• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

careful

Something about Scrapyard being more horizontal than vertical in its design results in me always doing great playing on that map. Same with Highrise, I pull off these crazy scores. Whereas as a map like Favela, with all the rooftops and houses, I either get owned or stay even. I always feel like I'm about to get shot/stabbed in the back on that map.

KittyKittyBangBang said:
99% agree, I like Skidrow a helluva lot better than afghan though

Terminal is probably my fav map

Skidrows the worst map in the game by far. It's more one sided than Bog. At first I liked it, but once you learn the maps (and others do too) it becomes the worst map in the game by a country mile. It's so one-sided that I feel bad spawning on the good side. If the team camps the good side, you will not get through. I've had games end 7500 to 1500 on skidrow. It's so lopsided it's not even funny.

Played a game of Hardcore TDM in Skidrow the other day. Final score after 10 minutes of relentless camping on both sides- 1000 to 800. Sadly, that's the closest I've been to losing on the good side since november. Wtf IW.

Mileena

Banned
Mr. B Natural said:
Skidrows the worst map in the game by far. It's more one sided than Bog. At first I liked it, but once you learn the maps (and others do too) it becomes the worst map in the game by a country mile. It's so one-sided that I feel bad spawning on the good side. If the team camps the good side, you will not get through. I've had games end 7500 to 1500 on skidrow. It's so lopsided it's not even funny.

Played a game of Hardcore TDM in Skidrow the other day. Final score after 10 minutes of relentless camping on both sides- 1000 to 800. Sadly, that's the closest I've been to losing on the good side since november. Wtf IW.
Play a real fucking game mode then. Skidrow owns on Search.

Worst map for Search is Derail/Rundown tie. I can't even play them they're so fucking bad.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Mr. B Natural said:

what are you talking about? skidrow is the one with the bookstore running through the middle right?

I think that one is balanced just fine and have never experienced a game where a team holds down one side of the map all game.

Nizz

Panda Bear said:
Do we know when the map pack is being released?
All IW have mentioned is a spring release. On 360 first, maybe for a couple of weeks. Then the maps will be on PS3.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Mr. B Natural said:

Estate easily has worse side issues IMO.

Frillen

user_nat said:
Estate easily has worse side issues IMO.

Amen.

I always play tight games on Skidrow. So many routes to take, and I don't understand how one side is beter than the other.

However, Estate is the worst map when it comes to spawning. If a team has regained control of the house you're basically fucked, not only because it's hard to retake the house, but if you die trying to retake it, you spawn far away from it, usually by the power station, which means half a minute of mindless sprinting. Then BANG killed by a sniper while trying to sprint back. Then BANG killed by either a harrier or a helicopter while trying to sprint back. Repeat. So unforgiving. At least spawn the team that tries to retake the house close enough so that you actually have a chance. Sometimes it's possible, but only if you play against bad players.

careful

Fucking Derail.... Fucking piece of shit. I feel like the Indian dude from Office Space running out of curse words to express my feelings.

Frillen said:
Amen.

I always play tight games on Skidrow. So many routes to take, and I don't understand how one side is beter than the other.

However, Estate is the worst map when it comes to spawning. If a team has regained control of the house you're basically fucked, not only because it's hard to retake the house, but if you die trying to retake it, you spawn far away from it, usually by the power station, which means half a minute of mindless sprinting. Then BANG killed by a sniper while trying to sprint back. Then BANG killed by either a harrier or a helicopter while trying to sprint back. Repeat. So unforgiving. At least spawn the team that tries to retake the house close enough so that you actually have a chance. Sometimes it's possible, but only if you play against bad players.
I agree with this completely, however I fucking love it when I finally get up to the house, sneak up via the basement and take out 3/4 guys who are sniping through the window.

Estate is a lot like Creek from COD4, so I really like it. I never perform that well on it, but it's a cool environment to play in.

Dresden

RJNavarrete said:
AT4-HS + Scavenger + Demolition (especially on Quarry) = Multiple triple and quadruple kills. So much damn fun. Can't wait to get the RPGs again. :D
You and a million other people. The number of Danger Close+OMA/Scavenger classes is insane right now, or maybe I'm just having bad luck.
I might have a thousand kills with the RPG, but it's obviously just pure skill on my part and not Danger Close getting me instagibs if the rocket hits even ten feet off the target.:lol

Xux

Finally got dat F2000 mastery. Went back to snipering and Muziing peoples jaws. Pretty good times.

