• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Xux

Yeah, the silencer will reduce the one hit kill area down to the chest or higher instead of the full torso. Just remember to keep stopping power on.

I feel like the problem with commando is really when it is:
commando + lightweight + lag

When that happens, the running guy has a distinct advantage because he'll pop up, probably moving at a weird angle at a high speed and get in range to knife you before you can get a good bead and pop him. Getting killed from behind just tells me there's a flanker and to be careful, but when he pops out of nowhere and teleports is when it's frustrating.

Too bad there wasn't a way to test out these cool ideas in real world with real world variables and all. That would have been smart...someone should work on that.

Nizz

Sometimes, this game brings out the worst in people. Playing TDM last night, had a good match going, ended up 20-1. I wasn't playing with a headset, but at the lobby screen some guy is just complaining over and over.

Accusing me and others who happened to be on my team of camping. Really? WTF. That's the pot calling the kettle black because he and his team were doing exactly that. I'm sorry, I didn't realize I was supposed to fucking stand in front of you and let you shoot me..

Asshole...

whitehawk

Banned
GodofWine said:
I was enjoying the game, until I took a break to play MAG....now, MW2 feels like Im playing tag with 12 meth-heads in a padded room (with endless air support just to F things up further).

Its a fun game, but its so absurd when you think about it that they might as well call it COD: Modern Arcade Twitch Shooter, give us lasers (cause thats how accurate the gun all are), and replace the humans with a species capable of doing the things people do in this game.
I've tried MAG and holy shit. I consider it shovel ware. Honestly, it's just bad.

fps fanatic said:
Sometimes, this game brings out the worst in people. Playing TDM last night, had a good match going, ended up 20-1. I wasn't playing with a headset, but at the lobby screen some guy is just complaining over and over.

Accusing me and others who happened to be on my team of camping. Really? WTF. That's the pot calling the kettle black because he and his team were doing exactly that. I'm sorry, I didn't realize I was supposed to fucking stand in front of you and let you shoot me..

Asshole...

It certainly does, in one of my nuke games, post match lobby one of the guys on the other team bitches about how only campers get nukes, the funny thing is that I run n gunned pretty much the whole game, killing him like 3 or 4 times in the process :lol

kuYuri

fps fanatic said:

Asshole...

Yep, one of the dark sides of online gaming. =/

Aselith

mr_boo said:
Need a bit of help. I think it was corkscrew that recommended USP w Tactical Knife for my SMG Kit, so I've been on a quest ever since to unlock that thing. So just last night I unlocked USP Akimbo for the first time and I started messing around with it (first time using Akimbo and I had a rough time using it).

Well, one thing I noticed off the bat was the modified knife strike poke. I had always assumed that this knife strike poke was from a tactical knife. It'll take me some time to unlock the tactical knife, but just to verify...there is a difference between the Akimbo Knife Strike and the Tactical Knife Strike, right?

If you want to try the Tac Knife, it's part of one of the default kits on First Recon. You can also level up the Magnum to get a Tac Knife for create-a-class by stabbing people using the Tac Knife on that kit; that counts as a pistol kill. That trick does not work for normal knifing though.

Good luck on this. I dropped my K/D ratio by .10 trying to level all the handguns up to Tac Knife. I used handguns exclusively at that time though.

whitehawk

Banned
fps fanatic said:

Asshole...
Worst part about this game (I'm talking about the GAF complainers)

"OMG YOU fucking camper, get some skill asshole."
"Aright" *starts knifing*
"Dude, stop running around with your bullshit commando!! holy shit!!!"

god dammit...

whitehawk said:

god dammit...

Essentially, anything that kills them must be cheap and overpowered, because they are too good to get killed by "real" players. They can't accept that they actually got beaten.

Yeah, you bet your ass that if I see your blip on the UAV that I'm going to hide behind the corner and cap you as you come by. And after that I'll move on.

That's why I have my voice and messaging set to friends only. I don't want to deal with those kids.

Haven't you heard, it's called Modern Warfare, you're supposed to run around like it's Quake. Or something...?

People that complain about MW camping are the dumbest of the dumb. It's like they don't even realize what the killcam is.

moai

so i completed many of the prestige challenges and i prestiged once again (i'm on third prestige). the challenges i completed reset themselves. does this happened to anyone else? i thought prestige challenges didn't reset.

It's funny, post 1.09 I'm seeing more care packages than I did before. And I don't say that to mean I think there's still a glitch, people just seem to be using CP more. Is it just me or has anyone else noticed this?

mr_boo

Aselith said:
If you want to try the Tac Knife, it's part of one of the default kits on First Recon. You can also level up the Magnum to get a Tac Knife for create-a-class by stabbing people using the Tac Knife on that kit; that counts as a pistol kill. That trick does not work for normal knifing though.

