• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Veritas_ said:
Tell me about it. We can only do so much for our team.

The apparent lack of OMA fix is a little disappointing. Had two games today with players running around spewing grenade launchers like it was going out of style.

So they really did nothing about OMA tubing? Really? Nothing?

That's total bullshit.

zam

Foliorum Viridum said:
Okay, I'm giving up on this and going back to coursework. Hopefully in 2/3 hours I'll be able to join a fucking game. :lol
Yeah, can't join a game or even invite someone to my party..

Frillen

So I finally managed to get myself into a game, but it was impossible to shoot anyone :lol :lol You could only kill someone by using noobtubes, claymores, grenades etc. Not regular bullets :lol

Oh Microsoft.....

ShOcKwAvE

Frillen said:
So I finally managed to get myself into a game, but it was impossible to shoot anyone :lol :lol You could only kill someone by using noobtubes, claymores, grenades etc. Not regular bullets :lol

Oh Microsoft.....

Um, how is it their fault now?

eek5

Frillen said:
So I finally managed to get myself into a game, but it was impossible to shoot anyone :lol :lol You could only kill someone by using noobtubes, claymores, grenades etc. Not regular bullets :lol .
so most of the kills were business as usual :p

Frillen said:

Oh Microsoft.....
100% MW2 gameplay still in tact

volt01

Neo Member
Why are we all still surprised when something that involves a video game and the internet doesn't work the day it is released or supposed to be released. Between Xbox Live, Steam, Bad Company 2 and Bethesda Games(Fallout 3 for PC) I just assume that I won't be able to play the game until the day after its release. It's a sad but true fact of games.

Jrmint

I see no change to OMA at all, maybe someone else will be able to tell.

Bailout is so fucking awesome, definitely my favorite map of the bunch.
Salvage came up on SnD and it was awesome for that mode, seems like it could be a clusterfuck for anything else.
Storm was pretty nice, but seemed pretty ordinary for the most part.

Frillen said:

Oh Microsoft.....

That's ok, played yesterday and my first 6 deaths were not from being shot and killed, it was knife, knife, knife, grenade launcher, knife, semtex. So much fun!!!

Jrmint

Pulka said:
Is it double EXP for the non-dlc playlists?
No, double xp is only for the Stimulus playlist.

By the way, the game modes in the non-hardcore playlist are TDM, Domination, HQ Pro, Search and Destroy, Demolition, Sabotage.

Miggytronz

Major Nelson - "Matchmaking is in a bad state on Xbox LIVE right now. We're working on it and will resolve it as quickly as we can."

I guess matchmaking on all games are effd, HALO players are experiencing problems too.

Sh0k

Skel said:
No, double xp is only for the Stimulus playlist.

By the way, the game modes in the non-hardcore playlist are TDM, Domination, HQ Pro, Search and Destroy, Demolition, Sabotage.

There is no Free For All mode for the new maps ?

Mikasangelos said:
Major Nelson - "Matchmaking is in a bad state on Xbox LIVE right now. We're working on it and will resolve it as quickly as we can."

I guess matchmaking on all games are effd, HALO players are experiencing problems too.
Amazing how this happens the day of the MW2 dlc and update :lol

No TDM or FFA playlists for Stimulus maps. WTF WHY?! GODDAMN, why would you not let us play the most popular gametype on the new maps?

Who makes these decisions, ffs?

The only playlists are a mixed-mode w/s&d, demolition, CTF and another one that is the same mix with hardcore ricochet.

Hardcore ricochet but no TDM?!!

I'm so pissed right now. $15 was no biggie, but this? God.

Frillen

Activision/MS/IW has managed to fuck up four times now with this DLC.

1. The DLC is overpriced
2. They couldn't even manage to get the patch out in time of the DLC
3. Then they fucked up the mathmaking so now it's almost impssoible to find decent games, yet alone find ANY games
4. Where the frell is the regular TD mode!?

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
damn....I can't play any games. I'm not sure if it'd be funny if the map pack broke the game essentially for people who dont buy it i.e. can't get into 50% of lobbies.

it'd be a trainwreck and might force people to rethink things, then again it might just force everyone to buy the fucker.

edit whoa I'm joining a game!

knitoe

What? All I play is TDM. Just spent $15 on something I won't use. Why the hell didn't IW allow all playlist is beyond stupid.

divisionbyzorro said:
So they really did nothing about OMA tubing? Really? Nothing?

That's total bullshit.

Not that I can see. They may have reduced the blast radius that Danger Close gives to OMAs, but I can't see a difference.

True word, knitoe. I wasted money on this without TDM. If it doesn't appear soon then there's no way IW will get my money for any future map packs. I certainly won't be a first-wave buyer again.

celestial body said:
So, hold on, the 2 most popular playlists by an overwhelming margin aren't available? I can't understand the reasoning for that.
They want you to camp the flag so you can earn double exp on people actually trying to play the game mode correctly :lol

rvy

Banned
15d540o.jpg

Let me play my game, Goddammit! I payed 70€ this thing!

knitoe said:
What? All I play is TDM. Just spent $15 on something I won't use. Why the hell didn't IW allow all playlist is beyond stupid.

Holy shit calm down. Just because they don't have a Stimulus-only TDM-only playlist doesn't meant that the new maps won't be used in TDM.

Once the initial week of showing off the maps is over, I would assume everything should go back to normal and the new maps will be mixed into the regular playlists.