Also lovin' me some 1887 action. The lever just has a nice healthy weight and sound to it that I just can't resist.

I also like the whole apparatus they put on the Raffica to attach the red dot and holographic sights.

Frillen said:
Amen.

I dunno. I find it surprisingly simple to take back the estate, especially if you have a couple of buddies. I switch to the silenced SMG + Marathon + Lightweight + Ninja build, run all the way around to the shed, enter via the basement, and deliberately, yet quickly sweep the house. It take a little bit of determination to pull it off by myself, but a buddy or a TI is usually enough to clear it.

And if you're playing Domination, you don't even need to take it back. Just hold B and C and laugh as they snipe out of the house and lose the match.

Frillen

divisionbyzorro said:
I dunno. I find it surprisingly simple to take back the estate, especially if you have a couple of buddies. I switch to the silenced SMG + Marathon + Lightweight + Ninja build, run all the way around to the shed, enter via the basement, and deliberately, yet quickly sweep the house. It take a little bit of determination to pull it off by myself, but a buddy or a TI is usually enough to clear it.

Yeah, I've regained control of it a lot of times as well, but sometimes it's just impossible if they have all the routes covered and you have really bad people on your team, who just run mindlessly through the front door getting picked down easily.

Played this for the first time in ages. First game was Demolition on Afgan. Some cunt was inside a rock that is just outside the cave doorway looking over one of the flags. He racked up 33-0, he also had a purple Gamertag and wasn't in my previous players list either. Switched game off.

lionelhutz

careful said:
Fucking Derail.... Fucking piece of shit. I feel like the Indian dude from Office Space running out of curse words to express my feelings.

I've been using Marathon + Lightweight + Ninja and a silenced UMP on Derail and I like the map. As long as someone as a UAV going it's pretty easy to flank and rack up a decent amount of kills.

lionelhutz said:
I've been using Marathon + Lightweight + Ninja and a silenced UMP on Derail and I like the map. As long as someone as a UAV going it's pretty easy to flank and rack up a decent amount of kills.

That's the only class I can have any measure of success with on that map, and I still hate it. It's far too large for this game.

lionelhutz

divisionbyzorro said:
That's the only class I can have any measure of success with on that map, and I still hate it. It's far too large for this game.

It does seem too big, but no one ever fights on at least a third of the map so it's easy to get back to the action with Marathon. I'd much rather play Derail than Karachi. Even if I do well on that map I still don't like it.

In the past two weeks, I've had my best series of games that I have had since I bought the game at launch. And it's all due to switching from playing Domination and MTDM to playing Demolition. All of a sudden, Im leveling up much faster and posting huge games, like 35-2, 44-10, etc., all while actually going after the goals (usually tops on my team for capturing and disarming targets).

Playing recently, it seems the the Witchblade, Danger close, and dual shotties have dropped off. And in its place, ten fold..... Interventions with thermal scopes. I know its all personal experiences, but for me, it seems like at least 3-4 people on the opposing team have that setup and are experts at the quick aim/aim assist/sweeping snipe where the replay shows them not aiming, the shot being 5 feet off the mark, yet.... headshot. Infuriating.

All in all though, enjoying the game more than I have at any point. Still have issues, but that goes with any game.

GodofWine

TheApatheticOne said:
All in all though, enjoying the game more than I have at any point. Still have issues, but that goes with any game.

I was enjoying the game, until I took a break to play MAG....now, MW2 feels like Im playing tag with 12 meth-heads in a padded room (with endless air support just to F things up further).

Its a fun game, but its so absurd when you think about it that they might as well call it COD: Modern Arcade Twitch Shooter, give us lasers (cause thats how accurate the gun all are), and replace the humans with a species capable of doing the things people do in this game.

Dresden said:
You and a million other people. The number of Danger Close+OMA/Scavenger classes is insane right now, or maybe I'm just having bad luck.

Played a game of HQ last night on terminal when literally every member of the other team had some combination of danger close / OMA / scavenger / RPGS and Noob Tubes. Not fun.

