• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Najaf

vhfive said:
I just won some surround sound headphones at PAX East (beat a "pro" at Halo 3 lol) and I have to say that they're awesome. I have never played with surround sound before and it definitely makes a difference. Especially in hardcore where you don't have a radar

I have no doubt that you are hearing a difference, so don't take what I say to be a challenge of that. I just wanted to take this opportunity to dispel some common myths about surround phones. Multi-speaker surround headphones are not necessary for deciphering directional audio cues. The human brain processes sound in stereo (two ears). Thus, any set of earbuds has the ability to create that effect so long as the source is being processed through a surround sound decoder. The problem with multi-speakered phones is that the size of the speaker must be reduced to make them fit. This results in lower speaker range and in most cases, lower quality sound.

Anyone considering 'surround sound' phones should be aware of this. It is widely accepted in the audiophile community that a set of quality stereo phones running off a decoder are far superior in both sound quality and in creating directional audio than multi-speakered phones such as the Tritton AX Pro.

Also, it should be known that a majority of 'surround' phones are actually stereo. (meaning one speaker per ear) They simply include a surround decoder in the package. This is the case with the highly popular Turtle Beach x41's.

I can't believe people think they are good using mlc, you can knife people through walls and from about ten feet away. Then using the ump, some how I doubt anyone is serious on that combo. That's the preschool loadout, any noob can wreak with it. Now MLS with 50cal acog and mag nonakimbo or tac is a beast loadout.

Tears For Fears said:
I can't believe people think they are good using mlc, you can knife people through walls and from about ten feet away. Then using the ump, some how I doubt anyone is serious on that combo. That's the preschool loadout, any noob can wreak with it. Now MLS with 50cal acog and mag nonakimbo or tac is a beast loadout.

Sir! Do you propose no one gives you a proper game? I will do my best.

AZe Spade is me

Ballistik

vhfive said:
I just won some turtle beach headphones at PAX East (beat a "pro" at Halo 3 lol) and I have to say that they're awesome. I have never played with surround sound before and it definitely makes a difference. Especially in hardcore where you don't have a radar
Hey, I have these. Does the little battery cover on the left side also fall off easily on yours? Pretty annoying. One thing I noticed when I use these is that the game audio voices are really low. I can't hear anything besides explosions and my gun shooting when I play ground war. Have you noticed this too?

Wings has put up some new live TDM videos which are helpful for average players like me to see routes/choke points. In one of them he claims the pavelow glitch is fixed and now they do contribute to killstreaks, anyone else confirm?

Gotta hate heartbeat sensors and claymores, specially in search and destroy. If you use sitrep someone is going to spot you with the heartbeat sensor and if you use ninja a claymore is going to blow your ass.

Whose idea was to include the heartbeat sensor? stupid IW

I use Ninja in S+D and hardly ever get blown up by claymores these days. I've got good at predicting where they'll be - it's only the really random ones that get me.

Honestly, it amazes me there's people who still don't use Ninja. You just have to watch teammates/killcams to see how much people rely on them; they're usually not expecting you if you're not a little red blip on their radar.

Ducks

celestial body said:
Wings has put up some new live TDM videos which are helpful for average players like me to see routes/choke points. In one of them he claims the pavelow glitch is fixed and now they do contribute to killstreaks, anyone else confirm?
I heard it works towards your killstreak now, but only if you had no deaths when calling it in. This video claims to show this, but I don't really want to watch the full thing :p

I found those videos really helpful also

EDIT: I watched the video and it did count for the killstreak.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I use Ninja in S+D and hardly ever get blown up by claymores these days. I've got good at predicting where they'll be - it's only the really random ones that get me.

Honestly, it amazes me there's people who still don't use Ninja. You just have to watch teammates/killcams to see how much people rely on them; they're usually not expecting you if you're not a little red blip on their radar.

Yeah but that's one perk slot wasted because of some stupid-ass attachment.

BTW, has anyone noticed how ridiculous the range is of the shotgun attachment? I put stopping power with it and demolish in hardcore SD

salva said:
Yeah but that's one perk slot wasted because of some stupid-ass attachment.

