• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

I usually hate when people cry about this game and I have defended it to death here but man, Commando is really by far the biggest mistake they have made with this game imho. Surely during testing and development ONE of these people had to say "you know, people might not enjoy enemies lunging around corners and up staircases at them for easy kills".

I was on Storm tonight playing Demolition and I was covering the dude planting the bomb, the one in the little room with a staircase through the door on the right. I go up the stairs and get around the corner and wham some fucker that was at the bottom of the stairs flies up the stairs and around the corner to kill me. FUCK. It's almost enough to make me not play anymore and go play BC2 or something. I will take getting ass raped in the ass by constant noob tube barrages over something like that.

Can they patch out a perk?

quadrax1s

Neo Member
AwesomeSyrup said:
After playing the remakes and the new maps I realize what a terrible job IW did at making maps that came on the disc.
That's good to hear though. I can't wait to get the new maps for the PS3... getting sick of constantly having to play maps like Karachi, Quarry, and Estate. *shudder*

AwesomeSyrup said:
After playing the remakes and the new maps I realize what a terrible job IW did at making maps that came on the disc.
In the task of gaining incredible much money via DLC they couldn't do a better job...

Dresden

Getting knifed after pumping four or five shots into them is frustrating, but it really doesn't happen enough to be such a big issue. You don't even see many knife-only builds anymore.

These new playlists fucking LOVE Crash and Overgrown. I never played CoD4 but I am already sick of them. Christ I've played each 10 times at least but still haven't once played that new snow level and have only once played Storm. Christ.

RedAssedApe

Banned
The new maps are alright. I hate how I'm forced to play these game types though. I guess I'm just a strictly team death match kind of guy.

Xux

+Aliken+ said:
Have they announced a date for the new maps on the Ps3?

Nah, all we have is everyone (though no one official) saying its a 30 day exclusive which would mean end of April.

Only official word is "at a later date" or something like that.

henhowc said:
The new maps are alright. I hate how I'm forced to play these game types though. I guess I'm just a strictly team death match kind of guy.

I actually like most of the moshpit/objective-based game types (except Sabotage is hella stupid) but it's annoying as shit switching after every damn round. Plus forcing everyone who wants to play the new maps into this type of mode just means half the people don't even play for the objectives.

I can't wait till they put the new maps in the other modes. Even if the new playlists were a little more evenly mixed (instead of Crash, Overgrown, Crash, Crash, Overgrown, 1 of the new maps, Overgrown, Crash) any 5 maps over and over will get old really fast. Mix them the fuck in with the other modes you stupid fucks.

FafaFooey

Maybe it's just me but I have been sucking so fucking bad since the mappack came out. Now, I'm just your average player with the occasional 22-3 match, but normally I score about 18-10 in average TDM matches.
Almost every single game last night ended in some shit score like 7-16. Maybe I'm not trying hard enough to remember some sweet spots in the new maps or I'm not paying enough attention to where the enemy is coming from, since it seems like everyone else has already discovered their ideal sniping/camping spot.

Overall though, aside from the HORRENDOUS IDEA to make it a moshpit playlist, the maps are pretty cool. I didn't study every little detail yet since most of the games I joined were either Sabotage or S&D and I just plain suck at those game modes.

Storm is a little to clusterfuck-y for me still, but I'll eventually learn the map patterns I guess. The other 2 maps are already a lot of fun to play (when in TDM that is).

Magik

What IW should have done with Commando was to have the non-pro version have no lunge at all while the pro version having the standard lunge we had in CoD 4. Their netcode is too messed up to handle the current way Commando works.

Accidentus

Neo Member
I love paying 25$ for the new maps because I only had 120 points on my account and fucking Microsoft won't let you buy points in increments less than 1000.

e5006585.gif

Jrmint

So I never played CTF before this Stimulus playlist, and holy crap the announcer never shuts up, god damn that is annoying.

LosDaddie

Banned
So are the matchmaking problems over now? I'm thinking of buying the maps tonight if so.

I saw about 8 people on my FL playing the new maps last night.

careful

Magik said:
What IW should have done with Commando was to have the non-pro version have no lunge at all while the pro version having the standard lunge we had in CoD 4. Their netcode is too messed up to handle the current way Commando works.
I support this.

careful said:
I support this.

Or just drop the tactical knife attachment from handguns and have Commando be "faster melee."

In a perfect world, Commando is fine. But yes - the natural lag barrier is enough to futz with the player's perception so that it seems to be doing things it shouldn't be allowed to do.

itsgreen

Accidentus said:
I love paying 25$ for the new maps because I only had 120 points on my account and fucking Microsoft won't let you buy points in increments less than 1000.

e5006585.gif

Dont worry, Activision will come for those points in 4 months with a new 1200pts mappack.

A 4 maps pack. (2 old ones + 2 new). Just to see if everyone buys that.

Accidentus said:

e5006585.gif

You can buy 500 points through XBox.com; at least, I know you could as of just a couple weeks ago (when I bought 'Splosion Man).

moai

i still can't get into matches, it just keeps cycling through the " looking for good matches" screen and never finds one. i thought by now the must have fixed it.

Sushen

FafaFooey said:
Maybe it's just me but I have been sucking so fucking bad since the mappack came out. Now, I'm just your average player with the occasional 22-3 match, but normally I score about 18-10 in average TDM matches.
Almost every single game last night ended in some shit score like 7-16. Maybe I'm not trying hard enough to remember some sweet spots in the new maps or I'm not paying enough attention to where the enemy is coming from, since it seems like everyone else has already discovered their ideal sniping/camping spot.

