• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

kuYuri

Sailor said:
Soo what are you guys using your $20 credit for?

Personally I'm going to use it to reserve Super Mario Galaxy 2, can't really think of another game I want that comes out soon.

I'm putting it towards my God of War Collection preorder.

cresto

got2bekidding said:
A variety of lock-on launchers are in the game just for that purpose. I took a helicopter down by myself with an AT-4 and 1/4 clip, wasn't difficult.
Thats fine and dandy, but I don't want to have a rocket as my secondary for every class :/

Any non preorder deals out there sweeter than toys r us? I think thats where I will start and if i cant find it there, then Ill try out the next best offer. Help me out plz!

_Alkaline_ said:
There was a ton of potential with all the different scenarios and locations - and sometimes this was executed well, as stuff like All Ghillied Up, Hunted and Death From Above were really, really good. I think it was mostly because those missions were unique and didn't artificially force you to keep moving. You know a game is practically broken when progression can be dictated by how quickly you run to the next checkpoint.

Often you would just have to make a run for it in order to keep moving on, since taking cover and picking enemies off was basically useless due to the respawning enemy closets. Not to mention the ridiculous use of grenades by enemies at higher levels, something that was both unrealistic and just plain unfair. Also, you have to love how you have a ton of allies most of the time yet the enemies almost always focus solely on you. There's one part in Hunted towards the end where you have to take cover from a helicopter. The helicopter is actually designed to only shoot at you. If you move left, the helicoper will move to the left as well, even if you all your allies are on the right side. Bullshit.

COD4's campaign had some fantastic moments but it was as if IW did all they could to make me dislike it.

Agreed. The levels in CoD4 were really uneven. There were quite a few levels that just felt really uninspired, kinda like IW was going through the motions. Especially near the end when their bag of tricks was getting empty: Heat, All In, and No Fighting In The War Room to name a few.

whitehawk said:
244wot4.gif

He's just a damn character fucking around, the 360 dude is dead serious ready to fuck something up. :lol

AnIco

Sailor said:
Soo what are you guys using your $20 credit for?

Personally I'm going to use it to reserve Super Mario Galaxy 2, can't really think of another game I want that comes out soon.

God of War 3, Assassin's Creed 2, BioShock 2, or Gran Turismo 5. I can think of plenty of games I'll be getting that come out before SMG2.

The problem it seems with the ease/deadliness of kill streaks is that it seems to be a way to make the game even more accessible. I doubt the millions of CoD4 players regularly could get helicopters at will like some of the really good players. I think my highest killstreak was 12.

IW probably wanted less experienced players to feel more badass so to speak by making killstreak rewards easier.

The problem is that defeats the purpose of kill streaks. The great thing about CoD4 was you felt like you were actually getting better the more time you invested in it. When I first started I could hardly ever get an airstrike. Now I get them pretty regularly along with the occasional copter.

ergo said:
Thats fine and dandy, but I don't want to have a rocket as my secondary for every class :/
So just put it in one class. Make that class your best setup for staying alive so when you die while in your other class, you can switch to the rocket one on the respawn, shoot down whatever is flying, then go kick some ass, and switch back after you die.

cresto

got2bekidding said:
So just put it in one class. Make that class your best setup for staying alive so when you die while in your other class, you can switch to the rocket one on the respawn, shoot down whatever is flying, then go kick some ass, and switch back after you die.
I know I can do that, but I don't want to. That's the point, lol.

El_Six

Neo Member
Well game sold early here in Florida in some stores and already beat single player..must say it is a great story all together but there are some parts that your just like "huh whats going on here" Pulls together in the end. Haven't tried multiplayer as I wanted to get the story mode out of the way before I get into it. The special ops mode is pretty cool and should be fun to play with friends, you have the option of running through it in single player mode but some missions are a bit to difficult and although you can beat them you easily see that it would be easier with a buddy.

In the end after being a COD fan/whore (sorry but yes something about this series I just love it) I am happy with what IW has put out and think that where they are taking the story should be fun. GOY to early to tell we will see how the masses like it although it will be a huge contender for that title I think.

Rickard

got2bekidding said:
Also, the one man army perk lets you switch classes whenever you want.

cresto

got2bekidding said:
Well then be difficult. :p
I will, damn it! haha :p

ZZMitch said:
Well then you gunna be owned my my helis all day SON :D

Please lil boi, I will be invisible w/ cold blooded all day long :D

Rickard said:
Also, the one man army perk lets you switch classes whenever you want.

Forgot about that perk! I will most likely use this one or cold blooded the most :)

Okay, I'm reading back trying to catch up on the news I missed over the weekend and am sure this has been discussed, but I couldn't find an answer.

When using the Chopper Gunner and Predator Missile killstreak rewards, is your player still on the map, inactive and killable like when placing your airstrike in COD4? And are there any other player controlled killstreak rewards?

One thing I was initially worried about was they'd just add way too much stuff to it and make it confusing and right now I'm confused as hell :(

AnIco

Jtrizzy said:
Just wondering since I have both systems I'd rather have the best version if there is one.

There isn't a better version. They're identical. IW takes a lot of pride in making both of their versions equally competent.

Get the version that will allow you to play with the majority of your friends. Pretty simple.

For my second play-through I chose Veteran difficulty and beat it. Wow, what a totally different experience. Wasn't as frustrating as I imagined it was going to be although a few parts were definitely a challenge. Anyhow, great game! I have the PS3 version and didn't experience any hiccups, graphical hitches, or bugs through two play-throughs.

