• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

went

28-4
27-0
31-5
21-2

earlier in Hardcore TDM was excited that I prestiged immediately without thinking and forgot that Col=Blooded doesn't unlock until level 25(level 11 in MW1). Getting my ass kicked now by kills streaks. Feel kinda bad when I get killed by UAV missiles and a team mate or three also die because I light up like a Christmas tree. Stingers also unlock a few levels after Cold blooded and the AT-4 just sucks at taking down harriers/heli's

jedimike

FortunateSon said:
Am I the only average player on GAf, most of you arescoring insance games, how do you guys get that good? Any tips?

I am not a twitch player either... the best advice I can give is to know the maps. You have to know where the choke points are, where the spawn points are, and where people typically camp.

I use the maps, perks, and weapons to fit my play style. I purposely avoid close quarters combat which means I have to use things to keep people away from me. Use scavenger and plant claymores to keep from getting flanked. I also use cold-blooded and silenced weapons to keep off people's radar. For the 3rd perk, I like to use sit rep to alert me of other people's "traps", but you could also equip ninja to counter heart beat sensors.

Be sneaky, stealthy, crafty, and even campy. Basically do the things that compliment your play style. Don't try to copy someone else's play style... it's just not going to work for you.

careful

FortunateSon said:
Am I the only average player on GAf, most of you arescoring insance games, how do you guys get that good? Any tips?

I've been getting murdered my last few matches today and in the past few days, I've just been off with everything.

Like I'm getting knifed, shot in the back, caught sneaking, caught flanking, can't even aim for shit, take ages, I get mad but sometimes I laugh it out to how shitty I'm doing.

For example, the last few games were all (10-9) (5-9) (4-7) (4-8) (11-9) etc... And I've been trending this since who knows when.

So all you guys getting really good scores. Would you kindly share some amazing tips?

And I swear some people just fucking randomly throw a fucking grenade anywhere and they get me. That is by far the most annoying shit ever.

And when you fucking shotgun someone head on, they survive and manage to fucking knife you.

RAGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

So I quit MW 2 for now.No guns are working for me, nothing. Goddamn, this is some stretch of horribleness.

I'm not a twitch-shooter, some of you have to be with all those damn scores. I'm more tactical and I try and play smart. That's how I do decent, I don't rely on quick aiming or twitching or else I would be failing.

Edit: I mean, how do you guys even keep getting those high killstreaks? In this stretch I'm in, I'm fucking glad/happy that I could even get a uav, otherwise, for me getting a uav lined up takes ages.
If you feel like you're being shot/stabbed from all sides, try putting a silencer on your gun and hug the outside of the maps. If you're gonna camp an area for a bit, claymore the exits to cover your back.

kaizoku said:
Seriously how the fuck does this even happen? I just don't understand how one guy can be so damn superior to everyone else in the room.

I can understand when his team mates help him destroy the other team, but when one guy is so far ahead of his own team.... I don't get it. You mustve been using the most annoying tactics in the history of mankind.

I'm convinced that dude is full of BS. The most kills I've ever seen from someone in TDM (I have over 10 days played) is 40 or 41.

Frillen

kaizoku said:
Seriously how the fuck does this even happen? I just don't understand how one guy can be so damn superior to everyone else in the room.

I can understand when his team mates help him destroy the other team, but when one guy is so far ahead of his own team.... I don't get it. You mustve been using the most annoying tactics in the history of mankind.

The game is still hit and miss for me. Depends what kinda gamers I get lumped with. What angers me most is I feel like I'm doing the same thing but I'll down a guy super fast one game and completely fail in the following game.

The amount of times I die due to fucked up aiming then checked my sensitivity settings to find it has automatically set itself to low are insanity inducing.

Othertimes I just suck and I don't understand why, does my head in.

Anytime I've sucked and been angry at the game it's never noobtubers or oma users. Never.

Knife runners have only ever raped me once and I've put about 8 days of playtime into this. When I get owned it's usually cos my reactions seem slower, accuracy lower and I'm positioning poorly, or I'm simply getting flanked from all angles.

This is why I'm not buying the dlc, was quite close to rage quitting the whole game but have recovered some form today.

