• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Does anyone else love CTF as much as I do?

I'm so sad that it has the least players of any of the playlists :-(

paskowitz

I was playing Domination with the SPAS today and unless I was hitting people that were heavily wounded... is it just me or does the SPAS have retarded range? I was hitting and killing people from like 50-75ft if not more. On Skidrow its almost not even fair.

Mush

paskowitz said:
I was playing Domination with the SPAS today and unless I was hitting people that were heavily wounded... is it just me or does the SPAS have retarded range? I was hitting and killing people from like 50-75ft if not more. On Skidrow its almost not even fair.
No, you aren't crazy. The SPAS is the Models part two.

Rikyfree

My brother is lucky he likes this game so much. I own it and I've had my fill. Personally if I had my way I would have traded this thing in for God of War 3 already.

Xux

cjelly said:
I think the DLC will be 1200pts; look what made its way to MS's PR site the other day:

4408959376_cafa82934b.jpg

G3, huh? I guess affirmative action suggests we get another semi-auto AR. I wonder how/if they'll differentiate it from the FAL and/or give it something to compete with the Holo-FAL.

Oh wait, that's an ACR. Darn it. It's also a pre-release shot. :/

Shalashaska said:
I'm not the world's greatest player but here's mine:
UMP 45 w/ Rapid Fire & Red Dot
Raffica

Bling Pro
Stopping Power Pro
Commando or Ninja
----
I find having the Red Dot really helps as I don't like the sights on the UMP. Stopping Power w/ Rapid Fire UMP is awesome. And switching between commando/ninja depending on the game type.

salva said:
Don't use rapid fire on it. The sweet thing about the ump45 is it's accuracy with the silencer; the rapid fire kills all that accuracy.

Thanks guys.

Mileena

Banned
salva said:
Don't use rapid fire on it. The sweet thing about the ump45 is it's accuracy with the silencer; the rapid fire kills all that accuracy.
This is the only right answer. I don't see any use in using the UMP with anything but a silencer on it.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Is breaking out of Karachi the newest glitch?

Just played a game where a guy was sniping off map.

celestial body said:
If anyone's curious about statistics my friend just got his first kill and was ranked 9,931,360th so nearly 10 million people have played MW2 online.

I've played 6.5 days and I'm just barely ranked in the top 1 million (kills leaderboard)...

Kibbles

I'm guessing they'll release Crash, Overgrown, and Shipment separately as free DLC, and the rest combined with spec-ops missions or whatever for $$$. I mean, they aren't going to charge for copy-and-pasted map? From the leak, it looks like they made no effort to improve them. I'd just play CoD4 then.

Kibbles said:
I'm guessing they'll release Crash, Overgrown, and Shipment separately as free DLC, and the rest combined with spec-ops missions or whatever for $$$. I mean, they aren't going to charge for copy-and-pasted map? From the leak, it looks like they made no effort to improve them. I'd just play CoD4 then.

Haha, if there's money to make they won't give it away for free...

kuYuri

MCX said:
I've heard of people reaching 10th prestige in a single day. How is this possible? EXP multiplier days?

People with hacked 360s create hacked lobbies where kills can equal several million XP or something like that.

jedimike

Kibbles said:

Hell no... they'll make you buy the whole package and then tell you they are bonus maps. With Activision, you'll get nothing for free.

DoomGyver

I got my first m203 headshot in SND, feels good man. I was just unlocking the scar attachments.

I also got a lot of hatemail last night. I need to find a pic of a baby crying with a headset on and send that as a reply every time I get those messages.

J2d

Full Recovery said:
I also got a lot of hatemail last night. I need to find a pic of a baby crying with a headset on and send that as a reply every time I get those messages.
Post it here when you do, I need one too.

Ballistik

You guys ever seen a glitch with the harrier strike?

