• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 |OT|

Neverender said:
serious question... why would they leave grenade launchers in the game? i mean they have to be the most annoying fucking part of the game for me and i assume many others, i have no idea why they thought it was a good idea to make the same mistake twice
if grenade launchers were to be removed, so would be secondary launchers.

Saw two guys with the same clan on scrapyard yesterday just firing Javelins the whole time left and right. They didn't get a kill at all if remember correctly, but well..:lol

MrDaravon

Patrick Bateman said:
Saw two guys with the same clan on scrapyard yesterday just firing Javelins the whole time left and right. They didn't get a kill at all if remember correctly, but well..:lol

One time we were playing Ground War, and the entire other team was one clan, and they did absolutely NOTHING but fire Javelins the whole match. We completely destroyed them, but the sound of 8 or 9 Javelins being launched and landing non-fucking-stop is horrifying.

Ladyboy101 said:

Whats your reason for thinking this? Luanchers are not as effective against infantry so arent as 'bad' - they are required for use against kill streaks. I just dont understand the design decision behind the Noob Tube.

I dunno what you guys are seeing about the grenade launchers. The only person I ever see using grenade launchers the entire match for games on end is myself and thats with scavenger. I've never seen this one man army grenade launcher combo.

JustHadToJoin said:
I dunno what you guys are seeing about the grenade launchers. The only person I ever see using grenade launchers the entire match for games on end is myself and thats with scavenger. I've never seen this one man army grenade launcher combo.

Much like everything else in this game, OMA whoring is a small problem blown way out of proportion on the Internet.

As for grenade launchers, why would you get rid of them? They are great for busting up campers. Why risk run around the entrance where I know people are camping, risking death by C4, claymore, gunfire etc when I can just shoot an M203 in there and kill everyone? Wouldn't their time be better spent removing Commando, and HBS?

Meier

Finally started playing again and bought the Stimulus Package. Not a fan of the new maps yet since I keep getting owned on them but I love the junkyard one. Very intense. I didnt play MW1 online so I dont know what's a remake and what's new.

I started to get closer to my old form but still lack the itchy trigger finger you need to really excel. Some bastard was using an LMG and kept mowing me down.. damn he was good with it. My K/D ratio is officially 1.35 but I pretty much always got 2:1 or 3:1 when I stopped before. Now I am getting more like 12/9 or 13/8 fairly often but oh well.

I did have a 22/1/1 game which was pretty exciting. It's fairly cheap but I use OMA with my primary set up because I love those claymores. I switch to my Sniper set-up (also with OMA) quite regularly.

Accidentus

Neo Member
Bumblebeetuna said:
Much like everything else in this game, OMA whoring is a small problem blown way out of proportion on the Internet.

As for grenade launchers, why would you get rid of them? They are great for busting up campers. Why risk run around the entrance where I know people are camping, risking death by C4, claymore, gunfire etc when I can just shoot an M203 in there and kill everyone? Wouldn't their time be better spent removing Commando, and HBS?
I don't have a problem with grenade launchers, it's OMA that I have a problem with (and IW is apparently looking into). HBS isn't a problem, just use ninja. Commando I wouldn't have a problem with if they somehow removed the invincibility frames (not likely).

Dresden

Bumblebeetuna said:

So grenade launchers are okay, but HBS should be removed, despite there being a clear counter for one and none for the other? Okay, dude. :lol

Bumblebeetuna said:

The problem is that when it happens, it can totally break a game.

I wish I could find the video that was posted here a while back showing some douchebag playing Domination on Derail, bombing Charlie from Alpha and getting a massive killstreak without ever moving or exposing himself.

Dresden

divisionbyzorro said:
The problem is that when it happens, it can totally break a game.

I wish I could find the video that was posted here a while back showing some douchebag playing Domination on Derail, bombing Charlie from Alpha and getting a massive killstreak without ever moving or exposing himself.
You can also do this on Rundown, or Salvage... bomb A from C. Hell, you can probably do it on most maps, those two are just the ones I'm most aware of (i.e., getting killed by them in that situation). Normally, they'd be out of grenades so it'd be okay afterwards, but with OMA they don't even have to scavenge for loot to resupply.

Kujo

Just got 28-0 yay

salva said:
I reached 10 prestige a couple of days ago :/
What'd your time played?

