• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

shuri said:
What the hell, I really hope that the map pack is NOT a collection of maps from the previous games!

I'm assuming it'll be half and half. It'll allow them to increase the value proposition of the map pack without much extra work, thus allowing them to charge 1200MSP instead of 800MSP.

divisionbyzorro said:
I'm assuming it'll be half and half. It'll allow them to increase the value proposition of the map pack without much extra work, thus allowing them to charge 1200MSP instead of 800MSP.
Print Money?

Veritas_

For us superior identical PC gamers, is the DLC pack still going to be free? MW2 being on Steam means that they could easily charge for it. Haven't heard anything. =/

Edit: Saw someone mention that 402 confirmed DLC on PC is free.

Veritas_ said:
For us superior identical PC gamers, is the DLC pack still going to be free? MW2 being on Steam means that they could easily charge for it. Haven't heard anything. =/

That is suprising seeing they went the console model on every other aspect of the game. Good for them throwing the Master Race a bone for once

MaxSteel

KittyKittyBangBang said:
So am I a tool for feeling perfectly fine shelling out 1200 spacebux for 6-8 new maps?

hell no. what's that, the price of a dinner from the local chinese takeout joint?

map packs are worth every penny, IMO - even if they are old maps

kuYuri

Veritas_ said:

Got a source for this?

So someone told me that the map pack is going to have a set of Spec Ops missions ' Foxtrot', 3 new weapons and 3 new perks, is this true?

New Spec Ops would be awesome, but im not sure I like the idea of people getting a advantage online with new perks just because they paid more cash.

Draft

Veritas_ said:
:lol:

Yeah, makes sense. All that work and PR flack they took to setup IW.net and kill dedicated servers all so they could NOT sell map packs.

LosDaddie

Banned
magicaltrevor said:
I sold the game already...
It got boring, annoying and the glitches are just awful.

Playing BF:BC2 now and it's awesome.

And yet you're still a stinkin Junior who trolls this thread.

KittyKittyBangBang said:
So am I a tool for feeling perfectly fine shelling out 1200 spacebux for 6-8 new maps?

Not at all. Fuck the haters. They like to troll MW2 because they know it's popular. It kills them inside knowing that not only is MW2 very successful, but also very popular among gamers.

aku:jiki

I must be retarded or something. Every fucking time I prestige or try a new weapon, I forget how much my playstyle just plain needs a silencer. The way I aim, the routes I take, my strategies... I always do poorly until I put that silencer back on and then I'm like "OHHHHH, that's why!" I swear it's happened to me like 50 times now. :lol

Also, fuck the LMGs, seriously. I keep trying and they're not bad weapons, but the insanely low mobility and the ridiculously long time it takes to like lift it back up after climbing or whatever...fuck LMGs. All they do is get you killed.

It really makes the wild inconsistencies in the game design obvious. Did the different teams just not communicate at all? How the fuck can they have thought that for example the ACR and F2000 are balanced against each other? How can they have thought that the reduced mobility of LMGs is balanced out by, well, anything at all? They're supposed to be strong but a SCAR is stronger AND allows you to actually move around the map! Old news, I know, but I'm just frustrated with trying to master those last LMGs.

Anaxagoras said:
Does anybody want to join a private match of quick scoping only?
I am not good at and want to improve but my friends aren't interested.
I was thinking of posting the same thing. If we can get at least 5 people up for it, it'd be awesome.

Fugu

Does anyone have any proof that the exclusivity is specifically timed thirty days? Because I don't see any.

EDIT: I can't believe quick scoping is a thing. On PC it's outright impossible.

bluehat9

I'm sure this question has been answered somewhere in the thread, but do any other challenges unlock after the first prestige? I prestiged the first time to get some new ones, but is that it or do you get more each time you go back to level 1?

Also, is there any real difference between the famas and m16? I know the game says the m16 deals more damage, but having switched to it since I unlocked it, it feels like it takes longer to bring someone down.

bobs99 ... said:
So someone told me that the map pack is going to have a set of Spec Ops missions ' Foxtrot', 3 new weapons and 3 new perks, is this true?

New Spec Ops would be awesome, but im not sure I like the idea of people getting a advantage online with new perks just because they paid more cash.

I would say that new Spec Ops is pretty much a guarantee, considering how popular that mode is. I wouldn't be surprised to see new weapons/perks/killstreak bonuses either - it'd be more incentive for you to buy the DLC, that's for certain. They'd just have to make sure that the new stuff wasn't stronger than the old stuff, for balance purposes.

