• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Teknoman

I always have this problem in games that mostly rely on down the sights aiming, but are smgs/assault rifles usually pretty accurate at mid-close range without aiming down the sights?

EDIT: Also going to be jumping into MP soon (realize its late at this point) so i'm hoping I dont get too much flack for being low rank :lol

Also are there tons of teams just using XBL party chat?

cdyhybrid

Teknoman said:
I always have this problem in games that mostly rely on down the sights aiming, but are smgs/assault rifles usually pretty accurate at mid-close range without aiming down the sights?

Depends on the gun. SMGs are beastly in close range without ADS, and you can still pick people off from mid range with Steady Aim Pro if you're good. I usually run a Marathon/Lightweight/Steady Aim (all Pro) class with a silenced MP5, strictly shooting from the hip. I hear the TAR21 is pretty good at close range without ADS, but I wouldn't make it a point to try shooting ARs from the hip, they're too accurate/powerful over longer ranges to use them in that fashion.

The one exception is the UMP, which basically combines all the good points of an assault rifle and an SMG.

WTF, just joined a running game and as I was half a minute in, somebody calls in a nuke with a 20 minute timer. But there was nobody with a 24 or 25 killstreak.

Out of curiosity, what's the longest thread in GAF history? I was hoping we could challenge whatever the record is, although traffic seems to have stalled here recently :(

EDIT: Nevermind. Looks like the Rock Band thread has 4x the number of posts we have :lol

On topic: Did anybody take a look at the quick-melee video I posted above?

vhfive

divisionbyzorro said:
Out of curiosity, what's the longest thread in GAF history? I was hoping we could challenge whatever the record is, although traffic seems to have stalled here recently :(

EDIT: Nevermind. Looks like the Rock Band thread has 4x the number of posts we have :lol

good luck and a word of advice try to stay somewhat on topic and refrain from personal attacks

sorry to budge in like this but..

is Special Ops completely broken for anyone else? not since release day have i been able to play it properly with anyone, tried with several friends and the LAG is just terrible, so bad that i almost fell from my chair laughing at how pathetic it is. it's ridiculously bad with just two players, no matter who is hosting. unplayable garbage. i've tried with people who live closer to me and Americans overseas (im in Europe), and no dice.

how the hell can such a high profile game not run a 2 player mode without horrendous lag? mindboggling.

vhfive said:
good luck and a word of advice try to stay somewhat on topic and refrain from personal attacks

??? Are you accusing me of something?

astroturfing said:
sorry to budge in like this but..

is Special Ops completely broken for anyone else? not since release day have i been able to play it properly with anyone, tried with several friends and the LAG is just terrible, so bad that i almost fell from my chair laughing at how pathetic it is. it's ridiculously bad with just two players, no matter who is hosting. unplayable garbage. i've tried with people who live closer to me and Americans overseas (im in Europe), and no dice.

how the hell can such a high profile game not run a 2 player mode without horrendous lag? mindboggling.

I know this doesn't help you, but I've never had an issue with Spec Ops. Always Americans to Americans though.

vhfive

divisionbyzorro said:
??? Are you accusing me of something?
Nope nothing in this thread (yea I lurk) comes close to what happens in the halo threads sometimes. I'm just saying it because that was the main reason the halo 3 thread got locked.

I believe this was the last nail in the coffin.:lol
kylej said:
How long until you fly to Ghaleon's house and give him a handjob?

divisionbyzorro said:
I know this doesn't help you, but I've never had an issue with Spec Ops. Always Americans to Americans though.

yeah i figure most people dont have any problems with it, otherwise there would have been more complaints and they would have fixed it, probably. you'd be shocked though if you saw how bad it works for me :D literally like 1 frame per 5 seconds at some moments. it's absolutely unplayable.

i'm just wondering if there's at least one person out there who has the same problem.

vhfive said:
Nope nothing in this thread (yea I lurk) comes close to what happens in the halo threads sometimes. I'm just saying it because that was the main reason the halo 3 thread got locked.

I believe this was the last nail in the coffin.:lol

Got it. Point well taken.

I don't think you could get this community to talk that kinda trash unless you started a MW2 vs BC2 thread. :lol

itsgreen

Is there a legit way (i.e. not a modded console) to get colored nicks/buttons in your nick?

Or should I auto-file complaint these people?

NIN90

itsgreen said:
Is there a legit way (i.e. not a modded console) to get colored nicks/buttons in your nick?

