• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

ZZMitch

Strider2K99 said:
How do you now discover that? It's one of the default classes, First Recon. :p

UMP w/ Holo, .44 Magnum with Tac Knife, Marathon/Lightweight/Ninja
Well I dont think I ever used that class except for Tac Knife :p

When I first started playing, in order to keep my k/d around 1.2 I refused to used anything without stopping power.

But now that I have gotten a lot better I have beem branching out more.

Heading out tonight so I might get a chance to play MW2 again for a bit, I wonder if my cousin has the map pack or not.

If you see anyone going pistols only and tea bagging, it's me :lol

aku:jiki

divisionbyzorro said:
Whenever I get flashed, I always bitch about how the flash grenade also stun you. They shouldn't flash and stun. What's the point of stun grenades then?
Exactly right - add on the fact that stuns hardly stun the player at all and it's pretty fucking retarded actually. I really don't understand why they didn't divide them like their names imply.

kaizoku said:
when you're flashed you get disoriented but I'm pretty sure you can still move pretty fast.
No, a flash also stuns you. Which is retarded.

zam

aku:jiki said:
Exactly right - add on the fact that stuns hardly stun the player at all and it's pretty fucking retarded actually. I really don't understand why they didn't divide them like their names imply.

Also the fact that you can't look away from the flash and avoid getting flashed is stupid. If I'm not looking at the flash how does it blind me. Should be stun grenades stun and disorient a bit even if you aren't looking at it, but the flash blinds longer but the payoff is if they aren't looking at it they don't get blinded. As it is there is no risk vs reward for using the one with the longer stun/blind duration.

zam said:
Also the fact that you can't look away from the flash and avoid getting flashed is stupid. If I'm not looking at the flash how does it blind me. Should be stun grenades stun and disorient a bit even if you aren't looking at it, but the flash blinds longer but the payoff is if they aren't looking at it they don't get blinded. As it is there is no risk vs reward for using the one with the longer stun/blind duration.
Yes! Even more retarded is that your own flash is ultra-powerful against you, and can flash you even if it lands around a corner. Really hate that shit. :(

Dresden

Red Blaster said:
Don't stun grenades do a sliver of damage to anyone they hit? I've gotten like 15 kills that way.
They all do, I think. That's how you finish off last standers with flashbangs.

Dresden said:
They all do, I think. That's how you finish off last standers with flashbangs.
Yeah, I thought the only one that didn't was the smoke but I tossed one at a last stander earlier today and it killed him too.

Dresden

Yeah, I thought the only one that didn't was the smoke but I tossed one at a last stander earlier today and it killed him too.
That sounds just like you hit him directly with the grenade, tbh.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be

if you think a flash stuns you the same way a stun does....you're wrong! maybe you havent been stunned in awhile, but when I get stunned I can't rotate my gun much or move. you move in slow motion rendered vulnerable to anyone who isnt in your line of fire.

flashes blind and disorient you (with sound as well as light) and if you go crazy when in this state you'll find yourself in a very different position to when you started. you can walk across a whole room while flashed. completely the opposite of stun!

stuns are good for throwing in a door while your friends go through the other way or if you creep up on some guys or if you're chasing and throw it ahead of them, they wont turn to get you.

quadrax1s

Neo Member
I have to use flash grenades because for some reason I always manage to flash myself... if I used stun grenades it would not bode well for me :lol

Dresden said:
That sounds just like you hit him directly with the grenade, tbh.
I thought so too when I threw it, but I didn't get a hit marker. Actually, maybe he just committed suicide...

kaizoku said:
if you think a flash stuns you the same way a stun does....you're wrong!
No, a flash stuns you like a stun would. That's the whole point we're trying to make here - it's really stupid!

kaizoku

quadrax1s said:
I have to use flash grenades because for some reason I always manage to flash myself... if I used stun grenades it would not bode well for me :lol

I'm the same, but switching to stun grenades helped.

jiien

No, a flash stuns you like a stun would. That's the whole point we're trying to make here - it's really stupid!

