• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

After a long break, due to BC2/broken 360, I think I'm going to trade MW2 in on Monday. I played for an hour earlier, and it just wasn't fun. The map pack might change it up.. but I think I'll take that 15 bucks and throw it on top of the trade in value and pre-order Red Dead Redemption. Good night sweet prince.

whitehawk

Banned
tarius1210 said:
This is crazy. I was all for shelling out $15 for the Stimulus Pack but not after this crap.

15nwpar.jpg

Sorry IW, you need to fix your broke ass game.

EDIT: Wow, that cellphone pic came out pretty good. :lol
Wow.. Was that your care package?

Sushen

tarius1210 said:
This is crazy. I was all for shelling out $15 for the Stimulus Pack but not after this crap.

15nwpar.jpg

EDIT: Wow, that cellphone pic came out pretty good. :lol
How can a care package be drop inside the building? Good photoshop work?

Belfast

aku:jiki said:
Then you probably skip all your killcams... Most popular weapon in the game by far, and for good reason! It's insane at any range and in any situation. I've gotten pretty damn sick of the sound of a silenced UMP - it's all you ever hear when you play this game...

Indeed, and I do my best to NEVER use the UMP, as a result. Fact of the matter is, I just respect people more who are willing to either do well while "handicapping" themselves or get really good at using a wide variety of guns.

I think I have it on one build, but I almost always use the secondary on that build anyway.

I'd have to say that my most-used gun at this point is the RPD, though I've been using the M16 quite a bit lately too.

Mush

Honestly I feel sorry for you X360 players putting up with this J-tagged console bullshit. It only makes the game that much more frustrating than it already is.

tarius1210 said:

If it helps, the fact that these hacks have been around for months and months and you've only just now encountered one should tell you how widespread they are. And to be fair, these hacks are a result of jtag'd consoles and I'd be more inclined to blame Microsoft for hacks relating to that. Care package glitch, 1887s, etc go ahead and lay those at IW's feet, but the jtag problem is one that is far more difficult to deal with, especially for a 3rd party developer.

Mush said:
Honestly I feel sorry for you X360 players putting up with this J-tagged console bullshit. It only makes the game that much more frustrating than it already is.

6 days online and I have never come across any modding or hacked rooms on 360. Much like everything else regarding MW2, it's probably blown way out of proportion.

DRE Fei

The reason everyone uses the UMP is because all the other SMGs are crap by comparison, especially the MP5k. What else do you guys expect people to do against these assault rifle users? Blame IW for not balancing the weapons properly. LOL nobody even uses LMGs in this game at all. How about that? I'm not even worried about the UMP situation anyway because there's real broke ass shit that needs to be fixed in this game.

Mush

DRE Fei said:
The reason everyone uses the UMP is because all the other SMGs are crap by comparison, especially the MP5k. What else do you guys expect people to do against these assault rifle users? Blame IW for not balancing the weapons properly. I'm not even worried about the SMG class that much anyway because there's other broke ass shit that needs to be fixed in this game.
I'm using the MP5K now and honestly its not that bad. Its no where near as good as the MP5 in CoD4 and it's outclassed by the UMP and P90 but the worst SMG is without a doubt the Vector. IT. JUST. SUCKS.

DoomGyver

Mush said:
I'm using the MP5K now and honestly its not that bad. Its no where near as good as the MP5 in CoD4 and it's outclassed by the UMP and P90 but the worst SMG is without a doubt the Vector. IT. JUST. SUCKS.
The fuck? The vector is the second best SMG in the game. It kills just as quick as the UMP.

20 damage at long range at 1000 rpm? yes please.

MrDaravon

Mush said:

I hate the vector with a passion. It's actually not bad at all with a holographic sight and extended mags, but that's a pretty specific setup. Hated doing the Mastery on this one until I unlocked everything and found out that combo actually works pretty well, but I was done with it at that point :lol

Full Recovery said:
The fuck? The vector is the second best SMG in the game. It kills just as quick as the UMP.

20 damage at long range at 1000 rpm? yes please.

