• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Holy crap, on a Wasteland Domination match today, someone got 7 kills with one GL shot on the first flag. Luckily I killed him before he could get a nuke, thus ruining his perfect game.:D

Maximus.

Why do people think its a good idea to stand beside a sniper and attempt to snipe with their assault rifles!? I recently started to use the intervention and it pisses me off how many people seem to want to stand behind me and blow my cover, its always people who have a negative kill/death ratio too. /rant

whitehawk

Banned
Fraull said:
Why do people think its a good idea to stand beside a sniper and attempt to snipe with their assault rifles!? I recently started to use the intervention and it pisses me off how many people seem to want to stand behind me and blow my cover, its always people who have a negative kill/death ratio too. /rant
cuz i dont like you

Maximus.

whitehawk said:
cuz i dont like you

10rjp1k.jpg

aku:jiki

divisionbyzorro said:
There are two types of killcams (that I know of) where you don't actually see the shot that killed you. In fact, the guy who killed you could be on the other side of the map when it happens.

• Crate falling from the sky. I imagine this didn't happen to you because you would have seen the crate when you died (unless the camera totally bugged out).
  • Delayed explosion from a car or barrel.
Indeed, but this killcam showed what I described - him shooting the AT4 into the house with me nowhere to be seen in the killcam...because he wasn't aiming for me! The game just decided I died from the explosion for no reason. It's still blowing my mind a little.

mr_boo

Fraull said:
That's annoying, but I've got a better one for you. I've actually had a fellow team member follow me around just so he could purposely obscure my view - it was incomprehensible as to why he did this. I eventually out - ran him, but I never figured out what the point of that was.

Maximus.

mr_boo said:
That's annoying, but I've got a better one for you. I've actually had a fellow team member follow me around just so he could purposely obscure my view - it was incomprehensible as to why he did this. I eventually out - ran him, but I never figured out what the point of that was.

bored kid i guess? :lol This one time, i was using my ACR class and I died. Watched the kill cam and some asshole was literally following me from behind and used me as a human shield, when I died he was just standing there waiting. I got revenge and did the same thing to him though.

aku:jiki said:
Indeed, but this killcam showed what I described - him shooting the AT4 into the house with me nowhere to be seen in the killcam...because he wasn't aiming for me! The game just decided I died from the explosion for no reason. It's still blowing my mind a little.

Ive had this, and can only put it down to really bad connections. He was probably host and on his screen it probably showed you much closer to the main building. On your screen you wernt but the game didnt verify this properly and could only go on what the host 'saw'.

Ganhyun

mr_boo said:

probably his/her way of griefing.

aku:jiki

mr_boo said:
:lol

That might've been me if it was on Overgrown! I was doing that to a sniper yesterday because he was being a loser - ignoring the objective, stealing kills, trying to steal care packages, being loud in areas where everybody was trying to be stealthy etc. So since he was fucking up everyone else's fun, I fucked up his. :lol

mr_boo

That might've been me if it was on Overgrown! I was doing that to a sniper yesterday because he was being a loser - ignoring the objective, stealing kills, trying to steal care packages, being loud in areas where everybody was trying to be stealthy etc. So since he was fucking up everyone else's fun, I fucked up his. :lol
I run on the PS3, so it couldn't be you ^_^ Plus, unless I'm running with a specific friend, for the most part I stay away from all other game modes besides TDM. I find objective based modes just too frustrating when I'm not playing with friends. TDM provides me more opportunities to dictate the terms of engagement whereas in objective game modes, I'm more or less reliant on how good/bad my team mates are.

Strider2K99 said:
Read the OP... it's May 4th.
Strider always tends to his OP :D

In those situations I mentioned, you see what the killer saw as you died, even though he was nowhere near you. Did the killcamera actually follow the AT4 rocket into the house?

I've only ever griefed a teammate once. I was sitting in the house above Alpha on Skidrow (it was a game of Sabotage, so I was camping the bomb site on defense), and a teammate came up and started swiping at me with his knife to get me to leave. "Shit no!" I said, and started deliberately blocking his view. He backed into a corner, at which point I pushed him into the corner and set down my controller, blocking him in place.

I can only imagine his rage when he inevitably went to send me a message and realized that he couldn't because my privacy settings won't let him. :lol

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Fraull said:
You know what annoys me? People who go to my assault rifle spots and just stand there trying to snipe. Worst part is, they usually seem to have a negative K/D ratio too.

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
We should make a list of "You know you've been playing too much MW2 when...."

Today when I was waiting for the campus shuttle the girl next to me was adjusting her backpack straps and one of the straps made a "click" that sounded just like the "click" a Claymore makes before it goes off. I jumped a bit when I heard it and she gave me a weird look.

I think it's time for another break from this game.