I echo this. A flash does slow you down, make you turn slowly, and adds pseudo-lag to your screen, so your reaction time is virtually made slower. I don't remember if it does so to the degree that a stun does, but the fact that it does anything more than just blinding you is dumb.

kaizoku

jiien said:
I echo this. A flash does slow you down, make you turn slowly, and adds pseudo-lag to your screen, so your reaction time is virtually made slower. I don't remember if it does so to the degree that a stun does, but the fact that it does anything more than just blinding you is dumb.

it disorients you so that it looks like you're moving slowly or whatever, but in reality what you see on screen is irrelevent to what you guy is actually doing, thats why when you recover you can be in a completely different place to where you thought you were.

which makes it infinitely more useful and 'realistic' than being blinded by white light for awhile, whilst also leaving you slightly dangerous as you can still thrash about

jiien

kaizoku said:
it disorients you so that it looks like you're moving slowly or whatever, but in reality what you see on screen is irrelevent to what you guy is actually doing, thats why when you recover you can be in a completely different place to where you thought you were.

which makes it infinitely more useful and 'realistic' than being blinded by white light for awhile, whilst also leaving you slightly dangerous as you can still thrash about

That's exactly what I'm saying. It introduces a sort of pseudo-lag that presents you with different information than what's really going on, but the problem everyone here is discussing is not whether it does this (because we know it does), but the fact that it does that at all. Flashes should be better differentiated from stuns, but as it is, they barely (if at all) are, because flashes not only blind the victim, but introduce many or most of the effects of stuns at the same time.

Annnnyway, I also agree that it's stupid that flashes stun/blind you as an area of effect, not even with direct line of sight. How can it blind me if I'm looking at a wall or a box?

Edit: Wait, you're saying that they don't slow your character down at all, but simply make it look like you're slowed down? Because I've been partially flashed before where the blindness is very short, but the slowness lasts longer, and I'm definitely just slower. After the 'stun' part wears off, it's not like I suddenly realize that I'm several paces away and my viewpoint warps to where I actually was (versus what I saw on screen). And the reason it seems you're in a different spot than you thought you were is simply because you were blinded...?

kaizoku

stun = you kinda know where your enemy is but you can't physically stop them from killing you. i.e. he's behind me but I cant turn around

flash = I can't see shit but maybe if I shoot randomly and whirl around I will be ok.

when flashed you can shoot, reload, crouch, turn around, place claymores, throw grenades and so on at relatively normal speeds. with stun, you can pretty much only shoot in the direction you were facing.

I personally find these to be important distinctions.

Dresden

Personally, I think IW should patch in teleportation grenades. Hit 'em and they get popped to a random location on the map.

jiien

kaizoku said:
stun = you kinda know where your enemy is but you can't physically stop them from killing you. i.e. he's behind me but I cant turn around

flash = I can't see shit but maybe if I shoot randomly and whirl around I will be ok.

when flashed you can shoot, reload, crouch, turn around, place claymores, throw grenades and so on at relatively normal speeds. with stun, you can pretty much only shoot in the direction you were facing.

I personally find these to be important distinctions.

I would agree that these were important distinctions, if I thought that the stun given by flashes still let you move at 'relatively normal' speeds. Which I don't feel they do.

Anyway, I guess this bears more testing, if we really care that much. I rarely run into stuns, and I think I've actually only been stunned once or twice in my 10 days or playtime or so. I see them explode not very far from me all the time, and not affect me though. Because stuns seem to have a smaller area of effect than flashes do, and since the community at large perceives flashes to give most of the same effects of stuns plus more, everyone uses them over stuns.

Insaniac

only on several occasions do i use the stun as a way to approach my enemy. I mostly use it to A) slow enemy movement if I'm capturing or retreating to a position where i can ambush them
B) check a room for enemy contacts

kaizoku

jiien said:
I would agree that these were important distinctions, if I thought that the stun given by flashes still let you move at 'relatively normal' speeds. Which I don't feel they do.

Anyway, I guess this bears more testing, if we really care that much. I rarely run into stuns, and I think I've actually only been stunned once or twice in my 10 days or playtime or so. I see them explode not very far from me all the time, and not affect me though. Because stuns seem to have a smaller area of effect than flashes do, and since the community at large perceives flashes to give most of the same effects of stuns plus more, everyone uses them over stuns.

yeh I was trying to think of examples where stun would be more useful and most of them involve team work or creeping up behind people, but then spraying with your gun might be just as effective.