@ OMA Tubing - I see at least 1-2 people with it every time I play Terminal, I used to like that map :(

zam

Dresden said:
You can also do this on Rundown, or Salvage... bomb A from C. Hell, you can probably do it on most maps, those two are just the ones I'm most aware of (i.e., getting killed by them in that situation). Normally, they'd be out of grenades so it'd be okay afterwards, but with OMA they don't even have to scavenge for loot to resupply.
This is why they should do like in cod4 and make a grenade launcher take up the perk 1 slot. Then they can't scavenge or OMA switch to get more ammo without dying. Still isn't going to fix the problem but might stem the worst of it. Danger Close however, that's just IW catering directly to noob-tubers (and/or rpg-whores)

Bumblebeetuna said:

Just out of interest how much have you played mw2 online? Time played/level etc? Cause it sounds like you are talking about a completely different game. I run into OMA/Scavenger + Danger Close noob-tubers at least every third game.

Grenade launchers do have their uses, as you say for campers, but what makes noob-tubes so annoying is the use of noob-tubes together with scavenger or oma and danger close. And I agree that HBS should be removed from the game, it's just a crutch for players who can't listen for footsteps. If you have ninja on, you can't show up on hbs and your footsteps are silent, so the only pplayers the people with hbs can find are ones they could find just listening for footsteps.

zam said:
Just out of interest how much have you played mw2 online? Time played/level etc? Cause it sounds like you are talking about a completely different game. I run into OMA/Scavenger + Danger Close noob-tubers at least every third game.

Sounds about right. I only play in hour spurts or so, and there hasn't been a session where I haven't run into a couple of noob-tubers / OMA's a night over the past 2 weeks. The absolute worst is when you face an entire team or clan of them. Ruins the game imo. I mostly play HQ or domination if it makes a difference.

I almost never see OMA noobtubers anymore. I ran into one the other day on Scrapyard and then Terminal. Must have been the first time in months. I switched up my class to the ol' Witchblade and meh, problem solved?

I play mTDM, Domination, HQ Pro, and Team Tactical.

Accidentus

Neo Member
foomfoom415 said:
I almost never see OMA noobtubers anymore. I ran into one the other day on Scrapyard and then Terminal. Must have been the first time in months. I switched up my class to the ol' Witchblade and meh, problem solved?

I play mTDM, Domination, HQ Pro, and Team Tactical.
Weird, I feel like HQ Pro is the worst offender for OMA tubers.

jiien

Accidentus said:
Weird, I feel like HQ Pro is the worst offender for OMA tubers.

Yeah, definitely agree. I hate it when it pops up in Mosh Pit. As soon as your team captures the HQ, you can pretty much expect a never-ending hail of grenades inside.

Dresden

I thought Ground War domination was the worst, since you sometimes get two or three people who think it's auto-nuke with the OMA setup.

Also got my seventh nuke, this time with the Barett.

jedimike said:
I really don't understand how or why you would boost cold blooded... I mean, boosting would only be marginally faster than just oh you know... playing the game.

Play some FFA, there's plenty of aircraft coming in for you to shoot down.

whelp.. the PS3 version still has 3rd person cage match, so I'm not hurting anybody. and if anyone would care to help.. please do so.

bobs99 ... said:
Whats your reason for thinking this? Luanchers are not as effective against infantry so arent as 'bad' - they are required for use against kill streaks. I just dont understand the design decision behind the Noob Tube.
scavenger danger close RPG, AT4, Thumper?

Ladyboy101 said:
scavenger danger close RPG, AT4, Thumper?

Yeah but those weapons take a while to actually use, are harder to use and leave you pretty vulnerable, I would say these weapons are almost balanced compared to how bad the Noob Tubes are.

Dresden

bobs99 ... said:
Yeah but those weapons take a while to actually use, are harder to use and leave you pretty vulnerable, I would say these weapons are almost balanced compared to how bad the Noob Tubes are.
Well, you can practically snipe with the AT4, and clear out entire rooms with them as well--and the thumpers ARE just grenade launchers, so that's that. By themselves, they're actually just as or more powerful than a regular noob tube.

Modern Warfare 2 is the first shooter i play online. Spent a lot of time playing racing and sports games, and decided to give MW2 a try.

So far i'm loving it, but there are a couple of questions about why i suck so much on this game.

I'm at level 48, and i have played 2 days on the game count. I have about 2.400 kills and 4.700 deaths. Playing mostly team death match and free for all.

