• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Accidentus said:
I 100% agree. I don't know how some people swear by the Intervention. It seems really random for some reason. Dead center chest shots won't be 1 shot kills but shoulder shots/complete misses will be. Maybe this has to do with the accuracy idk? The Barrett is much more consistent.

And the ability to spam with it without having to resort to switching to a sidearm is helpful too. I even pulled off a no-scope headshot in one game. I probably used it more than I should have in that capacity, but I want to complete challenges with it.

I still have a lot to learn; going 1:1 with it is certainly nothing to be incredibly proud of, but I'm starting to realize that I'm going to have to start looking at the maps through a totally different lens in order to have success. Underpass and Afghan felt especially different - I really want to get a Skidrow game shortly so I can experience what it's like to be the douchebag sniper on the east steps :lol

divisionbyzorro said:
And the ability to spam with it without having to resort to switching to a sidearm is helpful too. I even pulled off a no-scope headshot in one game. I probably used it more than I should have in that capacity, but I want to complete challenges with it.

I still have a lot to learn; going 1:1 with it is certainly nothing to be incredibly proud of, but I'm starting to realize that I'm going to have to start looking at the maps through a totally different lens in order to have success. Underpass and Afghan felt especially different - I really want to get a Skidrow game shortly so I can experience what it's like to be the douchebag sniper on the east steps :lol
I use the Intervention exclusively as my sniper of choice (usually with FMJ unless I'm playing Wasteland in which case I change to Thermal). I think that the reason that the Intervention is so popular is because: A) the recoil is very minimal compared to the Barrett so that shots can be lined up more quickly and effectively, B) it feels so bad ass getting kills with a bolt-action rifle and C) because the sound of the shot feels bad ass.

I'd say that when I snipe, I usually get at least a 2:1 ratio. Sniping in MW2 is really about learning the maps and learning which areas give you the greatest lines of sight. There are so many that I've found over the past couple of months that I would have missed had I not been looking for sniping spots. For instance, on Quarry if you spawn at C, you can follow the path to the left until you run into the area where the path splits and goes two ways, one downhill to B and the other that goes around the outside to A. If you split off before that and go into the building at the left and up the stairs, there is a great vantage point for both of the paths which you can easily guard
camp
and get a few kills. If I spawn at A on Quarry, I'll go to the left and straight up into the crate and watch the "quarry area" at the top of the huge ramp. It's usually pretty easy to get one or two kills in the beginning of a match because so many people run to that area off the C spawn.

Also, if you're going to be sniping more often, I would suggest upping your sensitivity. I play at 5 and sometimes I even find that too slow. Hell, my brother plays at 10 (!!!!) and he's really good at sniping. It really helps when you scope in and notice someone at the edge of your scope and need to make a quick shot, as well as in CQC instances. Speaking of CQC, the only way that you can really get better at quick scoping (besides equipping Sleight of Hand) is by practicing. I've been playing a lot with the Intervention probably for the past two prestiges (probably 4 days of gameplay), and I can accurately say that I hit the enemy with about 50% of the quick scope shots that I take (they don't always die
thanks for not buffing the sniper, IW
, but they do damage).

Just keep practicing and soon you'll notice how effective the Intervention can be. Sure, you'll lose a lot of 1 on 1 situations where you and the enemy spot each other at the same time (esp. to people using ARs), but that's unavoidable because IW made ARs so ridiculously strong.

Patrick Bateman said:
I wonder how much those newold maps will be. :(
I'm really hoping that each pack won't be more than 1200 pts each, but I can definitely see MS bleeding CoD fans dry with a 1600 pts price point considering that they're not just map packs and rather "expansions."

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I think the DLC will be 1200pts; look what made its way to MS's PR site the other day:

4408959376_cafa82934b.jpg

Patrick Bateman said:
Why expansions? Do we get new guns?
There's speculation that in addition to the new maps, we'll also get new weapons and possibly new playlists. It's been confirmed that we'll also be seeing new titles and emblems, and personally I'm hoping for some new challenges.

amar212

cjelly said:
I think the DLC will be 1200pts; look what made its way to MS's PR site the other day:

4408959376_cafa82934b.jpg

I really hope it will pack all 3 speculated new modes, all 3 speculated COD4 maps, all speculated MW2 new maps, and new Spec-Ops missions.

