• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

God dammit this game is pissing me off right now. It's like every match I join I have fucking dimwitted 5 year olds on my team. How am I supposed to play well if everyone else on my team has a K/D under .5? Fuck, I wish this game had SOME sort of matchmaking system based on skill. UGH.

Linkhero1

user_nat said:
Just had my best Team Death game ever (as far as kills go).

47 - 3. 47 out of the teams 75. My highest kill streak was Pavelow.

I went 30+ kills 6 games in a row just then also.
What was your setup?

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
user_nat said:
Just had my best Team Death game ever (as far as kills go).

47 - 3. 47 out of the teams 75. My highest kill streak was Pavelow.

I went 30+ kills 6 games in a row just then also.

Damn. You got me beat. I think my best is 31-4.

kuYuri

divisionbyzorro said:
Right.

Remember how IW talked about how they changed the way game variables were stored? So they could create new, awesome playlists on the fly? Well, not only have they not created new playlists, but their new game variable storage is apparently easily hacked.

This doesn't make it entirely their fault, of course. That'd be like saying it was your fault your car got stolen because you only have a standard key lock and not one of them new-fangled smart keys. In retrospect though, I bet they very much regret that decision.

Except Mosh Pit, Hardcore HQ Pro, and Third Person Team Tactical.

Tamanon

Banned
So, it's my first time really sitting down and using a Sniper Rifle. I unlocked the ACOG scope for the last one, and I really like that it doesn't sway nearly as much, no need to steady. But it seems that the damage has gone down. Even when hitting them in the upper chest it still sometimes takes two shots. Does replacing the scope with ACOG lower the damage?

Nearly finished my first prestige now after a total of 5.5 days played. :lol Only 40,000XP to go before I do it all over again. Ahh!

With Stimulus and double XP all in the next week, I can see myself getting close to doing one whole prestige in that time.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Linkhero1 said:
What was your setup?
It was Afgan, so I would have been using my AUG class. Stinger secondary, Semtex and Stun. Bling Pro (Grip and Holo), Stopping Power Pro and Ninja Pro.
UAV -> Harrier -> Pavelow

Strider2K99 said:
Except Mosh Pit, Hardcore HQ Pro, and Third Person Team Tactical.

Well yeah, sure. You're right. But weren't those all within a month of launch? They haven't mixed it up at all since then. Where's first-person team tactical? Where's the vanilla killstreak mode? And so on and so forth.

DoomGyver

Skel said:
Just noticed the Vector discussion, and this is one of my absolute favorite guns in the game. Definitely my favorite SMG. I think it is the second best behind the UMP, but I like it a lot better personally.

My setup is:
Vector w/ silencer
PP2000 w/ silencer or extended mags (once I unlock it)
Marathon Pro
SP Pro
Ninja Pro

I personally recommend using a machine pistol with the Vector since like people have said it runs out of ammo fairly quickly, and having something like the PP2k to go to afterwards you're not losing much at all. Also for SMGs I basically only use Marathon since they are always rush classes for me, so putting Scavenger or something on it just wouldn't make sense to me.

My 2 cents.

If you use scavenger you only have to use your secondary when you need to reload in a firefight. I also use the magnum because it goes well with sitrep pro and fmj. Different strokes I guess.

And for those of you who think that the Vector is one of the weaker SMGs, how would you balance it?

Right now it has 25-20 damage at 1000rpm. If you gave it 30-25 damage then it would be more powerful than the UMP which is already overpowered. I guess you could give it 25 damage at all ranges with a silencer? That would make up for the short mag. But you have to keep in mind that even though the Vector nearly doubles the fire rate of the UMP, it also has less recoil.

Full Recovery said:
If you use scavenger you only have to use your secondary when you need to reload in a firefight. I also use the magnum because it goes well with sitrep pro and fmj. Different strokes I guess.

And for those of you who think that the Vector is one of the weaker SMGs, how would you balance it?

Right now it has 25-20 damage at 1000rpm. If you gave it 30-25 damage then it would be more powerful than the UMP which is already overpowered. I guess you could give it 25 damage at all ranges with a silencer? That would make up for the short mag. But you have to keep in mind that even though the Vector nearly doubles the fire rate of the UMP, it also has less recoil.

My only issue with the Vector is its ammo capacity. I like using Marathon with SMGs. If I have to use scavenger, I don't get to take full advantage of the increased movement speed of the SMG (which is really the only reason to use on in the first place).

Dresden

There's no real way to balance the Vector. It's already a three-shot kill up close with Stopping Power, four shots from afar, which coincidentally is the same as the Uzi or P90, but at a much faster fire rate. The only way, I suppose, is to give it more capacity but you already have extended mags for that...

VaLiancY

All the sub-machine guns are good. I use the UMP and Vector exclusively. The Vector's high RoF and high accuracy gives me a guaranteed kill. I don't use Steady Aim because of HBS campers so I prefer using sights and the Vector sights are nice and clean. The only SMG without a glaring disadvantage is the UMP, IMO.:lol

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Frillen said:
My personal best is 52-3 on regular TD on Afghan. Got in a server with non-prestiges only.

