or melee disabled) on akimbo weapons.
  • Commando should do nothing if you're using akimbo weapons.
  • You should be able to run after being flashed (even if you are blindly running).
  • Frag grenades have been made obsolete by the Semtex.
  • Tactical insertions take too long to activate.

That's just what I can come up with off the top of my head.

You bring up a lot of good points. I feel there should have been a lot of more killstreaks to assist the team instead of direct fire killstreaks. I hope the next CoD will fix the issue, me personally I'd like to see Scavenger axed and replace it something else, maybe an ammo drop killstreak but that's just me.

got2bekidding said:
I hate afghan.

I don't know but we just suck at it. Our biggest issue is that the opposing team will lock down the poppy fields or the cliffs and they both have their fair share of bottlenecks. And once we know they're in a position we don't like rushing them because we don't want to give them killstreaks and increase the gap between the scores.

If it were up to me I'd play Favela 24/7.

God I miss being able to pick maps. I would say that's a huge perk of PC gaming, but I guess it's not anymore for MW2, heh. It's always struck me as weird since I started console multiplayer gaming online with PDZ in 05. Being forced to play maps you dislike, or even aren't in the mood for, is really dumb.

Sealda

Banned
Am i the only one feeling a bit angry when i uses SMG, bad ARs (F2000, FAL), (Sniper on 50% of maps, although like 10 % of the players can play very well with snipers on every map) and gets killed by people using the Scar-H or any other of the good ARs.

Its like, why should i even care using Sniper or SMGs when i can use the ARs who are all of those in one weapon.

Yeah, like 20 % of the time a SMG is better, and like 30 % of the time shotguns are better. But you know what, i do not like sitting in a corner of a room all matches waiting for CQC.

And please, no more comments like

"FAL is the best gun in the game"
"F2000 is so underrated"
"MP5K is a beast with cold blooded and silencer, bla bla bla"

Maybe its more accurate to reality, but it makes the game kind a unbalanced.

Also, i hate (i hate a lot of things) people who claim that this and that kit is super great.

"OMG you have to try VECTOR with RAPID FIRE AND THERMAL with cold blooded and MARATHON ITS AWESOME, i WENT 16-5 last nite, incredible game, we beat another team in domination, we were loosing with 20-150, when i got this incredible streak, i managed to get a predator, and then a pavelow, but i was just 2 kills from a AC130, when my mate stole my kill and i got killed by a noobtube"

"OMG, DEsert EAGLE AKKIMBO, OWNAGE!!!, best setup, its so easy to get kills up-close"

I mean, sure, yeah, very fantastic kits. Great imagination, but they suck okay. Everything without Stopping Power Pro sucks. Its the truth. Just, take the M4A1, TAR-21, SCAR-H or whatever, put on a silencer, put on sleight of hand pro or scavenger, Stopping Power Pro and some random 3rd perk. That is the best setup, yes right there. The best setup, nothing will beat that setup. Even if you changes to any of the other weapons (unless you choose like FAL or F2000 )

Its fun to experiment with different kits. But still, please do not come and say they are the best or they are really good. Because they are not, they are maybe fun to play (that is, if you like to get killed a lot) but they are not good kits.

And i realize, not everyone play to get tons of kills or be good at the game overall. I experiment with a lot of kits, because i get bored. But even if i sometimes starts by going like 3.0 kdr with a stupid kit, in the end it will not make the cut. Because 90 % of the kits are terrible. They suck.

rezuth

Underpass is amazing, I always get at least 30 kills on that map. I think it is weird that you can't equip shotguns as a primary weapon.

corkscrewblow said:
You guys are silly. Derail is the only map that's so bad it's unplayable.

I like it in all modes except for Team Deathmatch. Ground War TDM is livable since the increased player count means that the game won't stalemate, but overall TDM just grinds to a halt on that map. Domination is fun though, as is Demolition (as long as your team is smart enough to use Tactical Insertions).

kitch9

Banned
-viper- said:
I agree that commando is bullshit. I begin shooting at someone 20 ft away from me, he simply taps R3 and kills me instantly.

Try actually playing with commando and you will soon realise you are talkin out of your ass. Equiping commando means you lose ninja too so no thanks.

aku:jiki

Sealda said:
That is the best setup, yes right there. The best setup, nothing will beat that setup.
No, what needs to stop isn't kit recommendations - it's all you motherfuckers who think your experience with the game is some kind of undeniable fact. Just because you suck at countering Stopping Power does not mean that everybody does.

I only have SP on my Akimbo run-n-gun like an idiot kits. Cold-Blooded, Lightweight or even Hardline for everything else. I go positive in every match I play and I've never, not even once, looked at a killcam and determined that I got killed because of SP. I got killed because he outsmarted me, he came from a direction I was too stupid to expect, he had an HBS on and I didn't have Ninja or because he was lagging. Not once do I feel I died because he had SP on. It's so easy to counter, it's ridiculous, and you guys who run around and claim IT'S THE ONLY PERK WORTH USING OMG OMG look fucking ridiculous too.

