• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

divisionbyzorro said:
Okay GAF, help me out here. I'm starting my second prestige today, and I've decided to do a few things differently this time to keep things fresh: I'm going to try LMGs and snipers for the first time. Any pointers? What perks are good for LMGs and snipers? What's the best gun for learning how to snipe? What's a good secondary for a sniper or an LMG?

I've done two straight runs through the game pretty much only using ARs and SMGs. I feel like I should learn the other half of this game and see what it's like.

aku:jiki made some good points, here are some other big tips:

LMGs:
- HBS was made for the RPD and LSW
- MG4's grip is only useful when combined with a different sight
- If you are using the RPD or LSW, any red perk is fine
- Tactical Insertion is great for making LMGs viable flankers, especially with cold-blooded
- Marathon is crap, because if you run into an enemy while sprinting it takes time to switch out of sprint mode and raise up the sights (unless you are using lightweight)
- ACOG is only good with the grip and only good on the LSW and AUG.
- SPRINT LESS. It's slow to move, but the idea is that you are moving less and aiming more

Snipers:
- WA2000 doesn't need Stopping Power. It was only useful for the Dragonov in CoD4 because of juggernauts. In MW2, SP only helps the WA2000 in killing already damaged enemies. This doesn't apply to a silenced WA2000
- put stopping power on any silenced sniper unless you plan on using two bullets any time.
- contrary to what you might think is useful don't snipe on upper floors or upper perches. they almost always are either a lot more exposed, or a lot more obvious
- not sure if it still applies to MW2, but in CoD4, destroyed cars served as useful cover that no bullet could penetrate through.

jiien

TestOfTide said:
- not sure if it still applies to MW2, but in CoD4, destroyed cars served as useful cover that no bullet could penetrate through.

Just to confirm that MW2 is different, you can shoot through destroyed cars.

In fact, on Estate, I purposely blow up that car outside the main door of the house, so that I can stand on the side and shoot to where those people like to hide coming from the boathouse.

domstah

Jeff-DSA said:
MW2 has been my favorite online shooter in years, but I really hope we never see anything remotely as stupid as Akimbo Shotguns in a game again. Ever.

I'm going to pick up Bad Company 2 today. I don't know that it will be able to replace MW2 completely, but so far it sounds like it gives it a great run for its money.

Akimbo anything = I hate you.

+1

And can I just say that Nukes are fucking stupid too. Yay, I have 25 kill streak - that means I deserve to win, yay!

Other than that, i wub MW2.

aku:jiki

TestOfTide said:
- MG4's grip is only useful when combined with a different sight
Oh, good point! I forgot to mention that the MG4 and M240 have busted iron sights. You sort of need to have a red dot and grip on them to hit where you're actually aiming.

The MG4's iron sight is messed in that it puts the bullets at the base of the sight and not the top, so you can work around that. I'm not sure what the M240's sight issue is.

I think I posted WOR's video on the subject? Watch that.

jiien said:
Just to confirm that MW2 is different, you can shoot through destroyed cars.
Not the crashed hummer on Invasion, I found out today while trying to FMJ spray a dude who just popped back up with a shotgun. :(

I hate how that hummer still blows up too. It's already been blown up when the match starts! It's all busted to shit with no wheels! ENVIRONMENT RRRRAAAAAGE

domstah said:
+1

And can I just say that Nukes are fucking stupid too. Yay, I have 25 kill streak - that means I deserve to win, yay!
Dislike it all you want, but how is it stupid? If you reach 25 kills without dying - especially in this busted game where surviving is made infinitely harder by all the glitches and shit - you obviously did win the match. Kills are very important in objective modes too. You will not be capping any flags if the entire enemy team is alive and guarding them.

corkscrewblow said:
I lol'd

We got some clueless people giving advice in here.

It's great for ARs and SMGs, but LMGs have no use for marathon. If you need to sprint that much, you shouldn't be using an LMG.

EDIT:
aku:jiki said:
Oh, good point! I forgot to mention that the MG4 and M240 have busted iron sights. You sort of need to have a red dot and grip on them to hit where you're actually aiming.

The MG4's iron sight is messed in that it puts the bullets at the base of the sight and not the top, so you can work around that. I'm not sure what the M240's sight issue is.