I deal with flashes much more efficiently than stuns. I see a lot of people get flashed then waltz right into my sights. So when I get flashed I immediately go prone or crouch and plant a claymore and throw a grenade of my own no matter where I am. If you try to go behind cover chances are you're walking away from it.

When I get stunned I don't have any options other than hope an enemy crosses my line of fire. One time I was stunned from behind and I was out in the open, tried to turn and it was impossible. Literally slow motion. Also when you see people stunned, they move real slow, whereas people flashed just look confused and dazed.

if it was just blindness, I would never get killed by flashes. If I retained full control I would go into cover or run in the opposite direction, even blind I'd probably do a decent job given how much I play the game.

Best use of stun? if there's a standoff down some kind of corridor, and one guy flanks behind the enemy, if you stun the enemy he can kill them all with ease cos they won't be able to move. if not, he might get a few before someone whips round and gets him.

Dresden said:
Personally, I think IW should patch in teleportation grenades. Hit 'em and they get popped to a random location on the map.
I'd add some grenades from Worms series, like all the shrapnel ones and some holy hand grenades as kill streak rewards

PetriP-TNT said:
I'd add some grenades from Worms series, like all the shrapnel ones and some holy hand grenades as kill streak rewards

How about EMP grenades? Special grenades that cause a localized EMP effect. Those would be awesome!

Mileena

Banned
divisionbyzorro said:
How about EMP grenades? Special grenades that cause a localized EMP effect. Those would be awesome!
That's a terrible idea and you should feel terrible. As if we need more unbalanced shit in this game.

kaizoku

so I have about 20 games where my K/D ratio is over 5 and usually 10 i.e. 22-1 or 17-3. Thats my average. I'm just kicking ass, regularly in the top few players for score and getting the highest KD ratio with ease. I don't leave the lobby or anything.

all of a sudden I'm getting destroyed 13-40. Nothing I do works. Just don't get this game sometimes.

Got put into a 4v4 TDM on Terminal and matchmaking never tried to fill in the empty slots. Maybe this is common but this is the first time I've ever noticed it. Maybe because of how much better Terminal plays with a 4v4 match up. It changes the way the map is played. It was shocking how much better it was. Immediately afterward we got put back into a full sized lobby and got put right back into Terminal (after some fucking morons voted out Bailout) and it was pretty terrible. I used to like Terminal though accepted it was completely random. 4v4 on it was just perfect though and it's hard as hell going back. Wonder if I'll ever get to play that again.

Tamanon

Banned
Man, I forgot how low scores generally are on just MTDM Derail. Every game I've been in has been 2700 or so to a lesser amount. It takes forever to traverse, and there are so many directions folks can go. With so few people playing you're lucky if you even have a few encounters.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
I'm about 10 claymore destructions away from SitRep Pro. Hell to the yes.

I will never prestige again.

strikeselect

Finally got Sitrep Pro. Wow, 120 equipment destroyed for this? Not worth it at all. I still can't listen to Ninja footsteps and the increase in sound of regular footsteps isn't really that big.

Going right back to Ninja.

Jrmint

Cerrius said:
Finally got Sitrep Pro. Wow, 120 equipment destroyed for this? Not worth it at all. I still can't listen to Ninja footsteps and the increase in sound of regular footsteps isn't really that big.

Do you use surround sound headphones? I can't really hear footsteps with my normal speakers, but with the headphones I hear them clear as day.

I'm not sure I've seen 120 claymores/C4 to even shoot at in my three prestiges to even make it worthwhile. Good reason to keep going I guess.

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
kaizoku said:
so I have about 20 games where my K/D ratio is over 5 and usually 10 i.e. 22-1 or 17-3. Thats my average. I'm just kicking ass, regularly in the top few players for score and getting the highest KD ratio with ease. I don't leave the lobby or anything.

all of a sudden I'm getting destroyed 13-40. Nothing I do works. Just don't get this game sometimes.

