• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

0OoO0 said:
Haven't been following this game lately...does anyone know if the developer will be releasing new maps for multiplayer? I am so sick of all the multiplayer maps

lack of a double XP weekend so far is strange I thought as well, would think with BFBC2 launching it would be a great time but seems not.

Cornbread78

Skel said:
You on 360? I need someone to spec ops with too. Send me a PM if you want to play.

As for the TAR-21, I agree it is great with Hardline. What do you guys use for the first perk with TAR? I usually go back and forth from Bling (Silencer and Grenade) to Scavenger Pro to sometimes SoH Pro. What do you guys like best for it?

The TAR is tough to use at times with it's short ammo supply, but I'll still use it when I want a break from the RPD.

Typical Loadout:

Tar-21
Spas or Stinger

- Bling or Scav (red dot/Silancer)
- Hardline or S.P.
- Commando

Skel said:
You on 360? I need someone to spec ops with too. Send me a PM if you want to play.

As for the TAR-21, I agree it is great with Hardline. What do you guys use for the first perk with TAR? I usually go back and forth from Bling (Silencer and Grenade) to Scavenger Pro to sometimes SoH Pro. What do you guys like best for it?

I always use Scavenger Pro as my blue perk. The only other perk I'll ever use is Marathon, and only on a runner build. Having extra clips of ammunition and the ability to grab more claymores/grenades is invaluable.

My go-to build right now is

• TAR-21 + Silencer
  • AA-12 + Grip
  • Claymore
  • Scavenger Pro
  • Hardline Pro
  • Ninja Pro

My favorite thing in this game now is to destroy harriers within 3 seconds of arrival. I wish I could feel peoples hatred for me when they get 0 kills off the final machine gun airship that comes by.

Accidentus

Neo Member
JustHadToJoin said:
My favorite thing in this game now is to destroy harriers within 3 seconds of arrival. I wish I could feel peoples hatred for me when they get 0 kills off the final machine gun airship that comes by.
I always love it when I have a guy like you on my team. It frustrates me when a harrier or attack chopper is doing work on my team and nobody bothers to shoot it down. I mean, it's understandable if it kills you once if you don't have secondary launcher equipped, but why do people respawn as a non-coldblooded non-launcher class? Obviously you were just killed by it, doesn't everyone have at least 1 CB stinger class? What is wrong with people?

I like you...if you're on my team!
I just prestiged again, want those stingers back real bad. Real bad.
Will scavenger pro at least give me an extra rocket on that first launcher? So stupid that thing is only good for killing snipers in windows with danger close, which is a level 50 or something perk? I already miss all my stuff...

Was playing in a random lobby with some 2nd and 3rd prestige, no one shoots down air support >:|. Don't even have cold blooded back yet.

Accidentus said:
I always love it when I have a guy like you on my team. It frustrates me when a harrier or attack chopper is doing work on my team and nobody bothers to shoot it down. I mean, it's understandable if it kills you once if you don't have secondary launcher equipped, but why do people respawn as a non-coldblooded non-launcher class? Obviously you were just killed by it, doesn't everyone have at least 1 CB stinger class? What is wrong with people?

I will grenade myself when the announcer says *whatever enemy air support* incoming if I am not busy. I mostly play objective game types though, so it's more critical to shoot it down I think.

itsnervedamage said:
I like you...if you're on my team!
I just prestiged again, want those stingers back real bad. Real bad.
Will scavenger pro at least give me an extra rocket on that first launcher? So stupid that thing is only good for killing snipers in windows with danger close, which is a level 50 or something perk? I already miss all my stuff...

Was playing in a random lobby with some 2nd and 3rd prestige, no one shoots down air support >:|. Don't even have cold blooded back yet.

They were probably all doing the same thing:

Screaming "WHY ISN'T SOMEONE ELSE SHOOTING DOWN AIR SUPPORT!" at the tv screen.

It feels so good that I don't even have a launcher class, I have the damn rocket on me at all times. And cold blooded can go kick rocks, I want the enemy to know exactly where that rocket came from

kuYuri

For people who prestige, keep in mind the Cold Blooded glitch still exists if you want to make it Pro or build it up really fast and get some quick XP.

WoodWERD

Skel said:

I run the TAR as my primary class and I don't deviate from SoH pro. Granted I play HCTDM, so the extra time you save while ADS is a little more crucial. TAR + SoH + CB + Ninja = dirty. Almost at that 1k headshot mark!