No, the M240 has no sight issues, it's just that silenced fire still shows up on radar when you use the mg4 or m240.

jiien

Not the crashed hummer on Invasion, I found out today while trying to FMJ spray a dude who just popped back up with a shotgun. :(

I hate how that hummer still blows up too. It's already been blown up when the match starts! It's all busted to shit with no wheels! ENVIRONMENT RRRRAAAAAGE

Haha yeah, I forgot about some quirky vehicles here and there. I absolutely love being around cars that start blown up and stay that way (one or two on Karachi for example) because it's just a relief.

Anyway, hope you didn't die because I tricked you :(

Mileena

Banned
TestOfTide said:
It's great for ARs and SMGs, but LMGs have no use for marathon. If you need to sprint that much, you shouldn't be using an LMG.
Is there any difference between Marathon with an SMG and Marathon with an LMG? Other than running like you're in quicksand all the time, of course.

Dresden

TestOfTide said:
If Sleight of Hand Pro wasn't so good for LMGs and snipers, Marathon would be the best perk, hands-down. Even if you're camping it's good, since it lets you get to camp spot A to camp spot B quickly. Mobility is always vital.

Still using the mini-uzi. It's not the best SMG, at all--MP5 kills faster, UMP is just a better gun (but I already have Fall, so no point in using it), and the Vector feels better too. But there's something awesome about running into a room with akimbo uzis and just clearing the entire place out (why aren't they killing me, I sometimes wonder. Probably lag).

The odd thing about akimbo smgs is that you're not the master of close quarters... shotguns are. :lol So whenever people start pulling out shotguns I'm almost always going to have to get the jump on them.

Dresden said:
If Sleight of Hand Pro wasn't so good for LMGs and snipers, Marathon would be the best perk, hands-down. Even if you're camping it's good, since it lets you get to camp spot A to camp spot B quickly. Mobility is always vital.
Well, either Marathon or Scavenger. Using claymores on a sniping class is crucial to taking out those pesky enemies sneaking up behind you.

kuYuri

corkscrewblow said:
Is there any difference between Marathon with an SMG and Marathon with an LMG? Other than running like you're in quicksand all the time, of course.

The way I see it, because LMGs make you so slow, I work around the slowness by rarely covering alot of ground. I'll just stay in a relative spot and cover that area. With that being the case for me, I find Marathon a waste on that weapon class.

For LMGs, I'll use Sleight, Scavenger, or Bling instead.

But again, that's just my style.

Dresden

backflip10019 said:
Well, either Marathon or Scavenger. Using claymores on a sniping class is crucial to taking out those pesky enemies sneaking up behind you.
I love scavenger, but once you get used to SoH Pro's speedy ADS, it just feels so sluggish lifting that rifle up.

Jangocube

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:
MW2 has been my favorite online shooter in years, but I really hope we never see anything remotely as stupid as Akimbo Shotguns in a game again. Ever.

Completely agree.

I know this game doesn't strive for realism, but akimbo shotguns is just lame.

Jangocube said:
Completely agree.

In my experience, the akimbo shotguns aren't nearly as effective as the non-akimbo shotguns. Not since the Akimbo/Bling 1887s got nerfed to hell and back.

corkscrewblow said:

- you can run alot faster with SMGs
- if you happen to confront a person when sprinting, you can quickly hipfire or ADS them with an SMG, or take advantage of the quick speed to knife them
- HBS can, and should be used on LMGs, which doesn't work well if you sprint a lot

Dresden

Jangocube said:
Completely agree.

I haven't seen akimbo shotguns for a long, long time. You sometimes see akimbo rangers, but if you were close enough to be killed by two rangers, you would have died from just one, too.

The Spas-12 is where it's at.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Intervention is definitely the way to go in the beginning. I hated sniping until I clicked with it, and now that I've gotten some 800 kills with the Intervention, I'm much more comfortable using the weaker WA2000 or even (gasp!) a silenced sniper rifle. Yes, Barrett is technically supposed to be "better," but there just is something with the hitbox or whatever with the Intervention. I can't explain it, but you get those "wait what, I thought he managed to get away?" kills much more often with the Intervention than with any other sniper rifle. I mean, there is a reason why almost everyone uses the Intervention and it's not because bolt rifles are cooler.

Basically, Intervention gives you so many free kills that you feel better at sniping, which in turn will make you actually better at sniping in the long run. It's like training wheels I guess. After you learn the Intervention, the Barrett is probably the better all-round choice (faster put-down time and faster RoF) except for the fact that it's loud and everybody knows where you are when you use it. An alternative is a silenced WA2000 - it often requires you to fire two shots anyway, so you might as well go silenced.