It's hard to call it wasted when it's arguably the best perk in the yellow tier. Nearly silent footsteps is HUGE in this game.

Hahahaha, got another nuke by stealing someones LMG, this time it was MG4 with heartbeat sensor :lol And again on a map I hate, Quarry.

Brian Fellows said:
I just did something that I had never done before. I accidentally shot down my own pavelow with with a predator. DERP!

Ive done something worse!

I had a Harrier up and a AC130 up, I was pretty much peppering the ground the the weakest gun and my harrier got in the way. In a moment of stupidy I decided to blow up my own Harrier to get to the enemy. I dont know what made me do it, I like to think I just forgot the harrier was mine for a split second. :lol

cdyhybrid what mode have you been playing? I pretty much only play Domination because the spawns arent so bad in that.

bobs99 ... said:
cdyhybrid what mode have you been playing? I pretty much only play Domination because the spawns arent so bad in that.

Domination is where it seems like the spawns are the worst. It's so easy to spawn trap if your team isn't completely clueless and caps all 3 points. Trapping the other team at A on Terminal is basically a guaranteed victory. Having only C on Favela or Karachi is an awful position to be in. AC130 or Chopper Gunner + Danger Close on Salvage? Capture B and C and rain fiery hell down upon the enemy at A. Cold Blooded will do nothing to save them.

The only other time I constantly encounter crappy spawns is in Free For All on small maps, but in those situations I find it pretty hard to fault the game most of the time. For all the shit the spawn system gets it's not that bad 90% of the time.

MrDaravon

I'm unexpectedly off today, do we know when the double xp is ending today? I had some people tell me that in CoD 4 when Double XP was supposed to end, it'd always wind up ending really late like on Wednesdays.

Patrick Bateman said:
I hate Quarry and Karachi. I skip them almost everytime they pop up.

So you're the fucker who keeps voting to skip Quarry and getting us all stuck on Wasteland :lol

Quarry is one of my favorite maps though it's not great for Free For All and is hell on Domination when you spawn at A.

foomfoom415 said:
So you're the fucker who keeps voting to skip Quarry and getting us all stuck on Wasteland :lol

Quarry is one of my favorite maps though it's not great for Free For All and is hell on Domination when you spawn at A.

Are you kidding? Quarry is one of the most balanced Domination maps. It might feel like Alpha is harder to move out from, but in my experience there isn't an appreciable advantage to starting on either side.

Now, if you want to talk about Skidrow, I'm listening.

foomfoom415 said:
I just hate running up that hill. Especially when you're facing a team with half a clue. Once you've got C it seems like such a breeze.

You only need to hold Alpha and Bravo. Both sides have good approaches to Bravo and neither side is more or less vulnerable to a backside attack.

aku:jiki

foomfoom415 said:
Domination is where it seems like the spawns are the worst. It's so easy to spawn trap if your team isn't completely clueless and caps all 3 points.
Dude, that's the point! It's called Domination.

foomfoom415 said:
I just hate running up that hill. Especially when you're facing a team with half a clue. Once you've got C it seems like such a breeze.
So don't go up the hills. Climb the rocks instead - there are little "staircases" in the rocks in all the good places.

divisionbyzorro said:
You only need to hold Alpha and Bravo. Both sides have good approaches to Bravo and neither side is more or less vulnerable to a backside attack.

I just find it so much easier to hold C and B than A and B.
B always seems to go back and forth, but whoever is at C seems to come out on top more often than not.

aku:jiki said:
Dude, that's the point! It's called Domination.

As long as you aren't losing by a huge margin though, it's much easier to hold 2 points than 3. Once you cap the 3rd point the enemy starts spawning randomly, rather in a tight, neatly controlled area.

Granted I'm plenty guilty of capping that 3rd point sometimes if I happen to be nearby it without an enemy in sight. But I'd never go out of my way to cap it unless we needed it to win.

So don't go up the hills. Climb the rocks instead - there are little "staircases" in the rocks in all the good places.