I was Playing Domination the other night on Highrise, I was around the B capture point looking at their base, when I suddenly notice a Harrier floating AT ground level right outside of their base. It was so out of place, that I just stared at it. I tried to go see if I could walk into it but before I got there, it elevated and zoomed away, like if it was normal for harriers to go that low. I know it wasn't just on my screen because the room was quiet the whole game except for that moment when I saw the harrier, everyone was like "what the hell?!?"

careful

Finally buckled under the pressure and prestiged for the first time this morning. It's not as bad as I thought. I'm already at 25 after playing about 5-6 hours today. I play with a gun until I get a couple of unlocks (usually til silencer or HBS) then switch to a new weapon. The starting weapons are great so it's been pretty smooth sailing. Air support hasn't been too much of an issue since I just stay inside when it's out.
The only thing that's going a bit slower is getting the machine pistols unlocks.

jiien

Ballistik said:
You guys ever seen a glitch with the harrier strike?

I was Playing Domination the other night on Highrise, I was around the B capture point looking at their base, when I suddenly notice a Harrier floating AT ground level right outside of their base. It was so out of place, that I just stared at it. I tried to go see if I could walk into it but before I got there, it elevated and zoomed away, like if it was normal for harriers to go that low. I know it wasn't just on my screen because the room was quiet the whole game except for that moment when I saw the harrier, everyone was like "what the hell?!?"

I've seen that happen as well, same map. That's the only map I've seen it on, actually. Really weird.

Tamanon

Banned
.nimrod said:
Does the assault class have any advantage?

I don't see anything that compensates for not being able to destroy vehicles/revive teammates. The assault rifles aren't even better than the LMGs or SMGs o_O

Whenever i pick assault, i don't feel like i'm helping my team to win the match at all

It's a good defense against care package glitching.

Jrmint

divisionbyzorro said:
Damn...this thread sure is moving slowly these days...
I'm sure it'll pick back up once the dlc comes out.

So I played a good bit of BC2 this week, and then came back to playing MW2 again today.

I think my 2 biggest gripes with BC2 compared to this game are gun models which are just phenomenal in this game and much more cartoony in BC2, and the maps in BC2. There really is only 1 or 2 maps I really like there so it gets old. Most of them are too big for on foot combat and give the vehicles too much power. Whereas in MW2 there really is only 1 or 2 maps which annoy me but I can still deal with (Highrise mostly).

Posting this here just to see other people's opinions who did the same. I'd post it over on the BC2 thread but those guys just love to hate on MW2 as like a hobby, so I probably wouldn't get any worthwhile responses.

kuYuri

Skel said:

So I played a good bit of BC2 this week, and then came back to playing MW2 again today.

I think my 2 biggest gripes with BC2 compared to this game are gun models which are just phenomenal in this game and much more cartoony in BC2, and the maps in BC2. There really is only 1 or 2 maps I really like there so it gets old. Most of them are too big for on foot combat and give the vehicles too much power. Whereas in MW2 there really is only 1 or 2 maps which annoy me but I can still deal with (Highrise mostly).

Posting this here just to see other people's opinions who did the same. I'd post it over on the BC2 thread but those guys just love to hate on MW2 as like a hobby, so I probably wouldn't get any worthwhile responses.

What I will say is nothing new and is already known, but they really are two completely different games, just with similar backdrops of modern combat. MW2 focuses on infantry combat while BC2 is infantry with vehicles mixed in.

Don't even bother bringing up MW2 in that thread, those guys troll the game just to make themselves feel better and reassure themselves that BC2 will knock MW off it's pedestal.

jiien

Skel said:

Well, first off, I actually really dislike the BC series. However, I LOVED BF2. I wish they kept the same...feel of BF2 into the newer iterations. That said...

Things I love about BF2: Squad based teamwork is more emphasized, action is less 'arcade-y', vehicles were powerful but not overpowered (as it seems to be the case in MASSIVE maps of BC2), hit detection was pretty solid (closer to the CoD series, than the BC series as been), controls feel solid and not floaty, no weird killstreak nonsense

Things I love about the CoD series (which includes MW2 obviously): No vehicles at all (though to be honest, the tanks in WaW weren't that bad at all, just took teamwork to wipe them) so all action is human v human, better customization/unlock system by far, controls feel extremely tight and NOT floaty at all, and hit detection is pretty damn perfect (lag aside, if I had my dot over someone, I KNOW I hit them and the hit actually registers)

Anyway, in my opinion, BF2 was thus far the best Battlefield game yet, and as such, was as close to the CoD model as any BF game has been since. Instead of sticking with whatever they had though (though 2142 sort of kept the same feel as BF2, it just was kinda strange), BC went to this really weird floaty nonsense where hit detection was god awful. You could be ADSing and looking at a baddie, but only half the hits were actually hitting, and you couldn't even really tell. On top of which, you're always moving pretty slowly, and the controls just never felt tight. I thought they might clean it up for BC2, but it pretty much felt like the same old, unfortunately.