GodofWine said:
I was enjoying the game, until I took a break to play MAG....now, MW2 feels like Im playing tag with 12 meth-heads in a padded room (with endless air support just to F things up further).

Its a fun game, but its so absurd when you think about it that they might as well call it COD: Modern Arcade Twitch Shooter, give us lasers (cause thats how accurate the gun all are), and replace the humans with a species capable of doing the things people do in this game.

I've been very curious to try MAG, but I don't have a PS3. I've heard it's good, but unbalanced in favor of one of the factions. I've watched some streams of it; the contrast to MW2 is startling :lol

I'll be honest: I would love to see the next COD take a page from MAG's book and offer a super-large game type. But of course you would need dedicated servers to pull it off. :lol

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I find Derail is quite a versatile map, you can flank with marathon, flank with stealth, you can snipe from loads of locations both high and low or you can rampage around with an AR/shotgun and get decent results.

There are lots of places to set up camp, lots of cover for moving around and lots of paths. One of my faves.

Its not a sniper heaven like wasteland or a big clusterfuck like favela. there are so few ways to have success on favela imo. I've gotten better at it but still probably my absolute worst map.

Najaf

Sir Garbageman said:
Played a game of HQ last night on terminal when literally every member of the other team had some combination of danger close / OMA / scavenger / RPGS and Noob Tubes. Not fun.

Well maybe Noob Tubes, but not RPGs. OMA takes the second slot.

I just had my mind blown while watching a live stream here at work. There is an alcove in the tunnel on Skidrow going to Alpha. So that's where people have been hiding from me. How have I missed this all this time?

Najaf said:
Well maybe Noob Tubes, but not RPGs. OMA takes the second slot.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but like I said it was some combination. Basically they either went AR with Noobtube / RPG / Scavenger / Danger Close or AR with Noobtube / OMA / Danger Close. They didn't have the same clan tag or anything but they all rolled out with similar classes.

Either way seeing as the majority of the HQs in Terminal spawn in cramped rooms making the thousand explosives flying when trying to capture one rage inducing.

lionelhutz

divisionbyzorro said:
I just had my mind blown while watching a live stream here at work. There is an alcove in the tunnel on Skidrow going to Alpha. So that's where people have been hiding from me. How have I missed this all this time?

It's pretty dark in the tunnel and most people are more worried about a sniper or someone camping in the lower part of the building. I never knew it existed either until I saw someone hiding there.

mr_boo

Need a bit of help. I think it was corkscrew that recommended USP w Tactical Knife for my SMG Kit, so I've been on a quest ever since to unlock that thing. So just last night I unlocked USP Akimbo for the first time and I started messing around with it (first time using Akimbo and I had a rough time using it).

Well, one thing I noticed off the bat was the modified knife strike poke. I had always assumed that this knife strike poke was from a tactical knife. It'll take me some time to unlock the tactical knife, but just to verify...there is a difference between the Akimbo Knife Strike and the Tactical Knife Strike, right?

mr_boo said:
Need a bit of help. I think it was corkscrew that recommended USP w Tactical Knife for my SMG Kit, so I've been on a quest ever since to unlock that thing. So just last night I unlocked USP Akimbo for the first time and I started messing around with it (first time using Akimbo and I had a rough time using it).

Well, one thing I noticed off the bat was the modified knife strike poke. I had always assumed that this knife strike poke was from a tactical knife. It'll take me some time to unlock the tactical knife, but just to verify...there is a difference between the Akimbo Knife Strike and the Tactical Knife Strike, right?

Yeah, Akimbo takes a little while to get used to. You're so used to using the left trigger for ADS that actually firing with it takes a little bit of rewiring.

And yes - the tactical knife gives you an incredibly fast knife strike; you'll easily be able to tell the difference once you unlock it.

mr_boo

divisionbyzorro said:
Yeah, Akimbo takes a little while to get used to. You're so used to using the left trigger for ADS that actually firing with it takes a little bit of rewiring.

And yes - the tactical knife gives you an incredibly fast knife strike; you'll easily be able to tell the difference once you unlock it.
Cool div, thank you. I'm not a fan of Akimbo, at least not on the USP and at least not right now. I'm probably going to go back to USP with FMJ after giving the USP AKimbo a few more sessions.

mr_boo said:
Cool div, thank you. I'm not a fan of Akimbo, at least not on the USP and at least not right now. I'm probably going to go back to USP with FMJ after giving the USP AKimbo a few more sessions.