Pfft. Rocks are just hills you have to constantly jump up. :lol

So lately my regular crew has been convincing me to play Sabotage with them, and I've gotta say - it is actually kinda fun when you're playing with friends with good communication. Now my main complaint is that the game, by it's very nature, is not balanced. The sides never switch, so some maps suffer from balance issues. But overall, I don't hate it any more - I'll just never play it with pubbie scrubs.

cdyhybrid

bobs99 ... said:

Ground War and regular Team Deathmatch. Seems equally bad in both. I've been spawned near C when their entire team is at C, their only held point is C, and my team holding A and B. It really boggles my mind trying to figure out how that's possible.

illeaturfamily

Neo Member
vhfive said:
I just won some turtle beach headphones at PAX East (beat a "pro" at Halo 3 lol) and I have to say that they're awesome. I have never played with surround sound before and it definitely makes a difference. Especially in hardcore where you don't have a radar

Agreed. It takes me back to my CS fanboy days, but a decent pair of headphones can be extremely helpful IMHO

cdyhybrid said:
Ground War and regular Team Deathmatch. Seems equally bad in both. I've been spawned near C when their entire team is at C, their only held point is C, and my team holding A and B. It really boggles my mind trying to figure out how that's possible.
Then you died and spawned back at A and B, right? That happens to me all the time, and I seriously believe they coded the spawn system to give you a shot at a freebie cap once in a while (even when your team certainly doesn't need it)...which is almost as much bullshit as it spawning you in perfect range for a revenge kill.

We've been over it a million times, but damn, how could they think that this spawn system was any sort of good idea? Nobody wants to have their victories handed to them!

People ruin this game... Was having an awesome time for hours without having to search for a new game and then all of a sudden the room is filled with douchebags using RPGs and toobs all at once... So annoying

LosDaddie

Banned
Loving the new maps. I think I played about 6hrs worth this weeked. My only complaint was being matched against much-higher ranked people.

Then you died and spawned back at A and B, right? That happens to me all the time, and I seriously believe they coded the spawn system to give you a shot at a freebie cap once in a while (even when your team certainly doesn't need it)...which is almost as much bullshit as it spawning you in perfect range for a revenge kill.

We've been over it a million times, but damn, how could they think that this spawn system was any sort of good idea? Nobody wants to have their victories handed to them!

Being successful at Domination is all about manipulating the spawn system to your advantage (i.e., spawn trapping). You learn a lot about how to handle the spawns in this game if you play a lot of Domination :lol

divisionbyzorro said:
Being successful at Domination is all about manipulating the spawn system to your advantage (i.e., spawn trapping). You learn a lot about how to handle the spawns in this game if you play a lot of Domination :lol
If I didn't play so much with randoms, I'd probably agree... As it stands, there's no point in me bothering because there's always that guy that gets too greedy for kills and goes too far into their spawn and thus moves it. :(

I nearly just shat myself because I was on Skidrow, on the inside bit that links the two spawn points, I hear a big explosion nearby and this body falls through the hole in the ceiling and lands right in front of me. :lol

zam

The constant UAV hack is getting real annoying. Just played a match in which whenever I was sneaking up behind an enemy or coming around a corner to flank, enemies would instantly turn around and know exactly where I was standing and shoot me. Even watching the killcam it's either someone looking in one direction all the time, then instantly turning around and shooting me right as I was coming up behind them, or they would be running in one direction and then instantly turn around and shoot me and then continue on the direction they were going.

(And yes I was using cold-blooded pro and ninja pro and none of them had sit-rep pro)

zam said:
The constant UAV hack is getting real annoying. Just played a match in which whenever I was sneaking up behind an enemy or coming around a corner to flank, enemies would instantly turn around and know exactly where I was standing and shoot me. Even watching the killcam it's either someone looking in one direction all the time, then instantly turning around and shooting me right as I was coming up behind them, or they would be running in one direction and then instantly turn around and shoot me and then continue on the direction they were going.

(And yes I was using cold-blooded pro and ninja pro and none of them had sit-rep pro)
I played mw2 online last night with my cousin on his 360, when I watch the killcams to see how I died he would point out stuff and it's quite amazing how many people can track you blindly through a wall, either they play way too much to know hiding spots or can see locations via the map and guess with pot shots to get a kill, also he said someone had a gun laser sight which is from single player and not suppose to be in multi, dunno about that one.

