• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

AnIco said:
Are you dense?

My point was that Uncharted 2 and MW2 have a lot in common. They're both finely crafted linear experiences. They both don't necessarily do anything new, but they refine established mechanics and gaming concepts.
They're going to give MW2 a higher score. Just accept it now and it won't hurt later on.

AnIco

nskinnear said:
You really don't see the difference between Uncharted and Call of Duty?

On a basic level, no. At their core, they're pretty much what I said previously; finely crafted linear experiences where you go from point A to point B shooting things and moving on to the next level. Both titles don't exhibit anything particularly new or revolutionary.

Obviously there are differences in terms of setting, theme, traversal, and perspective, but the reviewer was making an example of Uncharted 2 and stating that games that are absolutely brilliantly produced, yet don't bring anything new to the table, can't expect to really score much greater than what Uncharted 2 did for GameTrailers.

Dax01 said:
They're going to give MW2 a higher score. Just accept it now and it won't hurt later on.

I'm getting MW2. I hope it gets high scores. I hope it's a great game (I don't think anyone really fears that it won't be). But if we're going to take GameTrailers comment for what it is, then it shouldn't score greater than what Uncharted 2 scored.

If it does score higher, then it just shows they're hypocrites.

Scores really don't matter at all (I personally don't care for them), but AnIco is concerned that the last big hit of 09 might score higher than Uncharted 2.

Not true; I just want reviewers to be consistent.

AHHHH, there is a hurricane threatening my area. This damn storm better not shut down stores since it's supposed to hit late Monday through Tuesday. My buddy who was nice to let me play his copy took it back today, but nature is trying to fuck me over.

AnIco said:
On a basic level, no. At their core, they're pretty much what I said previously; finely crafted linear experiences where you go from point A to point B shooting things and moving on to the next level. Both titles don't exhibit anything particularly new or revolutionary.

Obviously there are differences in terms of setting, theme, traversal, and perspective, but the reviewer was making an example of Uncharted 2 and stating that games that are absolutely brilliantly produced, yet don't bring anything new to the table, can't expect to really score much greater than what Uncharted 2 did for GameTrailers.

I'm getting MW2. I hope it gets high scores. I hope it's a great game. But if we're going to take GameTrailers comment for what it is, then it shouldn't score greater than what Uncharted 2 scored.

If it does score higher, then it just shows they're hypocrites.

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/call-of-duty-4-modern-warfare/4735

Omi said:
Why, oh why are you arguing about scores? :~(
Scores really don't matter at all (I personally don't care for them), but AnIco is concerned that the last big hit of 09 might score higher than Uncharted 2.

Robot 492

Banned
shagg_187 said:
Madcatz circa 2003 is not Madcatz circa 2009. Best advice would be is that wait for reviews.
I haven't bought any of their stuff in a while. Has it really gotten any better in quality?

Stantron

johnFkennedy said:
So how reliable is amazon when it comes to delivering games on the day of release?
Your milage may vary. I've used it twice and gotten it delivered by noon (CA). But I've heard of others that have had delays to the next day.

::segway::for those who own the game, what would say is the most insignificant/useless perk? ...also, I really miss juggernaut though I hardly ever used it :3

Omi said:
Why, oh why are you arguing about scores? :~(
Dax lives to argue about pointless things all the while being completely insensitive about others' opinions. In reality, the scores don't matter one bit. It's going to be a damned good game. That's all anyone really needs to know.

Did anyone with the game confirm whether or not party chat is not allowed across all game types? Or just certain ones?

If so, which ones?

nskinnear said:
I haven't bought any of their stuff in a while. Has it really gotten any better in quality?
The last item I used by Madcatz is/was their arcade sticks, and yes, they have one of the best arcade sticks out there. They have also released premium products like Rock Band controllers and ofcourse, gamepads/controllers. Again, wait for the reviews.

Robot 492

Banned
shagg_187 said:
The last item I used by Madcatz is/was their arcade sticks, and yes, they have one of the best arcade sticks out there. They have also released premium products like Rock Band controllers and ofcourse, gamepads/controllers. Again, wait for the reviews.
Cool. We'll see then.

shagg_187 said:
Yep. I preordered Killzone 2 and it didn't show up for a week. I cancelled the order. For $3 more, I rather pick it up at local EB/BB/FS day one.