Accidentus said:

I prestiged for the second time now, sitting at level 24 and constantly rip my hair out, because in the last few days I've been playing games with teams who don't seem to have equipped a Stinger or Javelin at all. And I can't fucking equip it, because you get it so fucking late...

Patrick Bateman said:
I prestiged for the second time now, sitting at level 24 and constantly rip my hair out, because in the last few days I've been playing games with teams who don't seem to have equipped a Stinger or Javelin at all. And I can't fucking equip it, because you get it so fucking late...

Easily the worst part about prestige for me.

LosDaddie

Banned
divisionbyzorro said:
So I had my first real session of Spec Ops last night - that was really a lot of fun! We went throught all of Alpha, and half of Bravo, Charlie, and Delta, all on Veteran difficulty. I see what all the hype is about, but after 6.5 days of multiplayer, there were a few things that made it feel so weird. Specifically, I forgot that there are no hit markers in non-multiplayer modes! That, plus the lack of feedback on kills, made it feel really unfamiliar.

But it really was a lot of fun!

Yeah, like I was saying last week, a friend & I are currently working through Spec Ops on Veteran...and loving it. Really enjoyable, action-packed set pieces perfect for 2 people to play.

I also love the fact each mission only takes about 20min too. Makes it easy to game for a little bit and feel like you accomplished something.

mr_boo

I've always heard that the distinct advantage that the TAR has over the other ARs is the hipfire, which is why some folks use Steady Aim with it. Is this correct? Otherwise, why would I use the TAR over the SCAR? They are both fully-auto and damage wise, they are the same (even the range characteristics seem to be the same) - I'm guessing it has to do with the RPM comparisons or some other characteristics like recoil, iron sights, etc.

Also, switched over to the SPAS this weekend I wasn't too happy with it (and it could be just my inability to use it correctly or cause I wasn't using SP with the kit) so I switched over the the AA-12. Gotta say, AA-12 is a lot more forgiving to use and guarantees that at least your adversary is going down since it's spammable.

Speaking of Spec Ops, anyone else on PS3 but needs more/some people to play with? I played with my friends but they have 360s and I wanna use my full screen and ps3 to do it. Anyone else interested? We could even get a ps3 spec ops chat going where you could find people willing to play at any time of the day. Add me with a message people, I really wanna do spec ops

aku:jiki

I just had the most bullshit death I've ever had in this game. I just hit my streak and knew that I had another easy kill in the area because I saw a guy just aimlessly crouching around on the UAV. Decided to go for him and help my streak instead of launching that Pred first. I eventually found him and got a SPAS shell in him. Of course, the shitty crouching hitbox let him get away with just a little jelly. Chased him down and blasted him again with his back fully turned, running away from me...

He goes into Last Stand and Commando teleports a good 5 meters in Last Stand. WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK IN FUCK GOD DAMN IT RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAGE

mr_boo said:
Otherwise, why would I use the TAR over the SCAR?
Because the SCAR kinda sucks. I have no understanding for why it's so popular. Yeah, it gets kills...but so does every other AR. And they don't have a 3 bullet clip and 10 bullets in the reserve (without Scavenger). Reloading after every single kill is a pain in the ass. For a weapon with such a small clip, it has a heinously long reload time too.

Yeah, all of these flaws can be countered by perks but TAR and most other AR's don't have these flaws so you don't need to.

Argh, I hate this fucking game right now. Whenever I seem to be doing well, the game lags out because the host quits and host migration is a piece of shit that never works. And then every other game that I'm thrown into, the teams are so wildly unbalanced. I'll have three or so teammates that consistently go 3-15 in TDM matches while the other team has people getting Chopper Gunners every match. After the match, I quit out of that lobby and join another just to have the same shit happen over and over again. Matchmaking really needs a fucking face lift.

aku:jiki said:
He goes into Last Stand and Commando teleports a good 5 meters in Last Stand. WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK IN FUCK GOD DAMN IT RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAGE

Oh wow I never ever seen this or even thought about it until now. Thats messed up. :lol

I just had the most bullshit death I've ever had in this game. I just hit my streak and knew that I had another easy kill in the area because I saw a guy just aimlessly crouching around on the UAV. Decided to go for him and help my streak instead of launching that Pred first. I eventually found him and got a SPAS shell in him. Of course, the shitty crouching hitbox let him get away with just a little jelly. Chased him down and blasted him again with his back fully turned, running away from me...