Found this game to be more arcadey than i expected.

Now, what bothers me is this. The reason why i got so many deaths is because in many ocasions whenever i spot someone and vice versa, i'm too slow to aim and start shooting. It doesn't matter what i try, i always end up shooting later and dying.

I live in Brazil and i know ping is a huge factor, but still, how can people aim so fast?

Is there any trick to fast aim?
Do you guys not use the L1 button? (aiming down the sight). because i use everytime i see someone.

What am i doing wrong on those scenarios?

I'm running FAL with holographic, thumper, stun grenades, C4, claymore or tactical insertion (whatever works best on the scenario), marathon pro, hardline pro and commando pro.

My carrear best is 28 kills, streak is 12 and half of my kills are with the knife because i run around a lot.

Any comments?

moojito

Start firing and aiming down the sight at the same time. That helps some people. The other more obvious one is that the better you know the maps, the better you'll know where enemies are likely to be and be prepared.

Accidentus

Neo Member
seattle6418 said:
Modern Warfare 2 is the first shooter i play online. Spent a lot of time playing racing and sports games, and decided to give MW2 a try.

So far i'm loving it, but there are a couple of questions about why i suck so much on this game.

I'm at level 48, and i have played 2 days on the game count. I have about 2.400 kills and 4.700 deaths. Playing mostly team death match and free for all.

Found this game to be more arcadey than i expected.

Now, what bothers me is this. The reason why i got so many deaths is because in many ocasions whenever i spot someone and vice versa, i'm too slow to aim and start shooting. It doesn't matter what i try, i always end up shooting later and dying.

I live in Brazil and i know ping is a huge factor, but still, how can people aim so fast?

Is there any trick to fast aim?
Do you guys not use the L1 button? (aiming down the sight). because i use everytime i see someone.

What am i doing wrong on those scenarios?

I'm running FAL with holographic, thumper, stun grenades, C4, claymore or tactical insertion (whatever works best on the scenario), marathon pro, hardline pro and commando pro.

My carrear best is 28 kills, streak is 12 and half of my kills are with the knife because i run around a lot.

Any comments?
Couple reasons.

1. Sleight of hand pro decreases the ADS (aim down sight) time for all weapons.
2. Most players know the maps by now. Just knowing where to look at all times is 50% of this game. Chances are they either see you first or to automatically look down the sight when rounding this corner/going down this hallway/etc.
3. Obviously the latency of living in Brazil is going to be a factor when playing a game of mostly North American players.

also, why's your name seattle and you live in Brazil?

aku:jiki

Dresden said:
Well, you can practically snipe with the AT4, and clear out entire rooms with them as well--and the thumpers ARE just grenade launchers, so that's that. By themselves, they're actually just as or more powerful than a regular noob tube.
Nah, the AT4 curves like the RPG does. Less so, yeah, but sniping with it practically impossible (without luck).

The Thumper is vastly different from a regular tube:
1) It takes three times as long to fire (forced ADS like all launchers).
2) The grenade travels a little faster.
3) The grenade curves Slightly differently.

All in all, a Thumper is MUCH harder to use than a noobtube and getting consistent kills with it takes at least some skill. I am nowhere near as bothered by it as I am by the noobtube.

Oh, and the Javelin just rules for fun. I went like 50-3 almost exvlusively using it today... Three Chopper Gunners! :D

Accidentus said:
Couple reasons.

1. Sleight of hand pro decreases the ADS (aim down sight) time for all weapons.
2. Most players know the maps by now. Just knowing where to look at all times is 50% of this game. Chances are they either see you first or to automatically look down the sight when rounding this corner/going down this hallway/etc.
3. Obviously the latency of living in Brazil is going to be a factor when playing a game of mostly North American players.

also, why's your name seattle and you live in Brazil?

Thanks for the imput, i will try the sleight of hand perk to see if it helps... i just have to get used to not having unlimited sprint.

After a month or so, i know some of the maps pretty well, but some of them i'm still learning. I guess i have to look out for corners.

As for the name, i started using it because i'm a huge Seattle Sonics fan. The team does not exist anymore, but the name still stands.

Aselith

aku:jiki said:
Nah, the AT4 curves like the RPG does. Less so, yeah, but sniping with it practically impossible (without luck).

The Thumper is vastly different from a regular tube:
1) It takes three times as long to fire (forced ADS like all launchers).
2) The grenade travels a little faster.
3) The grenade curves Slightly differently.