Well I can try to sum up the 61-4 game:

1. I played with some REALLY bad guys. Every single one of them sucked really badly. The insane thing is that there were even couple of prestige guys. To get over 50 kills on a regular team deathmatch you not only have to face really bad people, but you also have to have really bad people on your own team. The second placed guy on my team had 5 kills.

2. I didn't even camp. You can't get 61 kills while camping. I ran around a lot with my Famas/Spas 12, while I picked down easily the ones who showed up.

3. It probably helped a tiny bit that I had 4 predator missiles, 3 harrier strikes and 3 pave lows. Only the one pave low got shot down :lol

zero margin said:
I'm convinced that dude is full of BS. The most kills I've ever seen from someone in TDM (I have over 10 days played) is 40 or 41.

Well that's the thing. It's not like it happens to me a lot. I've only gotten over 50 kills three times and I have over 31000 kills.

The best tips I can give to those who struggle to have a k/d above 1:

Know the maps. Learn where the enemies will show up.

Frillen said:
Well that's the thing. It's not like it happens to me a lot. I've only gotten over 50 kills three times and I have over 31000 kills.

I'm not saying it cant happen, never say never but this individual in particular is all I mean.

CheapChampagne

Neo Member
kaizoku said:

The game is still hit and miss for me. Depends what kinda gamers I get lumped with. What angers me most is I feel like I'm doing the same thing but I'll down a guy super fast one game and completely fail in the following game.

The amount of times I die due to fucked up aiming then checked my sensitivity settings to find it has automatically set itself to low are insanity inducing.

Othertimes I just suck and I don't understand why, does my head in.

Anytime I've sucked and been angry at the game it's never noobtubers or oma users. Never.

Knife runners have only ever raped me once and I've put about 8 days of playtime into this. When I get owned it's usually cos my reactions seem slower, accuracy lower and I'm positioning poorly, or I'm simply getting flanked from all angles.

This is why I'm not buying the dlc, was quite close to rage quitting the whole game but have recovered some form today.

Psh, just because you rape in a match doesn't necessarily mean you're using "annoying tactics". I've had a couple reg TDMs where I was at least 55 of the team's kills just because the rest of my teamates were terrible. And no, I am not a camper,knifer,oma tuber or even a reg tuber. I usually use acr silenced with spas grip. If the other team is terrible enough it's easy to go to town with 40+ kills. No need for unnecessary assumptions.

jiien

Mikey Jr. said:
Just hit level 70. Any reason why I cant prestige?

Go for it. If you actually plan to keep playing, it sure gets boring if you aren't working toward something.

Also, I assume this will be your first prestige, so you immediately get a new custom class. Custom class slots are awesome. DO IT.

ZeroRay

Mikey Jr. said:
Just hit level 70. Any reason why I cant prestige?

There's a secret lvl 71 that you'll have to reach before the game lets you prestige. Just press Triangle/Y when in the MP menu to see how much xp you need.

jiien

ZeroRay said:
There's a secret lvl 71 that you'll have to reach before the game lets you prestige. Just press Triangle/Y when in the MP menu to see how much xp you need.

Oh oh, that's what he meant. Yeah, sorry, what he said.

Tamanon

Banned
Man, getting the ACOG challenged knocked out for the intervention was a pain. No real zoom + bolt-action=better be right when you shoot. But the thermal with it makes it all worth it.

Picked up a PS3 and also MW2 for it. For some reason my first 10 levels I was always in rooms with fifth or sixth prestiges so it took a bit of time, but after hitting 10 and all up to 35 where I'm at now it matched me with similar folks. That was bizarre. Currently been leveling up with Intervention w/FMJ/Thermal, Akimbo PP90s(whatever the first machine pistol is), Bling/Hardline/Steady Aim. Been rather effective thus far, hopefully I'll finish off Bling pro soon so I can tack on Extended Mags to the machine pistol, I die so often because I have to reload.

Dresden

You're not going to see people post about average scores because what's the point? There's nothing interesting about me telling everyone about the match where I went 24-20, I'd much rather talk about the SnD match where I jump in when my team is down 0-2 and we win 4 in a row and I go 9-0. It's a combination of ego and a concern for brevity.*

*wut

Mikey Jr.