Commando is still active during Final Stand? :lol :lol I gotta admit - that is total bullshit.

Dresden

If you have the AT4HS equipped and try to fire as you get gunned down, so long as you have Last Stand you'll still finish firing and likely kill them, as well. Doesn't happen with RPGs though.

VaLiancY

Because the SCAR kinda sucks. I have no understanding for why it's so popular. Yeah, it gets kills...but so does every other AR. And they don't have a 3 bullet clip and 10 bullets in the reserve (without Scavenger). Reloading after every single kill is a pain in the ass. For a weapon with such a small clip, it has a heinously long reload time too.

Minimal vertical recoil.
Great sights.
Very high accuracy.
Great power with and without a suppressor.

divisionbyzorro said:
Commando is still active during Final Stand? :lol :lol I gotta admit - that is total bullshit.
I don't think it is. It has to have been a lag freakout of some kind. It made me slam down on the power button on the 360 though, that's for damn sure. :lol

VaLiancY said:
Minimal vertical recoil.
Great sights.
Very high accuracy.
Great power with and without a suppressor.
That list describes every AR in the game except for F2000, FAL and maybe the AK-47...

jiien

That list describes every AR in the game except for F2000, FAL and maybe the AK-47...

I personally think the SCAR some of the best sights in the whole game. They don't block much, unlike the M4, M16, maybe ACR, and so on. I find myself holding my sights off center while watching something more often than not on other guns just because they visually block whatever area I'm trying to watch.

But I definitely agree that the SCAR is overrated. It was pretty much the only gun I used way back when, before I prestiged for the first time, and I would have swore by it. But I got bored, and started branching out, and while it's still a great gun (it plays the role of a long range AR very, very well), there are many other guns that are just better than it in other ways, and you can do well with other guns too.

The SCAR is still a powerful AR for range though. Its two problems are its rate of fire and clip size.

Edit: Isn't the SCAR the only highly-accurate 40-30 gun in the AR lineup?

M4 - accurate - 30/20
TAR - not accurate - 40/30
FAL - not auto - 50/35/30 (?) forgot :p
FAMAS - burst - 40/30
M16 - burst - 40/30
ACR - accurate - 30/20
F2000 - not accurate - 40/30
AK - sway - 40/30

Am I missing one? Anyway, the SCAR is popular probably because of it's damage per bullet (not that damage per bullet is the end-all of how good a gun is, just saying) and it's fully auto while still being accurate. The only other ARs that are as accurate as the SCAR are 30/20.

And by accuracy, I just meant how well the gun comes back to original position after firing each bullet. No recoil, etc, you guys know what I mean.

jiien said:
I personally think the SCAR some of the best sights in the whole game. They don't block much, unlike the M4, M16, maybe ACR, and so on. I find myself holding my sights off center while watching something more often than not on other guns just because they visually block whatever area I'm trying to watch.

But I definitely agree that the SCAR is overrated. It was pretty much the only gun I used way back when, before I prestiged for the first time, and I would have swore by it. But I got bored, and started branching out, and while it's still a great gun (it plays the role of a long range AR very, very well), there are many other guns that are just better than it in other ways, and you can do well with other guns too.

The SCAR is still a powerful AR for range though. Its two problems are its rate of fire and clip size.

Edit: Isn't the SCAR the only highly-accurate 40-30 gun in the AR lineup?

M4 - accurate - 30/20
TAR - not accurate - 40/30
FAL - not auto - 50/35/30 (?) forgot :p
FAMAS - burst - 40/30
M16 - burst - 40/30
ACR - accurate - 30/20
F2000 - not accurate - 40/30
AK - sway - 40/30

Am I missing one? Anyway, the SCAR is popular probably because of it's damage per bullet (not that damage per bullet is the end-all of how good a gun is, just saying) and it's fully auto while still being accurate. The only other ARs that are as accurate as the SCAR are 30/20.

And by accuracy, I just meant how well the gun comes back to original position after firing each bullet. No recoil, etc, you guys know what I mean.

Those numbers sort of quantify the feeling of the scar. I also think since it's available so early, and has the most unobtrusive sights for use at range it makes it easy to get attached to.