Learn to play the game well before running around making rants. Nobody cares if your KDR is usually positive - if you think SP is insurmountable, you clearly aren't that good at the game.

Underpass is amazing
Yup, I really like it nowadays. Used to hate it before I learned it well. It felt like "camper's paradise" as my friend used to put it - but those guys had just learned the routes before I had. Now that I know how to move around and when and where to avoid, or where to go for easy kills (sniper house in FFA!), it's a blast to play. It's the one I look forward to the most when I play FFA.

Rundown actually gets pretty good in FFA too. I found my new favorite Claymore place in the game in an FFA I just had: on the little hill by the smallest bridge, over on the jungle side, pointing toward the bridge. That gets people no matter which way they're going, and people use that bridge all the time! :D

Speaking of that match, I know this is whiny nitpicking but...damn. I was owning the match up, just got my 5 streak to start the destruction and winning streak and the two guys I just killed had to come running back for revenge. I got the first guy...and completed a challenge. Guitar riffs meant I had no fucking chance of hearing guy #2 come running too. :(

aku:jiki said:
No, what needs to stop isn't kit recommendations - it's all you motherfuckers who think your experience with the game is some kind of undeniable fact. Just because you suck at countering Stopping Power does not mean that everybody does.

I only have SP on my Akimbo run-n-gun like an idiot kits. Cold-Blooded, Lightweight or even Hardline for everything else. I go positive in every match I play and I've never, not even once, looked at a killcam and determined that I got killed because of SP. I got killed because he outsmarted me, he came from a direction I was too stupid to expect, he had an HBS on and I didn't have Ninja or because he was lagging. Not once do I feel I died because he had SP on. It's so easy to counter, it's ridiculous, and you guys who run around and claim IT'S THE ONLY PERK WORTH USING OMG OMG look fucking ridiculous too.

Learn to play the game well before running around making rants. Nobody cares if your KDR is usually positive - if you think SP is insurmountable, you clearly aren't that good at the game.

I knew someone would have something to say about that post. Well put, Aku.

careful

Sealda said:
Am i the only one feeling a bit angry when i uses SMG, bad ARs (F2000, FAL), (Sniper on 50% of maps, although like 10 % of the players can play very well with snipers on every map) and gets killed by people using the Scar-H or any other of the good ARs.

Its like, why should i even care using Sniper or SMGs when i can use the ARs who are all of those in one weapon.

Yeah, like 20 % of the time a SMG is better, and like 30 % of the time shotguns are better. But you know what, i do not like sitting in a corner of a room all matches waiting for CQC.

"F2000 is so underrated"

Also, i hate (i hate a lot of things) people who claim that this and that kit is super great.

"OMG you have to try VECTOR with RAPID FIRE AND THERMAL with cold blooded and MARATHON ITS AWESOME, i WENT 16-5 last nite, incredible game, we beat another team in domination, we were loosing with 20-150, when i got this incredible streak, i managed to get a predator, and then a pavelow, but i was just 2 kills from a AC130, when my mate stole my kill and i got killed by a noobtube"

"OMG, DEsert EAGLE AKKIMBO, OWNAGE!!!, best setup, its so easy to get kills up-close"

I mean, sure, yeah, very fantastic kits. Great imagination, but they suck okay. Everything without Stopping Power Pro sucks. Its the truth. Just, take the M4A1, TAR-21, SCAR-H or whatever, put on a silencer, put on sleight of hand pro or scavenger, Stopping Power Pro and some random 3rd perk. That is the best setup, yes right there. The best setup, nothing will beat that setup. Even if you changes to any of the other weapons (unless you choose like FAL or F2000 )

Its fun to experiment with different kits. But still, please do not come and say they are the best or they are really good. Because they are not, they are maybe fun to play (that is, if you like to get killed a lot) but they are not good kits.

And i realize, not everyone play to get tons of kills or be good at the game overall. I experiment with a lot of kits, because i get bored. But even if i sometimes starts by going like 3.0 kdr with a stupid kit, in the end it will not make the cut. Because 90 % of the kits are terrible. They suck.
I don't agree with everything you said, but I share the general sentiment.
I also get bored always using the SCAR or ACR, so I try out a lot of different loadouts. I might not do as good K/D ratio, but it shakes things up and keeps it interesting for me. Like one day I thought a thermal Vector would be killer, so I grinded that out for a while. Was it epic fail in the end? Yes it was, but I still had fun trying it out. :)

mr_boo

Yup, I really like it nowadays. Used to hate it before I learned it well. It felt like "camper's paradise" as my friend used to put it - but those guys had just learned the routes before I had. Now that I know how to move around and when and where to avoid, or where to go for easy kills (sniper house in FFA!), it's a blast to play. It's the one I look forward to the most when I play FFA.
Count me in. I used to hate Underpass as well...now, it's one of my favorite maps to play just cause I seem to do pretty well in that map with my SMG Kit. I feel that in Underpass, mobility is one of the key advantages in that map.