ZeroRay said:

Ohhh, bleh. This one seems like its going to take forever.

Sorry about that jiien.

Thanks zero.

Brought back an old nostalgia class tonight from COD4 and it works godly for me most of the time. Marathon, lightweight, commando, spas 12 only with grip (ump as primary with red dot). Seriously on just about all levels I can slay people with this. Levels that it doesnt work well on is afghan and wasteland. I went like 36-3 on terminal and 37-2 on overgrown.

It reminds me of the good ole days of 2007 with COD4 shotguns. :D

Lionheart1827 said:
Brought back an old nostalgia class tonight from COD4 and it works godly for me most of the time. Marathon, lightweight, commando, spas 12 only with grip (ump as primary with red dot). Seriously on just about all levels I can slay people with this. Levels that it doesnt work well on is afghan and wasteland. I went like 36-3 on terminal and 37-2 on overgrown.

No you fucking didn't. Send me an invite so I can see you slay like that.

Yes?

RJNavarrete said:
No you fucking didn't. Send me an invite so I can see you slay like that.

Yes?

To be honest I only broke 30 those two times with that class due to the chopper gunner ownage. I've been getting regular high teens, mid 20s with single digit deaths. Like I just went 18-5 on Karachi and 26-9 on sub base. Once you get that grip and you master that hipfire, most of the time it just destroys people. A lot of the time people will switch to danger close noobtubes and rpgs because of it. :lol

Loxley

Lionheart1827 said:

You managed to get scores like that with the shotguns in CoD4? Fucking bravo. I never thought I'd see someone reminisce about the CoD4 shotties with the words "the good ole days" :lol

Loxley said:
You managed to get scores like that with the shotguns in CoD4? Fucking bravo. I never thought I'd see someone reminisce about the CoD4 shotties with the words "the good ole days" :lol

Oh no no, I meant I loved switching to shotgun classes in COD4 like on vacant. :D

I never did as good as that in COD4. :lol

EDIT-Only the 2nd shottie. :D

careful

I remember this one shotgun player from COD4 who's strategy was to throw stun grenades then run at you with the shotty. He did pretty decent for a shotgun player.
I also remember playing against a dude named Stabby McStab, who was somehow stabbing fools left and right like it was 2010.. :lol Didn't see him yet in MW2, but dude must be tearing shit up with the teleport knife.

quadrax1s

Neo Member
Frillen said:
Got a new record again. 61 kills (61-4) on a regular team deathmatch on Rundown. That's 61/75 of my team's kills. :lol :lol
Aw man I was going to come in and brag about my 44-1-2 regular TDM record today in Wasteland but you totally outdid me :(

Dresden

Oh god, shotguns in COD4. I think the best strategy for shotgun builds, for me, was the pump shotty+triple frag+sonic boom+martyrdom. Chuck nades, charge in, get as many kills as possible before dying. Worked wonders in Vacant, although people hated me for it.

ZZMitch

I was getting a little board with this game... and then I discovered Marathon + Light Weight + Ninja + MP5K/UMP45 FMJ. :lol

So damn fast.

kuYuri

ZZMitch said:
I was getting a little board with this game... and then I discovered Marathon + Light Weight + Ninja + MP5K/UMP45 FMJ. :lol

So damn fast.

How do you now discover that? It's one of the default classes, First Recon. :p

UMP w/ Holo, .44 Magnum with Tac Knife, Marathon/Lightweight/Ninja

Scarecrow

Kinda of a slow poke question, but in last stand, do you always pull out the same handgun or is there a way to pick which one pops out?

Dresden

Strider2K99 said:
How do you now discover that? It's one of the default classes, First Recon. :p

UMP w/ Holo, .44 Magnum with Tac Knife, Marathon/Lightweight/Ninja
i run that for snd all the time, if its a open map like outskirts or favela. ump silenced, rpg, marathon pro, lightweight pro, ninja pro. flank and kill

OMGLOL A LLAMA

Neo Member
Dresden said:
i run that for snd all the time, if its a open map like outskirts or favela. ump silenced, rpg, marathon pro, lightweight pro, ninja pro. flank and kill

I'm a runner all the time but I can't stand lightweight. I don't see the benefit of it, it's like what, 8% speed increase? I hate being seen on the radar, especially when I'm last man standing. Is lightweight really all that good?