Nizz

Patrick Bateman said:
I'm going through the exact same thing. I'm at level 20, second prestige and yesterday the team I was on there was an enemy Harrier going, then a chopper. I tried to take them out with the first launcher you get, I think it's the AT-4?

But yep, as I was aiming at the Harrier/choppa I get killed because I don't have Cold Blooded equipped/no stinger. I think I'm pretty set in staying at prestige level 2. It's kinda fun prestiging but you lose so much at the same time.

VaLiancY

Very few of the assualt rifles have all of those traits. A lot of the assault rifles are extremely viable and fit into a variety of play styles. I find the SCAR is very viable in the medium to long range and less forgiven in close quarters combat due to its reload time and magazine but I use SCAR with extended magazines so that problem alleviated with my playstyle with the use of Sleight of Hand.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Well, finally polished off the campaign. Man, what a total clusterfuck. The end credits were really awesome, but kind of depressed me. Seeing all the characters like that I thought: all that money, all those talented people, and this is the outcome? So many of the "sets" were incredible. Gulag, White House/Monument, etc. But the actual gameplay was shockingly mindnumbing and boring.

For me, Infinity Ward >>>>>>>>> Bungie, DICE, Geurilla, and, well, anyone when it comes to the core shooting model they got going. Nobody comes close. It could just be the 60fps, I don't know. But NO game feels as good as MW2. Everything is so precise and smooth.

I traded the game in and got Mass Effect 2. I've had enough of the multiplayer. I really enjoyed it and was quite addicted to it. Got up to a 1.52 k/d but then I hit a wall and the game stopped being fun. Just annoying. Really, really annoying.

I enjoyed playing with everyone. On to Battlefield 2/Reach...

Ballistik

Strider2K99 said:
For people who prestige, keep in mind the Cold Blooded glitch still exists if you want to make it Pro or build it up really fast and get some quick XP.
I don't think so... I've tried it multiple times since the update and nothing. I already got cold-blooded pro the proper way for this prestige so I'm not complaining.

VaLiancY said:
Very few of the assualt rifles have all of those traits. A lot of the assault rifles are extremely viable and fit into a variety of play styles. I find the SCAR is very viable in the medium to long range and less forgiven in close quarters combat due to its reload time and magazine but I use SCAR with extended magazines so that problem alleviated with my playstyle with the use of Sleight of Hand.
I guess it just comes down to how you play. The only AR that I have problems with aiming and getting longshots with is (of course) the F2000.

I will say that I found out today that SCAR is pretty beastly through walls with FMJ. Haven't gotten kills as easily as that even with LMG's! Got to really test it out on Estate when snipers and FAMAS campers were holing up in the C house. I just sprayed below all the common windows and behind each one was a quick kill! :lol

Ballistik said:
I don't think so... I've tried it multiple times since the update and nothing. I already got cold-blooded pro the proper way for this prestige so I'm not complaining.
Nah, it still works. I did it last lap. It just doesn't seem to always work for whatever reason - sometimes I spray 50 bullets into a spinning PaveLow and get jack shit for it too.

Really wish there was a trick like that for Marathon. Besides the lack of Stingers, Ninja and CB, the slow-ass climbing of regular Marathon is the biggest pain in the ass of prestiging for me. My speed classes need to actually be fast!

VaLiancY

I guess it just comes down to how you play. The only AR that I have problems with aiming and getting longshots with is (of course) the F2000.

I will say that I found out today that SCAR is pretty beastly through walls with FMJ. Haven't gotten kills as easily as that even with LMG's! Got to really test it out on Estate when snipers and FAMAS campers were holing up in the C house. I just sprayed below all the common windows and behind each one was a quick kill! :lol

I get most of my FMJ kills on that map. Everyone stands by the big ass windows thinking their perfectly concealed and covered and boom..."+50"

Jrmint

Knife Runners and Douches who sit in the bathroom on Estate is seriously making me consider BC2.. IW seriously needs to get this map pack out.

DoomGyver

It has probably been mentioned before but last night I stole a bunch of enemy care packages (4 or 5) and I noticed that there is a secret challenge called "Hijacker"

Hijacker I, II, and III - Steal 10, 50, and 200 enemy crates (care package, sentry gun, and emergency airdrop.) Worth 1,000, 3,000, and 5,000 EXP respectively. Challenge I unlocks the Hijacker title, Challenge II unlocks the Bounty Hunter title, and challenge III unlocks the treasure chest emblem.