DoomGyver

Scrapyard is by far the worst map. Hey lets take a rectangle and put a building on each side. Now lets put a bunch of scrap metal in the middle, brilliant!

Afghan, Favela, Terminal, and Invasion make up for it though. Those are fantastic maps.

Derail, Estate, Highrise, Skidrow, Karachi, Quarry, and Sub base are okay.

Scrapyard, Underpass, Rundown, Rust, and Wasteland are just horrible.

I don't know why Wasteland was remade because all that happens is most of the people rush the middle and a few snipe. Every time. Yeah there will be an exchange of power in the middle and it will probably go back and forth a few times. I guess if you like grenade spam and rockets that's the map for you. And it obviously was designed without air support in mind.

None of them makeup for Crash.

Mileena

Banned
Wasteland is decent for SD. Any other mode I hate it though. Derail is just flat out terrible on every mode. Rundown is almost as horrible as Derail, ALMOST!

I can't believe Wasteland was remade instead of Dawnville. smh IW

Nizz

Speaking of that match, I know this is whiny nitpicking but...damn. I was owning the match up, just got my 5 streak to start the destruction and winning streak and the two guys I just killed had to come running back for revenge. I got the first guy...and completed a challenge. Guitar riffs meant I had no fucking chance of hearing guy #2 come running too. :(
You'll be busy soaking in all the Vegas jackpot-style happenings onscreen when you forget sometimes it's business as usual for everyone else. :lol

It's happened to me also. :(

Aselith

Daaaamn, Akimbo SMG's is my shit! After 22 days of playtime, I guess I've found my perfect match. Started with the MP5k yesterday and it might be even more powerful than the Vectors were (although the Vector has awesome tracers that help aiming up longer shots).

I remember divisionbyzorro hyping the Akimbo G18's, so he should definitely check out Akimbo Vectors. Basically the same thing except they're stronger, has longer range and are easier to kill with! I was using Akimbo Vectors with Akimbo G18's yesterday, but every time I had to switch to secondary I was just annoyed by how much harder they were to use. Switched to Akimbo Rangers secondary instead and now this kit is beasting! :D

I'm personally a fan of akimbo silenced UMPs with akimbo FMJ TMPs obviously you need Bling and I do Stopping Power plus Ninja. I seriously wrecked shit with that setup. Pretty often 3:1 or 4:1 games in Ground War.

Sealda said:

"F2000 is so underrated"

Did you just have an aneurysm?

Kyzer

Banned
You guys just keep crying cuz you suck. Anything under 25 kills is lame, and any kit without stopping power is stupid. I get multiple nukes per game, and I don't camp, I play it like its Resistance, all you need to do is know the maps, predict enemy stupidity (account for the occasional opposing good player), and use a FAMAS.

You will win.

Everytime.

wud

Neo Member
divisionbyzorro said:

we get it, you like the game and want to defend it at all costs but you're really defending commando? lol

jiien

wud said:
we get it, you like the game and want to defend it at all costs but you're really defending commando? lol

We get it, you suck at the game and want to bitch, but you're really going to bitch about Commando?

Seriously guys, read the damn thread and stop posting shit like this.

I mean, really, he freaking posted a laundry list of problems with the game.

Stantron

IMO, the Commando perk would be balanced if the person was stopped in their tracks the instant they got shot. Same goes for regular knifing and frag throwing. If you knife me without me getting a shot off into you, then you deserve the kill, otherwise no. Getting shot while throwing a frag should either cause the frag to drop or shift in direction/distance thrown.

Dresden

Sealda said:

I see a lot of bitter tears and nerdrage.

Full Recovery said:
Scrapyard is by far the worst map. Hey lets take a rectangle and put a building on each side. Now lets put a bunch of scrap metal in the middle, brilliant!

Afghan, Favela, Terminal, and Invasion make up for it though. Those are fantastic maps.

Derail, Estate, Highrise, Skidrow, Karachi, Quarry, and Sub base are okay.

Scrapyard, Underpass, Rundown, Rust, and Wasteland are just horrible.

99% agree, I like Skidrow a helluva lot better than afghan though

Terminal is probably my fav map

Kyzer said:
You guys just keep crying cuz you suck. Anything under 25 kills is lame, and any kit without stopping power is stupid. I get multiple nukes per game, and I don't camp, I play it like its Resistance, all you need to do is know the maps, predict enemy stupidity (account for the occasional opposing good player), and use a FAMAS.