I'm the same way! A couple of weeks ago I was averaging 25-30 kills with 2-5 deaths and now I'm going 3-5 kills and like 30 deaths.

I've decided I'm going to get to level 70 then trade the game in as I've had my fill of multiplayer for the next couple of years.

Linkhero1

This is the biggest bullshit ever. I was playing earlier and trying to join a game of demolition and it ends up adding me to a losing team after the entire match was over.........

Linkhero1 said:
This is the biggest bullshit ever. I was playing earlier and trying to join a game of demolition and it ends up adding me to a losing team after the entire match was over.........

This is a first for you? :lol

EDIT - Probably happened to me 10 times by now.

yoopoo

Banned
I got Sitrep Pro too...I can hear the footsteps but can't really tell what direction they're coming form.

Any decent cheap tv headphones worth buying?

Linkhero1

zero margin said:
This is a first for you? :lol

EDIT - Probably happened to me 10 times by now.
No I've this happen quite a few times but not after the whole match was over. Probably like 30 seconds left in the game but still this is bullshit.

Linkhero1 said:
No I've this happen quite a few times but not after the whole match was over. Probably like 30 seconds left in the game but still this is bullshit.

Yeah that's what I meant, I have 11 days played though of basically only joining random games so I can't complain. Losses make no difference anyway.

I'd rather get put in after the game ends than one with like a couple minutes left or something. I hate getting put into a game that's mostly over but not really.

I could see if you're someone who really cares about your win/loss record, but unless you play exclusively 1 on 1 cage matches, it's a pretty meaningless number. Certainly not something a sane individual would care about. :lol

Najaf

Cerrius said:

Oh, so only 630 more for the emblem then? *rolls eyes* Whoever came up with the numbers for Sitrep unlocks needs a good smack across the face.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
You guys having major glitch problems? I'm on a PS3 and just downloaded the system upgrade. Then I was trying to play MW2 and out of 8 games I tried, 6 of them hit me with a server timeout, the game just glitching out of itself, trying to switch servers, booting me, etc. Is this just me or has everyone else gotten this bad? I know it's always glitched but never that badly.

strikeselect

Skel said:
Do you use surround sound headphones? I can't really hear footsteps with my normal speakers, but with the headphones I hear them clear as day.

I use a 2.1 Logitech sound system. Nothing fancy but the speakers work quite well and the bass is boomin'.

I gotta say after spending some more time with Sitrep Pro, my opinion on it has changed quite a bit for the better. At first I found it hard to adjust because when I heard footsteps I confused them for teammates when they were actually enemies. With Sitrep Pro, teammates' footsteps are actually much quieter so whenever you hear footsteps with Sitrep Pro it's almost always an enemy.

I went on an absolute tear with it just now because once I got adjusted to how Sitrep handles the footstep sounds I could easily tell when an enemy was near my vicinity. For example, I was tactically waiting (aka camping) on the second floor of one of the buildings on Overgrown and everytime someone came running to the building I could hear their footsteps as they traversed the grass on the outside, that was my warning. Once they got into the building their footstep sounds against the floor were even LOUDER. I would wait for them around the corner and shoot them before they even know what hit them. :lol

I really put on some dominating performances because of Sitrep Pro tonight. Very surprising.

It amazes me that I'm still discovering new ways to play this game after investing 200+ gameplay hours since release.

Dresden

Sitrep is pretty damn nice in a map like Skidrow or Bailout, where people lay down fifty claymores in every hallway.

It's also awesome for actually tracking down campers, since they show up through walls. Amazing perk.

Najaf

Dresden said:
Sitrep is pretty damn nice in a map like Skidrow or Bailout, where people lay down fifty claymores in every hallway.

It's also awesome for actually tracking down campers, since they show up through walls. Amazing perk.

Oh, absolutely. I love Sitrep. It just boggles my mind, the numbers they put in for unlocks. When I play HC with my regulars, one of us always runs with it and simply announces to the team where the claymores are.

vhfive

Skel said:
I just won some turtle beach headphones at PAX East (beat a "pro" at Halo 3 lol) and I have to say that they're awesome. I have never played with surround sound before and it definitely makes a difference. Especially in hardcore where you don't have a radar

Top Bottom