Mush

I know this doesn't seem very impressive to you guys but today I went 36-3 in TDM, easily my best match in a while. Even managed to complete the "Invincible" challenge too. :D

kuYuri

Guts Of Thor said:
We should make a list of "You know you've been playing too much MW2 when...."

Today when I was waiting for the campus shuttle the girl next to me was adjusting her backpack straps and one of the straps made a "click" that sounded just like the "click" a Claymore makes before it goes off. I jumped a bit when I heard it and she gave me a weird look.

I think it's time for another break from this game.

No. This isn't GameFAQs.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
that raffica nuke...holy shit. he was just untouchable all the way through.

I'd rather he talk about what he was doing and thinking, like did he see some movement here, hear some footsteps there, see a red blip on the radar or whatever. Makes me wanna go back to my M16 class though.

buy teh haloz said:
Holy crap, on a Wasteland Domination match today, someone got 7 kills with one GL shot on the first flag. Luckily I killed him before he could get a nuke, thus ruining his perfect game.:D

I didn't know you could do this on Wasteland.

You can do it in Afghan and Invasion (likely others too) for sure though, right as the match starts.

PalaceBrother said:
I didn't know you could do this on Wasteland.

You can do it in Afghan and Invasion (likely others too) for sure though, right as the match starts.

I much prefer sitting on the Alpha MG and spamming the approach to Charlie right at the beginning. I got a 5-streak on that MG once. :lol

So, my impressions after the free weekend of MW2:

The Good
No cheating--I only played a little while (couple hours), but I didn't encounter any cheaters (that I know of)
Great production values--I played through the whole campaign and a bunch of the Spec Ops missions w/my brother on his 360, so I knew this going in, but I was still happy with how the game looked. The world assets aren't the best, but great colors, weapon/character models, and overall IQ. The game has a very "sharp" look--don't know if that's the best way to describe it
Addictive gameplay--I'm not much of a DM'er and it took me a little while to get into it, but once you get the hang of it, the game is generally addicting--its great when you're on a roll (which for me was just a few kills in a row :lol ). The loot/RPG whore in me loved leveling up, unlocking new things, etc.
Multiplayer features-IW just nailed it here. So many different options, levels, and depth to the game. Not trolling, but this game would have been the penultimate experience with custom maps, mods, and dedicated servers.

The Bad
Personal Preference--I am just not a DM kind of guy. The most fun I had was when there was some semblance of teamwork in "Ground Control", until a predator missile killed half my team. I'm just not really into this fast, frenetic action
The knifing--Did not enjoy a guy being ten yards out as I fire at him and I seemingly die while he's still five yards out--didn't even know what the hell happened most of the time
The movement--For some reason, I found the movement a bit clunky. Maybe if I played with my mouse settings, it would be different, but I didn't like the dopey "hi-ho hi-ho" sprinting. It almost felt like sprinting just put you on a track. I never seemed to get my shots just right, either--my aim was almost always off and I think I rarely won a one-on-one encounter
The scoring system--I realize it goes against everything that COD is, but I didn't like the scoring system/lack of options built in to encourage team work. It doesn't help that bunching together/staying close to your team can equal a multi-kill for the other team at any moment
Lethality--I guess this isn't so much of a complain about the guns (which I like), but the tools available that are EXTREMELY powerful and can take out scores of people. It can be fun, but it just seems like a flawed game design

As you can see, a lot of my complaints are taste/personal preference--it's just the sort of game I can't get into. I like the feeling of being in part of something larger, not a lone ranger who singlehandedly wins the match for a team. The insanely powerful killstreaks make sticking-together-as-a-team a stupid tactic, which just doesn't jive with me. Mostly, though, I've just never been a team deathmatch--I like having a set objective and having to work with others to achieve that.

So, thanks, but no thanks. It wasn't the horror-fest I'd thought it was from my first impression playing the 360, but it's just not my thing.

Jrmint

Holy shit @ that no killstreak, raffica only nuke video. That was by far, one of the most impressive MW2 videos I have ever seen.

I also really like how he set it up showing all his perks and guns and kills and whatnot, very well done.

9th nuke today, on Wasteland this time. One more to go... I think that I have never gotten nuke twice on the same map, I am missing at least Karachi, Rundown, Subbase, Derail. Rust and Underpass.

jlevel13

Mr. Snrub said:
The insanely powerful killstreaks make sticking-together-as-a-team a stupid tactic, which just doesn't jive with me. Mostly, though, I've just never been a team deathmatch--I like having a set objective and having to work with others to achieve that.

I will just slightly disagree with this, because if you're actually on a team that's communicating and working together, you can really roll. It's true most people are playing objective modes like it's team deathmatch and that takes some of the depth out of the game, but the depth is there if you're looking for it. Really playing as a team and communicating effectively will lead to extremely good results.

Top Bottom