Dresden

OMGLOL A LLAMA said:
I'm a runner all the time but I can't stand lightweight. I don't see the benefit of it, it's like what, 8% speed increase? I hate being seen on the radar, especially when I'm last man standing. Is lightweight really all that good?
not really, but i just like the feeling of it. the difference isn't statistically significant, but you certainly feel faster

and in snd, lack of cold blooded isn't as big of a concern because most people suck and can't get uavs anyways. not like i play against good players, it's just random people who don't notice footsteps a feet away from them. i still keep ninja pro for HBS though

FortunateSon said:

I've been getting murdered my last few matches today and in the past few days, I've just been off with everything.

Like I'm getting knifed, shot in the back, caught sneaking, caught flanking, can't even aim for shit, take ages, I get mad but sometimes I laugh it out to how shitty I'm doing.

For example, the last few games were all (10-9) (5-9) (4-7) (4-8) (11-9) etc... And I've been trending this since who knows when.

So all you guys getting really good scores. Would you kindly share some amazing tips?

And I swear some people just fucking randomly throw a fucking grenade anywhere and they get me. That is by far the most annoying shit ever.

And when you fucking shotgun someone head on, they survive and manage to fucking knife you.

RAGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

So I quit MW 2 for now.No guns are working for me, nothing. Goddamn, this is some stretch of horribleness.

I'm not a twitch-shooter, some of you have to be with all those damn scores. I'm more tactical and I try and play smart. That's how I do decent, I don't rely on quick aiming or twitching or else I would be failing.

Edit: I mean, how do you guys even keep getting those high killstreaks? In this stretch I'm in, I'm fucking glad/happy that I could even get a uav, otherwise, for me getting a uav lined up takes ages.
Although I have my moments of greatness (I've gone 45-5 and such a few times) my average game isn't usually that amazing. I usually end up with a positive ratio these days, but my K/D ratio is still 0.85 and my longest killstreak is 21, so yeah. After over a year of not playing COD4 it's taken a long time for all my skills to come back to me, not to mention the learning curve of how to handle new killstreak rewards and perks.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Its mind boggling when anyone gets 50 or more kills. Because not only does that other team have to be pathetic the people on your team have to be 10x more pathetic. All they have to do is average 5 kills per person against and obviously terrible team and you couldn't get passed 50.

I've had 2 perfect games(24-0 and 22-0) in the last 24 hours but when I do that well the game always ends really quickly.

Is it it me or do you throw flashes/stuns quicker since the patch? comes in real handy that.

Oh and non ninja-pro/bad revenge killers in FFA are the best. After 5-6 goes taking different routes each time they must realise that i'm sounding whoring them. I was 'patrolling' the barracks in invasion and this kid must've come 6-7 times, each time my sights were lined straight in his face as he rounded a corner or climbed up the side ladders. I'm actually glad when I traverse half the map just to get a revenge kill and get shot, for me it's not a good way to play. the only time I think it makes sense is when you have dark corner campers but otherwise it will get you nowhere. But FFA is a little world in itself I suppose.

Just completed my weekend-goal ,to get Nuke #7. Picked up someones AUG HBAR and started raping people with it. I have always disliked LMG's but now I equiped AUG for my anti-air class!

And I even got the nuke on Favela :lol How come I get all my nukes on maps that I hate? (Afghan, Favela...)

aku:jiki

Since I'm 70 at 10th prestige, I'm going for unlocks for everything...again. I hate LMGs a little less now that I play them better (i.e. campy as fuck), but they still feel pretty inferior.

I think my favorite weapons are UMP45 (I'm very bored with it by now, but it gets me the kills), AK-47, TAR-21, Barrett, SPAS and basically anything akimbo (because it's just fun). I'm getting to the point where I'm slowly finalizing my 10 classes...let's list them for no reason!

