• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

zero margin said:
Think I'm going to switch off of stopping power for good and use cold blooded or something. Sometimes I feel like it's a crutch for lack of aiming well.

Use a power rifle (like the SCAR or TAR) and switch it for Hardline if you really want to be a beast.

divisionbyzorro said:
Use a power rifle (like the SCAR or TAR) and switch it for Hardline if you really want to be a beast.

That would come after I make up for the crappy aiming I've been getting away with using SP. :lol For now I'd rather not be as easily seen by killstreaks, etc. Lightweight encourages sprinting and that more than anything else gets me killed the quickest so no go there.

EDIT - No problem on the TAR, favorite weapon easily.

zero margin said:
Think I'm going to switch off of stopping power for good and use cold blooded or something. Sometimes I feel like it's a crutch for lack of aiming well.

Do it.

add Ninja and you'll be good to go for Hardcore TDM. Good way to practice aiming since the sight is removed from the HUD so you'll be aiming down the sights often. You'll likely get slaughtered at first but you'll adapt and end up being a better player.

thechemist said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqZ89qVYlYY

Sequel to the wookie and smoke vid, sry if late, this guy is too funny!

Brilliant Sniping with the UZI.

I never knew air humidity affects grenades lol :lol .

damn I really shouldn't be watching this at work. lol I spawned in the fucking house of mirrors and can't find my way out. :lol

ExtraKr1spy said:
Do it.

add Ninja and you'll be good to go for Hardcore TDM. Good way to practice aiming since the sight is removed from the HUD so you'll be aiming down the sights often. You'll likely get slaughtered at first but you'll adapt and end up being a better player.

Ninja is what I prefer anyway so good to go there. Also yes, iron sights for life. Never tried hardcore TDM though. Might have to a few levels down the road.

aku:jiki

My opinion of the day is that among shitty weapons (LMGs), the M240 really out-shits the other ones. It's just a recoil machine with unimpressive damage. Getting the FMJ kills for it is being a pain in the ass, whereas the RPD, AUG and MG4 were all smooth and easy... Bah. Anyone noticed any pluses to the M240? I sure can't find any.

divisionbyzorro said:
I forgot how good the AA-12 is after going back to G18s and the SPAS last prestige.
Maaaaaan, fuck the AA-12! Worst shotgun by far.

(Yeah, I know, I've posted this pointless hate before and I'm gonna do it again!)

ExtraKr1spy said:
Do it.

Do people really aim using the reticule? I aim using the barrel of the gun, so crossing over to HC has absolutely no effect on me in that respect.

I've actually started enjoying HC more than before now. There's still a few stupid things ("whose pavelow is that?! WHAT, there was a predator coming?!"), but you gotta love how fast people go down. It feels like lag is a smaller issue in HC, or at least I don't call bullshit on every other death I have in HC. They all feel like my fault there. Loving it. If it wasn't for all the camping and boring play (HC can really become a graveyard where no shots are fired for minutes, so boring), I'd probably switch to HC full-time.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I can't stand the increased bullet damage. It really levels the playing field for people with crappy aim. I love getting shot first and killing someone through the raspberry jam because they can't shoot well enough to finish me off. Happpens all time.....when the connection is decent.

PetriP-TNT said:
I fuckin' lost it when he said "I spawn into a fucking house of mirrors" :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

My favorite part was when he hit his teammate in the back with the flashbang. :lol

Dresden

Patrick Roy said:
You guys have any strats for using C4? I can't seem to use it right and get owned everytime I try.
I always toss one onto the first flag I capture in domination. Then when you hear that it's being capped, double tap X for victoly.

When it does work, it works spectacularly.

Otherwise, use it like a semtex and double tap X as soon as it's in the air.

Patrick Roy said:
Do you mean double tap reload? WTF I had no idea you can do that! :lol

Yep.

You know what's great about it? If you double-tap reload to detonate C4 while behind a riot shield, you don't go through the detonation animation. This means that you can stay behind the shield without exposing yourself to detonate the C4. Which leads to one of my favorite classes for pissing people off:

Riot Shield
Akimbo Magnums
C4
Stun Grenades
Scavenger Pro
Danger Close Pro
Last Stand Pro

Toss C4 in a chokepoint. Sit in a corner. Wait for someone to come by. Detonate C4. Gather the blue deathbag. Rinse and repeat.

OMGLOL A LLAMA

Neo Member
Anyone else kinda tired about the guys who constantly talk trash about MW2 and praise BC2 to no end? MW2 had a rocky start but is now very enjoyable, I don't get the hate. :(

Dresden

OMGLOL A LLAMA said:
Anyone else kinda tired about the guys who constantly talk trash about MW2 and praise BC2 to no end? MW2 had a rocky start but is now very enjoyable, I don't get the hate. :(
What annoys me are the guys who quote things from this thread and talk shit about it in the BC2 thread.