To each his own, of course, but I find that FMJ does little to no good on a handgun - how often are you shooting it through walls anyway? Whereas with akimbo, you can put out twice as many bullets in the same timespan. Personally, I hate all handguns until I unlock akimbo, and then I never use anything but akimbo on them. Yes, you lose the ADS precision, but with Steady Aim I don't find that I usually need it.

I'm an avid commando user so I'm definitely not anti-commando.

However, to all of the anti-commando people here, what if commando had a slower knife response time? For example instead of the knife immediately coming out, what if it had to charge for a half second or some other fraction of a second and THEN the lunge came? I was wondering if that would ever work if it were to be implemented. Then youd have to factor in tac knife. Actually, if you had tac knife, it would make it a normal commando attack with no "charge" delay.

mr_boo

divisionbyzorro said:
To each his own, of course, but I find that FMJ does little to no good on a handgun - how often are you shooting it through walls anyway? Whereas with akimbo, you can put out twice as many bullets in the same timespan. Personally, I hate all handguns until I unlock akimbo, and then I never use anything but akimbo on them. Yes, you lose the ADS precision, but with Steady Aim I don't find that I usually need it.
I came to my conclusion purely on like 4-5 matches last night, so I consider myself an Akimbo Rookie :p I'll keep messing around with them to see how it goes....Regarding the FMJ - I only went with that cause I (a) don't have Tactical Unlocked, (b) don't want a range deduction due to the Silencer, and (c) I currently suck with Akimbo. Thus, my rationale for FMJ.

lionheart1827 said:
I'm an avid commando user so I'm definitely not anti-commando.

However, to all of the anti-commando people here, what if commando had a slower knife response time? For example instead of the knife immediately coming out, what if it had to charge for a half second or some other fraction of a second and THEN the lunge came? I was wondering if that would ever work if it were to be implemented. Then youd have to factor in tac knife. Actually, if you had tac knife, it would make it a normal commando attack with no "charge" delay.
I think the real problem lies with the network lag - I believe Fugu or someone else stated that the teleport lunge characteristic only occurs in networked games. If you have a local Private Match, the teleport lunge doesn't happen. This just makes me think that the hit detection code needs to be fine tuned.

aku:jiki

mr_boo said:
That's a glitch or something. It's still the regular knife with the full animation, etc, but it's just ultra fast. It only happens with Akimbo USP's.

aku:jiki said:
That's a glitch or something. It's still the regular knife with the full animation, etc, but it's just ultra fast. It only happens with Akimbo USP's.

Ahhh...he was referring to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM_O7E-gp20

I see. So apparently the Akimbo USPs always default to the "stab" animation rather than the "slice" animation. Weird. But it doesn't seem to have an effect on the actual melee response time.

mr_boo

Ugh...also, pulled from a MW2 WIKI...

"""
* With Akimbo attached to this weapon, melee will always look as if you are stabbing someone, even against walls and teammates. Also, the melee is faster than normal with Akimbo.

* The USP .45's iron sights are incorrect when using the Tactical Knife attachment.
"""

So, it seems like it's not just the appearance, melee is faster. If this is true, I may as well stick with Akimbo USP...I'll have to see how incorrect the iron sights are with Tactical Knife.

aku:jiki

mr_boo said:
So, it seems like it's not just the appearance, melee is faster. If this is true, I may as well stick with Akimbo USP...I'll have to see how incorrect the iron sights are with Tactical Knife.
You don't really shoot all that much when you're using tac knife.

JWTvX.jpg

jiien

You don't really shoot all that much when you're using tac knife.

I totally do it wrong, but I shoot more when I have the tac knife up :( I'm just so much better at killing people with my USP by shooting than I am with the stabbing. So sometimes I run a 'knifing' build to just run around with a pistol -_-

Xux

I've gone just pistol before on Skidrow. Actually broke even 14-14. It was pretty fun, too. Think I might try and use the Raffica as a main gun more often; heart that weird little thing.

FerranMG

I reached 3 days of gameplay and just started using sniper rifles.
I loved using and intervention with stopping power on wasteland. :D

Is it worth putting a silencer on it? Will it still be a one hit killing machine?

Top Bottom