• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Dresden

It's been a while, but Battlefield games had people 'worming' their way through the game. Dropshooting in COD games is nothing compared to that.

I don't think it's much of an issue at all, compared to OMA tubers and lag-vincible commandos. Just aim lower.

Kujo

I got the best Nuke on Estate before. Got to Harrier, then Chopper Gunner, but it got shot down after a few kills. So I'm 17-0 and I'm out of ammo on my UMP and AA12. Someone then throws up a UAV and I see the entire enemy team in the house with less than 2 minutes to go, so I run like a madman into that place and just start knifing everyone I see. Some guy at the top of the stairs sees me, almost gets me, so I ran around the back and up the logs, knife him and the 2 others there, and then jump down to see 2 more on the side of the house, bam. Get 8 knife kills with no ammo, at this point we're still losing TD (how??) so I call in my nuke with 30 seconds to go and get the Ultimate Sacrifice challenge as well. So good, lol

Red Scarlet

Guess I played the game for about 4 hrs with Mutfox earlier. Went from level 3 to 11. Didn't know I could knife people until like level 8 or 9. I probably used a crappy set of weapons (some sniper rifle and a spas shotgun, then the scar and the shotgun).

The mode I had the most fun with was the Sabotage one. Having stuff like radar and thermal sensor on the gun looks pretty handy, but I didn't have one. That kinda annoyed me a little bit when I was level 4-ish, hard to compete with level 50+ people.

I did knife a level 70 guy, knifed 2 at once, and sniped 2 at once (it said like I shot one and the same bullet went through a wall and hit someone else, some x-ray thing). That was pretty cool.

I thought the airplane map was pretty fun, and one of the desert-y ones and I forget what else. I didn't really like demolition? mode, and I can't remember the other ones aside from Team Deathmatch.

Here's what I ended up using:
mw2weekend.png

I was pretty awful at the game, but I did get 1:1 a couple times. Usually I had around at most 12 kills and sometimes up to 45 deaths. I felt like I was learning, but there were so many maps they all were pretty confusing in the weekend time trial.

Oh, here's my final stats:
mw2weekend2.png

Thanks for letting your group have me along and not knowing what to do, Mutfox. Sabotage I had the most fun with. Oh, why does money fly out of me when I die? Never asked that in-game.

HappyDad said:
Personally, I don't do this, but it's no better or worse than those who hop Halo style as soon as they see enemies. Similar example can be campers vs lightweight knife runners; they're both allowed tactics with equal amount of frustrated people on the other side.

The difference is that jumpers rarely kill me. :lol

cdyhybrid

Red Scarlet said:
Oh, why does money fly out of me when I die? Never asked that in-game.

Payback kills, I believe.

On an unrelated note, there's a blow-up doll in the rafters of the second floor of the wooden house in Salvage :lol

Tamanon

Banned
Maybe it's just me, but I've never had a problem with droppers, if I'm not killing them in the initial burst, it usually takes them longer to aim at me than vice versa.

So I'm just now really starting to give the M16 some serious attention (I have at least Veteran I for all ARs other than the M16 and F2K). Is it just me or is the FAMAS better? I know the Holo Sight is supposed to tighten the spread of each burst, so maybe I'll like it better then, but so far I'm finding the M16 to be vastly inferior to the FAMAS. Anyone else feel the same way?

S after this weekend's worth of free play I had some good fun, the game is entertaining and less broken on the PC then I expected but I still ran into glitched matches and games where the host had terrible connections, otherwise no problem.

I also got my pc setup to a wireless network for the first time this weekend and MW2 shows me that my network is up to snuff, felt no different to being wired up to the router :D

Damn, thanks whoever posted the hardline set up. Just get to the predator and and a positive K/D is all but guaranteed. Was using the pred/harrier/pave low killstreaks yesterday and it was basically amazing. Nothing like your harrier shooting the enemies helicopter out of the sky as soon as it enters the map. :D Happened twice yesterday.

Frillen

Red Scarlet said:
Guess I played the game for about 4 hrs with Mutfox earlier. Went from level 3 to 11. Didn't know I could knife people until like level 8 or 9. I probably used a crappy set of weapons (some sniper rifle and a spas shotgun, then the scar and the shotgun).

The mode I had the most fun with was the Sabotage one. Having stuff like radar and thermal sensor on the gun looks pretty handy, but I didn't have one. That kinda annoyed me a little bit when I was level 4-ish, hard to compete with level 50+ people.

I did knife a level 70 guy, knifed 2 at once, and sniped 2 at once (it said like I shot one and the same bullet went through a wall and hit someone else, some x-ray thing). That was pretty cool.

I thought the airplane map was pretty fun, and one of the desert-y ones and I forget what else. I didn't really like demolition? mode, and I can't remember the other ones aside from Team Deathmatch.