Well it is possible on PC by simply putting a ^ and a number infront of you name.
For example: If I put ^1NIN90 my name would be in red.

Wonder if the same applies to XBL tags. :lol

itsgreen said:

You can do it without modding your console, but it requires the help of someone who modded theirs. I always file a complaint against those people.

I file lots of complaints. The latest was against some guy with a gamertag of "EyeEatBaybeJuice."

aku:jiki

I had multiple pretty interesting things to post here, but I forgot all of them so I'll just brag about the tears I went on today! I finally clicked with the M16 and just tore fuckers up with that, nothing special really. My finest moment today was on Salvage when I killed the entire enemy team in like 25 seconds - I jumped off something and landed behind two guys and got them, wormed my way through their spawn and came up behind three more and then finally found the last two going for our bomb site. Yeah, they all came back for revenge. :lol

The Javelin spree on Scrapyard was a nice contender though... Went into Ground War for the first time in ages and, shit, every Javelin on GW Scrapyard is a kill! Doesn't matter where you shoot it! I joined the match when it was something like 120-80, took two steps forward and fired off a Javelin...quad kill. :lol Ended up going 25-11, all Javelin kills. :D

Got a few 60-15-ish games using only the M1014 and some good games playing explosives expert (frags, RPGs, SMG - no noobtubes). Oh, and I buzzkilled someone at 24-0. I knew he was close after the Chopper and right when I was trying to find him, a teammate launched a UAV and I saw a lone red dot. The dumbass was standing around hardscoping in the big bunker on Afghan, in the middle of the damn room. I just walked up and stuck him with semtex. How he even reached 24 is beyond me... :lol

Teknoman said:
Learn to aim down sight if you want to survive. Hipfire is a last resort thing in this game.

Stillmatic

divisionbyzorro said:
I used that method last night and it saved my ass a few times, cheers for the link. I found it most effective with a riot class. It increases the riot shield recovery a lot more than your standard knife melee, the only downer is if the enemy swipes at you when you do the button combo they'll get you since your shield's up briefly. But yeah, it rocks with the riot shield. Now instead of the enemy running away when you smack them once it's just 'bam - 'bam', and it's all over before they even knew a riot dude punched them in the face, twice.

Scarecrow

Is there a gaf groups that regularly meets to play? I'm getting a little numb playing with randoms. The small group I was playing with moved on the Battlefield and/or Splinter Cell.

Teknoman

Scarecrow said:
Is there a gaf groups that regularly meets to play? I'm getting a little numb playing with randoms. The small group I was playing with moved on the Battlefield and/or Splinter Cell.

There is/was a GAF Modern Warfare 2 metatag on the 360. What version are you playing?

jiien

Scarecrow said:
360. What was the metatag?

I thought people were going with 'nGAF' or something, but I don't remember. Feels like years ago in terms of this thread, heh.

Also, I like your avatar. +1. Lovin' the show.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
I've seen a couple of people with "GAF" as their tag. Sent one a message asking "Neogaf?" and never got a reply..

Have people complained enough about the netcode in this game? I've been playing more aggressive than usual lately because I've noticed that my reflexes seemed to improve, and I swear at least 50% of my close quarters deaths are due to latency. Keep in mind that I get 3 or 4 bars 98% of the time, but when I shoot someone square in the chest with the SPAS and don't even get a hitmarker then I know something is up. It's even worst when sniping you could hardscope onto someone and not even get a hitmarker and then quickscope a few inches above that same person's shoulder and get a one shot kill. I love this game but as soon as someone releases a clone with better hit detection, net code, and no bullshit perks then I'm jumping ship faster than the passengers of the Titanic.

Also I know I'm a little late but commando is the most bullshit perk in the game. Everyone was chiming in on which one was the cheapest a few pages back and I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents.

user_nat said:
I've seen a couple of people with "GAF" as their tag. Sent one a message asking "Neogaf?" and never got a reply..

If you ever want someone to play with then give me a holler on LIVE. I usually tend to role with a group of older dudes that are pretty mature and use teamwork to dominate objectives.

GT: SEBattleship

ZeroRay

MW2 is pretty crazy for me.

One game it's amazing fun times and the next, it feels like I'm playing a shitty Quake mod with all the noob toobs, commando using knife runners and bad spawns.

