• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Dresden

aku:jiki said:
UMP, Intervention and ACR say hi?

Speaking of the weapons, my flatmate and I watched Shooter yesterday and it's funny how they basically just copied the weapon loadout from that. Mark Wahlberg's two sniper rifles of choice are an Intervention and a Barrett - he uses both in the intro scene and they use the Intervention to frame him. :lol

Afterwards, we watched Zombieland which has ACR, UMP45, Models and M1014. MW2 is turning me into a gun nut. :lol
ACR is a perfectly serviceable weapon. You point it at things and they die. People make too much of a big deal over overall killspeed, when the difference between the ACR and the Tar in terms of killing speed is like a quarter of a second and it almost always comes down to who saw who first, anyways.

Although, since you brought up the UMP and the Intervention along with it, are you saying that the ACR is overpowered? If so, lol.

Loxley

I'll re-post this since it was the last post on the previous page :D

Robert Bowling just tweeted:

@fourzerotwo

The Modern Warfare 2 Stimulus Package DLC will hit PS3 in North America on May 4th, everywhere else May 5th. PC gets it worldwide on May 4th

- 3 minutes ago via CoTweet

Seanspeed

Banned
UMP, Intervention and ACR say hi?
I wouldn't say any of those guns are even close to dominant. The UMP is probably one of, if not the best submachine-gun, sure. And the ACR is quite decent, too. But dominant? Nope.

I actually see people mention the M4 the most when talking about dominant guns(or noob guns, if you like), and while I think its a really good gun, one of my favorites, its not my best(which is the ACR, but dont think that proves your theory!).

I think there's a level of 'really good' weapons that are better than some of the other guns in the game, but there's no ONE gun that really stands above the rest like the M16(CoD4) and MP40(WaW). You even listed 3 different guns, which already kinda shows there's no dominant gun. And that is the most important thing, because it means you have *choices* for what gun you want to use and not have to worry about going up against others with superior equipment. Having one gun better than the rest means everybody is kinda 'encouraged' to use that one gun if they want to do as best they can. It stifles the variety of player-types, too, which isn't good.

Dresden said:
ACR is a perfectly serviceable weapon. You point it at things and they die. People make too much of a big deal over overall killspeed, when the difference between the ACR and the Tar in terms of killing speed is like a quarter of a second and it almost always comes down to who saw who first, anyways.

Although, since you brought up the UMP and the Intervention along with it, are you saying that the ACR is overpowered? If so, lol.

Not to mention the Tar is more powerful than the ACR as well, only reason the ACR is used so frequently is you can hold the trigger and it will shoot straight as an arrow. Tar actually has recoil.

aku:jiki

Seanspeed said:
I wouldn't say any of those guns are even close to dominant. The UMP is probably one of, if not the best submachine-gun, sure. And the ACR is quite decent, too. But dominant? Nope.
Yes. Dominant in both weapon design (the UMP is just ridiculous here, clearly dominant) and popularity. No offense, but that comment about the M4 made it clear that you have no idea what we're talking about here.

Just a silly Google search of "ACR+noob" is over 1 million hits (the entire first page is forum threads like "Is the ACR the noobiest weapon in MW2?"), "M4+noob" is 100k. :lol

kuYuri

Aigis said:
Tbh the CoD4 M16 was never as good as people said it was. AK-47 with no attachments was better :)

Go back to BC2 thread. Your kind isn't welcome here.

I'm kidding, just kidding. ;P

Dresden

Yes. Dominant in both weapon design (the UMP is just ridiculous here, clearly dominant) and popularity. No offense, but that comment about the M4 made it clear that you have no idea what we're talking about here.

Just a silly Google search of "ACR+noob" is over 1 million hits (the entire first page is forum threads like "Is the ACR the noobiest weapon in MW2?"), "M4+noob" is 100k. :lol
MW2 playerbase is dumb as hell, then. The ACR has no recoil but it also fires slowly and hits like a ten year old. It's like the very small recoil that the Tar has somehow makes it a legitimate weapon for 'skilled' players when it's the most powerful assault rifle in the game.

But the UMP is powerful, though. It's the single best weapon for anyone not using Stopping Power, hands-down. And just about the only weapon you see in SnD. :lol

aku:jiki

Dresden said:
The ACR has no recoil but it also fires slowly and hits like a ten year old.
ACR has the same rate of fire (750rpm) as the TAR, and is the third fastest-firing AR (behind M4 at 800rpm and F2000 at 925rpm). It only does 10 less damage per bullet than the TAR (and SCAR) and when every bullet with your ACR is a guaranteed hit, that's not much of a difference.

Dresden said:
But the UMP is powerful, though. It's the single best weapon for anyone not using Stopping Power, hands-down. And just about the only weapon you see in SnD. :lol
It's the most popular weapon in any mode! Can't even tell you how sick I'm getting of the sound of a UMP...