Insaniac

Patrick Roy said:
I'm def. going to try out the SCAR-H with Hardline now that you put it that way. :D

with the new matchmaking I have been able to wean myself off of stopping power thank god because I was becoming too reliant on it. Now I am free to use perks like cold-blooded, danger close and hardline without feeling like I am at a huge handicap.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
OMGLOL A LLAMA said:

I've had a few people try to convert me and their reactions are always hilarious because pretty much every selling point they come up with is something I do not want in an online FPS.

I don't like vehicles
I don't like fully destructible environments
I don't like the emphasis on teamwork
I don't like that kills and deaths are less important

I mean if those are things you want in a game it's probably the bees knees but it's certainly not for me.

Dresden

Strider2K99 said:
People are actually doing that? :lol
I play BC2 sometimes on the PC, so I check out the thread now and then. I've seen it about three times now. It's stupid, feels like people playing MMOs talking shit about WoW. So insecure. :lol

Miggytronz

divisionbyzorro said:
Yep.

You know what's great about it? If you double-tap reload to detonate C4 while behind a riot shield, you don't go through the detonation animation. This means that you can stay behind the shield without exposing yourself to detonate the C4. Which leads to one of my favorite classes for pissing people off:

Riot Shield
Akimbo Magnums
C4
Stun Grenades
Scavenger Pro
Danger Close Pro
Last Stand Pro

Toss C4 in a chokepoint. Sit in a corner. Wait for someone to come by. Detonate C4. Gather the blue deathbag. Rinse and repeat.

oh man. will this work with throwing knife? prolly not.

Pulka

I did the sneakiest plant I have ever done today.
I was using Marathon, Cold Blooded PRO and Ninja, playing on Favela.
I rushed to A, hide in the grass while the whole team runs past me, plant the bomb and it blows up. :D

LosDaddie

Banned
OMGLOL A LLAMA said:

Well, you're a junior, so it's not surprising why you don't understand the GAF-hate for MW2. Once you've been here a while, it'll become easier to predict which game(s) will be on GAF's shit list.

LosDaddie

Banned
Insaniac said:
with the new matchmaking I have been able to wean myself off of stopping power thank god because I was becoming too reliant on it. Now I am free to use perks like cold-blooded, danger close and hardline without feeling like I am at a huge handicap.

So what's so good about Danger Close? I've been thinking about changing up my Perks a bit.

kuYuri

LosDaddie said:
So what's so good about Danger Close? I've been thinking about changing up my Perks a bit.

More powerful explosions, so noob tubes, Thumpers, Claymores, Frags, RPGs, etc. do way more damage. Combine that with Scavenger or OMA and you will constantly be raining explosive death on your enemies.

Also, Pro version makes your killstreak rewards do more damage and I think also bigger damage radius, from Sentry guns to Chopper Gunners.

Dresden

Strider2K99 said:
More powerful explosions, so noob tubes, Thumpers, RPGs, etc. do way more damage. Combine that with Scavenger or OMA and you will constantly be raining explosive death on your enemies.

Also, Pro version makes your killstreak rewards do more damage and I think also bigger damage radius, from Sentry guns to Chopper Gunners.
Nah, it's just a straight up damage increase for killstreak rewards.

It's probably better than stopping power, tbh. Killstreak damage boost alone is worth it.

LosDaddie said:
Well, you're a junior, so it's not surprising why you don't understand the GAF-hate for MW2. Once you've been here a while, it'll become easier to predict which game(s) will be on GAF's shit list.

There are a few very simple reasons why MW2 is on the shitlist:

• No dedicated servers on PC
  • Higher price point on PC
  • Doesn't play exactly like Call of Duty 4
  • Has DLC that costs 1200 MSP
  • Didn't have an open beta and had a bunch of bugs at launch

I think I covered the main reasons why your average Gaffer hates MW2. Essentially, IW didn't bother to coddle their fragile egos and so they moved on to the new flavor without really caring about the quality of the game itself. Don't worry - pretty soon DICE will do something dumb with their community and everybody will move on.

I think Valve is the only company who's totally immune from this cycle. They have community management down to a science.

LosDaddie said:

Danger Close Pro makes your killstreaks insanely powerful. The Apache might as well be spewing Predator missiles.

divisionbyzorro said:
Yep.

Riot Shield
Akimbo Magnums
C4
Stun Grenades
Scavenger Pro
Danger Close Pro
Last Stand Pro

And this is why CoD is on Gafs shit list :lol

P.S. that setup would be amazing on Domination or Headquarters

bobs99 ... said:
And this is why CoD is on Gafs shit list :lol

P.S. that setup would be amazing on Domination or Headquarters

Flash your corners or use SitRep and this goes to hell.