I guess they reset when you prestige? I should be pretty close to 50.

JustHadToJoin said:
Lately I've become that guy as well. One match I shot down 3 harriers and 2 CGs (although I think one of them got a couple of kills in). Hopefully people appreciate it as I do get myself killed at times trying to do it though.

mr_boo

Shalashaska said:
Lately I've become that guy as well. One match I shot down 3 harriers and 2 CGs (although I think one of them got a couple of kills in). Hopefully people appreciate it as I do get myself killed at times trying to do it though.
I'll knock out air support if the match is competitive. Lately, I've been on such bad teams - we're already fighting an large point differential and there's no point to prolonging the pain when all that's happening is a massacre of my team.

Couple of complaints that have developed for me are: (a) map rotation doesn't seem to be random enough and (b) spawning in Derail sucks (nothing like spawning on the far opposite end of the action - Marathon seems like a requirement now for that Map).

backflip10019 said:
Argh, I hate this fucking game right now. Whenever I seem to be doing well, the game lags out because the host quits and host migration is a piece of shit that never works. And then every other game that I'm thrown into, the teams are so wildly unbalanced. I'll have three or so teammates that consistently go 3-15 in TDM matches while the other team has people getting Chopper Gunners every match. After the match, I quit out of that lobby and join another just to have the same shit happen over and over again. Matchmaking really needs a fucking face lift.

On the other hand its awesome being the one that dominates a team, and then get to play against them again. A while back I got back to back Nukes on the same guys, the first time they all congratulated me, but the second time the anger was incredible, they just couldnt believe I nuked them twice in a row :lol

Nah, it still works. I did it last lap. It just doesn't seem to always work for whatever reason - sometimes I spray 50 bullets into a spinning PaveLow and get jack shit for it too.

Really wish there was a trick like that for Marathon. Besides the lack of Stingers, Ninja and CB, the slow-ass climbing of regular Marathon is the biggest pain in the ass of prestiging for me. My speed classes need to actually be fast!
Join a match (objective based is probably best) and put a rubber band around your analogs. Your character will run in circles and get your running class up to speed (major pun intended!) While you do that, go eat a bagel, watch some TV, browse GAF, clean up your friends list.... the possibilities are endless!

Accidentus

Neo Member
Skel said:
Knife Runners and Douches who sit in the bathroom on Estate is seriously making me consider BC2.. IW seriously needs to get this map pack out.
Alot of the map problems could be alleviated if IW took a look at the "skip map" data and re-weighted the playlists appropriately. There's no reason I should be playing Rundown 2x as much as Sub Base or Terminal

DMasta718

Banned
Accidentus said:
Alot of the map problems could be alleviated if IW took a look at the "skip map" data and re-weighted the playlists appropriately. There's no reason I should be playing Rundown 2x as much as Sub Base or Terminal

Correct. For example, Me and my team are just done playing Rundown. We see a map we don't want to play and skip that just to get the Rundown map again. It's fucking annoying.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Weekends where you get, well, double XP.

Used to love 'em in COD4. It will almost certainly happen when the new map pack arrives.
Never heard of them.

Is it only the bonus xp that doubles or do you get 100 instead of 50 for a kill on domination?
If that is true I will try to do another full prestige just in that weekend. :D

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Anaxagoras said:
If that is true I will try to do another full prestige just in that weekend. :D

Thats what I did with WaW. Maybe not quite a full one but I'd atleast zip through the first 37 levels so I could get my bettys and STG.

Speaking of which I just played of few games of WaW and I still love it.

Brian Fellows said:
Thats what I did with WaW. Maybe not quite a full one but I'd atleast zip through the first 37 levels so I could get my bettys and STG.

Speaking of which I just played of few games of WaW and I still love it.

Dogs. W@W has dogs. *shudder*

I was P1, level fifty-something when I quit W@W, largely due to tanks and dogs. Ugh.

Dresden

I loved dogs. I prestiged twice before I quit WaW, and my number one weapon was dogs, followed by the Kar98k.

Never liked tanks though. They were easily taken out, but like harriers and choppers in this game, too many people didn't understand the concept of satchels=blow shit up.

Top Bottom