Fugu

bluehat9 said:
I'm sure this question has been answered somewhere in the thread, but do any other challenges unlock after the first prestige? I prestiged the first time to get some new ones, but is that it or do you get more each time you go back to level 1?

Also, is there any real difference between the famas and m16? I know the game says the m16 deals more damage, but having switched to it since I unlocked it, it feels like it takes longer to bring someone down.
Similarities:
- Same damage (30-40 - players have 100 health, stopping power multiplies damage by 1.4x, painkiller multiplies damage by 0.33x).
- Three round burst.
- Same capacity.
- Despite what a lot of people will tell you, both have the same minimum gap between bursts and therefore the same fire rate. However, the M16 has a faster fire rate over time due to the shortened reload time.

Differences
- FAMAS has a longer reload time. A cancelled reload with the M16 is almost half the length of one with the FAMAS.
- FAMAS has slightly better range (range determines how long it takes for the damage of a weapon to reduce; in other words, FAMAS will do 40 damage longer than the M16. This is almost completely irrelevant if you use stopping power).
- FAMAS has a tighter burst... sort of.
- The M16 is bugged with the Holographic Sight to have a tighter burst.
- The M16 comes up and down slightly faster.
- The FAMAS and the M16 don't have the same ADS accuracy; which is better is up to you, but the difference is almost minute.

In my opinion, the M16 is the better gun; a faster reload is more advantageous than being easier to use.

VaLiancY

bluehat9 said:

Same damage, FAMAS has a longer reload, M16 damage drops off about midrange so the FAMAS has a slight damage advantage at midrange. They're both good guns.

Jeff-DSA

Do you guys get the feeling that people are bored in MW2 but keep playing anyway? I play every Tuesday night with friends and for the past several weeks the experience has degraded more and more. Last night every match we got into was just people using nothing but noob tubes, RPGs, and akimbo shotguns. It was awful. Not only were they cheesing these weapons, they weren't even playing to win. I really hope the map packs get people playing normally again, because right now griefing feels like the norm, rather than the random jackass.

They REALLY need to reduce the blast radius of the RPG. That weapon is really stupid when all they need to do is hit within 20 feet of you and you're dead. You can't even capture flags in domination because they just hit the wall nearest to the flag and it kills anybody trying to capture the spot. Lame. Grenade launchers need nerfing too.

Accident

Fugu said:
Does anyone have any proof that the exclusivity is specifically timed thirty days? Because I don't see any.

EDIT: I can't believe quick scoping is a thing. On PC it's outright impossible.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/microsoft-clarifies-mod-war-2-dlc-deal
"We have a 30-day timed exclusive on the Modern Warfare content packs," a spokesperson told Eurogamer. "So it will be available on other platforms, but you get to try and play on Xbox 360 first."

I have a feeling I will play MW2 exactly like I did COD4, in bursts.

I played MW2 exclusively for the first 2 months, then picked up Assassins Creed 2, etc and I havent played it at all for 2 months. Now a map pack is coming out and Im hyped for it, Im right back in it and Iwill play it exclusively again for a month or so, even though I just bought BFBC2. With COD4 this went on for a year and a half, MW2 may last longer.

Jeff-DSA said:
Ok...but do you feel the quality of play is as good now as it has been before? I'm just curious, because I'm running into more people that are feeling like this.
Well of course the game is losing its novelty as it's been out for months now, but is the quality of play (what exactly does this mean?) decreasing? Not noticeably, at least for myself.

VaLiancY

I'm getting bored with everything. I don't like sniping so I doubt it will increase my playtime with it and the LMG's restricted mobility makes me want to hang around in one area so I find that boring also. :(

LosDaddie

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:
Ok...but do you feel the quality of play is as good now as it has been before? I'm just curious, because I'm running into more people that are feeling like this.

"Quality of Play" (whatever that means) seems the same to me. Then again, I'm not a hardcore MW2 player either.

Veritas_

Strider2K99 said:
Got a source for this?

I looked up what the Steam Forums poster was talking about here, a Bash and Slash podcast back from October Here. Doesn't confirm or deny. Sorry if I got anyone's hopes up, I should have vetted this a little more thoroughly before posting.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Jeff-DSA said:
Do you guys get the feeling that people are bored in MW2 but keep playing anyway?
Yep.

I feel that way. Pretty much only play because that is what my friends are playing.

They all seem to love it still, even though most of them have 2x as much play time.

