• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Accidentus

Neo Member
Patrick Roy said:
I didn't have to much success yesterday night when switching out Stopping Power Pro for Hardline on my SCAR-H build - I'm going to need a few more matches to get used to it.

I need to slow down my game just a tad to make proper use of Hardline. WhenI prestige again, I will be sure to 'relearn' the guns without using Stopping Power.
Whenever I play without SP the worst part is the constant self doubting whenever I get out shot by someone. I'm always thinking "Well I would have killed him if I had SP on." This may or may not be true, but it's the change in mentality that's the toughest part for me. You can't always be wishing you had SP on whenever you get a hit marker and the guy doesn't die.

LosDaddie

Banned
Is there going to be another Double XP weekend soon?

Najaf said:
It makes perfect sense. Activision and Microsoft entered into an agreement that would, for a price, have MW2 pushed as the main skew on 360 and have timed exclusivity on the first two map packs. This allowed Microsoft to flex its marketing muscle: to have an exclusive MW2 themed 360 Elite at launch, have the game demoed at expos exclusively on 360s, have the 360 logo plastered everywhere during the media multiplayer event that was held prior to release etc.

This form of product association has sold systems, both to the casual consumer and someone savvy enough to know about the timed exclusivity of map packs.

Well said. There is real value in having your product (in this case, the X360) being associated with another mega-popular product like MW2.

Patrick Roy said:
I didn't have to much success yesterday night when switching out Stopping Power Pro for Hardline on my SCAR-H build - I'm going to need a few more matches to get used to it.

I need to slow down my game just a tad to make proper use of Hardline. WhenI prestige again, I will be sure to 'relearn' the guns without using Stopping Power.

I gave it a try and same thing for me. I did however have much better success using the same build but using the Tar instead.

zero margin said:
I gave it a try and same thing for me. I did however have much better success using the same build but using the Tar instead.

It takes some getting used to, for certain.But if you play deliberately rather than running and gunning, you'll find it to be extremely powerful.

divisionbyzorro said:
Greater aim assist (this easier to quick/no-scope with). Other than that, it's totally inferior to the Barret.
This is fucking driving me insane on Search and Destroy. Not because I'm victim to it - snipers are the easiest prey - but because when I die I have to watch a bunch of idiotic teamates run around with an intervention and when they meet an enemy that is 10 ft away they quickly scope in and out trying to hit them. USE THE FUCKING SECONDARY. It's even worse when the enemy is using the same tactic. I saw two dudes run around for 20 seconds earlier hoping to get lucky with the auto aim until one finally realised a shotgun to the face is a better tactic.

People are fucking idiots.

So I tried Steam's free weekend offer and after a few games found myself in a hacked match that set my level to 70 after a single kill. What the shit is this fuck? My game experience is ruined, and if I can't reset it, there's no point in buying the game anymore because leveling is half the fun for me.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
jakonovski said:
So I tried Steam's free weekend offer and after a few games found myself in a hacked match that set my level to 70 after a single kill. What the shit is this fuck? My game experience is ruined, and if I can't reset it, there's no point in buying the game anymore because leveling is half the fun for me.

You can prestige which resets every challenge for you and your rank. There are 10 levels of prestige.

Lourio

zero margin said:

I also tried it on my TAR build but really really didn't do too good :lol

Accidentus said:
Whenever I play without SP the worst part is the constant self doubting whenever I get out shot by someone. I'm always thinking "Well I would have killed him if I had SP on." This may or may not be true, but it's the change in mentality that's the toughest part for me. You can't always be wishing you had SP on whenever you get a hit marker and the guy doesn't die.

So true.

Lourio

Loxley said:
I'll re-post this since it was the last post on the previous page :D

Robert Bowling just tweeted:

The Modern Warfare 2 Stimulus Package DLC will hit PS3 in North America on May 4th, everywhere else May 5th. PC gets it worldwide on May 4th

Awesome thanks for posting this. Sadly I will be purchasing the maps day 1, I won't be able to resist.

iam220

Tried out this game for the free weekend thing on steam. At first glance it seems like a decent online fps but not quite up my alley. The combination of fast movement, low recoil and high damage makes it a bit too chaotic for my tastes. For a DM-type game I'd prefer GRAW (1 or 2, pc) which has a similar damage model but more a realistic movement and gun combat.

The matchmaking worked better then I expected it to but I find myself lagging more often then not. Finding players is surprisingly quick and the host migration does not occur often enough for it to be a giant pain. Again, my biggest gripe with the match making is the lag.

At $50 I'll be passing up on this game. I don't think it will ever reach a price point where I can justify buying it (> $20) but I'm glad I got a chance to play it none the less.

kuYuri

I played about 20 matches last night on PC and didn't encounter a single glitch or hack. I guess it was inevitable somebody would run into it though. :/

jedimike

Cold-Steel said:
I have to say, I'm really curious as to what you think of them.