Funny story from when this game first came out. I was so excited when I unlocked S&D since it was my favorite mode from COD4, I was hoping that I was gonna get just as many hours out of it in MW2. Those hopes were quickly dashed when I ran into a Akimbo 1887 sniper with marathon, lightweight and commando. I then realized that the mode won't be as tactical as it was like in COD4. :lol

last night I woke up from sleep when someone ruined my 24 killstreak in Invasion by commando leaping across the map in Invasion. Otherwise it was pretty crazy nightmarey dream anyway but what the hell was that

PetriP-TNT said:
last night I woke up from sleep when someone ruined my 24 killstreak in Invasion by commando leaping across the map in Invasion. Otherwise it was pretty crazy nightmarey dream anyway but what the hell was that

Comandoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

aku:jiki

So here's one of the things I wanted to post yesterday: UrBrownEyed-Girl is still posting vids, and now she's getting serious and bought a HDPVR. So that should mean lots of vids by her in the future! In this one, she says Favela as charmingly as she says Pavelow... If she keeps that up I'm gonna develop an internet crush! :lol

Favela Domination Commentary

johnFkennedy said:
Have people complained enough about the netcode in this game? I've been playing more aggressive than usual lately because I've noticed that my reflexes seemed to improve, and I swear at least 50% of my close quarters deaths are due to latency. Keep in mind that I get 3 or 4 bars 98% of the time, but when I shoot someone square in the chest with the SPAS and don't even get a hitmarker then I know something is up.
I play very aggressively and basically every match I play feels like this. I basically have to luck into my streaks, as there's always gonna be situations where my bullets have no effect and I die for no good reason. I guess we're supposed to play this game more defensively. :/

So I'm coming to the end of my second prestige and I'm trying to decide how I should do my third. For the enitrety of this prestige I've used the SCAR and SPAS-12 because I get such great results with them, but I should probably vary it after 70 non-stop levels with that.

I was thinking maybe RPD/Raffica and playing at a much faster pace. I've had amazing success with stealth this prestige, should maybe running around a bit more on modes such as TDM, Domination and FFA would be refreshing.

Also, is anyone else noticing that the Stimulus maps are coming up a lot? I like that they're not buried, but it seems like I'm playing them in about 75% of matches.

johnFkennedy said:
Have people complained enough about the netcode in this game? I've been playing more aggressive than usual lately because I've noticed that my reflexes seemed to improve, and I swear at least 50% of my close quarters deaths are due to latency. Keep in mind that I get 3 or 4 bars 98% of the time, but when I shoot someone square in the chest with the SPAS and don't even get a hitmarker then I know something is up. It's even worst when sniping you could hardscope onto someone and not even get a hitmarker and then quickscope a few inches above that same person's shoulder and get a one shot kill. I love this game but as soon as someone releases a clone with better hit detection, net code, and no bullshit perks then I'm jumping ship faster than the passengers of the Titanic.

Also I know I'm a little late but commando is the most bullshit perk in the game. Everyone was chiming in on which one was the cheapest a few pages back and I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents.

I loved sniping in MW1. I have never bothered to stick with sniping in MW2 because the latency throws off the shots so damn much. Some people adjusted, I never bothered.

aku:jiki said:
I play very aggressively and basically every match I play feels like this. I basically have to luck into my streaks, as there's always gonna be situations where my bullets have no effect and I die for no good reason. I guess we're supposed to play this game more defensively. :/

Exactly! People bitch about camping, but the netcode of this game encourages it. Here's a common scenario: You run into the enemy, pump 6 shots into him, he shoots you three times and you die, you watch the killcam and it appears that you never even fired your weapon.

Also, who are you kidding? You're obsessed with this youtube chick. :D

johnFkennedy said:
This turned me off the game recently. I'm pretty much done with the game, give or take a few games here or there when I've got nothing better to do. Also getting sick and tired of all the host migrations failing.

Scarecrow

LosDaddie said:
Anyone know if there's a Double XP playlist this weekend on X360?

Also, anyone game for some SpecOps (on X360) this weekend?
I'd be up for some SpecOps, as I've still got a handfull of the hardest ones to do. But only if you consider yourself a patient person. Not that I'm terrible (or maybe I am), but it's never productive if the other teammates are flipping out because they died.

LosDaddie

Banned
FunBoy said:
I played COD2 on lan today its amazing. Ill never play another modern warfare game again....

Great news. That means we won't be seeing you trolling this thread anymore. It's a win-win all around. :D

Scarecrow said:
I'd be up for some SpecOps, as I've still got a handfull of the hardest ones to do. But only if you consider yourself a patient person. Not that I'm terrible (or maybe I am), but it's never productive if the other teammates are flipping out because they died.