Jrmint

aku:jiki said:
Also, fuck the LMGs, seriously. I keep trying and they're not bad weapons, but the insanely low mobility and the ridiculously long time it takes to like lift it back up after climbing or whatever...fuck LMGs. All they do is get you killed.
This could not have summed up my thoughts on LMGs any better. I have tried using them once or twice but never did well with them, and saw no benefit to it. Maybe I level up slower as a result of not getting their challenges, but fuck it. It reminds me of the zero punctuation quote from the first Call of Duty - "Some of the guns take so long to reload it'd be faster to just send out for a new one". I always loved that :lol

Can't wait for March 30th, that mapathy site is brilliant :D

Xux

I usually do pretty good with LMGs. I tend to play pretty slow and defensive to begin with so they fit me pretty well.

aku:jiki

Had me a couple of funny moments tonight.

I think I'm the last person ever to realize that you can spam through the aluminum walls around the bookstore on Terminal? Yeah, probably. I started a round by parking myself behind the vending machine in the corridor. Killed one guy and noticed I got more hitmarkers behind him so I just unloaded. Emptied my M16 and got four kills or so, then ducked into cover and for some reason a Scavenger-filled TAR was laying right there so I just got up with 180 fresh bullets to spam through the wall. I think that was the easiest emergency airdrop I've ever gotten. :lol

And for the first time ever, I got my own stalker! That guy that gets so fucking pissed that I killed him that he came back no less than SIX times! He wouldn't learn either, he just ran dead straight from wherever he spawned to where I was sniping from. I was sniping, fucking dumbass! How can you not realize that I'm gonna do it again if you come running down the same path? That has to have been one of the easiest Harriers I've ever gotten. :lol :lol

I was flattered to find him rocking my M21 later on. Either he wanted to be "beast" like me :)lol) or he got so pissed that he needed to kill me with my own gun. Either way, that's funny. (What isn't funny is that he succeeded, shit!)

To continue the Fuck This Gun series; what IS up with the TMP? I know I've whined about it before, but god damn it... It's not stronger than any other machine pistol, has the tiniest clip ever that the high rate of fire just eats through, has an enormously slow (albeit cool) reload and on top of all that, it comes with like 60 bullets. WTF is the idea here? How do you fuck a weapon up this bad? Everything is wrong with it!

ydnawel

Neo Member
It actually may be possible that the DLC for PC is free. Remember the price hike from 49.99 to 59.99? We may have already paid for the DLC without even realizing it.

careful

Fugu said:
- FAMAS has slightly better range (range determines how long it takes for the damage of a weapon to reduce; in other words, FAMAS will do 40 damage longer than the M16. This is almost completely irrelevant if you use stopping power).
There's still a slight advantage. If you're within the 40 damage range with Stopping Power, you don't need your full burst to connect to get the kill. Two bullets will do the job, so you get a slightly faster time to kill as well as needing a bit less precision.

Another thing is I would give the iron sight advantage to the M16. The sights on the FAMAS are terrible, the middle bar (whatever it's called) is way too thin and easily gets lost on any background remotely dark.

careful

aku:jiki said:
I must be retarded or something. Every fucking time I prestige or try a new weapon, I forget how much my playstyle just plain needs a silencer. The way I aim, the routes I take, my strategies... I always do poorly until I put that silencer back on and then I'm like "OHHHHH, that's why!" I swear it's happened to me like 50 times now. :lol

It really makes the wild inconsistencies in the game design obvious. Did the different teams just not communicate at all? How the fuck can they have thought that for example the ACR and F2000 are balanced against each other? How can they have thought that the reduced mobility of LMGs is balanced out by, well, anything at all? They're supposed to be strong but a SCAR is stronger AND allows you to actually move around the map! Old news, I know, but I'm just frustrated with trying to master those last LMGs.

I was thinking of posting the same thing. If we can get at least 5 people up for it, it'd be awesome.
I don't know man. The RPD and AUG are both pretty solid options. Put on Stopping Power & Grip and you have a precise 2 hit killer over any distance. And SoH Pro can help a bit with the slow ass ADS time.

kuYuri

careful said:
Another thing is I would give the iron sight advantage to the M16. The sights on the FAMAS are terrible, the middle bar (whatever it's called) is way too thin and easily gets lost on any background remotely dark.

Personally, I have no problems with iron sights on it. I main the FAMAS with silencer in Search and Destroy and do just fine with it.

I never really feel the iron sights are in the way.

MrDaravon

Finally got on a roll tonight with Jack-in-the-Box kills, went from 8 to 25 :D

I don't play a sniper at all, but I was just getting in a good groove with setting them up. Tac insert's not really my thing so I'll be glad when I hit my 50, but I'm pretty happy with myself. It's the little things!

Top Bottom