Holy shit calm down. Just because they don't have a Stimulus-only TDM-only playlist doesn't meant that the new maps won't be used in TDM.

Once the initial week of showing off the maps is over, I would assume everything should go back to normal and the new maps will be mixed into the regular playlists.

If that's the case, then non-DLC players will just be booted out of lobbies when the DLC maps turn up? That would work in merc TDM but would break TDM parties.

Genesis Knight said:
If that's the case, then non-DLC players will just be booted out of lobbies when the DLC maps turn up? That would work in merc TDM but would break TDM parties.

If done right, non-DLC players won't ever be matched up with DLC players.

If done right.

divisionbyzorro said:
If done right, non-DLC players won't ever be matched up with DLC players.

If done right.

Assuming let's say 50% of players bought the maps (number completely made up), if DLC and non-DLC players are never matched up, you effectively cut the numbet of matches you have access to in half. This has some consequences when it comes finding non-laggy matches. The bigger the playerbase, the better your chance of getting a smooth match.

Personally I felt COD5 had a decent balance between serving the needs of DLC and non-DLC players. As a non-DLC player myself, getting into lobbies with new maps was annoying, but I can understand that the DLC players want a chance to play their maps. I'd either veto or find another match in 20 seconds. Not a huge deal.

But hey at least it's not like Halo amirite?

PedroLumpy said:
Assuming let's say 50% of players bought the maps (number completely made up), if DLC and non-DLC players are never matched up, you effectively cut the numbet of matches you have access to in half. This has some consequences when it comes finding non-laggy matches. The bigger the playerbase, the better your chance of getting a smooth match.

Personally I felt COD5 had a decent balance between serving the needs of DLC and non-DLC players. As a non-DLC player myself, getting into lobbies with new maps was annoying, but I can understand that the DLC players want a chance to play their maps. I'd either veto or find another match in 20 seconds. Not a huge deal.

But hey at least it's not like Halo amirite?

If I had bought the maps I would have hated that system because the new maps always seemed to be voted down. Thus I would never have gotten to play them. Thus my money would have been wasted.

As much as I have defended the cost of the DLC as being reasonable, someone in the DLC-bashing thread had a great point. Map packs should be free. Not because they aren't worth money, but because they split the user-base. Give away maps for free. Charge for new game content. They could charge for new guns, killstreak bonuses, challenges (plus titles and emblems), perks, etc, and so long as they weren't overpowered they wouldn't split the user base.

I suppose ideally you match everybody together, and when a DLC map comes up, you should seamlessly split the lobby in two, find people to fill the gaps, and keep going forward. But their matchmaking system can barely handle the game as it is now - making it more complicated is certainly not the answer. :lol

PedroLumpy said:
Assuming let's say 50% of players bought the maps (number completely made up), if DLC and non-DLC players are never matched up, you effectively cut the numbet of matches you have access to in half.

You're forgetting that people who purchased the DLC are not locked out of the original maps. Most of the time non-DLC players will be eligible to match up with DLC players.

Edit: You're right to question the ability of the (already shaky) matchmaking system.

Also-there ain't gonna be a 50% adoption rate on this.

Belfast

Frillen said:

Oh Microsoft.....

I think that's what the patch fixed. Bullets killing people. It was clearly becoming a nuisance to all the legitimate noobtubers and wallhackers out there.

Belfast

Genesis Knight said:
The only playlists are a mixed-mode w/s&d, demolition, CTF and another one that is the same mix with hardcore ricochet.

Hardcore ricochet but no TDM?!!

I'm so pissed right now. $15 was no biggie, but this? God.

Domination isn't even the mixed playlist?!

divisionbyzorro said:
If I had bought the maps I would have hated that system because the new maps always seemed to be voted down. Thus I would never have gotten to play them. Thus my money would have been wasted.

As much as I have defended the cost of the DLC as being reasonable, someone in the DLC-bashing thread had a great point. Map packs should be free. Not because they aren't worth money, but because they split the user-base. Give away maps for free. Charge for new game content. They could charge for new guns, killstreak bonuses, challenges (plus titles and emblems), perks, etc, and so long as they weren't overpowered they wouldn't split the user base.

I suppose ideally you match everybody together, and when a DLC map comes up, you should seamlessly split the lobby in two, find people to fill the gaps, and keep going forward. But their matchmaking system can barely handle the game as it is now - making it more complicated is certainly not the answer. :lol

Indeed I did feel bad whenever a map got vetoed in COD5, majority rules I guess, but in COD4 I think if they got into a lobby with even just 1 non-DLC player, then no maps. In theory in COD5 it takes half the room to be non-DLC.

But I would certainly agree that neither is ideal. Free maps for all! Just personally I'd rather have no maps than paid map packs.

PalaceBrother said:
You're forgetting that people who purchased the DLC are not locked out of the original maps. Most of the time non-DLC players will be eligible to match up with DLC players.

Also-there ain't gonna be a 50% adoption rate on this.

Ah yes, I was reacting to the suggestion that DLC and non-DLC be segregated, not reacting to the actual integration of the DLC as it stands now. Which I don't even know.

N.B. I don't actually know how it'll work. Don't go nuts and take this stuff as fact. Just theorycrafting.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
So wait - non DLC people can be matched up with DLC people (and the new maps just never show up in the rotation)? I've always wondered about the map packs and matching. Seems like a huge downside to buying the map packs (I got them for the first MW).

Whoever had the idea of selling in game content is a genius.

Top Bottom