I knew it! I knew there was something freaky about the intervention (as a regular victim). I almost never get sniped in the normal sense i.e. I've left myself exposed to someone sniping from a distance. I'm usually good at making sure I'm covered in any direction I'm not covering myself. I mostly die from snipers when its a guy quickscoping me with that son of a bitch.

I'm not sure I agree about A spawn on terminal. A is by far the easiest flag to hold, I find its very rare for a team to be able to hold B or C all game, nevermind both. Then again I've never come up against a team full of noob tubers and whatnot. Surely the paths from A to B are quite evenly balanced. If they want to get to A, they have to run the gauntlet and its a path thats easier for A to defend than it is for B to attack. A can also get through the window to flank B or anyone in the plane, an option not open to people at B. C seems quite even as well.

It was probably just a case of your team being overpowered by a more organised team of noob tubers, which lets face it is a powerful opponent in any circumstance. In no way should spawning at your only flag be considered broken, if anything you wanna rush back to defend it. Spawning anywhere else would be broken imo.

Mileena

Banned
TestOfTide said:
- you can run alot faster with SMGs
- if you happen to confront a person when sprinting, you can quickly hipfire or ADS them with an SMG, or take advantage of the quick speed to knife them
- HBS can, and should be used on LMGs, which doesn't work well if you sprint a lot
- I know that, I stated that in my question
- LMGs come out slower/ADS slower after sprinting? I did not know this, then again I never use LMGs
- HBS shouldn't be used on any gun
Strider2K99 said:
The way I see it, because LMGs make you so slow, I work around the slowness by rarely covering alot of ground. I'll just stay in a relative spot and cover that area. With that being the case for me, I find Marathon a waste on that weapon class.

For LMGs, I'll use Sleight, Scavenger, or Bling instead.

But again, that's just my style.
THIS I can understand.

Oh man, the spawn placements in this game! I just got to spawn at the house in Estate in Sabotage for the first time in forever and decided to check out the sniping line of sight from spawn to spawn. Oh my god, you see the entire team before they can get anywhere! I got 4 kills in like 10 seconds! :lol :lol

corkscrewblow said:
I did not know this, then again I never use LMGs
So, what, your lol was at your own reading comprehension? He was saying Marathon is useless on LMG's, and I mostly agree except for the L86. It feels a slight more mobile than the rest.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
man I never pay attention to the various spawn points. does anyone have a bunch of maps with them all labelled or anything like that?

corkscrewblow said:

This is why this game is so addictive. Because I completely disagree with this statement (have had a regular 2.0k/d since moving to HBS), and yet we're probably both right. For our respective play styles, HBS is useless to him, and absolutely fantastic for me.

In fact, when I go without a HBS I feel absolutely naked/vulnerable.

jiien

Omar Ismail said:

Not saying you suck or anything, but the sooner you rid yourself of that crutch, the better player you will be, seriously.

Anecdotal, but: I had a friend who used to swear by the HBS, and because of it, he used to get decent ratios per game. Always positive, at least. Good for him! I told him to just go without it for a while. His ratio dropped horribly for a week or two, and then started climbing back up, and he does better now than he did previously. On top of that, he's a more well-rounded player, and has expanded his class slots to include things other than a HBS on every single gun.

If you know your spawns (or even if you don't, I know I don't know that crap), and if you know how people move through the maps, you'll never need a HBS outside of those camping fucks in Favela bathrooms.

I think people tend to rag on the HBS because of this reason, as many view it as an 'easy win' button, 'dur I dunno where people will be so let me get an attachment that will point them out for me'. While the HBS has it uses and I wouldn't say it's users suck, I think better players have learned to play well without it because ultimately there are better attachments, and battlefield awareness (it's a brain attachment!) can take the place of an HBS any day.

Mileena

Banned
So, what, your lol was at your own reading comprehension? He was saying Marathon is useless on LMG's, and I mostly agree except for the L86. It feels a slight more mobile than the rest.
not really... his statement was
Marathon is crap, because if you run into an enemy while sprinting it takes time to switch out of sprint mode and raise up the sights

That holds true for all guns, not just LMGs.

I've been trying to like the TMP again, but damn it, they make it so hard. I have no idea why they gave it such a ridiculously tiny clip when it isn't even that strong. If two enemies show up, you're just fucked to hell! But at the same time, it feels just like using a Mini-Uzi so I keep fucking up and think I can spray when I see two guys. :(

Also, not getting to pick maps is such a pain in the ass when you're trying for specific things... I want to play only Highrise and Scrapyard all day long for my FMJ kills, please! Don't give me Afghan, there's not a single window on that damn map!

