• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Bailout is average for me, feels kinda cramped.

Storm is great, definitely my favorite of the new maps.

Salvage is not very good. Everyone just runs around knifing.

Crash is amazing, it makes you realize what a dropoff there is between COD4 maps and MW2 maps.

Overgrown is the best map in the game now. It's just as good as it was in COD4.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
I caved in and bought the map pack.. FUUUUUUUU

I contributed to evil :-(

Oh well, time to go kick some ass on the new maps. :D

Terrordactyl said:
So they didn't make a map pack playlist? Seems like a no brainer to me. Doesn't really matter because I'm on PS3.

No, they did make a map pack playlist. They made what essentially amounts to a "Stimulus Mosh Pit" and a "Hardcore Stimulus Mosh Pit" playlist.

divisionbyzorro said:
No, they did make a map pack playlist. They made a "Stimulus Mosh Pit" and a "Hardcore Stimulus Mosh Pit" playlist.

Oh OK, so people that hate Sabotage and want to play nothing but SandD are screwed then, until they add the other playlists at least. That playlist list must be getting pretty lengthy.

aku:jiki said:
It feels like you people are talking about a different game or something. With the spawn system MW2 has, TDM is easily the most annoying mode in the game... Random, lots of back-spawning and lots of spending 20 seconds just trying to find where the action is. So boring.

Agree to disagree. It's for people that just want to shoot other people, not run flags, plant bombs, hold areas. Blah. I spend no time looking for action, more times than not it's in the spot opposite of where you are on any map. Not sure what back-spawning is. Might be boring to some but it's got some redeeming quality judging by players in that play list.

REV 09

Bumblebeetuna said:
I usually hate when people cry about this game and I have defended it to death here but man, Commando is really by far the biggest mistake they have made with this game imho. Surely during testing and development ONE of these people had to say "you know, people might not enjoy enemies lunging around corners and up staircases at them for easy kills".

I was on Storm tonight playing Demolition and I was covering the dude planting the bomb, the one in the little room with a staircase through the door on the right. I go up the stairs and get around the corner and wham some fucker that was at the bottom of the stairs flies up the stairs and around the corner to kill me. FUCK. It's almost enough to make me not play anymore and go play BC2 or something. I will take getting ass raped in the ass by constant noob tube barrages over something like that.

Can they patch out a perk?
i agree with this. knife-warping pisses me off so much in this game. I just wish the game was a bit more of a military shooter instead of whatever the hell kind of VIDEO GAME it has turned into. I haven't seem enemies charge a fully automatic shooting gun since Quake/Unreal days. The knife should be 1 hit kill from behind...two hits for the front.

zero margin said:
Agree to disagree. It's for people that just want to shoot other people, not run flags, plant bombs, hold areas. Blah. I spend no time looking for action, more times than not it's in the spot opposite of where you are on any map. Not sure what back-spawning is. Might be boring to some but it's got some redeeming quality judging by players in that play list.

I agree that TDM is good because it's less of a camp-fest, but it still has it's problems. Nothing in this game is perfect really, although I have more fun with Mercs TDM than regular TDM.

Terrordactyl said:
I agree that TDM is good because it's less of a camp-fest, but it still has it's problems. Nothing in this game is perfect really, although I have more fun with Mercs TDM than regular TDM.

Less camping as well yes, I do like S&D though so as not to be a total hypocrite.

KePoW

Banned
Skel said:
I was just on and I don't think it has been implemented yet. I scrolled through the playlists and none of them said "double xp" below the description like the Stimulus one did.

Does anyone know if it's verified that there will be Double XP today for all playlists?

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I think my patience with this game has run out. I still like it, but playing against other people gets tiresome. some people are just monstrous at the game and others employ the most annoying tactics.

Its ludicrous when I'm peeking out of a window and some guy from 5 miles away running down an alley can spot me and kill me before I kill him. A sliver of my body was showing yet he can stop, aim and destroy me before my bullets take him out.

or maybe I spot some guy far way who has a tiny bit of head showing over a wall so I take careful aim only to have him kill me with magic bullets coming out of the top of his head while my hit markers are ignored.