You will win.

Everytime.

So much wrong with this post it makes my head hurt

zam

Same thing here, I don't have SP on a single one of my classes right now (Cold-blooded or Lightweight) and I rarely go negative, or as aku said feel like I got killed solely cause the guy who killed me had SP. Sealda, you may feel that you can't play with anything other than SP, but that doesn't mean that this is a fact that applies to all players.

knitoe

Stantron said:
IMO, the Commando perk would be balanced if the person was stopped in their tracks the instant they got shot. Same goes for regular knifing and frag throwing. If you knife me without me getting a shot off into you, then you deserve the kill, otherwise no. Getting shot while throwing a frag should either cause the frag to drop or shift in direction/distance thrown.
If you ever see someone get commando knifed, you will see that knifing guy goes into warp speed during the lunge. Speed increase is similar, probably faster, to glitch with people running around holding the care packages. The perk could easy be fix if the player's speed stay the same during the lunge.

mr_boo

More than less agree with you too. The situations where one is a gun fight at moderate distance with equal situational awareness (at the same given time) under the condition that both player skill levels are equal are rare. SP, Rate of Fire and Recoil are suppose to compensate for weakness and strengths - you can't approach every single gun with the same play style, so if you're not finding any success with a specific gun (that isn't pure garbage), it may be that its a personal play style issue more than anything else.

For example, I can't snipe worth crap - that doesn't mean that all Sniper Guns aren't viable.

Edit: Had to qualify...otherwise, this post was gonna get nitpicked :lol

jiien

VaLiancY said:
I've been suckling too many UMP and Vector nipple lately so I'm going to try the MP5k tonight. Any tips?

Burst fire, or force yourself into close quarters. The UMP, and even more so the Vector, don't have to be burst fired at mid range, for the most part (mid range being out of shotgun range, but not long range...if that makes any sense). The MP5K, after about three bullets, will start to kick up, A LOT. So work on burst firing, or maneuver into close quarters exclusively. The MP5K is the absolute king of hip firing closeness. Damage comparable to the UMP, but at a higher fire rate.

I might even take it into a private match and get a feel for how it recoils at various ranges.

I assume you don't have it unlocked, but if you are going to commit to close range, Akimbo is where it's at. So goddamn powerful.

knitoe said:
If you ever see someone get commando knifed, you will see that knifing guy goes into warp speed during the lunge. Speed increase is similar, probably faster, to glitch with people running around holding the care packages. The perk could easy be fix if the player's speed stay the same during the lunge.

Actually, I believe the reason the animation shows the teleport is because the math has essentially decided that the victim was already dead (the knife is a one hit kill within a certain range, so as soon as you hit that button, that guy is dead) and the animation is keeping up. As you will notice, you don't move forward or teleport when you hit your knife button and have Commando on but no target; it only happens when the math has determined you killed the guy.

KittyKittyBangBang said:
So much wrong with this post it makes my head hurt

I dunno. My sarcasm alarm went off on that post. I hope it wasn't broken.

jiien said:
Actually, I believe the reason the animation shows the teleport is because the math has essentially decided that the victim was already dead (the knife is a one hit kill within a certain range, so as soon as you hit that button, that guy is dead) and the animation is keeping up. As you will notice, you don't move forward or teleport when you hit your knife button and have Commando on but no target; it only happens when the math has determined you killed the guy.

Correct; and I believe you've said this before. The warp and invincibility frames are just the animation catching up to where you should be because you clicked "melee" within the extended range. W@W did something similar with bayonets, but the animation made much more sense because you didn't lunge; you just jabbed with the rifle.

aku:jiki

mr_boo said:
Count me in. I used to hate Underpass as well...now, it's one of my favorite maps to play just cause I seem to do pretty well in that map with my SMG Kit. I feel that in Underpass, mobility is one of the key advantages in that map.
The cool part about the map is that you like that part, and I like the exact opposite! It's my #1 creep around slowly with an M4 map. :D

knitoe said:
The perk could easy be fix if the player's speed stay the same during the lunge.
And that would make it a lunge...how?

Stantron said:
IMO, the Commando perk would be balanced if the person was stopped in their tracks the instant they got shot.
The thing is...they do. You often DO get off enough shots to kill him before he reaches you, but the lag means his knife connected before all of your shots did.

What we have to consider here is that the problem isn't really Commando per se, it's Commando plus lag. The game obviously has a problem with latency and the netcode is not the best out there - that's the real enemy here, not some silly perk. If the netcode was better, I guarantee that we'd all be less pissed about Commando stabs around corners and shit. Because on his screen, he wasn't teleporting around the corner and Commando didn't help him do that...since he didn't do it.

I guess the question then is why IW decided to implement such a perk with such poor netcode, but I think we all know the answer to that one. They didn't need a god damn beta. :lol

Top Bottom