It fucking BURNS through ammo, and it's clip size is too small. If it's clips were about a third bigger, or it did a little more damage I'd say it's totally worth it, but I was struggling to kill two people with a single clip because it shoots so fast. If it's damage is actually good then I was probably just wasting ammo since it fires so fast they may have already been dead, but I never really noticed that honestly.

Dresden

Eh, the Vector's pretty much the SCAR of smgs. You need Scavenger Pro for it because you'll bleed dry of ammo extremely fast.

I don't use the UMP anymore, mainly because after a while I got bored of it. MP5k is a beast, though. It's not going to snipe anyone but up-close it's deadly. I had a lot of fun using Rapid Fire+Steady Aim+Stopping Power on it, especially in close-quarter maps like Skidrow or Favela.

I don't see the UMP much, especially in MTDM or Ground War. It's usually assault rifles or the occasional shotgun or sniper.

DoomGyver

You can easily kill 3 people in with one mag with the vector in cqc. Scavenger is a must though. Burst fire at long range you can kill someone in half a mag.

MrDaravon

Full Recovery said:
You can easily kill 3 people in with one mag with the vector in cqc. Scavenger is a must though. Burst fire at long range you can kill someone in half a mag.

I'm apparently doing something wrong then, I've got about 800 kills with the Vector and that was certainly nothing I was ever able to do.

DoomGyver

SailorDaravon said:
I'm apparently doing something wrong then, I've got about 800 kills with the Vector and that was certainly nothing I was ever able to do.
Control the trigger, since it shoots at 1000rpm it's easy to spray and miss 50% of your bullets. If you can keep your accuracy up you can get double/triple kills.

I have over 2500 kills and mastery with the vector and I out shoot UMPs all day.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Just had my best Team Death game ever (as far as kills go).

47 - 3. 47 out of the teams 75. My highest kill streak was Pavelow.

I went 30+ kills 6 games in a row just then also.

Mush

Full Recovery said:
Control the trigger, since it shoots at 1000rpm it's easy to spray and miss 50% of your bullets. If you can keep your accuracy up you can get double/triple kills.

I have over 2500 kills and mastery with the vector and I out shoot UMPs all day.
Whats your setup for the Vector?

DoomGyver

Mush said:
Vector+Silencer
Magnum+fmj
Scavenge pro
CB pro
Sitrep pro
flash x2 or smoke for wasteland/estate/afghan
semtex/throwing knife/TI (whatever I feel like that day)

I actually just got sitrep pro today, and I find it much easier to tell the difference between friendlies and foes. (I use a headset ad700s)

kuYuri

Whoever says MP5k sucks needs to stop trying to snipe with it.

Get up close and hipfire that bitch with Steady Aim equipped, people will go down fast. Once you get over the fact that it's not the MP5 from CoD4, you'll realize how good it is. If you do ADS, you need to really control the recoil.

OMGLOL A LLAMA

Neo Member
One thing Infinity Ward did right was balance the smgs. ALL of them are usable and reliable, except maybe the vector. Deadass it's easy to rack em up with the ump, p90, mp5 or mini uzi. They all have their strengths and weaknesses but they're all viable choices.

Mush

OMGLOL A LLAMA said:
One thing Infinity Ward did right was balance the smgs. ALL of them are usable and reliable, except maybe the vector. Deadass it's easy to rack em up with the ump, p90, mp5 or mini uzi. They all have their strengths and weaknesses but they're all viable choices.
Agreed.

foomfoom415 said:
If it helps, the fact that these hacks have been around for months and months and you've only just now encountered one should tell you how widespread they are. And to be fair, these hacks are a result of jtag'd consoles and I'd be more inclined to blame Microsoft for hacks relating to that. Care package glitch, 1887s, etc go ahead and lay those at IW's feet, but the jtag problem is one that is far more difficult to deal with, especially for a 3rd party developer.

yeah that argument doesn't work.

Man, theres so much hacking going on in BC2 and Halo 3 and other 360 FPS's oh wait...

Belfast

Mush said:

It's not just consoles, I've encountered hacked servers on the PC, as well.