How is that even possible? Were you the only person on your team? That leaves your teammates with less than 5 kills apiece. I can barely get to 25 most times before my team reaches the score limit.

ZZMitch

VaLiancY said:
All the sub-machine guns are good. I use the UMP and Vector exclusively. The Vector's high RoF and high accuracy gives me a guaranteed kill. I don't use Steady Aim because of HBS campers so I prefer using sights and the Vector sights are nice and clean. The only SMG without a glaring disadvantage is the UMP, IMO.:lol

I love just spraying and praying with the MP5K silenced... so much fun on a map like Favela.

DRE Fei

I'll agree that none of the smgs are absolute garbage, but there really is no reason to use anything but the UMP. The community has caught on and realized where IW fucked up with this class, that's all. I guess you could tone down the UMPs damage a bit to encourage people to use something else, but assault rifles will still dominate the game unless more balancing is done. Those things have no recoil at all. Even with the UMP being as strong as it is, I'd still rather use a silenced TAR-21 over any smg.

kuYuri

divisionbyzorro said:
Well yeah, sure. You're right. But weren't those all within a month of launch? They haven't mixed it up at all since then. Where's first-person team tactical? Where's the vanilla killstreak mode? And so on and so forth.

I don't know man. I hope that the next playlist update, which should be happening sometime this week since the maps are coming out, has more than Hardcore Mosh Pit included.

Even Fourzerotwo has said he wants a barebones playlist, but it's still not on the IW agenda for whatever reason.

I just want a Mercenary Domination playlist. The videos I've seen of Domination look like a lot of fun, but I'm never playing with more than one or two friends, so I don't want to be dominated by clan all night.

Nuke hunting is another reason why I shy away from Domination (and other objective gametypes), but still really want to try it out. Hopefully it comes to fruition.

I just want a playlist update that wipes Sabotage from existence. I could actually enjoy Mosh Pit if I didn't have to back out every time Sabotage comes up because that mode is garbage.

Jrmint

divisionbyzorro said:
My only issue with the Vector is its ammo capacity. I like using Marathon with SMGs. If I have to use scavenger, I don't get to take full advantage of the increased movement speed of the SMG (which is really the only reason to use on in the first place).
Bro, just use your favorite machine pistol as a secondary with it and your problem is solved. The PP2k has just as much range, if not more, than the Vector, and with extended mags it only has 1 less magazine.
That is a total of 150 bullets which should at least get you to your final killstreak and then you can guy die and start over :D

Btw, 150 = 30 in the mag + 60 left over in your primary, and 30 start plus 30 in the backup for the PP2k with extended mags.

Najaf

I would love to have been in on the meeting where they decided OMA was an improvement upon the overkill perk. I am not normally one to bitch and carry on about game balance, but the reality of the imbalances this perk introduces are nauseating.

I am a pretty good player and stand with a 1.90 k/d ratio. If I end up taking a beating and start racking up death streaks it is almost too easy to reach for the OMA/tube/danger close kit. Instead of putting bullets on target, this game begins to resemble an artillery simulation. My KDR will skyrocket to 4 to 1 easily.

What I want to know is why IW continues to support something they themselves have termed the noob-tube. Going from it being a big sacrifice in taking up your first slot in COD4 just to carry two rounds, to its current state in being able to attain unlimited ammo is comical. Am I alone in thinking that patching to have the tube take up the perk 1 slot would fix all the problems associated with its abuse?

1. It would prevent people from using OMA to attain unlimited tube grenades.
2. It would still allow for someone in objective based games to have 4 tube rounds when combined with the thumper. (The tube is an effective and efficient defense tool)
3. It would also prohibit the use of scavenger to aid spammers. (It would only be possible for those that had scavenger and picked up a dropped weapon)
4. It would cut down on the noob-tube zones that people fire into off the break in S&D. (the start of the match)

Belfast

Something I know has to have been mentioned, as well. About IW.net's shitty matchmaking system:

Why, when you often leave a lobby (for whatever reason, let's say there's a hacker and you don't want to play with them), isn't IW.net smart enough to figure out you don't want to be involuntarily put back in that SAME LOBBY two seconds later. Most people are going to leave a game with a reason, and if they get disconnected, it's not like they can jump right back into it anyway. Even if the game places them there, all their points are reset.

It's just one more of those simple things IW.net can't get right.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Belfast said:
Something I know has to have been mentioned, as well. About IW.net's shitty matchmaking system:

Why, when you often leave a lobby (for whatever reason, let's say there's a hacker and you don't want to play with them), isn't IW.net smart enough to figure out you don't want to be involuntarily put back in that SAME LOBBY two seconds later. Most people are going to leave a game with a reason, and if they get disconnected, it's not like they can jump right back into it anyway. Even if the game places them there, all their points are reset.

Not to mention the tons of times where they put you in a game just as it's ending, so you go through a loading screen, see the score, take a loss, go back to the lobby and then leave the lobby because you don't want to be on the shit team again.

whitehawk

Banned
Belfast said:

Also..