Good luck on this. I dropped my K/D ratio by .10 trying to level all the handguns up to Tac Knife. I used handguns exclusively at that time though.
Didn't know it's there in one of the default kits - thanks. No worries about leveling up all handguns up to Tactical Knife unlock - that was never my goal. GAFers simply recommended SMG kits with USP w Tactical Knife and that's what I'm aiming to unlock only.

Shalashaska said:
It's funny, post 1.09 I'm seeing more care packages than I did before. And I don't say that to mean I think there's still a glitch, people just seem to be using CP more. Is it just me or has anyone else noticed this?
Not really, but I probably don't play enough (note, this is from a PS3 perspective too). One thing about CPs though...CPs in my opinion are too effective for their low kill requirements. IW could consider perhaps re-balancing the percentage ratios.

moai said:
so i completed many of the prestige challenges and i prestiged once again (i'm on third prestige). the challenges i completed reset themselves. does this happened to anyone else? i thought prestige challenges didn't reset.

Not all of them, only the bottom 5 or 6 of them in the Prestige section will reset. The rest dont.

FerranMG said:
I reached 3 days of gameplay and just started using sniper rifles.
I loved using and intervention with stopping power on wasteland. :D

Is it worth putting a silencer on it? Will it still be a one hit killing machine?
Silencers make almost every sniper rifle pure garbage. Ok, it's a bit of an exaggeration, but try it out and I guarantee you'll take it off after awhile. The reduced damage for range really shows, and you'll be losing a lot more 1 shot kills than you normally would.

jiien

moai said:

None do but the last five or so in the Prestige category. The Knife Veteran, Stealth Veteran, Flashbang, Stun..maybe another? Don't remember for sure. Those always reset. none of the other do. Oh, and Dropping Crates MIGHT, never done it so I wouldn't know, but heard that it might. Source isn't to be trusted completely though.

Edit: Oh, I see what you're saying. I've yet to finish completely any of the others, so I don't know if, for example, the Predator Missile challenge resets after you complete it. It may, but I don't know about those. The few I listed above though, always reset regardless of where you were with them.

butts

whitehawk said:

god dammit...

I've heard there is a middle ground between camping and relying on lag knife kills but I'm not quite sure. Guess not.

whitehawk

Banned
butts said:
I've heard there is a middle ground between camping and relying on lag knife kills but I'm not quite sure. Guess not.
I don't do either (at least not since the fixed the care package speed), but you completely missed my point. People will complain, no matter the fashion in which you kill them.

Fugu said:
It's funny because this looks like it controls a lot better than the X360/PS3 version.

Look, I think that people on this board tend to talk shit about motion controls just for the sake of talking shit about motion controls, but that was not better than the x360/ps3 version control wise. First off, it was clear that either the ADS controls in wii version were shit or noscoping was even cheaper than in next-gen versions because he decided that no matter how far the enemy was, he would try to hip-fire. Plus there just aren't enough easily accessable buttons on the wii controller to accomidate CoD4/5/6 controls, otherwise they wouldn't have sprint, climb, pickup, and screen-lock on the same button.

That being said, I hope the PS3 version of MW3 allows for the use of the ARC, cause I know I would have a much easier time sniping if the sniping controls were like in that shitty conduit game. I have lost count of the number times when I am very close to getting the headshot in CoD4/5/6, but miss because I accidentally move the crosshairs just a tad too far, have to waste extra time alligning, and then the breathing kicks in again.

aku:jiki

mr_boo said:
GAFers simply recommended SMG kits with USP w Tactical Knife and that's what I'm aiming to unlock only.
I have to disagree with that. If you're not looking to go knifing, you're wasting your time doing the unlocks. The tac knife is a primary weapon and an entire playstyle in its own right, it's not a very reliable secondary. I would go with a shotgun on an SMG class.

jiien said:
Oh, and Dropping Crates MIGHT, never done it so I wouldn't know, but heard that it might. Source isn't to be trusted completely though.
Both Droppin' Crates (which is the one for game winning killcam) and Heads Up (which is the Prestige one) reset, unfortunately. Confirmed by me, even more unfortunately! Whoever had that idea should be shot or something. :(

Fugu

TestOfTide said:
Look, I think that people on this board tend to talk shit about motion controls just for the sake of talking shit about motion controls, but that was not better than the x360/ps3 version control wise. First off, it was clear that either the ADS controls in wii version were shit or noscoping was even cheaper than in next-gen versions because he decided that no matter how far the enemy was, he would try to hip-fire. Plus there just aren't enough easily accessable buttons on the wii controller to accomidate CoD4/5/6 controls, otherwise they wouldn't have sprint, climb, pickup, and screen-lock on the same button.