Dresden

Diablohead said:
I played mw2 online last night with my cousin on his 360, when I watch the killcams to see how I died he would point out stuff and it's quite amazing how many people can track you blindly through a wall, either they play way too much to know hiding spots or can see locations via the map and guess with pot shots to get a kill, also he said someone had a gun laser sight which is from single player and not suppose to be in multi, dunno about that one.
Most of time, it's just footsteps.

And some guns have different sights. See: TAR/F2000 w/ MARS sights instead of Red Dot; L86 with SUSAT instead of ACOG, etc, etc.

Hacks aren't as prevalent as you guys think. Don't blame the game, blame lag... or yourself.

jedimike

vhfive said:

Congrats on the win! I have the X41's and <3 them. I have 5.1 through my receiver, but I prefer to use the headphones. I can always hear where enemies are at and rarely get flanked. It has definitely improved my game. Watch out though because Ninja players will get you.

The only problem I have is how IW implemented the brush sounds. Whenever I happen to be going through tall grass or brush, it always sounds like an enemy is following me. Drives me crazy.

By the way, I'm curious about something. I joined a TDM on Storm yesterday, and my entire team started the game by spawning off the map. We jumped down a little embankment into the map to start the match. Is this how TDM on Storm always goes?

Miggytronz

divisionbyzorro said:
By the way, I'm curious about something. I joined a TDM on Storm yesterday, and my entire team started the game by spawning off the map. We jumped down a little embankment into the map to start the match. Is this how TDM on Storm always goes?

yes, right next to the Water Tower building. yes.

I am sure that most of you have noticed that the autoaim can reveal people hiding behind desks/walls/etc. If you aren't touching anything the autoaim usually turns you towards enemies that are hiding, even if you are not aiming at them at all.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
how does racking up points with the riot shield work? I find myself taking shitloads of bullets and points appearing for assists or being a good distraction, but don't really understand how it all works.

I've been having a blast with it lately! haven't got the hang of using the throwing knife or my secondary with it though.

otakuderek

I'm looking for more people to play online with on PS3. Anyone want to play tonight around 11pm EST? Please add me! PSN: VendettaXXI

Miggytronz

Ok XLC or X11 Turtle Beaches?

Only reason im getting a set is because my newborn is coming here in a few weeks and i dont want to startle her at night with my surround sound. Plus I game on weekends at a friends LAN studio. Also those two are the only ones within my budget. Im kinda set on getting the XLC's since theyre lightweight and do everything a x11 can do and its only $30.

zam

Dresden said:
Most of time, it's just footsteps.

And some guns have different sights. See: TAR/F2000 w/ MARS sights instead of Red Dot; L86 with SUSAT instead of ACOG, etc, etc.

Hacks aren't as prevalent as you guys think. Don't blame the game, blame lag... or yourself.
In my case it couldn't have been footsteps, and hacks are actually very prevalent in mw2 due to the ease of using jtagged consoles in matchmaking.

aku:jiki can attest to how telepathetic the players were in that game, there was no way they knew exactly where we were with a hack when they were looking in one direction for 5 minutes and then turning around and blasting you in the face when you tried sneaking up on the,.

jedimike

Mikasangelos said:
Ok XLC or X11 Turtle Beaches?

Only reason im getting a set is because my newborn is coming here in a few weeks and i dont want to startle her at night with my surround sound. Plus I game on weekends at a friends LAN studio. Also those two are the only ones within my budget. Im kinda set on getting the XLC's since theyre lightweight and do everything a x11 can do and its only $30.

There's a whole lot of people who are very passionate about headphones. Most of them do not like headsets dedicated to gaming. You're going to get a lot of opinions and they will probably all try to get you to purchase a non-gaming headset. IMO, the gaming headsets have improved a lot and are a good way to go if you're just going to use them for gaming.

If I was you, I'd try to get myself into a headset that does 5.1 through a decoder. Gamestores offer them, so you could trade-in games or whatever to get some extra credit.

If that really isn't an option, then buy the $30 set knowing that you will probably want to upgrade in the future. For FPS's, you need to have positional audio. I think it is a crucial part of the game.

Top Bottom