Here's what I ended up using:
mw2weekend.png

I was pretty awful at the game, but I did get 1:1 a couple times. Usually I had around at most 12 kills and sometimes up to 45 deaths. I felt like I was learning, but there were so many maps they all were pretty confusing in the weekend time trial.

Oh, here's my final stats:
mw2weekend2.png

Thanks for letting your group have me along and not knowing what to do, Mutfox. Sabotage I had the most fun with. Oh, why does money fly out of me when I die? Never asked that in-game.

You should use Commando instead of Steady Aim.

jlevel13

I really enjoyed trying out the game on PC during the free weekend. I wish that's the way I'd started playing (instead of on the 360). Was sort of surprised how well it ran on my PC. But the big difference for me was the lack of aim assist - it made everything just feel much better and smoother. Also felt more focused on the game sitting in front of my monitor than slacking in front of my TV. I think I've been reconverted back into a PC gamer for first person shooters - though not enough to drop $50 and start over on MW2. Also had fun taking some screenshots.

Are the map packs going to be free on PC?

Dresden

divisionbyzorro said:
So I'm just now really starting to give the M16 some serious attention (I have at least Veteran I for all ARs other than the M16 and F2K). Is it just me or is the FAMAS better? I know the Holo Sight is supposed to tighten the spread of each burst, so maybe I'll like it better then, but so far I'm finding the M16 to be vastly inferior to the FAMAS. Anyone else feel the same way?
I always thought that the M16 was the better gun, but it's probably just personal preference in the end, since they're so similar to each. It's always felt more accurate, though, the FAMAS has a floaty feel to it that I don't get with the M16.

zero margin said:
Damn, thanks whoever posted the hardline set up. Just get to the predator and and a positive K/D is all but guaranteed. Was using the pred/harrier/pave low killstreaks yesterday and it was basically amazing. Nothing like your harrier shooting the enemies helicopter out of the sky as soon as it enters the map. :D Happened twice yesterday.

Kicks ass, doesn't it? Hardline is an incredibly powerful perk.

iam220

Played for the last time yesterday, got a better feel for the gun combat. This game is quite fun in 20-30 min bursts. The gun play, while easy, is satisfying.

How does it compare to MW1? I enjoyed the weekend with 2 but really dislike the kill streak stuff (getting killed by an attack chopper is soo annoying argg) and the lack of DD. MW1 is looking pretty enticing right about now.

Lourio

divisionbyzorro said:

Haha yea, thanks zorro for reminding us of the Hardline perk. Been using this since I've prestiged, I pretty much replaced Stopping Power for Hardline on all my stopping power builds.

I been noticing lots of love for the SCAR-H silenced recently :D

Anyone else on PSN notice the amount of fucking lag there has been the past week or so - or is it just me?

Patrick Roy said:
I been noticing lots of love for the SCAR-H silenced recently :D

That is about the only difference on mine is that I use the silenced TAR instead of SCAR. I tried to like SCAR but the clip size just annoys me to no end. I can't even use it long enough to get the extended mags that's just how much it bothers me. :lol

zero margin said:
That is about the only difference on mine is that I use the silenced TAR instead of SCAR. I tried to like SCAR but the clip size just annoys me to no end. I can't even use it long enough to get the extended mags that's just how much it bothers me. :lol

Scavenger Pro is the answer.

I only have one AR class where I don't use Scavenger Pro; I use Bling on the FAL so I can have a silencer and a Holo sight. Everything else uses it. Scavenger + Claymores = WIN.

divisionbyzorro said:
Scavenger Pro is the answer.

I only have one AR class where I don't use Scavenger Pro; I use Bling on the FAL so I can have a silencer and a Holo sight. Everything else uses it. Scavenger + Claymores = WIN.

Ohh trust me I use scavenger and that is not the problem, it's the size of the clip.

Lourio

zero, I used to think the same thing. Just got to make sure that every bullet hits the target. :lol Make sure to aim for the head, the iron sights are perfect for this.

Pull out your trusty secondary if ever you are caught; might I recommend the Magnum or the M39 Raffica.

99% of the time on the steam free weekend I used burst fire rifles, love them. I tried out the AK and would have loved to earn it's silencer but wasn't arsed.

Patrick Roy said:
zero, I used to think the same thing. Just got to make sure that every bullet hits the target. :lol

Pull out your trusty secondary if you ever you are caught, might I recommend the Magnum or the M39 Raffica.

I wouldn't ever reccomend the magnum personally.. but the Raffica is pretty beast with Stopping Power.. and depending on what you do, either Silencer or FMJ. FMJ is good if you want to shoot someone hiding behind a wall.

My favorite secondaries for my UMP class are:

Thumper: People can hate on people who use it, but when some guy is laying down in a hallway aiming in your direction, I don't really see an easy way to shoot them, so I just take them out with it. Also people who camp in the back in Skidrow, I take them out with it too. :lol

SPAS: Yeah.. it destroys, has insane range. Use with Stopping Power. :D

zero margin said:
Hey no problem if you guys like the SCAR, I use it from time to time but the TAR is just really nice.