Omar Ismail said:
This is why this game is so addictive. Because I completely disagree with this statement (have had a regular 2.0k/d since moving to HBS), and yet we're probably both right. For our respective play styles, HBS is useless to him, and absolutely fantastic for me.

Dude... Walking around slowly and waiting for beeps on your gun-TV is not a playstyle.

corkscrewblow said:
That holds true for all guns, not just LMGs.
We were talking about LMG's, he was being specific.

corkscrewblow said:
- I know that, I stated that in my question
- LMGs come out slower/ADS slower after sprinting? I did not know this, then again I never use LMGs

- LMGs have very slow ADS time, and since we are talking about a situation where you are using Marathon, that means no sleight of hand. That wouldn't guarantee your death except for the added time needed to to go sprint mode to regular walking mode (i.e. the thing lightweight pro reduces). Your opponent will likely either shoot you first or knife you before they get shot.
- You hate HBS because you clearly prefer a more mobile playstyle, its the same reason you don't use LMGs. But I think you could imagine a playstyle that takes things slowly, waits for the area to be clear, leaves a TI as a checkpoint, and prefers being able to anticipate people around the corner. That's the way I play the LMG. So while everyone else insists on using silence

Willeth

If you're having trouble ADSing after sprinting with an LMG, use Lightweight Pro. It's not like you need Stopping Power with an LMG in any case.

So I tooled around for an hour and a half. My thoughts so far:

• The RPD is great. Great power, and I love never having to reload. The irons are only so-so on it, so I think I might end up going with Bling for my blue perk on this gun. I typically avoid Bling, but grip + RDS might make the difference for me.
  • I used both Marathon and Sleight of Hand with the RPD. Since SoH isn't Pro yet, it felt entirely useless. Marathon enabled me to get into good positions better. So Marathon was better for me, but I should probably revisit that debate once I get SoH Pro.
  • It seems like many more blue perks are viable with LMGs. I pretty much always used Scavenger on ARs and Marathon on SMGs, but with LMGs I'm still very much debating. I'm curious to see where I'll settle.
  • Sniping is a chore. I have a lot to learn and it's incredibly frustrating trying to learn. I feel like waiting until I have Sleight of Hand Pro - my sensitivity isn't high enough to hardscope forever and the delay to ADS with a sniper is killing me.
  • HOLY SHIT THE MP5K IS AWFUL!! My buddy told me to wait until I could use it akimbo and it could be useful, but it's so painful to use that I don't know if I can deal with it...

Insaniac

Dislike it all you want, but how is it stupid? If you reach 25 kills without dying - especially in this busted game where surviving is made infinitely harder by all the glitches and shit - you obviously did win the match. Kills are very important in objective modes too. You will not be capping any flags if the entire enemy team is alive and guarding them.

I just wanna say that in a game of groundwar TDM on terminal I went 23-0 and our team lost the game. So if I had gotten 2 more kills I would have 'obviously' won the game?

jiien

divisionbyzorro said:
HOLY SHIT THE MP5K IS AWFUL!! My buddy told me to wait until I could use it akimbo and it could be useful, but it's so painful to use that I don't know if I can deal with it...

The MP5K is the best SMG you can use for close quarters, so you have to keep that in mind and avoid trying to win even mid range firefights. All the other SMGs make mid range fights somewhat viable (everyone loves crazy ass long range shots with a silenced UMP), but it's pretty much impossible with the MP5K, so force yourself to hip fire at close range, and try to avoid head on midrange fights. You can try sticking a silencer on it too, because it feels like it reduces recoil for ADS. If you have to ADS, try to aim lower, like low midsection, because the recoil will kick the gun up a lot after two or three shots.

Anyway, I know you're not a new player or anything, but keep in mind that the MP5K damage drops to HALF outside of range, unlike most guns which drop to 75%. So yeah, definitely stay in range as much as possible, or you could be looking at five shots to down someone, which is painful regardless of the gun you use.

But yeah, MP5K (in my opinion) was made for akimbo. Very, very powerful, and the practice you get trying to stay in close quarters with one MP5K will make you dominate when you get two.

Nizz

^^Good advice, jiien^^ I like the MP5K, but I try to take on people closer to me than try to use it at a distance. Up close, with a silencer attached it does decent work.