All in all, a Thumper is MUCH harder to use than a noobtube and getting consistent kills with it takes at least some skill. I am nowhere near as bothered by it as I am by the noobtube.

Oh, and the Javelin just rules for fun. I went like 50-3 almost exvlusively using it today... Three Chopper Gunners! :D

You don't have to ADS with the Thumper. In fact, I found it's much easier to use if you don't. It also doesn't do what feels like a weird curve if you don't ADS.

Tamanon

Banned
I think the most popular use of the thumper is clearing out that sniper's nest in Invasion(whatever the map is that takes place in a burnt out city)

Although I just like parking way on the other side of the map in that garage, peeking around the corner and silent snipering them off the ledge.:D

vhfive

seattle6418 said:
Thanks for the imput, i will try the sleight of hand perk to see if it helps... i just have to get used to not having unlimited sprint.

After a month or so, i know some of the maps pretty well, but some of them i'm still learning. I guess i have to look out for corners.

As for the name, i started using it because i'm a huge Seattle Sonics fan. The team does not exist anymore, but the name still stands.
I would also stop using the FAL and start using the ACR. Lag can cause a big problem with the FAL (since every bullet is important) and the ACR is imo the best gun for newcomers to fps (I hope you don't take offensive to that :p) because it's a much more forgiving gun (it fire lots of bullets fast). Couple it with stopping power and your good to go.

aku:jiki

Aselith said:
You don't have to ADS with the Thumper. In fact, I found it's much easier to use if you don't. It also doesn't do what feels like a weird curve if you don't ADS.
Yes, you do. It goes into auto-ADS as you fire it, like all launchers do.

seattle6418 said:

Unlimited sprint is what has been killing you. Unless you have Lightweight Pro, you have a very significant delay in firing your weapon when coming out of a sprint. Never sprint where there might be enemies around unless you have Lightweight Pro. In general, sprinting should be only used to get yourself into position faster, or get yourself out of a dangerous situation. Unlimited sprint is really only good for an SMG class in which you're deliberately trying to flank the enemy, or a knife runner class.

zam said:

I have 8-9 days logged on the 360 and a little under a day on PS3. In my experience its not rare but its not as common as people on message boards make it out to be. Not even close. Maybe its just rage from being noob tubed into oblivion, idk. But I think its just as lame as a dude running warp speed and knifing me from 10 feet away.

Mo0

Running at warp speed and knifing people from 10 feet away is SO FUN when you do it, though. I think that's what keeps Marathon/Lightweight/Commando relatively prevalent, it's a great stress reliever.

Mo0 said:
Running at warp speed and knifing people from 10 feet away is SO FUN when you do it, though. I think that's what keeps Marathon/Lightweight/Commando relatively prevalent, it's a great stress reliever.

Thats my problem with this game, its grief heaven. It honestly seems like people camp/ knife run/ Noob tube more to take the piss than anything.

Its bad enough using cheesy tactics to win, but if your just doing it for stress release, I hate you.

Mo0 said:

So is noob tubing people into dust with an endless wave of M203's :D

I agree with the guy above me, I hate the idea of using something just as some sort of stress relief but at the same time, I'll be damned if my custom class list isn't full of classes designed simply for "revenge grief" or classes designed simply to stop the broken shit in this game. It's like an endless cycle of douchebaggery and grief in this game. Please make a bare bones or MW1 playlist.

WTF I didn't play this damn game for a week and now there's a new elevator glitch for Karachi? Or was the old glitch just never fixed? Because I was just playing GW domination and two guys with [042] tags were in places I have never seen people go, on balconys and roof tops and owning like hell

Maximus.

Ladyboy101 said:

umm no. Noob tubes are fucking annoying when a whole team constantly spams them. I get it if one uses them when a team is grouped together or to flesh people out, but using it as a means of primary attack is retarded. Launchers are generally ineffective against people, since 2 of the launchers are meant for aircraft destruction and RPGs have a good change of missing or "bouncing". Thumpers are the only thing that have the same true effect as noob tubes.

Fugu

I realized today that the reason I didn't enjoy MW2 is because everything I wanted them to do to MW2 already existed as a game and that game was called CoD4. Needless to say, I've been playing a lot of CoD4. It's nice to feel like you've actually *earned* your kills.

Top Bottom