Overall though, aside from the HORRENDOUS IDEA to make it a moshpit playlist, the maps are pretty cool. I didn't study every little detail yet since most of the games I joined were either Sabotage or S&D and I just plain suck at those game modes.

Storm is a little to clusterfuck-y for me still, but I'll eventually learn the map patterns I guess. The other 2 maps are already a lot of fun to play (when in TDM that is).
Buying the map pack is a hardcore gamer kind of thing, and definitely the skill pool will be much higher than everage MW2 players.

Jrmint

divisionbyzorro said:
This bears repeating on every single page until everyone sees it:

http://twitter.com/fourzerotwo/status/11336702562

That was yesterday, so "tomorrow" is today.

I was just on and I don't think it has been implemented yet. I scrolled through the playlists and none of them said "double xp" below the description like the Stimulus one did.

By the way, what kind of strategy have you guys been using on Salvage? I personally having been using my rush SMG Vector class with Spas-12 secondary because of the CQB. How bout you guys?

lionelhutz

Skel said:
I was just on and I don't think it has been implemented yet. I scrolled through the playlists and none of them said "double xp" below the description like the Stimulus one did.

By the way, what kind of strategy have you guys been using on Salvage? I personally having been using my rush SMG Vector class with Spas-12 secondary because of the CQB. How bout you guys?

Noob tube + AA12 + Scavenger + Claymore + Smoke

:D

Sethos

Banned
Am I the only one who'd love a sort of "Vanilla" game-mode?

No perks, no kill / death-streaks, no nothing just players, their weapons and some good ole' fashioned teamwork.

DRE Fei

Skel said:

I'm not a huge fan of that map, but I usually run with UMP and Spas/M1014 secondary on it.

Terrible experience last night, Matchmaking kept dropping my party members and we finally had to give up playing together. Then I had to play Search and Destroy for an hour and I hate that game type. Just want Team Deathmatch with the new levels.

Dresden

Sethos said:
Am I the only one who'd love a sort of "Vanilla" game-mode?

No perks, no kill / death-streaks, no nothing just players, their weapons and some good ole' fashioned teamwork.
Dunno why you think removing perks and killstreaks will somehow foster teamwork.

Man I'm so hyped for tonight. After a long day in college I'm going to play this sucker for hours. I'm level 15 at the moment, I hope to be around the 40 mark before I finish tonight. Maybe slightly less if I decide to play in a way that doesn't get me the greatest amount of XP.

Double XP is always so much fun <3

Good times playing the COD4 maps, I hope they bring back more in the next packs like crossfire, broadcast, district, and strike. The new maps are sweet, but godamn I still cant stand sabotage after being forced to play that mode a few times yesterday. Cant wait to start playing these maps in TDM.

Lionheart1827 said:
Good times playing the COD4 maps, I hope they bring back more in the next packs like crossfire, broadcast, district, and strike. The new maps are sweet, but godamn I still cant stand sabotage after being forced to play that mode a few times yesterday. Cant wait to start playing these maps in TDM.

I managed to completely avoid Sabotage last night. I couldn't believe my luck :lol

divisionbyzorro said:
I managed to completely avoid Sabotage last night. I couldn't believe my luck :lol

You're lucky. I dont know what was going on last night, but it seemed like whenever salvage came up, it was domination. Storm comes up its always search and destroy, crash comes up, HQ PRO, bailout comes up its capture the flag. I couldn't believe it, same mode on the maps every time. I got like one team death match map luckily on overgrown.

jedimike

I played a lot of the Hardcore stimulus last night and there are only three modes... S&D, TDM, & Headquarters. It's all ricochet.

That may work better for those of you that want more of a TDM experience.

All the maps are pretty awesome. I thought I wasn't going to like salvage since it was designed for run n' gun, but it works great for patient players as well. Lots of choke points to place claymores.

Magik said:
Having no lunge on commando would defeat the purpose of having commando at all.

aku:jiki

I've spent some time with the new maps today. I like all of them! I'm usually a Mosh Pit player so I don't mind the mixed playlist at all.

Bailout is pretty hard to get a good grasp of but it's fun to explore and so far it feels like most of the spots I've been camped from have a counter-spot.
Salvage rocks. Like someone just posted, it's great for run and gun but you can really kick ass defensively too. It's the map I've done the best on so far, using both styles.
Crash and Overgrown both work great in MW2, but Overgrown is a little Derail-like in that you can end up searching for the action for 30 seconds and then get shot in the back.

Storm is the one I don't really like that much. I don't hate it yet, but it feels like a mix between Scrapyard and Derail which is a horrible combo to me. It's pretty big and if your team gets the shitty spawn, it takes ages to get back to the objective, but at the same time there's a billion outlook spots everywhere so you're always getting shot at from all angles. Also lots of places with no cover but many places to get shot from... I guess I take it back; I like all maps but Storm.

everybody in the thread said:
tdm please.
It feels like you people are talking about a different game or something. With the spawn system MW2 has, TDM is easily the most annoying mode in the game... Random, lots of back-spawning and lots of spending 20 seconds just trying to find where the action is. So boring.

aku:jiki said:
It feels like you people are talking about a different game or something. With the spawn system MW2 has, TDM is easily the most annoying mode in the game... Random, lots of back-spawning and lots of spending 20 seconds just trying to find where the action is. So boring.

This. A thousand times this.

Without an objective to direct the flow of traffic, the worst aspects of this game come to the forefront. I'll play a round or two as a palate cleanser, but I can't imagine playing an entire session of nothing but TDM.

Top Bottom