1200 points is gross.

backflip10019 said:
There's speculation that in addition to the new maps, we'll also get new weapons and possibly new playlists. It's been confirmed that we'll also be seeing new titles and emblems, and personally I'm hoping for some new challenges.

\o/

Jrmint

I read the past couple pages regarding this upcoming dlc and obviously it is exciting.

But has there been any official news from IW or Activision?

Jrmint

I'm sure some maps are coming but that video was an absolute joke. For Crash and Overgrown the guy easily could have taken pictures of the FAMAS and Tactical Knife and just pasted them over screenshots of those maps. So I would say for the old maps that proves nothing.

The new ones possibly, I'm not sure.

TheApatheticOne said:
1200 points? Kinda nuts, but obviously the right price. Even if its no where near worth that, it wont prevent it from selling like hotcakes.

Smart man. It's going to be priced at what the market will accept. How many people do you think will purchase it even if it seems a little overpriced?
A lot

Personally, for 1200 MSP, I'd like to see 4-5 maps (which they can easily get by cannibalizing a couple of CoD4 maps), a handful of new Spec Ops missions, a new weapon in each primary category, and a couple of new killstreak bonuses. But I'm probably just dreaming too much :)

RavenFox

Banned
backflip10019 said:
Damn as soon as I get out they pull me back in...PS3 later I presume?

LosDaddie

Banned
Considering how CoD4 and WaW map packs were 800pts/$10 for 3 maps, I think 1200pts/$15 would be fair if it included more than 3 maps, a couple Spec Ops missions and a new playlist.

But yeah....I was hoping for no more than $10.

DangerousMali said:
how much is that in money ?

trying to figure out how much to reserve for when its released on psn

how long is this timed exclusive going to last ?

$15 real dollars, and the exclusive reportedly lasts a month.

kilongs

Oh boy, Crash on MW2 would be crazy. Taking that 3 story building (including the roof) near the crash site is gonna be vital. Imagine the carnage you could do with MW2 killstreaks and perks up there.

ZeroRay

I hope the DLC is good since I don't have enough money to move on to another MP shooter. :lol

kilongs said:
Oh boy, Crash on MW2 would be crazy. Taking that 3 story building (including the roof) near the crash site is gonna be vital. Imagine the carnage you could do with MW2 killstreaks and perks up there.

MW2 perks and killstreaks on Crash would be a nightmare. They're barely tolerable on regular MW2 maps as it is.

So, what are the odds that MW2 will "force" you to buy dlc the way that W@W did? Cause if I get put in lobby that's loading a map i don't have, only to kick me out of the lobby at the very last minute.....fuck it, who am I kidding, that's exactly what is going to happen.

EDIT: odds are that Crash would be for free-for-all only. and even if it isn't, it's still better than wetwork.

TestOfTide said:
So, what are the odds that MW2 will "force" you to buy dlc the way that W@W did? Cause if I get put in lobby that's loading a map i don't have, only to kick me out of the lobby at the very last minute.....fuck it, who am I kidding, that's exactly what is going to happen.

That's what made me stop playing W@W.

Well, that and dogs and tanks.

And Battlefield 1943.

mr_boo

TestOfTide said:
I hope that doesn't happen. IW was cognizant of this for COD4, so I hope they implement the same map pack criteria grouping system.

Skel said:
I'm sure some maps are coming but that video was an absolute joke. For Crash and Overgrown the guy easily could have taken pictures of the FAMAS and Tactical Knife and just pasted them over screenshots of those maps. So I would say for the old maps that proves nothing.

The new ones possibly, I'm not sure.
:lol :lol
these guys are modders, not photoshoppers(at the end of the video you can see crash is running in-mw2)
Yes, i think it's fake but i highly doubt that it's 'shopped, they somehow managed to make those maps work in mw2.