Be sure to post your impressions!

I got the FPS Freeks in the mail yesterday and tried them last night. I have average sized hands (wear medium gloves) and the added height to the sticks wasn't as awkward as I thought it would be. They actually felt very comfortable.

Two things were nagging me a bit when playing. One: The material is different than the 360 sticks. The freeks had more knobbies and felt like "slicker" plastic. This is something that will be fine with a little more use.

Two: Running seemed to bother me. You have to apply a different pressure with your thumb because the position of your thumb is much further forward. Once again, it's something that will require more time playing to get used to.

Now the bottom line: Did the Freeks improve my game? Honestly, I can't yet tell. It seemed like making a minor sighting adjustment was easier, especially with distant shots. However, it could also just all be in my head. I'll need to play a few more nights before I can make a real determination.

I think the FPS Freeks are helping my gameplay, but the difference is minor. Players who buy these shouldn't expect their K/D to dramatically improve. We're talking fractional differences. If you play a lot of MW2, fractional differences are probably worth $10.

I'll report more after a weekend of play.

jakonovski said:

:lol

aku:jiki

I finally finished my FMJ unlocks for everything and went back to making some classes with weapons I actually enjoy using and, man, it's ridiculous what a difference it makes!

Yesterday, while trying to level up say the M240, I'd go 22-20 in every game. Today I went 65-9 in one using a good old silenced TAR, almost got two EMP's. Went back to silenced SCAR and UMP as well. It feels good to be home! :D

Also tried CoD Classic (the remake on XBLA) today - why is there peeking out from corners in that but not in MW2? :(

divisionbyzorro said:
It takes some getting used to, for certain.But if you play deliberately rather than running and gunning, you'll find it to be extremely powerful.

Figures, I sprint far too much in this game and that has gotten me killed numerous times.

aku:jiki said:
Also tried CoD Classic (the remake on XBLA) today - why is there peeking out from corners in that but not in MW2? :(
:lol :lol :lol

Downloading now, gonna give it a shot tonight...will share my impressions
from a BC2 whore/troll :D

I played a little on 360 but of course, PC is another beast.

DoomGyver

I'm done with this game, after the last few days of matching with OMA/DC and commando people I'm done. I feel the same way I did about Gears 2 after playing that for a few months and just getting completely fed up by the problems clouding over a great game. Too bad commando will never be changed because apparently you can't fix what isn't broken. No DLC for me.

*Ejects mw2 disc, we had a good run.

Rayme

jedimike said:
Two: Running seemed to bother me. You have to apply a different pressure with your thumb because the position of your thumb is much further forward. Once again, it's something that will require more time playing to get used to.
Remember that you don't have to hold the stick down to sprint. You only need to click it once. You'll sprint until either A) your sprint runs out, or B) you move the stick to a non-forward position.

(Sorry if you already knew this! It's just something that I've noticed a lot of people, even internally, don't necessarily realize. I've never used these sticks, so no idea if this makes any difference to your observation.)

Loxley

Mr. Snrub said:

Downloading now, gonna give it a shot tonight...will share my impressions
from a BC2 whore/troll :D

I played a little on 360 but of course, PC is another beast.

CoD Classic is okay, they increased the saturation and contrast by a noticeable amount from the PC version, which was weird to me. Also, playing a shooter on the 360 that has leaning, no sprint, and grenades as a selectable weapon and not just a one-button toss is something I can deal with better on the PC.

Also the lack of United Offensive kinda bummed me out (I really liked UO).

Aside from slight graphical improvements (shadows, namely) there's really nothing unexpected about it. It's a very straight-forward port. Just my impressions :)

zam

aku:jiki said:
I finally finished my FMJ unlocks for everything and went back to making some classes with weapons I actually enjoy using and, man, it's ridiculous what a difference it makes!

Yesterday, while trying to level up say the M240, I'd go 22-20 in every game. Today I went 65-9 in one using a good old silenced TAR, almost got two EMP's. Went back to silenced SCAR and UMP as well. It feels good to be home! :D

There was corner lean on the PC version of CoD4 (but not the 360 version), dunno if the same is for PC version of MW2. I guess they just don't have any buttons left on the controller for leaning (d-pad would make the most sense for leaning and that's used for kill-streaks).

Why are people complaining about people on the opposing team trying and failing to quickscope them? Those guys are awesome for free kills :D

Foliorum Viridum said:
This is fucking driving me insane on Search and Destroy. Not because I'm victim to it - snipers are the easiest prey - but because when I die I have to watch a bunch of idiotic teamates run around with an intervention and when they meet an enemy that is 10 ft away they quickly scope in and out trying to hit them. USE THE FUCKING SECONDARY. It's even worse when the enemy is using the same tactic. I saw two dudes run around for 20 seconds earlier hoping to get lucky with the auto aim until one finally realised a shotgun to the face is a better tactic.