I also find myself getting pissed a lot easier. Usually I would only get pissed if I die say 10 times a match, I got so accustomed to keeping my deaths in the single figures, when I get to 9 I am raging.

but now my tolerance is zero. a lot of my friends have dropped off as well, they used to do ok but have started playing worse and worse and they just dont feel like playing anymore, probably cos they keep losing. you have to try so hard and take it so seriously to do well that sometimes you dont feel like it.

anyone else still play despite not doing so well?

kaizoku said:
I think my patience with this game has run out. I still like it, but playing against other people gets tiresome. some people are just monstrous at the game and others employ the most annoying tactics.

Its ludicrous when I'm peeking out of a window and some guy from 5 miles away running down an alley can spot me and kill me before I kill him. A sliver of my body was showing yet he can stop, aim and destroy me before my bullets take him out.

or maybe I spot some guy far way who has a tiny bit of head showing over a wall so I take careful aim only to have him kill me with magic bullets coming out of the top of his head while my hit markers are ignored.

I also find myself getting pissed a lot easier. Usually I would only get pissed if I die say 10 times a match, I got so accustomed to keeping my deaths in the single figures, when I get to 9 I am raging.

but now my tolerance is zero. a lot of my friends have dropped off as well, they used to do ok but have started playing worse and worse and they just dont feel like playing anymore, probably cos they keep losing. you have to try so hard and take it so seriously to do well that sometimes you dont feel like it.

anyone else still play despite not doing so well?

I was getting ripped up yesterday big time in stimulus, after a while I went back to my old standby gun (SCAR) and did better. As for your complaints I feel that way (being shot and not even really seeing the guy) about BFBC2 more so. I can hardly ever see anyone before I'm dead in that game and that is so frustrating. You tried turning up to a higher sensitivity? brightness on your TV? Some of those things were issues for me.

Some of these (very frustrating) things are mostly explainable in terms of game mechanics. First off, if you play with the brightness up high enough, player models give off a 'shine' that contrasts to the environments. If you combine this with always looking as far ahead as possible on maps like Skidrow, you can get the sort of long-distance 'sliver shots' you're talking about. I can spot a sniper's arm or foot from the other end of a tunnel instantly because of shine. Movement is also a killer. You might try to pay attention to movement of any kind - pretty easy since MW2 maps are so static. Secondly, latency accounts for a lot of the other frustrating kills. To you, maybe, it looked like you'd filled the target up with bullets, but if you watch the killcams you can see that he'd actually headshot you before you'd started firing more than one bullet or so and lag basically 'extended' your life. This is really obvious when people clip you when you run behind corners as well - when you die, you reappear before you got to cover, because lag was the only reason you got to cover on your local client of the match.

TDM does not force anyone to go into any particular part of the map. I find that far more interesting, than the sort of flag 'nade spam/camping that goes on. While I view camping as a legitimate strategy in objective modes, you have to be a really good camper to dominate a TDM match, since there is no artificial incentive for people to all go to one area.

I've always found elegance in the simplicity of it. But I wouldn't go around saying objective modes are flawed or anything, just not my cup o' tea.

Sethos

Banned
Dresden said:
Dunno why you think removing perks and killstreaks will somehow foster teamwork.

That comes from playing with friends who refuse to play the game in it's current, shitty form - Including myself.

Genesis Knight said:
Serious question: are there still people playing Cod4 on Xbox?

Here you go. It's the lowest of the active CoD games, but it's more popular than, say, Left 4 Dead 2.

MajorNelson said:
Live Activity for the Week of March 22:
  1. Modern Warfare 2
  2. Halo 3
  3. Battlefield Bad Co. 2
  4. Game Room
  5. Call of Duty: WaW
  6. FIFA 10
  7. Call of Duty 4
  8. GTA IV
  9. Splinter Cell Conviction Demo
  10. Gears of War 2
  11. Left 4 Dead 2
  12. FINAL FANTASY XIII
  13. Forza Motorsport 3
  14. Just Cause 2 Demo
  15. NBA 2K10
  16. Madden NFL 10
  17. Borderlands
  18. Halo 3: ODST
  19. Mass Effect 2
  20. NHL 10

I wonder how many different Call of Duty communities XBox Live can actually support?

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
divisionbyzorro said:
This. A thousand times this.

Without an objective to direct the flow of traffic, the worst aspects of this game come to the forefront. I'll play a round or two as a palate cleanser, but I can't imagine playing an entire session of nothing but TDM.

I can. Objectives just get in the way.