TestOfTide said:
EDIT: odds are that Crash would be for free-for-all only. and even if it isn't, it's still better than wetwork.
Why would you say that? These are the same people that put Shipment in Ground War in CoD4 and Rust in TDM in MW2. They'll have absolutely no problem making Crash work for every gametype, that is if that video was in any way accurate.

backflip10019 said:
Why would you say that? These are the same people that put Shipment in Ground War in CoD4 and Rust in TDM in MW2. They'll have absolutely no problem making Crash work for every gametype, that is if that video was in any way accurate.

Hey, Rust on TDM is fun for lulz :)

careful

backflip10019 said:
Speaking of CQC, the only way that you can really get better at quick scoping (besides equipping Sleight of Hand) is by practicing. I've been playing a lot with the Intervention probably for the past two prestiges (probably 4 days of gameplay), and I can accurately say that I hit the enemy with about 50% of the quick scope shots that I take (they don't always die
thanks for not buffing the sniper, IW
, but they do damage).

Just keep practicing and soon you'll notice how effective the Intervention can be. Sure, you'll lose a lot of 1 on 1 situations where you and the enemy spot each other at the same time (esp. to people using ARs), but that's unavoidable because IW made ARs so ridiculously strong.
Thanks for all the sniping tips guys. I've also been trying out sniping for the first time (mostly trying to quick scope) and it's been a rocky road.
How do you get most of your quick scopes? Do you do a full scope in, then quickly put the crosshairs on target and shoot? Or do you pre-aim at the center and right away scope in and shoot?
What about just half scoping and shooting and relying on the aim assist to do the job for you?

careful said:
Thanks for all the sniping tips guys. I've also been trying out sniping for the first time (mostly trying to quick scope) and it's been a rocky road.
How do you get most of your quick scopes? Do you do a full scope in, then quickly put the crosshairs on target and shoot? Or do you pre-aim at the center and right away scope in and shoot?
What about just half scoping and shooting and relying on the aim assist to do the job for you?
I usually try to pre-aim the center of the screen at the enemy, and then scope until the very moment that I see through the scope and shoot. Takes a bit of practice to get the timing down, but I think it's the best way to quick scope. Sometimes if an enemy doesn't see me but is still close to me, I'll take a little more time and make sure that I hit him. I've tried relying on the aim assist, but I feel like it has to do a lot more with luck.

1200 for five maps is a lot to swallow. A lot. Even as such a big MW2 fan. That's basically a third of the price I paid for the whole game.

I'd have to think about that. If there was some Spec Ops and stuff then I'd be in, but eh.

VaLiancY

Zero Hero said:
lol. Dude, this is Activision! It will probably be 1 map.

Word. I played that Transformers RotF game and you were given the option to pay for characters as DLC that were in the movie. Major WTF move at who ever thought that was cool.:lol

TestOfTide said:

And hence the reason why to this day I'll never play W@W online ever again.

mr_boo said:
I hope that doesn't happen. IW was cognizant of this for COD4, so I hope they implement the same map pack criteria grouping system.

Yeah, IW didn't screw the user like Treyach did. If you didn't have the maps, they simply wouldn't come up in rotation.

Been having a lot of success with M16/Tube + Stinger + Claymores with Scavenger + Cold-Blooded + Sitrep. Perfect setup for domination matches.

Red Blaster said:
Been having a lot of success with M16/Tube + Stinger + Claymores with Scavenger + Cold-Blooded + Sitrep. Perfect setup for domination matches.
I don't know how so many of you can run around with Stingers all the time. I find that the lack of a usable secondary weapon against enemies hurts way more than it helps. Why not put a secondary usable weapon like an AT-4 or RPG on the class? And why use a tube class with CB? That makes no sense at all. Put Danger Close on that bitch and triple the size of your explosions. I only switch to my CB + Stinger class if I get killed by an overwhelming amount of air support and nobody on my team is shooting it down.

backflip10019 said:
I don't know how so many of you can run around with Stingers all the time. I find that the lack of a usable secondary weapon against enemies hurts way more than it helps. Why not put a secondary usable weapon like an AT-4 or RPG on the class? And why use a tube class with CB? That makes no sense at all. Put Danger Close on that bitch and triple the size of your explosions. I only switch to my CB + Stinger class if I get killed by an overwhelming amount of air support and nobody on my team is shooting it down.