And it's not usually an effective kit by any means. But it does wonders for pissing people off. It's great if you want to play the metagame and get the other team playing on tilt. :lol

And yes, on certain Domination maps, it can take certain flags with ease.

Dresden said:
Nah, it's just a straight up damage increase for killstreak rewards.

It's probably better than stopping power, tbh. Killstreak damage boost alone is worth it.
No, DC does increase blast radius on everything. Think back to that old video where WingsOfRedemption popularized the OMA-tube kit - he shoots the floor in their spawn and they die left and right. The CG often stops in that same spot and without DC, they're safe in there. With DC on, they're not.

It's why I always slap myself for never being able to remember to switch to a DC kit before launching a CG or an AC.

divisionbyzorro said:
Throw poor netcode and random weapon balance in there and you'll have the complete list.

It really is odd how such a broken game can be so addictive and fun... Imagine if it didn't have all these flaws? Shit, I'd find a way to make MW2 my fulltime job. :lol

aku:jiki said:
Throw poor netcode and random weapon balance in there and you'll have the complete list.

It really is odd how such a broken game can be so addictive and fun... Imagine if it didn't have all these flaws? Shit, I'd find a way to make MW2 my fulltime job. :lol

The netcode isn't any worse than any other online game. But they have killcams. Which means you get to see the difference in reality that every other game hides. Plus you die much faster in MW2 than most other shooters.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Ever since the update, 90% of the games I'm in my latency is at 4 green bars.

Don't understand the poor netcode comment.

Red Scarlet

Stallion Free said:
Actually a bunch of the L4D VS crew will be trying out plus Panda, Midnight, and I already own it. You should play with us too.

That'd be fun. Does this version have the single player campaign?

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Cerrius said:

I don't think the bars are a very good measuring stick of your actual connection. All last night I played with 4 bars and the connection was still off and on the flip side I've had some really good connections with 2 yellow bars.

LosDaddie

Banned
Strider2K99 said:
More powerful explosions, so noob tubes, Thumpers, Claymores, Frags, RPGs, etc. do way more damage. Combine that with Scavenger or OMA and you will constantly be raining explosive death on your enemies.

Good info. Thanks! I think I'll give DC a shot next time I game.

divisionbyzorro said:

I think I covered the main reasons why your average Gaffer hates MW2. Essentially, IW didn't bother to coddle their fragile egos and so they moved on to the new flavor without really caring about the quality of the game itself. Don't worry - pretty soon DICE will do something dumb with their community and everybody will move on.

Pretty much. The majority of MW2's hate comes from PC-GAF, but I'll add a few lesser-known reasons for the hate:
  • It's an Activision game
  • It's a "dudebro" game
  • It's popular / massively successful / an industry leader (basically all the same thing)
  • X360 gets DLC first
  • It's not a PS3 exclusive

eh...I hate to get into console wars bullshit, but I seriously doubt MW2 would be hated this much if it were exclusive (even just a timed exclusive) to GAF's favorite console. It's a legit AAA game that's feature rich with a robust MP offering. MW2 may not be for every gamer, but it's still a fucking awesome game.

LosDaddie said:
eh...I hate to get into console wars bullshit, but I seriously doubt MW2 would be hated this much if it were exclusive (even just a timed exclusive) to GAF's favorite console. It's a legit AAA game that's feature rich with a robust MP offering. MW2 may not be for every gamer, but it's still a fucking awesome game.

Pretty much. Nothing wrong with liking something that's popular. We can't all be Shane Bettenhausen and only love things that are weird and obscure. Then the obscure would become popular! Then it wouldn't be obscure anymore! Ahhh my head! :lol

I don't have a problem with either of these to be honest though I don't know what random weapon balance means. In regards to the balance I've seen every single weapon in this game be effective at one time or another. Again though, not sure what you're saying.

LosDaddie

Banned
divisionbyzorro said:
The netcode isn't any worse than any other online game. But they have killcams. Which means you get to see the difference in reality that every other game hides. Plus you die much faster in MW2 than most other shooters.

That's my opinion too. I've been on XBL since '02 and MW2's netcode is on par with the best of 'em.

Sure, lag happens, but it's not common for me.

Dresden

No, DC does increase blast radius on everything. Think back to that old video where WingsOfRedemption popularized the OMA-tube kit - he shoots the floor in their spawn and they die left and right. The CG often stops in that same spot and without DC, they're safe in there. With DC on, they're not.

l
Nah. It doesn't increase the blast radius, it's just that because of the damage boost, glancing hits that they would have survived now kill them. Essentially the non-lethal portions of the blast radii is now lethal. If you had said the kill radius, you'd be correct, but the actual area that the blast affects remains the same.

kuYuri

Red Scarlet said:
That'd be fun. Does this version have the single player campaign?