Why isn't there an option to go back to the menu during the map loading screen? Many times the game has gotten stuck there, and then I have to go back to the dashboard.. Why is it so hard to have a Cancel button?

Belfast

Or hey, how about when it throws you right into a game that's in-progress? Normally this would be an alright solution to fill in missing spots, but when you're the one who joins, you aren't given a choice as to whether or not that's what you want to do.

It *should* prompt you when it wants to put you into an on-going game.

Or starting a game with uneven teams?

Or how about the lack of text chat (at least in the PC version) in the lobby?

Or not being able to figure out who's host until you get in-game and have to play a guessing game with the connection bars?

Or any number of other things that are just completely retarded?

Linkhero1

user_nat said:
It was Afgan, so I would have been using my AUG class. Stinger secondary, Semtex and Stun. Bling Pro (Grip and Holo), Stopping Power Pro and Ninja Pro.
UAV -> Harrier -> Pavelow
Nice. I'll try it out sometime.

Frillen

Brian Fellows said:
How is that even possible? Were you the only person on your team? That leaves your teammates with less than 5 kills apiece. I can barely get to 25 most times before my team reaches the score limit.

Well the fact that I called in two pave lows and two harrier strikes without any of them being shot down, probably helped a bit. I think those four accounted for half of the kills. Other than that I just ran aroud picking down people. As I mentioned, there were non prestiges only, except for me. I think the second placed guy on my team had 6 kills.

cameltoe

HappyDad said:
Whenever I see the mod like this makes me think how far pc gaming went from mass market. All those mods are total turn off for regular gamers, and I won't touch the game if I see that more than few times.

that mod is on the 360...

yoopoo

Banned
Finally got SitStep Pro...now everything time I hear footsteps I get all stressed out and vigorously start to look around...getting stabbed in the face in process...damn commando pro.

Need some decent headphones.

cameltoe

i was shooting a dude that was right in frt of me....his teammate, using commando, lunged through him and knived me! He went right through him!

Time to reinstall CS I think......

New interview -

http://www.gamearena.com.au/news/read.php/5070496

GA: In relation to IW.Net do you think the past few months - basically from launch to the present - have they actually vindicated its introduction? If so - how?

RB: Our PC version, which runs IW.Net has been a huge success for this game. I don't know what our exact numbers are but we're somewhere over two million PC copies sold. That alone is amazing compared to our previous PC numbers. So our PC community has definitely grown with Modern Warfare 2, so I think IW.Net has a lot to do with that. The whole goal of IW.Net - which I think it did very well - was to make the PC version of the game much more accessible to a larger audience and really lower the entry barrier to a lot of players and I think it's done a really good job of that.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Frillen said:
I think the second placed guy on my team had 6 kills.

There you go. :D

See that is what makes it extra impressive in TDM. Not only do you have to kill all those people but you have to do it while your teammates are dogshit terrible. Otherwise you'd have hit the score limit long before 50 kills.

Meier

I am seriously considering buying the map pack even though I said I wouldn't... the footage on Inside Xbox was pretty badass.

kuYuri

Ogs said:

Thanks for this. I was reading the comments section and noticed this link someone provided:

http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/2874447

AG: Ok, so there's no major changes in any of the multiplayer functionality or any of that sort of thing as part of this DLC?

RB: Well for your audience [Australians], your audience will probably see the biggest change. There is stuff that will affect everybody, like we're tweaking the one-man-army perk and how that works a little bit - balancing that a little more. But we're also adding in some match-making functionality for the 360 version that will help our international players quite a bit in finding more locally hosted games for them and I know that's a big request from our Australian players. That will actually be going in on the patch just prior to the DLC.

AG: That's excellent to hear. Can you tell us then about the game-types that these maps are likely to support?

RB: Well when we release the DLC we'll do two playlist updates. One of them will be called the Stimulus playlist and that one will allow you to play all the new maps on all the game-types - so it just rotates through every game-type on the new maps. Then the other one is called Stimulus Hardcore and that one will allow you to play hardcore team deathmatch, hardcore search and destroy and hardcore HQ pro all with the ricochet rules on the new maps as well.

So they'll support everything, but each map is geared towards maybe working better on one game-type than the other just because of design. Like for example, Storm is a really large map that's really great for big team games whereas Salvage is more geared towards the smaller free-for-alls and team deathmatch but they can also be played on any game-type.

ShOcKwAvE

I almost always play Domination because I come from years of Battlefield playing and I need objectives beside just killing people. I've been playing a lot lately and usually having decent matches...19-12, 16-13, etc...with a few 11-13 and 15-19 rounds sprinkled here and there.

The other night my friend was in TDM and I said "what the hell, it's been a while." 25-4. 36-12. 22-3. I haven't had one match where I didn't dominate. Is there something different about matchmaking in this mode? I never felt challenged, so I'm assuming I'm being matched with less-skilled players. There must be a reason?

AUG + Grip + Red Dot
Stinger
---
Flash Bang
Semtex
---
Bling
SP
Ninja

Top Bottom