Feels good finally getting some of my old stuff back. On my second prestige now and I really doubt I'm gonna move on. It's terrible trying to take down a chopper with the AT-4 (I think that's what it's called). Just got the Stinger again last night. Back to shooting down choppers/harriers again. ;)

A couple of perks are at pro again too for me, like Stopping Power, Sleight of Hand, Steady Aim, Marathon and Hardline. Now I need to work on Lightweight, Scrambler, Bling and others.

domstah

I think that instantly winning match just because you have 25 kills without dying, especially if your team is losing is stupid. Any "I win" button is stupid - the idea that your killstreak invalidates the efforts of the other team - especially in objective-based games - just doesn't make sense.

I'm not saying that the player who gets 25 kills lacks skill - but I'm guessing that if you are gunning for a nuke, you aren't trying to capture any flags and probably playing the game like TDM.

Nukes and Akimbo. Please Treyach, don't bring them to the jungle.

cdyhybrid

divisionbyzorro said:
[*] Sniping is a chore. I have a lot to learn and it's incredibly frustrating trying to learn. I feel like waiting until I have Sleight of Hand Pro - my sensitivity isn't high enough to hardscope forever and the delay to ADS with a sniper is killing me.

SoH Pro helps a TON for sniping. Try practicing with higher sensitivity. I think mine is either 5 or 6 (360) and even that feels a little slow sometimes. One thing that made me a lot better is not trying to hold my breath for every shot (no idea if you're doing that or not, but I was a sniper noob before this game and actually did that). I pretty much only hold my breath for when someone is standing still behind a box or something and only their head is sticking out (sometimes not even then). Otherwise, I just adjust for the sway and shoot as soon as they're in the crosshairs.

It also helps to already be aiming in the general direction you want to shoot before you ADS. You cover ground a lot faster when you adjust your aim outside of ADS. Started off with the Intervention, but switched to the Barrett because it just worked better for me. Thinking of going back to the Intervention next prestige (P5L60 right now, haven't used it since P3 I think) to see if I've gotten better with it. I hate the M21 EBR (and the WA2K to a lesser extent) because having to hit people twice can be a chore, especially when 99% of the players online only expose themselves moving between camping spots. Plus, it just feels cheesy using a sniper rifle with no recoil.

divisionbyzorro said:

• Sniping is a chore. I have a lot to learn and it's incredibly frustrating trying to learn. I feel like waiting until I have Sleight of Hand Pro - my sensitivity isn't high enough to hardscope forever and the delay to ADS with a sniper is killing me.
Honestly, snipers need to be buffed big time. It's ridiculous that an AR can hit from the same distance as a sniper and still do the same damage with a much bigger fire rate. I wish that all of the snipers were one hit kills (except maybe for arm shots). It would make them so much more valuable.

divisionbyzorro said:

• The RPD is great. Great power, and I love never having to reload. The irons are only so-so on it, so I think I might end up going with Bling for my blue perk on this gun. I typically avoid Bling, but grip + RDS might make the difference for me.

• you aren't going to like what they do with sights on the RPD. They don't remove the ironsights ever.

And snipers don't need to be buffed, it's just that ARs and UMPs need to have more idle sway.

mr_boo

VaLiancY said:
MP5k is about average to me, I prefer the UMP, Vector, P90 over it. I still haven't touched the Uzi.
After several long sessions with the UMP and the MU, I prefer the MU over the UMP. From my experience, since MU out performs the UMP in CQB, its the better SMG. May be crazy, but the UMP ought to be compared to the TAR and SCAR rather than other SMGs. Haven't messed with the P90 and only started with the Vector. So far, the Vector seems ok.

diehard

Fleer
OMGLOL A LLAMA said:
Also, as a total noob about guns, why is something like akimbo unrealistic?
The strength that would be required just to control 2 fully auto .45's or 2 .50 AE pistols would be enormous, let alone actually being effective with them. There is just absolutely no way any highly trained soldier would ever try to akimbo anything in any sort of normal combat setting.

teh

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:

I'm going to pick up Bad Company 2 today. I don't know that it will be able to replace MW2 completely, but so far it sounds like it gives it a great run for its money.

Yea I used to always get pissed when I got killed by the akimbo assholes, so yesterday I ganked this guy's akimbo shotties after I murked him and went on a 12 kill streak, laughing the whole time as I marathonned across the map. The "mis-balance" in the game makes it more interesting because it makes it so much fun getting revenge like that

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
DarknessTear said:
Was it on Wasteland?

Scrap yard on Demolition. Killed 3 people in the air strike and then it racked up the rest as the oppositions scrambled to diffuse both bombsites.

Jeff-DSA said:

Doesn't perfect dark have akimbo shotties like goldeneye did? :D

Top Bottom