It is nice... if you have bad aim. It's one of the least accurate guns in the game.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
It's still surprising and admirable that all guns have their uses and I've definitely gone through very different phases in play style and gun usage.

RPD + sleight of hand + sp

Silenced M16 + bling + coldblooded

SCAR + scavenger + hardline

FAMAS + noobtube + SP

I've changed my favourite playstyle so many times, I don't actually know which is my best and when I'm favouring one I seem to forget how to use the others. Bit weird. When I got m16 first time round I used nothing else til I prestiged. I used it stealthily and had a non stealth class I sometimes used.

Then first prestige I didnt touch m16 and now I can't seem to use it anymore and I almost never use stealth. My playstyle is the complete opposite of how it used to be.

I'm pretty confident all the above guns are equal but playstyle is everything.

aku:jiki

Man, I should've recorded the killcam I just saw with my phone or something, just to document it... Worst one I've ever seen, and I can't explain what happened in any way.

Salvage. I was coming up on a flank behind the camping house. Enemy there, aiming an AT4 at a teammate of mine who is oblivious and heading through the back door of the house. The enemy does not spot me. He corrects his AT4 aim as I start unloading into him, making sure he's aiming that boomstick away from me. He shoots and sure enough, the smoke trail is aimed away from me. Suddenly I die.

Checked the killcam and he had indeed fired the AT4 at my teammate and it did indeed explode inside the house as he aimed through the door. I was outside the house, over by the little hanging roof on the next house. No clue what killed me and no explanation in the killcam, WTF!

divisionbyzorro said:
Good call! I'm gonna Hardline my last EMP, that should help... Just like with nukes, that last one is a pain in the ass! Even worse is that I've had it 3-4 times now, but I always manage to be in the CG when the match ends. :(

kaizoku said:
I've changed my favourite playstyle so many times, I don't actually know which is my best and when I'm favouring one I seem to forget how to use the others.
This part of the game is actually kind of a mindfuck for me, as my most efficient style is not the one I have the most fun with. Meaning, I can go 50-5 if I really play defensively, check every corner before moving and avoid doing anything stupid...but that's no fun! I much prefer putting on Marathon and going in guns blazing, ending up with a 25-20 score in the process. But, eh, I guess that just means I'm doing it right?

aku:jiki said:
Good call! I'm gonna Hardline my last EMP, that should help... Just like with nukes, that last one is a pain in the ass! Even worse is that I've had it 3-4 times now, but I always manage to be in the CG when the match ends. :(

My 10th EMP for the emblem evaded me a while as well. Have you gotten 10 EMPs before? Or are you just completing all challenges again since you're on 10th prestige?

Headhunter

Neo Member
zero margin said:
Ohh trust me I use scavenger and that is not the problem, it's the size of the clip.

Scavenger is just awesome for gren spamming. Just loving it, stun the opponent, kill him, get a free stun and frag gren and rise and shine again :)

aku:jiki said:
Man, I should've recorded the killcam I just saw with my phone or something, just to document it... Worst one I've ever seen, and I can't explain what happened in any way.

Salvage. I was coming up on a flank behind the camping house. Enemy there, aiming an AT4 at a teammate of mine who is oblivious and heading through the back door of the house. The enemy does not spot me. He corrects his AT4 aim as I start unloading into him, making sure he's aiming that boomstick away from me. He shoots and sure enough, the smoke trail is aimed away from me. Suddenly I die.

Checked the killcam and he had indeed fired the AT4 at my teammate and it did indeed explode inside the house as he aimed through the door. I was outside the house, over by the little hanging roof on the next house. No clue what killed me and no explanation in the killcam, WTF!

There are two types of killcams (that I know of) where you don't actually see the shot that killed you. In fact, the guy who killed you could be on the other side of the map when it happens.

• Crate falling from the sky. I imagine this didn't happen to you because you would have seen the crate when you died (unless the camera totally bugged out).
  • Delayed explosion from a car or barrel.

mr_boo

divisionbyzorro said:
Yes. I find the FAMAS just that much better for some weird reason even though [1] I use SP with both guns which neglects the FAMAS range advantage if all three bullets connect and [2] the raise/drop/reload times are better for the M16. I guess may be I connect two bullets rather than three right in the decline range more often than I think. Otherwise, it just doesn't make sense.

divisionbyzorro said:
My 10th EMP for the emblem evaded me a while as well. Have you gotten 10 EMPs before? Or are you just completing all challenges again since you're on 10th prestige?
I am stuck with 8 nukes so I could move to EMP's or something but I'd think it would be way easier to get 10 EMPs than it is to get 2 nukes :p I have gotten 24 kills 21 times now :(

Top Bottom