People are fucking idiots.

Its a game :lol

If I was in theyre position I would ALWAYS go for the no scope rather than pull out a shotgun, the things just arent fun to use. That being said I dont typically play like a idiot but I do see why they do it - theyre having fun.

I love the guys that do it because it feeds me with kills, its win-win in my opinion.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I find a point blank shot to the head with my SPAS-12 infinitely more fun than running around like a chicken trying to luckily hit someone with an Intervention. :D

I just dont enjoy using them, they take the challenge away a bit for me, not that I act like a retard with snipers but I would find a lucky no scope SO MUCH more satisfying than simply pointing my shotgun and shooting. Its hard for me to explain, the shotgun is basically autowin and I think it simplifies gameplay down a lot. I know the same can be said about ANY gun, but the shotgun really is the ultimate weapon at close range. I dont think any other weapon class has a range it specifically dominates at. If you have a shotgun you really can walk into any room and easily clean up.

What can I say everyone enjoys the game in theyre own way which is why the class system works so well.

zam

Foliorum Viridum said:
I find a point blank shot to the head with my SPAS-12 infinitely more fun than running around like a chicken trying to luckily hit someone with an Intervention. :D
Forget having to spectate morons try to quickscope, its even more annoying having to watch teammates be so blatantly oblivious and/or stupid. Either I have to spectate some moron camping when our team is on offense, or watch as they completely ignore the loud fucking footsteps of an enemy walking near them.

It's true. That's my real gripe, really - the fact I have to watch them. S+D is my favourite mode, so it highlights horrible tactics people use when I'm forced to watch them. I know people probably do the same in Demonation or whatever, but when I'm playing that I don't have to watch it.

KevMurda

Am I the only one who hasn't seen Terminal pop up at all in rotation since the new maps came?

I played a decent amount of hours since the Stimulus and nada.

jedimike

KevMurda said:
Am I the only one who hasn't seen Terminal pop up at all in rotation since the new maps came?

I played some FFA and Terminal came up a few times. The maps that didn't come up for me were Karachi and Wasteland. Actually wasteland came up once and the bastards voted it off.

Jrmint

Full Recovery said:
I'm done with this game, after the last few days of matching with OMA/DC and commando people I'm done. I feel the same way I did about Gears 2 after playing that for a few months and just getting completely fed up by the problems clouding over a great game. Too bad commando will never be changed because apparently you can't fix what isn't broken. No DLC for me.

*Ejects mw2 disc, we had a good run.
I'm beginning to feel this way too, and I bought the dlc.

I can't remember the last time I had actual fun with this game.

No_Style

Patrick Roy said:
Thanks for reminding me, I still need to redeem my code for COD Classic. I remember having a blast playing this on PC.

COD: Classic (PS3) is an absolute joke from a tech perspective. The framerate is garbage (rarely 60 FPS), it takes at least twice as long to load a level compared to MW2 and they forced R2/L2 triggers for ADS and shoot.

It also reminded me how useful Quickload and Quicksave feature was; checkpoints are not friendly by today's standards.

You're better off replaying the PC version of COD which can run on nearly every single PC.

On the plus side: I did play a match of TDM on Carentan and that was amusing.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
KevMurda said:

I played it several times last night.

I spent the morning playing Mosh Pit with a friend. Towards the end, he said "Let's just do one more and then quit." The next game was a Free-For-All on Rust.

A 12-man FFA on Rust.

It was completely hilarious chaos. :lol

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
For those not enjoying it anymore, the main reason might be that as you play more and get better, any game you lose starts to annoy you more and more until you no longer enjoy it purely because you've developed a taste and expectation for winning.

It's a good idea sometimes to forget about winning and just play for fun. Kinda cleanses the palette.

Riot shield griefing and trying lesser played modes is what rekindled my joy

Strider2K99 said:
I played about 20 matches last night on PC and didn't encounter a single glitch or hack. I guess it was inevitable somebody would run into it though. :/
I only had one glitchy hacked match and that was the exp boosting one, otherwise it was fine also.

divisionbyzorro said:

I spent the morning playing Mosh Pit with a friend. Towards the end, he said "Let's just do one more and then quit." The next game was a Free-For-All on Rust.

A 12-man FFA on Rust.

It was completely hilarious chaos. :lol

Sounds like the glitched servers, which I loved :lol

I must also admit that CoD has died a little for me aswell, I play some AMAZING games here and there which show how amazing it is when the players dont ruin the experiance with cheap gameplay. Unfortunatly most of my games are plagued by griefers or just people taking advantage of seemingly stupid design decisions.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Just finished another 3 hour play session with a mixture of PC gaffers, mainly the gaf L4D crew + NIN90. NIN90 is a beast. It's a fucking blast when your team is you and 5 buddies. Sooooo good. A couple of them are purchasing it now :D

Top Bottom