Belfast

DRE Fei said:
The reason everyone uses the UMP is because all the other SMGs are crap by comparison, especially the MP5k. What else do you guys expect people to do against these assault rifle users? Blame IW for not balancing the weapons properly. LOL nobody even uses LMGs in this game at all. How about that? I'm not even worried about the UMP situation anyway because there's real broke ass shit that needs to be fixed in this game.

It's not a matter of UMP vs ARs, it's a matter of UMP being overpowered compared to ALL the other guns in the game.

And I use LMGs all the time. <3 RPD and the M240 ain't bad aside from the iron sights. Of course, there's the AUG, but I don't use that much anymore.

Najaf

Tried quick-scoping for the first time tonight. Had the intervention and did pretty well. It definitely is a skill that takes time to master. It is a nice change of pace to my usual UMP loadout. I'm pretty sure I will jump out of my seat when I get my first collateral with a quick-scope. I must say it was a bit frustrating to be ten feet from a guy and get off four QS shots only to miss them all. Other times though, I'd peg 'em on the first go. Any tips?

Pulka

I was just leveling up Bling to Pro, and came up with this class:

P90 Holo and Silencer
G18 akimbo and extended mags
Bling Pro
Lightweight Pro
Steady aim Pro
grenades
whatever

Spray and pray!

Is it blatantly obvious if you are in a lobby with a jtagged console? Or can they change setting so subtle that you might not even notice, yet is still unfair?

OMGLOL A LLAMA said:

Yeah, I like the SMGs too, but the UMP really is the best of all of them. 40 damage close to 35 far is pretty ridiculous.

In my mind the SMG hierarchy goes UMP > Mini-Uzi > P90 > Vector > MP5k

MarkMclovin said:
Is it blatantly obvious if you are in a lobby with a jtagged console? Or can they change setting so subtle that you might not even notice, yet is still unfair?

It's usually pretty obvious what's happening. Although I've heard that it's possible for the host to turn unlimited UAV on for his team and not the others, which I think is the only hack that affects only a single team.

We once found a modded lobby where everything was normal except strafe speed, which was 10x. That was weeeeird!

divisionbyzorro said:
As has been said before, this comes from JTagged XBox 360s. If a modded 360 becomes host, it can modify any game setting it wants, which clearly includes the drop table for the care package. Blame Microsoft for their broke-ass console.

EDIT: And this is nothing new. I'm pretty sure I've seen YouTube videos of nukes in care packages since just about a month after launch. If it happens to you, dashboard out of the game (since you don't deserve to have that shit play into your ratios), clear your cache, and hop back in. Hopefully IW can fix this as easily as they fixed the super-speed lobbies.

I still feel inclined to blame IW simply because I havent even heard of this JTagged xbox thing afecting any other games.

What actually is it, a development version of the xbox with the ability to edit game variables or something?

PetriP-TNT said:
Call me a genius - two matches, 12 hot potato kills. Throwing frag nades to yourself -> awesome, genius, insane
Fuuuu

I've never got a hot potato kill for that challenge. The odds of a nade landing right by your feet, with enough time for you to throw it, and for it to hit a person are insane.

I know what I'll be doing later. :p

aku:jiki

Wow, I just finished the Hot Potato challenge in one game by tossing my own frags at the ground and then throwing them again (as posted by someone in this thread). I thought that challenge was gonna be a pain in the ass but Danger Close + Headquarters + Highrise + enemies that kept charging the HQ's was a good combo. I probably got half the required kills from just that HQ in the tunnel alone. :D

Edit: Woah, random... I didn't see PetriP's post before I posted. :lol

Sanic

bobs99 ... said:
I still feel inclined to blame IW simply because I havent even heard of this JTagged xbox thing afecting any other games.

What actually is it, a development version of the xbox with the ability to edit game variables or something?

It's just a 360 that has been modified to run unsigned code. It can do almost everything a dev console can. As for why it affects MW2, it has to do with how they designed their game essentially. Like, for example, for Halo 3, all 'game variables' as you would say are stored directly in the map, which is RSA encrypted. This is checked when joining matchmaking. So a JTAG console could have modded maps but would be kicked/banned from matchmaking. I guess MW2 doesn't have any of these kinds of checks? At least that's how I remember it.