Soooooo, in my opinion, MW2 is the better shooter than BC2 (though they may not be directly comparable because they are two different types of games with different emphasis, I mean, MW2 is SUPPOSED to be arcade-y), but that isn't to say I just hate on the Battlefield series. BF2 was awesome. My biggest gripes with BC/BC2 are just how the game controls and feels. So slow, so floaty (I keep using that word, sorry, don't know how else to explain it), and hit detection isn't as solid. If it felt more like BF2 or CoD in that regards, I wouldn't mind the gun models/graphics, or the larger maps.

Strider2K99 said:
What I will say is nothing new and is already known, but they really are two completely different games, just with similar backdrops of modern combat. MW2 focuses on infantry combat while BC2 is infantry with vehicles mixed in.

Don't even bother bringing up MW2 in that thread, those guys troll the game just to make themselves feel better and reassure themselves that BC2 will knock MW off it's pedestal.

This.

And nothing will knock MW2 off of it's pedestal until Halo: Reach. And even then, it'll be close (if the W@W and CoD4 communities were playing MW2, I bet not even Reach could do it).

VaLiancY

Skel said:

Explain, you mean the gun models are exaggerated? Both games have their model inaccuracies which is why the FAMAS irks me the most because of its ironsight. :lol

Well on the combat, that's the biggest attraction and distraction of the Battlefield series. Some people don't like it because of the vehicles but others enjoy the infantry combat mixed with vehicles. And to remedy that problem this is where the maps come in, there has to be a fine balance between infantry, vehicle and mixed focus of maps which Battlefield 2 did perfectly but since Bad Company 2 is a different type of a BF game. I can't speak fully on BC2 since I played the two maps in the beta which I know one of them have changed.

BF2 is still the most fun I've had with a team-based shooter. Just a great mix of infantry + vehicles with some GREAT maps, Strike at Karkand was absolutely legendary. Bad Company simply cannot compare.

Skel said:

Not having a good squad or good teammates an ruin BC2 match for anyone. It isn't like MW2 where playing on your own is a viable way to play.

To your point about the gun models:

I really don't see what you are talking about. The only time guns might look funny is when you put an ACOG on a submachine gun; and those look just as funny in MW2.

To your point about vehicles:

Vehicles are only overpowered in BC2 when no one is spawning with the tools to destroy it, or, no one is getting on the numerous stationary rockets or using c4. But it all comes back to teammates. If you don;t have a good squad or smart teammates, you're right, dealing with vehicles is almost impossible.

I think you should give playing it another chance, but try and get a squad together before you do. The game shines the most with good partners. But MW2 is definitely a better solo MP experience.

jiien

Red Blaster said:
BF2 is still the most fun I've had with a team-based shooter. Just a great mix of infantry + vehicles with some GREAT maps, Strike at Karkand was absolutely legendary. Bad Company simply cannot compare.

Had to post again just to agree with your love for Strike at Karkand. Best multiplayer map ever made.

jiien said:
Had to post again just to agree with your love for Strike at Karkand. Best multiplayer map ever made.

I loved when the match starts with the MEC entrenched at the bottom of the first hill waiting for the US to appear on the long road from their spawn. That 30 seconds of stillness in the air was awesome. A shame every server runs it infantry only, it's a far less interesting map without vehicles.

jiien

Red Blaster said:
I loved when the match starts with the MEC entrenched at the bottom of the first hill waiting for the US to appear on the long road from their spawn. That 30 seconds of stillness in the air was awesome. A shame every server runs it infantry only, it's a far less interesting map without vehicles.