If you're referring to the free weekend, unfortunately, you only get access to the competitive multiplayer aspect, not the single player campaign or co-op Spec-Ops mode.

Seanspeed

Banned
Considering the amount of customization available to you, I'm actually pretty amazed at how balanced the weapons are overall. Sure, there's some sucky guns, but there's no 'dominant' ones either, like the M16 with CoD4, and the MP40 in WaW. I think thats quite an accomplishment.

Strider2K99 said:
If you're referring to the free weekend, unfortunately, you only get access to the competitive multiplayer aspect, not the single player campaign or co-op Spec-Ops mode.

No Spec-Ops is sad, but you won't be missing much by not getting the single player campaign.

Loxley

divisionbyzorro said:

I think Valve is the only company who's totally immune from this cycle. They have community management down to a science.

Danger Close Pro makes your killstreaks insanely powerful. The Apache might as well be spewing Predator missiles.

There's also the "miss-steps" with MW2's advertising campaign. Although by the time the "F.*.G.S" viral ad was released, people were already steaming about the game's PC issues. So this was just more ammunition for people to use against IW (however I do completely agree it was a bone-headed move on IW's part).

I play MW2 on the PC, and I also played CoD4 on the PC, and y'know what? CoD4 is not meant for more than 20 players per-map. As wonderous as dedicated servers are for most games, anymore than 20 people on nearly any given map in CoD4 and it's damn-near unplayable, the maps are far too small and were clearly not meant for that many people.

People thought that opposing teams calling in endless Choppers, Air Strikes and UAV's were bad on CoD4 on the consoles? Try a game on the PC that often has two or three times the number of people that a console match would allow. Assuming you can somehow avoid the air support, it's a non-stop fragfest with 3X Frag spammers and 'nade launchers.

I miss a lot about CoD4 (back in the day when it was still cool to like Call of Duty, or IW for that matter) but there's so much I like about MW2 that I just...I can't go back.

Dresden

Asides from a stable net connection, the only thing I miss about dedicated servers is the possibility of 64-man riot shield only matches. They could call it Spartan Warfare.

Loxley

Robert Bowling just Tweeted:

@fourzerotwo

The Modern Warfare 2 Stimulus Package DLC will hit PS3 in North America on May 4th, everywhere else May 5th. PC gets it worldwide on May 4th

- 3 minutes ago via CoTweet

Seanspeed said:
Sure, there's some sucky guns, but there's no 'dominant' ones either, like the M16 with CoD4, and the MP40 in WaW.
UMP, Intervention and ACR say hi?

Speaking of the weapons, my flatmate and I watched Shooter yesterday and it's funny how they basically just copied the weapon loadout from that. Mark Wahlberg's two sniper rifles of choice are an Intervention and a Barrett - he uses both in the intro scene and they use the Intervention to frame him. :lol

Afterwards, we watched Zombieland which has ACR, UMP45, Models and M1014. MW2 is turning me into a gun nut. :lol

Granted, I haven't played a ton of online FPS but this is the only one I've seen have so many lag spikes, so many occurences of "WTF, I shot that guy first!" and just random laggy weirdness. There is not one match in this game that doesn't have at least some instance of lag in some form (lag spikes, 20 feet Commando lunges, guys eating 10 bullets and then just turning around and headshotting you, etc) and I don't think the same is true for the other FPS I've played (which is mostly Halo).

Edit: To add to this, I think the fact that they added features that the netcode can't handle counts as "poor netcode" (though that might not be technically true). For example, Lightweight and FMJ kills are too much for the game to handle. A Lightweight user will often strafe out of your shots even though you're clearly hitting him, and spray a couple akimbo'd SMGs with FMJ at a wall and it will almost always result in a slideshow on your end.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Forget the modded matches and large scale battles, dedicated servers are good because you can choose which maps to rotate, play any cool custom maps that are made (if it's possible to make them), and mostly just have a group of bros to hang out with in addition to meeting new people everytime you enter the server. It's why I still play Counter-Strike 1.6. I never played CoD4 on PC, and I'm willing to bet it was filled with lots of abusing admins and broken custom games and whatnot, but lack of dedicated servers seems like an overall loss. They could've included both it AND matchmaking, and nothing would be lost. People would still buy the map packs if they were good (and from impressions in this thread, that seems to be the case)

Anyways, preloading MW2 on Steam for the free weekend to finally decide between PC or PS3. Sold the 360 version because I didn't like paying the LIVE subscription. For those with the PC version, do you use the 360 controller? From what I understand, there's no leaning so keyboard isn't better than controller, but there's no auto assist either so mouse would be better than sticks.

Top Bottom