Jtrizzy

I had the PS3 version for MW, and I agree it was perfectly fine. I have read people here say that the 360 version had a slightly better frame rate and textures and if that is the case here, I'll get the 360 version. I have enough friends on both, so that's not really the issue.

Rlan

So has any of the people who have grabbed the copies from the store also grabbed either of the special editions? I'd like to know if the COD Classic download code actually works yet, and hey - whether it's actually good or not :)

Zinthar

TheHeretic said:
COD4 versions were identical to my knowledge, should to be the same with this iteration as well.

This has been fairly exhaustively discussed earlier in the thread. To summarize: The 360 version was better by the slightest amount, notably that it didn't drop frames quite as much as the PS3 version did, but they both had excellent framerates all around. They would likely seem identical to anyone who didn't put hours into each.

I'm considering getting both this time around... most of my friends are on the 360, but I suspect that most of the competitive players will be playing on that platform as well, so I may not get my ass kicked quite so badly on the PS3 version.

On a side note, does anyone know when reviews for MW2 are going to be released? My best guess would be tomorrow (Monday) evening.

AnIco

Jtrizzy said:
I had the PS3 version for MW, and I agree it was perfectly fine. I have read people here say that the 360 version had a slightly better frame rate and textures and if that is the case here, I'll get the 360 version. I have enough friends on both, so that's not really the issue.

DKo5 said:
re: PS3 vs 360 shots.

I took many comparison shots and videos during development to make sure both platforms were identical. In my findings there is some (extremely) slight differences in color temp (I guess due to how the systems output video), but as long as you've got your console set up properly for your display it should look the same. If the PS3 version is looking washed out then you've got something set up wonkily. Make sure to follow the brightness adjustment guide in the options menu.

And yes, on a lower end setup Full RGB _will_ crush blacks. It is not a foolproof "fix", as is the reference level adjustments on the 360.

In doing blind side by side tests at the office the ONLY person capable of picking the right version was the programmer responsible for a lot of the rendering code :p

There you go.

jred2k

This has probably been answered at some other point in this thread, but is the spawning of enemies in single-player the same as COD4? The worst part of veteran to me was always that enemies would constantly come from the exact same places unless you advanced.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
jred2k said:
This has probably been answered at some other point in this thread, but is the spawning of enemies in single-player the same as COD4? The worst part of veteran to me was always that enemies would constantly come from the exact same places unless you advanced.

1.yes it has
2.no it isn't

jred2k said:
It's been that way for the entire series. Nothing I see points to anything different for MW2.

This is most assuredly all old news, but I did a multiplayer roundup for another forum and thought maybe I'd get a few folks caught up to speed here as well.

Can you share some light on what modes you can and can't play in a party for?
TDM
MTDM*
FFA*
Domination
Ground War*
Demolition
Sabotage
HQ Pro
Search and Destroy
CTF
3rd Person Teams*
Hardcore Ricochet: SD
HC TDM
3rd Person Cage Match*

Everything with an asterisk allows you to party chat, everything without one forces you to use full team chat. Players are, of course, still mutable.

What guns from COD4 are still there?

I'm just going to list everything because I forget exactly what was in COD4

Level indication for guns I've yet to unlock.

Primary Assault Rifles
M4A1
FAMAS
SCAR-H
TAR-21
FAL
M16A4 (lv 40)
ACR (lv 48)
F2000 (lv 60)
AK-47 (lv 70)

Primary Sub Machine Guns
MP5K
UMP45
Vector
P90
Mini-Uzi (lv 44)

Primary Light Machine Guns
L86 LSW
RPD
MG4
AUG HBAR (lv 32)
M240 (lv 52)

Primary Sniper Rifles
Intervention
Barrett.50cal
WA2000 (lv 36)
M21 EBR (lv 56)

Other
Riot Sheild

Secondary Machine Pistols
PP2000
G18
M93 Raffica (lv 38)
TMP (lv 58)

Secondary Shotguns
SPAS-12
AA-12
Striker (lv 34)
Ranger (lv 42)
M1014 (lv 54)
Model 1887 (lv 67)

Secondary Handguns
USP .45
.44 Magnum
M9 (lv 46)
Desert Eagle (lv 62)

Secondary Launchers
AT4-HS
Thumper x2
Stinger (lv 30)
Javelin (Lv 50)
RPG-7 x2 (lv 65)

Tell me about weapon attachments.

Assault Rifles
Grenade Launcher
Red Dot Sight
Silencer
ACOG Scope
FMJ (Increased Bullet Penetration)
Shotgun
Holographic Sight
Heartbeat Sensor
Thermal Sight
Extended Mags

Sub Machine Guns
Assault list:
-Grenade Launcher
-Heartbeat Sensor
+Rapid Fire
+Akimbo (dual-wielding FUCK YEAH)

LMG
Assault list:
-Grenade Launcher
-Shotgun
+Grip

Sniper Rifles:
Assault list:
-Grenade Launcher
-Red Dot
-Shotgun
-Holographic

Secondary Weapons
Machine Pistols
Red Dot
Silencer
FMJ
Akimbo
Holographic Sight
Extended Mags

Shotguns
-Akimbo
+Grip

Handguns
FMJ
Akimbo
Tactical Knife

Launchers
N/A

There is also a perk (in the first perk category) called Bling that allows you to use 2x attachments on your primary weapon. The pro version of Bling allows you to use 2x attachments on your secondary weapon.

Any glitches in maps standing out to you like day 1 of WaW?

None that I've seen.

Raxus

I am still terribly confused what is going on with the resets. Are they doing it. Can I keep my titles, is leaderboards getting reset.

Top Bottom