- FAL w/ M1014 / Scavenger/Cold-Blooded/SitRep
- AK-47 w/ Akimbo Deagles | Marathon/Stopping Power/Commando
- UMP45 w/ SPAS-12 | Marathon/Lightweight/Commando
- AUG w/ AT4 | Scavenger/Danger Close/Commando
- Barrett w/ Akimbo Rafficas | Sleight of Hand/Stopping Power/Steady Aim
- Akimbo P90 w/ Akimbo M9 (usually Akimbo G18) | Marathon/Stopping Power/Steady Aim
- TAR-21 w/ noobtube | OMA/DC/SitRep (For when fuckers start doing it.)
- RPD w/ Stinger | Sleight of Hand/CB/Ninja
- Riot Shield w/ Akimbo Magnums + C4 | Scavenger/Danger Close/Last Stand
- TAR-21 w/ Javelin | Scavenger/DC/(whatever)

The Javelin kit is for kills, not air support. Hilarious weapon to use on the right maps. I have some handgun secondaries just for fun, they're not actually very effective for anything. All primaries are silenced, except the FAL which has Holo on.

Speaking of the FAL, wouldn't camping with it be a good way to complete the challenge for not wasting any bullets in a whole mag? Anyone have any other tips for those? I have no idea how I'm ever gonna land a full LMG mag without missing...

kaizoku said:

It's most likely luck with the spawns. Not to say that there's no skill involved, but being at the right place and in a good position to take some fools down can be pretty devastating for the other team.

celestial body said:
Is it it me or do you throw flashes/stuns quicker since the patch? comes in real handy that.
You probably haven't used stuns in a while... Those get pulled and thrown faster than flashes (to make up for the fact that they're absolutely useless, I guess). I use them as feelers, not so much for the actual stun.

Woo! Just turned over onto my 3rd prestige. Too bad the third prestige icon looks like ass...

I do hate using the AK-47 for just one level and then having to give it up right away though :(

The 10th Prestige icon doesn't look nearly as cool as the gold cross in COD4. Makes me not want to reach it, in a way, :lol

(I'm on lvl 50 on second prestige, so a fair way off ;))

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
just hit 71 on first prestige. to prestige again or not :/ I seem to get double xp as well on normal play lists despite not having bought the map pack so thats an incentive....when's double xp time run out?

kaizoku

Foliorum Viridum said:
Tomorrow. Not sure when exactly.

hmm...it took me a few hours to do 69-71...wonder how far that would get me from 0.

its gonna kill me if I never answer that question. guess I'm prestiging. reckon I can get to 30 before double xp runs out?

I seem to have rediscovered some form in past few days.

aku:jiki said:
You probably haven't used stuns in a while... Those get pulled and thrown faster than flashes (to make up for the fact that they're absolutely useless, I guess). I use them as feelers, not so much for the actual stun.

Whenever I get flashed, I always bitch about how the flash grenade also stun you. They shouldn't flash and stun. What's the point of stun grenades then?

kaizoku said:
hmm...it took me a few hours to do 69-71...wonder how far that would get me from 0.

its gonna kill me if I never answer that question. guess I'm prestiging. reckon I can get to 30 before double xp runs out?

I seem to have rediscovered some form in past few days.
I got to 33 from 0 in the first night of double XP. I made myself hit 70 the night before so I could find out how much was possible. :p

kaizoku

divisionbyzorro said:
Whenever I get flashed, I always bitch about how the flash grenade also stun you. They shouldn't flash and stun. What's the point of stun grenades then?

when you're flashed you get disoriented but I'm pretty sure you can still move pretty fast. Hence people get flashed and try to move behind cover but end up walking all over the place making them easier to kill or advance upon.

flashes are great for throwing into a room or heavily defended area, cos then you can advance without being seen or just watch the enemy stumble into the open, whereas stuns aren't so good. if a guy is aiming at a door and I stun him, he'll effectively be paralysed but still able to fire at the door. I'm still gonna get shot if I try to go in.

when I get flashed I crouch or go prone, trying to move is never a good idea. I might fire randomly if an enemy was nearby or I plant a claymore if I have one.

Top Bottom