I had been planning that tactic for a while now but never thought it would work that well. Granted, I got killed like 20 times when I would have easily gotten a weapon kill but it was pretty cool anyway. Now I just need to figure how to hell I can get that Droppin' Crates award :p

Pandoracell said:
It's just a 360 that has been modified to run unsigned code. It can do almost everything a dev console can. As for why it affects MW2, it has to do with how they designed their game essentially. Like, for example, for Halo 3, all 'game variables' as you would say are stored directly in the map, which is RSA encrypted. This is checked when joining matchmaking. So a JTAG console could have modded maps but would be kicked/banned from matchmaking. I guess MW2 doesn't have any of these kinds of checks? At least that's how I remember it.

Right.

Remember how IW talked about how they changed the way game variables were stored? So they could create new, awesome playlists on the fly? Well, not only have they not created new playlists, but their new game variable storage is apparently easily hacked.

This doesn't make it entirely their fault, of course. That'd be like saying it was your fault your car got stolen because you only have a standard key lock and not one of them new-fangled smart keys. In retrospect though, I bet they very much regret that decision.

PetriP-TNT said:
I had been planning that tactic for a while now but never thought it would work that well. Granted, I got killed like 20 times when I would have easily gotten a weapon kill but it was pretty cool anyway. Now I just need to figure how to hell I can get that Droppin' Crates award :p
The only people I've ever killed with a crate is some idiotic teamates who didn't realise they were too close, or myself. :lol

If you're not boosting, I can't see many situations where you'll surprise an enemy with a crate. The smoke will give you away even if they're prone and sniping, surely.

divisionbyzorro said:
Right.

Remember how IW talked about how they changed the way game variables were stored? So they could create new, awesome playlists on the fly? Well, not only have they not created new playlists, but their new game variable storage is apparently easily hacked.

This doesn't make it entirely their fault, of course. That'd be like saying it was your fault your car got stolen because you only have a standard key lock and not one of them new-fangled smart keys. In retrospect though, I bet they very much regret that decision.

I would say that it is IW's fualt, the Jtagged xboxes are a way in, but theyre a known problem. IW really should be making theyre game as secure as possible, and as someone with experiance in software development that whole aspect is VERY important, and is something IW seems to have dropped the ball on. They have a excellent design team, but im more hesitent to praise the programming team. To be fair though, CoD is a incredibly complex game.

To an insurance company, IT IS your fualt if you dont use the right level of security when picking locks for cars!

Sanic

bobs99 ... said:
I would say that it is IW's fualt, the Jtagged xboxes are a way in, but theyre a known problem. IW really should be making theyre game as secure as possible, and as someone with experiance in software development that whole aspect is VERY important, and is something IW seems to have dropped the ball on. They have a excellent design team, but im more hesitent to praise the programming team. To be fair though, CoD is a incredibly complex game.

To an insurance company, IT IS your fualt if you dont use the right level of security when picking locks for cars!

I would have to agree. I honestly don't know a whole lot about the MW2 system, but it seems like they just dropped the ball on this one. There are always situations you can't foresee, but I don't see how this could be one of them, especially with the problems they had with hacking in COD4.

All gameplay data is just stored in files, which are encrypted I would assume (but that doesn't matter with the Jtag console). There is apparently no consistency check with some other source?

Regardless, their Quake 3 Are...er, my bad, "IW 4.0" engine seems to have tripped out of the starting gate.

Jrmint

Mush said:
Just noticed the Vector discussion, and this is one of my absolute favorite guns in the game. Definitely my favorite SMG. I think it is the second best behind the UMP, but I like it a lot better personally.

My setup is:
Vector w/ silencer
PP2000 w/ silencer or extended mags (once I unlock it)
Marathon Pro
SP Pro
Ninja Pro

I personally recommend using a machine pistol with the Vector since like people have said it runs out of ammo fairly quickly, and having something like the PP2k to go to afterwards you're not losing much at all. Also for SMGs I basically only use Marathon since they are always rush classes for me, so putting Scavenger or something on it just wouldn't make sense to me.

My 2 cents.

Top Bottom