That being said, I hope the PS3 version of MW3 allows for the use of the ARC, cause I know I would have a much easier time sniping if the sniping controls were like in that shitty conduit game. I have lost count of the number times when I am very close to getting the headshot in CoD4/5/6, but miss because I accidentally move the crosshairs just a tad too far, have to waste extra time alligning, and then the breathing kicks in again.
The lack of aim assist speaks volumes for the quality of the X360/PS3 controls.

Aselith

OH MY GOD GUYS I HEARD YOU LIKE BULLSHIT SO I PUT COMMANDO IN UR GAME SO YOU CAN STAB WHILE YOU STAB

Fuck this game and fuck Infuckity Warfuckd

Nah, I'm just kidding. Love me some Commando.

Fugu said:
The lack of aim assist speaks volumes for the quality of the X360/PS3 controls.

or it just means that there would no managable way to put aim assist in the wii version.

Najaf said:
Well maybe Noob Tubes, but not RPGs. OMA takes the second slot.

Well, it is possible that they swapped their OMA pack for an RPG, though the uselessness of such a swap makes it very unlikely.

xtheEnemy

Banned
Demolition is kinda fun.

Joined a game last night, score was already 1-0, then got tons of kills, summoned my harrier, plant the bomb, then boom, 1-1. already got a chopper gunner this time.

next round, I've waited for them to blowup out first crate, then I summoned my Chopper Gunner, was a total mayhem, but due to the map being in Karachi and my Chopper Gunner flying like a fucking fly all over the amp, I only got to 22-0.

only need 2 more kills and I'll end the game with a bang. they have planted on our last crate, I've carefully sneak up to the roof, saw a guy on a window, killed him easily, then a guy killed my with his RPG. watched the kill cam and his screen is covered with smoke/dust, and just blindly fire his RPG.

Talk about bad luck huh.

Carried my team to victory after that death.

2 weeks and counting on level 70 P2 :(, 1 more nuke and I'll be happy forever..

The following games was fun though.

Aselith

TestOfTide said:
Well, it is possible that they swapped their OMA pack for an RPG, though the uselessness of such a swap makes it very unlikely.

Not sure if I'm reading what you wrote here correctly but, if you're saying he could swap on the fly, that is not possible. OMA can't be swapped like a normal gun can. As soon as you switch to it, you go to the class select screen with no chance to switch.

Dresden

TestOfTide said:
or it just means that there would no managable way to put aim assist in the wii version.

How the fuck do you not manage to put auto aim in the wii version? Do you think it's the GRAPHICAL HORSEPOWER of the PS360 that enables aim assist? :lol

Motion control is the closest thing to mouse-aim that you can get on the consoles.

Aselith said:
Not sure if I'm reading what you wrote here correctly but, if you're saying he could swap on the fly, that is not possible. OMA can't be swapped like a normal gun can. As soon as you switch to it, you go to the class select screen with no chance to switch.

Um, yes you can, or least when I last tried it (in 2009) you can.

Step 1: go over a dropped weapon
Step 2: switch to OMA
Step 3: almost Immediately after pressing Y, press and hold X.

try it if you don't believe me.

Dresden said:
How the fuck do you not manage to put auto aim in the wii version? Do you think it's the GRAPHICAL HORSEPOWER of the PS360 that enables aim assist?

No, just that it would be difficult to determine a good way to have auto-aim affect an aiming style where turning options isn't limited to just sensitivity. On 360 and PS3, the auto-aim is just (IF target is close to the center of the screen, have their movement affect the camera), can't simply do that if the reticle is no longer always center and is no longer directly dependant on how fast one is turning.

Dresden

Aselith said:
Eh? Get your OMA pack out, then switch to your gun again. It works, you are not required to choose a new class.

Dresden said:
Eh? Get your OMA pack out, then switch to your gun again. It works, you are not required to choose a new class.
Hitting B/Circle works too. Useful for setting up OMA Tubing.

Also, I think people are missing the some combination of part in Najaf's post.

Belfast

I'm beginning to realize the weaponry isn't as much of a problem as it is a combination of the bad netcode and equally terrible spawn system.

Oh, and Akimbo. It just needs to be removed from the fucking game.

Belfast said:
I'm beginning to realize the weaponry isn't as much of a problem as it is a combination of the bad netcode and equally terrible spawn system.

Oh, and Akimbo. It just needs to be removed from the fucking game.

Not removed entirely, but it should be limited to only three categories:

- Handguns
- SMGs
- Rangers

Dresden

Akimbo 1887's don't really exist anymore, so add that onto your list of acceptable... wait, you just listed every weapon in the game that can already be akimbo'd, except for machine pistols. And MPs would be fine if they just patched that stupid G18 loophole.