REV 09

Genesis Knight said:
Shocked that so many people still play GoW2 with its horrifically lag-broken multiplayer.
well, it's no longer horrifically lag-broken.

and imo, WaW is the best CoD mp experience on the market. I would rank them WaW>MW>MW2. The dogs aren't as annoying as the other killstreak bonuses in the MW games.

REV 09 said:
well, it's no longer horrifically lag-broken.

and imo, WaW is the best CoD mp experience on the market. I would rank them WaW>MW>MW2. The dogs aren't as annoying as the other killstreak bonuses in the MW games.
Gears 2 still has significant host advantage issues. Someone with host who is even remotely good will crush the other team.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Genesis Knight said:
Shocked that so many people still play GoW2 with its horrifically lag-broken multiplayer.
This is exactly what I thought as I looked at the list!

It's not just lag broken, it's broken in almost every respect, game mechanics, weapons, movement, level design. There are no redeeming features. You can't change the way you play it, there seems to be only one or two ways to play, every game feels the same sothe people playing it must literally be doing the same thing over and over. Bleh!

kaizoku said:
This is exactly what I thought as I looked at the list!

It's not just lag broken, it's broken in almost every respect, game mechanics, weapons, movement, level design. There are no redeeming features. You can't change the way you play it, there seems to be only one or two ways to play, every game feels the same sothe people playing it must literally be doing the same thing over and over. Bleh!

They would probably say the same thing about us, to be fair
although they would be wrong
:lol

LosDaddie

Banned
Genesis Knight said:
When did GoW2 get fixed? Last I tried playing a match (earlier this year) it was a total joke.

Now granted I haven't played Gears2 in a couple months, but I haven't had a problem with its MP since after the first major patch.

DRE Fei

Critical Jeff said:
Having no lunge on commando would defeat the purpose of having commando at all.
They simply need to remove the extended range, give it the properties of tac knife, and get rid of tac knife as an attachment for handguns. Commando Pro can stay the same. This game's lag cannot handle commando how it is now. Problem solved.

Dresden

DRE Fei said:
They simply need to remove the extended range, give it the properties of tac knife, and get rid of tac knife as an attachment for handguns. Commando Pro can stay the same. Problem solved.
Just remove the range and have regular Commando cut melee time in half. Have it stack with tactical knife. So you could chop shit like a sushi chef but you won't get shotgun lunges.

Dresden said:
Just remove the range and have regular Commando cut melee time in half. Have it stack with tactical knife. So you could chop shit like a sushi chef but you won't get shotgun lunges.

Or remove the insane aim assist from the knife lunge. Theoretically the SPAS-12 should be superior in every way to Commando, but you don't get any real aim assist with the SPAS.

EDIT: Actually, I suppose the main drawback to the SPAS is the weapon raise time. Lightweight does mitigate this, but the knife is still much faster.

strikeselect

Loving the new maps, Crash and Overgrown play surprisingly well in Modern Warfare 2. Great map design is truly immortal.

I feel like the Stimulus package maps are leagues ahead of the on disc ones. Kudos IW!

strikeselect

402 just updated via twitter:

# Modern Warfare 2 playlists now updated. They should all have double XP and include the new maps in their rotation. May need to restart! #MW2 8 minutes ago via web

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I would like to just be able to play only TDM on the new maps. Is that so much to ask?

Now I have I have to choose between playing game types I don't like or playing maps I don't like. great.

HoTHiTTeR

D4Danger said:
I would like to just be able to play only TDM on the new maps. Is that so much to ask?

Now I have I have to choose between playing game types I don't like or playing maps I don't like. great.

Did you read the tweet 2 posts up?

TheFreshPrince said:
If I but the maps on my account, can my brother use them on his account (same 360)??

Thanks!

nope.

Proc

I forgot the maps came out this week. Going to grab them. Don't like the price but this is my go to online console game, aside from nhl 10

TheFreshPrince said:
If I buy the maps on my account, can my brother use them on his account (same 360)??

Thanks!
DLC works on the one 360 you bought it on or your gamertag, so if he plays on the same 360, yes.

If you choose to download something from xbox.com, I think it will reg to the first 360 you sign in on to download.

Linkhero1 said:
I really wanna get the new maps but I'm not about to spend 1200 pts on them. Hoping they will be cheap some day.

You know the old saying, wish in one hand shit in the other and see which fills up first. :lol

Seriously though, there was over half a million downloads in half a day yesterday, this ain't coming down for a while.

Top Bottom