Absolutely agree. Laying down C4 in strategic places and running around trying to stop the tanks coming up the hill/ramp near the middle flag are some of the best experiences I've had in multiplayer gaming. It just got more and more intense the closer you got.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
you know, something must've changed cos I fucking despise terminal with every fibre of my being now. It used to be a decent map, but its like someone flicked a switch. For the past 8 games on there or so I've been demolished with the worst being my most recent game with a score of 1-9.

one to fucking nine. that is obscene. when you consider the orevious games I went on a run of 19-1, 24-10 and similar scores against the same players, I suddenly get swamped 1-9?

WTF. There was literally nothing I could do. I wasn't rushing, I wasn't being suicidal, I was just losing every single encounter, spawning with no friendlies and 4 enemies around me, missing every damn bullet whilst everyone on the other team seemed to be able to run around like rambo and kill me from every single angle. high, low, left right, behind, in front.

I've decided its a shit map and I seem to have completely and utterly forgotten how to play it.

jedimike

The sound in this game is still blowing me away... The audible cues get me as many kills as the visual. I know where people are at just from the audio. It's probably been like for several iterations of COD, but I've just never been able to use the 5.1 before.

The only players that really own me are the ones with ninja pro on. They are the ones who tap me on my shoulder and then blast me in the face when I turn around. I just can't hear them coming up on me.

If you feel like you need to bring your K/D up a notch, make sure you're getting the full benefits of the amazing audio in the game.

jedimike

kaizoku said:
you know, something must've changed cos I fucking despise terminal with every fibre of my being now. It used to be a decent map, but its like someone flicked a switch. For the past 8 games on there or so I've been demolished with the worst being my most recent game with a score of 1-9.

one to fucking nine. that is obscene. when you consider the orevious games I went on a run of 19-1, 24-10 and similar scores against the same players, I suddenly get swamped 1-9?

WTF. There was literally nothing I could do. I wasn't rushing, I wasn't being suicidal, I was just losing every single encounter, spawning with no friendlies and 4 enemies around me, missing every damn bullet whilst everyone on the other team seemed to be able to run around like rambo and kill me from every single angle. high, low, left right, behind, in front.

I've decided its a shit map and I seem to have completely and utterly forgotten how to play it.

It's not always the map... sometimes you just get shit on with this game, especially with the small maps. You'll get spawned and die within seconds and it just keeps happening over and over and over for 5 or more spawns. Those are the times when I try to break my controller in half. It'll occasionally happen to me in Terminal, Scrapyard, Highrise, and as expected, Rust. I don't think they are bad maps... sometimes you just have a round of bad luck. I just thank my team for carrying me and then make a comeback on the next map.

jedimike said:
The sound in this game is still blowing me away... The audible cues get me as many kills as the visual. I know where people are at just from the audio. It's probably been like for several iterations of COD, but I've just never been able to use the 5.1 before.

The only players that really own me are the ones with ninja pro on. They are the ones who tap me on my shoulder and then blast me in the face when I turn around. I just can't hear them coming up on me.

If you feel like you need to bring your K/D up a notch, make sure you're getting the full benefits of the amazing audio in the game.

You should play this game with headphones and the Astro MixAmp. Even now I still go wow at some of the pick outs I make from the sounds I hear.

jedimike

Spinning Plates said:
You should play this game with headphones and the Astro MixAmp. Even now I still go wow at some of the pick outs I make from the sounds I hear.

Yep, I do notice more when using my headphones. I use the Turtle Beach X41's... You just get "closer" to the sound without the distractions.

DoomGyver

I unlocked the M1014 extended mags last night and wow do they make a ton of difference. Those two extra shots saved my life countless times.

M1014 ext mags > SPAS

Simply because when you have the SPAS and you meet two enemies you're likely to kill one and get killed by the other. Whereas with the M1014 you have a good chance to take 2 or 3 out before they get you. Once I unlocked the extended mags I went 16-4 and then 15-3 back to back in S&D using 90% shotgun 10% intervention.

But for 1v1 situations SPAS>m1014.

Top Bottom