Dresden said:
Akimbo 1887's don't really exist anymore, so add that onto your list of acceptable... wait, you just listed every weapon in the game that can already be akimbo'd, except for machine pistols. And MPs would be fine if they just patched that stupid G18 loophole.

No, the 1887s are still pretty overpowered compared to other shotguns when akimbo'd. You get alot of ammo, range around the same as the other shotguns, a great fire rate, and not too bad a reload. The Rangers, while powerful at close range, but have shitty ammo and range.

MPs are a problem akimbo'd because they make SMGs useless. Especially when MPs tend to have smaller hip spread. If you choose to have akimbo SMGs, then you have no weapons for long range. You can have akimbo G18s and an AR to cover all ranges.

Handguns are fine akimbo'd because of low ammo to balance it out.

Dresden

TestOfTide said:
No, the 1887s are still pretty overpowered compared to other shotguns when akimbo'd. You get alot of ammo, range around the same as the other shotguns, a great fire rate, and not too bad a reload. The Rangers, while powerful at close range, but have shitty ammo and range.

MPs are a problem akimbo'd because they make SMGs useless. Especially when MPs tend to have smaller hip spread. If you choose to have akimbo SMGs, then you have no weapons for long range. You can have akimbo G18s and an AR to cover all ranges.

Handguns are fine akimbo'd because of low ammo to balance it out.
1887's aren't overpowered anymore. Their range got gutted for akimbo and you might as well use the M1014 if you want a close-quarter shotgun. Just because it's better than the Ranger, doesn't mean it's OP.

Besides, almost every shotgun user switched to the awesomeness of the Spas-12.

Belfast

Dresden said:

Balance or not, it's still just... a retarded mechanic. I know the game isn't very realistic, despite its pretenses of "modern warfare," but Akimbo just doesn't feel like a good fit. If they're going to do that, they might as well add in all sorts of crazy Rambo shit.

Dresden

Belfast said:
Balance or not, it's still just... a retarded mechanic. I know the game isn't very realistic, despite its pretenses of "modern warfare," but Akimbo just doesn't feel like a good fit. If they're going to do that, they might as well add in all sorts of crazy Rambo shit.
We can already leap from buildings without damage, chill our blood so we're invisible to machines, magically enchant our bullets to penetrate more and run indefinitely with all that gear on our backs.

Realism got tossed out the window a while back.

quadrax1s

Neo Member
BolognaSoup said:
Haven't you heard, it's called Modern Warfare, you're supposed to run around like it's Quake. Or something...?

People that complain about MW camping are the dumbest of the dumb. It's like they don't even realize what the killcam is.

Sometimes it's understandable, like when you have a killstreak going and you get killed by some asshole sitting/lying prone in the corner waiting for people to run by. Sure you can go back and kill him, but ruining a killstreak due to a camper just makes people rage...

There are times when camping is legitimate and other times it's just cheap.

Belfast said:

eraser.jpg

WHERE'S MA RAILGUN???

Wait...we're back to bitching about akimbo again? Seriously? First of all, the realism argument is asinine in a game where hiding for five seconds magically cures bullet wounds and different guns actually do more damage than others (any "realistic" weapon should OHK with a headshot). Second - how is akimbo overpowered in the context of this game again? I'd love to hear a real argument other than "akimbo is bullshit hur hur hur." Why, exactly, is akimbo overpowered? Akimbo essentially lets you double your fire rate in exchange for lower hip fire accuracy and a lack of ADS. It works great in close to medium-close encounters, and for more quickly dispatching a group of enemies you happen to surprise. Using akimbo will get you destroyed by anyone with an AR who goes ADS at you, or by anything at mid range, or by a shotgun. It's a great complement to a run-and-gun class where the user is deliberately trying to keep encounters at close range with the way he moves through the map, and it will get you killed everywhere else.

whitehawk said:

god dammit...

Oh cmon thats like both ends of the cheap meter.

If someone wants to enjoy playing and asks you to stop camping because its not fun, stabbing him non stop isnt gonna be much fun for him either, just be glad he didnt think "fuck this" and just switch to a noob tube class.

Seriusly, some people want to play this game as a shooter, some dont care about k/d ratios and what not and just want to have fun, people hiding everywhere or running around knifing is not fun (neither is shooting mortars around the map).

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
i hate fuckwits who stand around you whilst you're trying to secretly hide a bomb in demolition :/

I also think IW should patch the game so people can't leave when a nuke is activated. I was just in another game where the host left and the the game couldn't migrate.

Top Bottom