Accidentus

Neo Member
The difference between the Ump and M16 is that there is at least debate between what the best gun in the game is. In Cod4 there was no debate, the M16 was the best gun and any other answer was incorrect (same with WaW and the MP40). If you polled 100 knowledgeable MW2 players what the best gun in the game is, you'd probably get 5 or 6 different answers (Ump, ACR, SCAR, TAR, FAMAS, possibly M4 or Intervention).

Red Scarlet

So the game downloaded and I clicked it to see if I needed to dl anything else, and I get this:

mw2huh.png

???

Red Scarlet said:
So the game downloaded and I clicked it to see if I needed to dl anything else, and I get this:

mw2huh.png

???

I got this earlier too. I restarted Steam and it said its updating now...but taking a really long time. Almost like its re-downloading the entire thing.

...and now I can't connect to Steam....dang.

Red Scarlet said:

localization.txt error

???

Me too.

And seriously the localization.txt file is stopping me from playing?

alright, Steam is back...MW2 updating still for me. 36 minutes remaining.

Damn...if this shit works...I swear...Activision. Combined with what I assume will be a more fun experience for me because of my superior PC shooter skills (over console) and the fact that they have the full game discounted on Steam to ONLY $50...well...I may just have to double dip this shit.

Archurro

Nardonicus said:
alright, Steam is back...MW2 updating still for me. 36 minutes remaining.

Damn...if this shit works...I swear...Activision. Combined with what I assume will be a more fun experience for me because of my superior PC shooter skills (over console) and the fact that they have the full game discounted on Steam to ONLY $50...well...I may just have to double dip this shit.
After 30 min, it's at 7%. This is probably the worst Free Weekend ever organized. I guess it's not like Activision cares anyway.

kuYuri

Archurro said:
After 30 min, it's at 7%. This is probably the worst Free Weekend ever organized. I guess it's not like Activision cares anyway.

Pretty sure you should be blaming Steam. Free weekends almost always seem to have problems of some kind.

Archurro said:

Yeah, blaming Activision for MW2 downloading slowly on Steam is like blaming Honda for there being traffic on the road. Fucking deal with it. You're playing the game free for a whole weekend.

Nizz

Loxley said:
I'll re-post this since it was the last post on the previous page :D

Robert Bowling just tweeted:
Thanks for the heads up. So it's May 4th for PS3. I'm assuming it'll be double xp for us as well?

careful

Strider2K99 said:
Pretty sure you should be blaming Steam. Free weekends almost always seem to have problems of some kind.
Right, I remember the same thing happened with UT3. They had to extend it by another weekend.

I don't know if you could say the ACR and UMP are dominant, but they're clearly the guns I see the most often from kill cams. I like the ACR, but I've pretty much stopped using it because it feels too common.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Just played a few rounds on Steam. After playing it predominantly on the 360/PS3, mouse and keyboard almost feels like cheating :lol

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
main reason for COD hate is that if you're not very good at the game you get absolutely destroyed constantly and not in a remotely entertaining or amusing way. You can't do a streetfighter button mash and hope to get away with something.

better players can rain ultimate death down on you from all angles if you dont stop them and it becomes an infuriating experience.

Activision raking in shitloads of money and still trying to rinse every last penny out of the world already upset people, but the game meant we could tolerate it or just accept it.

If the game is also pissing you off, its like a double whammy. Hate Activision, Hate IW, Hate the game = outright venom towards a game you kinda liked when you weren't getting destroyed.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
backflip10019 said:
Yeah, blaming Activision for MW2 downloading slowly on Steam is like blaming Honda for there being traffic on the road. Fucking deal with it. You're playing the game free for a whole weekend.
Except no I'm not because preloading didn't actually do much and I'm not wasting hours and hours downloading the thing AGAIN. Also, why bother when the "sale" on the game still puts it at a dollar more expensive than the REGULAR price of the closest competing game on Steam, Bad Company 2?

Also the UT weekend was not this bad.

jlevel13

woah - are there really no leaderboards on the PC version, or are there just none if you're doing the free multiplayer weekend thing?

Also surprised by how few people are playing on PC - only around 20,000 compared to over 400,000 still with the 360 version. No wonder they're having a free weekend.

jlevel13 said:
woah - are there really no leaderboards on the PC version, or are there just none if you're doing the free multiplayer weekend thing?

Also surprised by how few people are playing on PC - only around 20,000 compared to over 400,000 still with the 360 version. No wonder they're having a free weekend.

Yup, no leaderboards.

It usually gets about 100,000 at peak times playing (there were 200,000 playing around Christmas time). Wait til the weekend to get a better idea of player numbers. But yeah, nowhere near the amount on Xbox Live or PSN.

kuYuri

Technically, Xbox Live had two of those free silver weekends for MW2, which brings in quite a few players. It's the closest equivalent to the Steam free weekend.

zewone said:
Not that idiotic. 2.5 million downloads in the first week alone is a lot of moneys for MS.