Word. I'm game. I mainly have the difficult specops missions left too. Send me an invite. XBL: LosDaddie

I mainly game at night starting around 10pm

divisionbyzorro said:
I'm not sure if this is new or not (it's new to me), but it seemed important enough for it's own post:

Machinima just posted a video from DnB OoS, showing something that seems like the MW2 equivalent of BXR:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=256QMSzUTM0

I definitely need to practice this with the Riot Shield.

Oh god a 1 shot kill riot shield will be insane, typically this glitch wouldnt be too bad but the rush of people trying it with riot shields could be horrible.

:(

Jhoan

[GAF] seems to be the common tag that people use from this forum. I use the tag GAF and once found myself in a match with one but I never asked him if he was from the forum. Ironically I have a bunch of people from GAF added but we never play together for some odd reason. :lol I'll be down for some Spec Ops if anyone wants to do it but my mic is busted, so I may have to get a new one or try to fix it.

divisionbyzorro said:
I got to experience all of the joys of FFA, including screwing over boosters and making them rage quit :lol

I saw my very first boosters on Domination last night. They were hiding between two trucks on Salvage in one of the rarely-used paths.

At first I didn't know why there were two opposing team members standing over a tactical insertion, but it became clear when my teammate kept killing the enemy and waiting for him to drop another tac.

When I made my presence known it was almost as though I'd caught them in flagrante delicto with their pants down. They just stared at me for a second until my teammate charged me and the enemy ran around and knifed my side. I immediately went back and stuck a semtex to my teammate.

Does this make me a bad person?

Scarecrow

LosDaddie said:
Great news. That means we won't be seeing you trolling this thread anymore. It's a win-win all around. :D

Word. I'm game. I mainly have the difficult specops missions left too. Send me an invite. XBL: LosDaddie

I mainly game at night starting around 10pm
Groovy. I may be able to get on tonight.

johnFkennedy said:
Exactly! People bitch about camping, but the netcode of this game encourages it. Here's a common scenario: You run into the enemy, pump 6 shots into him, he shoots you three times and you die, you watch the killcam and it appears that you never even fired your weapon.

The only times I ever really notice lag issues (assuming I have 4 bars, which is most of the time) is in a shotgun vs shotgun battle. I suppose I'm blessed with a good ISP? I also skip most killcams :lol

I've said it before: I don't think the netcode in this game is any worse than any other shooter. But since they let you see the killcam, they give you absolute proof of when lag killed you versus skill. I guarantee you I've had tons of deaths in BF1943 that were due totally to lag. But they don't let me see it, so...

And I'm getting more and more pissed at ISPs throttling their customer's bandwidth as soon as their uploads spike. That's why you see so many host migrations - someone's connection looks superb until they start hosting the game and their ISP starts throttling them. Ugh. The world's network infrastructure still leaves a lot to be desired.

jiien

PalaceBrother said:
I saw my very first boosters on Domination last night. They were hiding between two trucks on Salvage in one of the rarely-used paths.

At first I didn't know why there were two opposing team members standing over a tactical insertion, but it became clear when my teammate kept killing the enemy and waiting for him to drop another tac.

When I made my presence known it was almost as though I'd caught them in flagrante delicto with their pants down. They just stared at me for a second until my teammate charged me and the enemy ran around and knifed my side. I immediately went back and stuck a semtex to my teammate.

Does this make me a bad person?

Rape them with no hesitation next time.

Teknoman

I'd be up for spec ops too since I havent touched either MP mode yet, and just beat SP the other day.

johnFkennedy said:
If you ever want someone to play with then give me a holler on LIVE. I usually tend to role with a group of older dudes that are pretty mature and use teamwork to dominate objectives.

GT: SEBattleship

Yeah saw you on the other day.

I'll post the XBL tag that has most of GAF on its friends list in abit.

jiien

PalaceBrother said:
I was surprised to see them in Domination. Isn't it tough to find a conspirator on the enemy team to do this with in team based games?

Actually, it's modes like Domination where it's easier, because it's harder to notice the disparity in the number of kills when the score doesn't rely on kills (like TDM).

And how it goes is that you find a friend to do this with, join his session, and hope you get on opposite teams. They usually aren't just randoms you do this with, it's planned ahead of time with someone you know outside of the game.

Top Bottom