If it's an extra day or two I can wait. The $20 credit is worth it.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Wait wait wait. So MP unlocks AREN'T being reset? Does anyone have a link to the final word or the latest word on this? I looked through the last few pages and everyone seems to be saying "word is" no reset is coming, but I didn't see a link to their source.

I've been avoiding MP this weekend because I didn't want all my unlocks to be wiped. But if they're staying... I'll put in many many hours tonight :D :D

(not a real spoiler)
Is it wrong that I derive almost more enjoyment out of unlocking things in MP than actually PLAYING MP? I'm just not that good at the game so seeing that EXP bar fill is about the only thing I have going for me.. :lol

Dynamic3

GDJustin said:
Wait wait wait. So MP unlocks AREN'T being reset? Does anyone have a link to the final word or the latest word on this? I looked through the last few pages and everyone seems to be saying "word is" no reset is coming, but I didn't see a link to their source.

I've been avoiding MP this weekend because I didn't want all my unlocks to be wiped. But if they're staying... I'll put in many many hours tonight :D :D

(not a real spoiler)
Is it wrong that I derive almost more enjoyment out of unlocking things in MP than actually PLAYING MP? I'm just not that good at the game so seeing that EXP bar fill is about the only thing I have going for me.. :lol

No reset according to 402's twitter as of 6:51pm EST.

Unless you're a pirate (the software stealing kind that is, not the wooden leg and scraggly parrot kind).

Magik

A quick question for those that have played HQ Pro.

Are there more HQ locations than the 7-8 locations that were in CoD4? It really bugged me that there weren't more HQ locations when so many maps had a lot of spots that could have housed a HQ spot.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Dynamic3 said:
No reset according to 402.

Unless you're a pirate (the software stealing kind that is, not the wooden leg and scraggly parrot kind).

Excellent. Off to grind some more levels then!

shagg_187 said:
Yep. I preordered Killzone 2 and it didn't show up for a week. I cancelled the order. For $3 more, I rather pick it up at local EB/BB/FS day one.

From what I can see, Amazon still hasn't shipped MW2 yet (but they're still targeting Nov 10th as the arrival date). I'll take a couple days for $20 though...

AnIco

divisionbyzorro said:
From what I can see, Amazon still hasn't shipped MW2 yet (but they're still targeting Nov 10th as the arrival date). I'll take a couple days for $20 though...

they probably won't ship it until monday

i've never had much of a problem with getting release date shipping. they've been 100% for me

Eric WK

Did 402 delete the tweet, because I don't see it. Regardless, if they're not resetting the ranks, that's ridiculous. How does Infinity Ward completely botch everything related to their community?

And where the fuck is the community/stats site.

Flunkie

Banned
Just finished the campaign.
I hated how the story started off - it was more like "wtf is this shit?" then about halfway/three-fourths through, it got pretty sweet. I felt like MW1 had more of an impact storywise, though.

Eric WK said:
Did 402 delete the tweet, because I don't see it. Regardless, if they're not resetting the ranks, that's ridiculous. How does Infinity Ward completely botch everything related to their community?

Infinity Ward does not give a flying fuck about their community.

kaskade

divisionbyzorro said:
They ship it the day before. It'll be there though. They did that with Uncharted 2 for me.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Eric WK said:

Nope, still there. It's the second one.

@WePlayCoD @madmarzo Any players who purchased a legit retail copy will not be reset or banned. Only modded / pirate versions will be.

divisionbyzorro said:

I better get it by Wednesday, since I have the day off. My estimate arrival date is the 10th too, so im hoping it ships tomorrow and I get it Tuesday.

Weird, my copy just shipped from Amazon via USPS with a delivery date estimate of 11/13?!? Strange given that I have Prime and was promised release date shipping. :/ Guess I'll send them an email. I'm going to be pretty pissed off if it isn't here on Tuesday.

Anyo of you early buyers have the Prestige version of MW2? I'm dying to know the quality of the night vision goggles. Are they even gen 1?

Robot 492

Banned
The_Reckoning said:
That man is grumpy :(

I think the whole systems wars shit is fine and dandy when done in jest, but I think he is serious. Can a multiplatform game be a nail in a coffin?
PS3 version is dooooooooooomed! :lol

Holy shit @ this guy. His videos are :lol :lol.

Top Bottom