Would they not have gotten 2.5 million downloads if it wasn't a timed exclusive? Are PS3 MW2 players going to buy a different system just to play 5 maps one month early? Timed exclusivity is bullshit. At least with GTA 4 there was a much longer gap between when the DLC was available for both systems, but this makes zero sense.

zam

Hey, don't you remember the guy we played against a while back called "ACR PRO", clearly that's proof right there that the ACR is a weapon for pros :D

though in that game ACR PRO was using a TAR

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Had a blast playing with a bunch of my L4D buddies tonight courtesy of the free weekend and I'm really looking forward to tomorrow night (even more of them should have it ready to play). I also had my best game yet thanks to a ridiculously lucky care package of chopper gunner in overgrown and then later an AC130 from another care package.

iw4mp%202010-04-09%2002-55-21-64.jpg

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
So the M16 is considered the best gun in COD4? I'd have never guessed that one. I'd have guessed the M5 in a second since it seemed to make up at least 50% of the guns in just about every match I ever played.

I'm guessing the fact that the M16 is a burst fire gun kept a lot of people from using it even though it was statistically the best.

Stallion Free said:
Had a blast playing with a bunch of my L4D buddies tonight courtesy of the free weekend and I'm really looking forward to tomorrow night (even more of them should have it ready to play). I also had my best game yet thanks to a ridiculously lucky care package of chopper gunner in overgrown and then later an AC130 from another care package.

Nice! I've never gotten close to 40 kills in TDM. 31 is my high. Whenever I get to the mid to upper 20's the game ends.

kuYuri

Stallion Free said:
Had a blast playing with a bunch of my L4D buddies tonight courtesy of the free weekend and I'm really looking forward to tomorrow night (even more of them should have it ready to play). I also had my best game yet thanks to a ridiculously lucky care package of chopper gunner in overgrown and then later an AC130 from another care package. ]

I think you mean Wasteland. :p

If you guys want another person to join, you can add me if you want.

Steam ID: Strider2K99

twdnewh_k

Quick question regarding PC version.

If i buy retail disc, can I activate the game on steam with the product key and just have it as a digital download ?

Meaning, if i activate retail cd key, can i play it without the disc ?

thnx

NIN90

twdnewh_k said:
Quick question regarding PC version.

If i buy retail disc, can I activate the game on steam with the product key and just have it as a digital download ?

Meaning, if i activate retail cd key, can i play it without the disc ?

thnx

Yes, it is a steamworks game.

LOL!

So I started playing the free weekend on Steam for MW2 and having fun, only a few minor laggy matches where the host would leave, migration would fuck up and all that regular stuff, but then... I join a game just about to start, something appears on my screen about earning XP, just thought it was something related to the game since tons of shit flashes up all the time, run up the pipes on rust and burst fire at the first guy I see.

Now he had some sort of name like $&£(%£$ but I killed him anyway, then I realised I was suddenly a rank 70 :lol only 1 hour into playing this free weekend! :lol :lol :lol

Much as I hate shit like this at least I can use all the gear now.

Diablohead said:
LOL!

So I started playing the free weekend on Steam for MW2 and having fun, only a few minor laggy matches where the host would leave, migration would fuck up and all that regular stuff, but then... I join a game just about to start, something appears on my screen about earning XP, just thought it was something related to the game since tons of shit flashes up all the time, run up the pipes on rust and burst fire at the first guy I see.

Now he had some sort of name like $&£(%£$ but I killed him anyway, then I realised I was suddenly a rank 70 :lol only 1 hour into playing this free weekend! :lol :lol :lol

Much as I hate shit like this at least I can use all the gear now.
Glad to see that there are boosting matches in the PC version.

KiKaL

Playing this now on PC makes me regret getting it on Xbox. It looks so much better, controls feel better and I'm much better. Granted I could be doing a lot better since there is tons of new people playing also. No way I'm double dipping for $50 though.

Najaf

johnFkennedy said:
Would they not have gotten 2.5 million downloads if it wasn't a timed exclusive? Are PS3 MW2 players going to buy a different system just to play 5 maps one month early? Timed exclusivity is bullshit. At least with GTA 4 there was a much longer gap between when the DLC was available for both systems, but this makes zero sense.

It makes perfect sense. Activision and Microsoft entered into an agreement that would, for a price, have MW2 pushed as the main skew on 360 and have timed exclusivity on the first two map packs. This allowed Microsoft to flex its marketing muscle: to have an exclusive MW2 themed 360 Elite at launch, have the game demoed at expos exclusively on 360s, have the 360 logo plastered everywhere during the media multiplayer event that was held prior to release etc.

This form of product association has sold systems, both to the casual consumer and someone savvy enough to know about the timed exclusivity of map packs.

Lourio

I didn't have to much success yesterday night when switching out Stopping Power Pro for Hardline on my SCAR-H build - I'm going to need a few more matches to get used to it.

I need to slow down my game just a tad to make proper use of Hardline. WhenI prestige again, I will be sure to 'relearn' the guns without using Stopping Power.

Top Bottom