Same here. There certainly is value is taking down a Harrier immediately, but that only works for a class where the primary weapon is good enough to not need a secondary (an SMG, for example). And if the shotgun attachment wasn't garbage, an AR + Shotgun could be a viable class for carrying around a Stinger. But in general, carrying around a Stinger at all times just limits you unnecessarily.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Foliorum Viridum said:
1200 for five maps is a lot to swallow. A lot. Even as such a big MW2 fan. That's basically a third of the price I paid for the whole game.

I'd have to think about that. If there was some Spec Ops and stuff then I'd be in, but eh.
Indeed, 10 is a good price.

mr_boo

backflip10019 said:
And why use a tube class with CB?
IMO, the Grenade Launcher is viable without Danger Close - sure you're not maximizing, but you still have the lack of ADS capability. Good points on the Stinger though...though it may be nice to have the option of shooting down UAVs (which can be more common than air support) too.

I'm more curious as to why a Silencer's not equipped or why the FAMAS wasn't chosen over the M16.

mr_boo said:
IMO, the Grenade Launcher is viable without Danger Close - sure you're not maximizing, but you still have the lack of ADS capability. Good points on the Stinger though...though it may be nice to have the option of shooting down UAVs (which can be more common than air support) too.

I'm more curious as to why a Silencer's not equipped or why the FAMAS wasn't chosen over the M16.

If you just want to shoot down UAVs, take an AT4. It's the most versatile of the launchers - you can take down UAVs, drop flares from bigger bonuses, or take out a camper in a hideyhole.

Lagspike_exe said:
Is anyone using UMP45 with Rapid fire here? If yes, could you please help out a MW2 newb and post your perk/weapon setup? :p
I'm not the world's greatest player but here's mine:
UMP 45 w/ Rapid Fire & Red Dot
Raffica

Bling Pro
Stopping Power Pro
Commando or Ninja
----
I find having the Red Dot really helps as I don't like the sights on the UMP. Stopping Power w/ Rapid Fire UMP is awesome. And switching between commando/ninja depending on the game type.

Willeth

Foliorum Viridum said:

They'd be dumb as hell not to ram some more SpecOps in there.

I think new challenges/emblems/titles are pretty much a lock.

So I catch/kill these guys boosting 4 times in a Favela FFA, unfortunately they just pip me to the finishing line so I watch the final kill cam and they're not even going for headshots. So they're boosting just to win a FFA match? how fucking desperate is that...

It's the only time i'll use a noobtube and it helps level up my danger close perk but they're annoying as hell.

backflip10019 said:

I thought so too initially. I made the class with the intention that it would be the "we're getting shelled by air support" setup. A fifth-tier class really, but I just started using it more and more as is and I've been doing the best I've ever done in MW2. Went 18-0 on Quarry with it and would've assuredly gotten a nuke if I had it and chopper gunner equipped. I'm so comfortable with it, that I'm using it on CQB maps like Favela and having success.

Call me superstitious but I think messing with the class in some way could screw me up, heh. Cold-Blooded has bailed me out plenty of times when flanking the enemy. I dunno, as you said the class could be better with Danger Close especially since I use claymores, but I just like the idiosyncrasies it has now.

Willeth

celestial body said:
So I catch/kill these guys boosting 4 times in a Favela FFA, unfortunately they just pip me to the finishing line so I watch the final kill cam and they're not even going for headshots. So they're boosting just to win a FFA match? how fucking desperate is that...

It's the only time i'll use a noobtube and it helps level up my danger close perk but they're annoying as hell.
Nuke boosting, most likely.

Lagspike_exe said:
Is anyone using UMP45 with Rapid fire here? If yes, could you please help out a MW2 newb and post your perk/weapon setup? :p

Don't use rapid fire on it. The sweet thing about the ump45 is it's accuracy with the silencer; the rapid fire kills all that accuracy.

Top Bottom